PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Mini Now Available

Odd Man Out
09-19-2013, 14:48
I just ordered the new Sawyer Mini from Amazon. On sale for $19.95 or $24.50 with shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Mini-Water-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=sr_1_12?s=outdoor-recreation&srs=2600131011&ie=UTF8&qid=1379614714&sr=1-12&keywords=sawyer

I found a few other places too.

http://www.fourseasonssurvival.com/search.asp?keyword=sawyer+mini&search=GO

http://www.highwaterfilters.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sawyer+mini
(this one may be cheaper with free shipping?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sawyer-Mini-Water-Filtration-System-Filters-up-to-100-000-Gallons-SAWSP128-/400575662936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d442b8b58

http://gossamergear.com/etc/hydration/sawyer-mini-water-filter.html
(coming Sep 20)

tammons
09-20-2013, 12:39
Got mine today. Filter alone weighs 1.2 oz on my scales

jvreeland
09-20-2013, 14:39
Now sold out on Amazon :(

Maddog
09-20-2013, 16:16
I have the regular Sawyer, but will definitley pick up the Mini when I can! Maddog:D

geomaniac
09-20-2013, 16:28
I am thinking about buying one, but worry about getting in a situation where there is very little water at a water source. I have been in situations where I was glad to have my pump style filter. What do those of you who use the squeeze filters do in those cases?

hobbs
09-20-2013, 16:47
I am thinking about buying one, but worry about getting in a situation where there is very little water at a water source. I have been in situations where I was glad to have my pump style filter. What do those of you who use the squeeze filters do in those cases?

I have the same question..I know the Everlast bottles fit the Sawyer also..

hikerboy57
09-20-2013, 16:48
i use a cup to scoop water into the bladder

hobbs
09-20-2013, 16:56
i use a cup to scoop water into the bladder

Thanks that answers my question..I always have a cup with me for coffee.I take the weight penalty..

tammons
09-20-2013, 17:22
I have one rig that is 2 20 oz pop bottles of different designs and if you buy the right 2 bottles and up right you can cut the bottom of one, the top off another then they will slide over each other. The top serves as a funnel and the bottom as a scooper. There are a variety of sizes that will nest. There are also 2 different 1L pop/water bottles will also nest. I think a couple of 16 oz bottles. The 1L bottle that nest are one white, one green and the green one is a Ginger ale bottle if I remember right. Its been a while since I have made any.

Odd Man Out
09-20-2013, 19:02
I have the same question..I know the Everlast bottles fit the Sawyer also..

I think you mean Evernew. Everlast makes boxing equipment.
And I'm pretty sure all suppliers of Evernew bottles are sold out (in the US), unless a new shipment has come in the last few days.

geomaniac
09-20-2013, 19:39
Thanks that answers my question..I always have a cup with me for coffee.I take the weight penalty..
That sounds like a good solution. I could probably make a scoop from an empty drink bottle. Thanks for the input.

leaftye
09-20-2013, 20:42
That sounds like a good solution. I could probably make a scoop from an empty drink bottle. Thanks for the input.

That's exactly what I do. I find Smartwater bottles are ideal for this.

Odd Man Out
09-25-2013, 19:18
I got my Sawyer Mini. I haven't used it yet, but I do see one problem. The outlet tube does not fit the syringe for back flushing. It doesn't fit the drinking straw either. The instructions say to backflush with some force, but without a good seal, I don't see how to do that. Am I missing something?

redseal
09-26-2013, 19:27
Keep an eye out for my next blog that reviews this product. I will also be giving one away for free to a lucky reader!

redseal
09-26-2013, 19:33
@Odd Man Out. The seal may not seem great, but indeed it works. You just place the tip of the syringe inside the tip of the filter port and push. Of course, you need to hold the syringe there with some pressure, but if done right you should have no problem.

verysimple
09-26-2013, 21:12
Keep an eye out for my next blog that reviews this product. I will also be giving one away for free to a lucky reader!

Link please...

HooKooDooKu
09-26-2013, 21:48
Looks like they should be hitting the stores pretty soon because... well I was about to post that they are now available at REI... but that was at lunch time today. It looks like they are already sold out.
Sawyer Mini at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/866577/sawyer-mini-water-filter)

BobL
09-26-2013, 22:02
From what I can see, the $20 Sawyer Mini is just the filter. What do you need to add to it to make a functional system?

verysimple
09-26-2013, 22:43
From what I can see, the $20 Sawyer Mini is just the filter. What do you need to add to it to make a functional system?

Water.......

HooKooDooKu
09-27-2013, 02:14
It's the filter, a 16oz bag, and a straw.

The straw is designed so that you can suck water strait out of a "dirty" container. Simply connect the straw to the back of the filter, insert the straw in the water, and suck on the output of the filter.

You can also fill the 16oz bag with dirty water, attach it to the back of the filter, and squeeze the water through the filter.

So 'verysimple' has it exactly right, you only NEED water.

However, because the filter has nipples on both ends, you can also take a water-bladder/tube/bit-valve system, cut the tube, insert the filter in the two ends of the tubing, fill your water-bladder with 'dirty' water and drink.

You can also get a pair of water-bladder/tube systems, connect the two tubes to the filter, and turn it into a gravity filter.

Deacon
09-27-2013, 06:24
So does the new Sawyer mini have the same thread pitch as the original version? The former version fitted the Evernew bladders, but not to well on a Platypus.

HooKooDooKu
09-27-2013, 09:42
So does the new Sawyer mini have the same thread pitch as the original version? The former version fitted the Evernew bladders, but not to well on a Platypus.

Same squeeze bags therefore still the same pitch.

It doesn't make much business sense to require different bags for different products in your product line.

Think of the history... Sawyer designed the product and expected you to use their bags. But they were "nice" enough to design the threads so that most common water bottles would also fit the Sawyer. They never anticipated people wanting to use the Platypus. But then their early bags had high failure rates, so people wanted to use something stronger. The most common thing on the market still similar to the failing Sawyer bags was the Platypus. But like I said, Sawyer didn't design the filter to be used with Platypus so they don't work very well together.

Now that Sawyer has picked a design, it doesn't make much business sense to modify your design to conform to a competitors product nor modify your design so that different products in your product line require different accessories.

And pay attention to that part above about "confirm to a competitors product". The easiest way for Sawyer to allow a Platypus to be connected directly to the Sawyer is to build a small light-weight adapter. Either Sawyer or Platypus could easily make such an adapter. But because they are competitors, neither side has done that.

Odd Man Out
09-27-2013, 11:29
It's the filter, a 16oz bag, and a straw.
You can also get a pair of water-bladder/tube systems, connect the two tubes to the filter, and turn it into a gravity filter.

It also has the syringe for backflushing, so it has everything you need , except a backup water bag.

I occured to me that because the threads match standard soda bottles, you could use a soda bottle as a dirty water reservoir in a pinch. Just drill a hole in the bottom and set it up to gravity filter. Or leave intact and squeeze (but might need to unscrew after squeezing to let air back in the bottle for the next squeeze). They are bulkier than a water bag, but cheap and lightweight. I might try this.

Train Wreck
09-27-2013, 12:55
Looks like Amazon has some more in stock!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FA2RLX2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Starchild
09-27-2013, 13:25
I occured to me that because the threads match standard soda bottles, you could use a soda bottle as a dirty water reservoir in a pinch. Just drill a hole in the bottom and set it up to gravity filter. Or leave intact and squeeze (but might need to unscrew after squeezing to let air back in the bottle for the next squeeze). They are bulkier than a water bag, but cheap and lightweight. I might try this. I have seen quite a few soda bottle's hooked up to the old squeeze and they seemed to work well.

redseal
09-28-2013, 14:30
Follow my blog at: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/page/1. The review and giveaway should be up on Sunday 9/29/13.

Link please...

redseal
09-28-2013, 16:03
I couldn't wait...check out this link for a gear review and FREE GIVEAWAY...http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/44

Follow my blog at: http://www.backpackingengineer.com/blog.php/page/1. The review and giveaway should be up on Sunday 9/29/13.

mattyoc20
09-29-2013, 08:39
This is great my buddy is looking for one

Dharma Dog
10-01-2013, 01:33
19.99 at basegear.com and you get an additional 20% off if you join their emailing list. I order from basegear at least once a month. Customer service is excellent.

Deacon
10-01-2013, 12:17
I would gladly pay 19.99 just to stay off another email list.

Deacon
10-01-2013, 12:19
19.99 at basegear.com and you get an additional 20% off if you join their emailing list. I order from basegear at least once a month. Customer service is excellent.

I would gladly pay 19.99 just to avoid another ema list. (Sarcasm).