PDA

View Full Version : Super noob questions

xalex
09-19-2013, 23:02
Hi again everyone.
First thanks for all the VERY nice responses I've had in my other threads.

In this thread I'd like to ask some super noob questions about hiking/camping. Someone sort of on the edge thinking about doing the AT next year.

My first question is somewhat embarassing.. but I don't really know anyone with camping/hiking experience so I don't have anyone to learn this from.

Fire? Whats your technique for building and do you carry anything other than a lighter on the trail? When its raining do you do anything different?

If this goes well I have plenty more noob skills I'd like to acquire. But I guess I'll stick with one at a time. :o

xalex
09-19-2013, 23:04
I suppose a big part of your hike might be gathering fire wood and other materials at the end of the day? What's the best method I should go about practicing building fire? (Trying not to sound like a complete idiot)

HooKooDooKu
09-19-2013, 23:14
First of all, if you plan to hike the AT, forget about fires. They take time and energy, make your cloths smell of smoke. There really isn't a NEED to build a fire except in cases of an emergency. Your primary source of warmth will need to be your cloths and a stove to make a hot meal.

Otherwise, to get started, you might want to begin by going to your local library and checking out some books on hiking. I think it will be easier to first read lots of information on the subject, then return to places like this forum to ask specific questions you might have.

BTW, most camping books will include some basics on how to build a fire. There isn't one right way.

Sarcasm the elf
09-19-2013, 23:25
First off :welcome. You don't sound like an idiot, you simply sound like you are new to hiking and all of us were in the same position at some point.

The honest answer is that most of us don't have campfires when long distance hiking. I love a good fire when I'm on a camping trip, but when I'm long distance hiking they're just not worth the time and effort.

Usually when I'm on an extended trip, I wake up, pack-up and break camp fast, hike about a mile in order to wake up/warm up and then stop and eat breakfast (maybe even make coffee). Then I take my time slowly but surely hiking, stopping and starting and snacking and enjoying the views and hiking again, doing this all day until I get to camp just before or sometimes after dark. I set up my tent, get my sleeping bag and gear settled in for the night and go about eating dinner then brush my teeth and relax for a while until hiker midnight (aka about an hour after dark). I go to sleep, wake up around dawn and do it all over again. Not much time or need for a fire.

Sarcasm the elf
09-19-2013, 23:32
If you're asking about fires because of cooking, most long distance hikers these days cook using either an isobutane stove such as the MSR Pocket rocket or the jetboil, or a lightweight alcohol stove.

Check out the link below which will bring you to good overview of different stoves (written by Mags, who is a moderator on this site).

http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use

It's also worth checking out the other articles on his site because he has a number of write ups that are designed for beginners.

http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail

bobtomaskovic
09-19-2013, 23:55
No Worries on the AT. Going northbound somebody will have a fire going at pretty much every shelter until everyone realizes it's just too much work. It takes a month or two.

ChinMusic
09-20-2013, 03:35
I started exactly one fire on my recent thru. Too much work. I would guess I saw only a couple dozen fires this season. Many were during bug season for obvious reasons.

I do enjoy a fire and if I'm taking advantage of someone else's fire I try to contribute some wood.

illabelle
09-20-2013, 05:26
Otherwise, to get started, you might want to begin by going to your local library and checking out some books on hiking. I think it will be easier to first read lots of information on the subject, then return to places like this forum to ask specific questions you might have.

Another option to get up to speed on the basics in the AT thru-hiking context is to read EVERYTHING on this site multiple times: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/
And another resource is trailjournals.com. This link is for one of our favorites, Josh Calhoun (aka Rash) http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=420450

Rocket Jones
09-20-2013, 06:24
To answer at least part of your original question, most hikers will carry a mini-bic lighter (or two). Many carry at least a backup fire source - hence the second lighter - which can also be waterproof matches, firesteel or something even more exotic. For emergency tinder, I carry 3-4 cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (vaseline). You can spread one out wispy thin and they'll burn a surprisingly long time, bonus because they weigh practically nothing.

Hikes in Rain
09-20-2013, 08:08
To also expand on the original question, on how to build a fire. The chapter on fires in Horace Kephart's "Camp Cookery" (1910!) is about the best there is. I like fires, even though as most everyone here has indicated, I rarely build them anymore.

Here's a link to Google Book's on line copy. Should (I hope!) open to the fire chapter. http://books.google.com/books?id=CFwEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA28&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

yellowsirocco
09-20-2013, 11:21
How do I build a fire? I hang around potheads, they usually make fires. Bring some brats to roast over the fire and the the potheads provide the entertainment. Dinner and a show.

Seriously, lately I have been doing a lot of cooking over a fire on my first night out and eating very well. Look up the top down method of making a fire, it is counter intuitive but works.

Slo-go'en
09-20-2013, 12:25
It's not the potheads who make fires, it's the drunks :)

I had two collage freashman girls come over to my little campfire one evening. They were part of one of those orientation groups which are all over the trail in September. It was drizzling a little and had been on and off all day. So, they come over and asked "Sir, where can we find some dry fire wood?" I couldn't resist. I replied with as much seriousness as I could, "What, you didn't bring any with you?" The look on thier faces was priceless.

Of course, I then went on to explain about standing dead wood and that much of the wood even on the ground was only damp on the outside. But this shelter was pretty close to Hanover so was picked over really clean. I had gotten my little pile of wood way down the trail. They never did get a fire going that night.

Anyway, Bic lighters are the fire starter of choice. Don't cheapen out on an off brand, they often fail. It's a good idea to have two, with one stashed away as an emergency spare. If your not a smoker, a mini bic will last a long time.

As to how to build a fire, there will be pleanty of people around to show you how to (or how not to) build one. When you get to New England, birch bark makes really good fire starter and will burn when wet. You want the paper birch, not silver birch. The paper birch has bark which comes off in big sheets. There is never any around campsites, so I pick it up along the trail during the day when I see it on the ground.

Fires are real popular early on the trail, but peter out as you go north. After a while you realise you have better things to do than hunt for fire wood and tend fires.

Venchka
09-20-2013, 14:34
Hi again everyone.
First thanks for all the VERY nice responses I've had in my other threads.

In this thread I'd like to ask some super noob questions about hiking/camping. Someone sort of on the edge thinking about doing the AT next year.

My first question is somewhat embarassing.. but I don't really know anyone with camping/hiking experience so I don't have anyone to learn this from.

Fire? Whats your technique for building and do you carry anything other than a lighter on the trail? When its raining do you do anything different?

If this goes well I have plenty more noob skills I'd like to acquire. But I guess I'll stick with one at a time. :o

Remember books? Everything you need to know has been written down and published in books.
Remember the library? A building built for the purpose of holding and lending books.

You will encounter many ready fires at shelters along the trail.
For heating water & cooking, carry and use a stove. The choice of stove is up to you. There are two types of stoves: Those that work quickly, efficiently and will be permitted in Burn Ban areas. The other kind that use inefficient, slow alcohol and and will be banned in Burn Ban areas.

If "doing the AT next year" means a complete thru hike, start hiking with all your gear (both seasons), transportation to/from both ends paid for and a bankroll of $5,000 for on trail spending.
If planning a thru hile of the AT, work out your to/from transportation first. Keep in touch with the transportation folks to make sure that they stay in business, don't cancel services to your trailheads, etc. Far too many folks come on this forum with pleas like: "I'm starting a NOBO thru hike day after tomorrow. How do I get to Springer Mountain from Upper Outer Mongolia?" Dumb.

Buy your gear first. Then get properly fitted for a backpack that fits you and will hold your gear and food comfortably.
Buy quality once. It is always cheaper in the long run.
Good luck!

Wayne

Another Kevin
09-20-2013, 20:30
Of course, I then went on to explain about standing dead wood and that much of the wood even on the ground was only damp on the outside. But this shelter was pretty close to Hanover so was picked over really clean. I had gotten my little pile of wood way down the trail. They never did get a fire going that night.

Yeah, I never have tried to make a fire at Velvet Rocks. You're right, it's picked clean.

I think 2/3 of the fires on the trail are built by people who just react, "I'm camping. When you're camping, of course you need a fire," and would be totally unable to answer the question, "for what?" When you need one, you really need one (for instance, to heat rocks to dry out soaked boot liners in winter), but you don't often need one.

And I carry a Bic lighter, a firesteel, and several cotton balls gunked with Vaseline. But I almost never use them. (I just know that if I need them, I'll really need them.) In a pinch, I can recognize chert and jasper - common around here - so I'll always have a spark if I have my knife. And yes, there's birch bark, and evergreen resin, and mice's nests, and tinder-fungus, all sorts of oily stuff to light a fire with.

xalex
09-24-2013, 17:16
Thanks so much - what a wonderful forum this is. My partner in hiking said she was scared to post online until she saw your responses to my questions here.. (she still hasn't posted)

I have some more questions.. do most people sleep w/ their packs or leave them in their vestibule? Talking a pack with no food here, I think (unless we decide to be crazy and sleep on our food bags) Looking at some kind of big agnes. I'm 72 inches tall, the tent is 90 inches long, theoretically we could fit two bags in there safely? Or is it worth it? Just buy a rain cover, some premethryn and leave them outside????

Also does anyone have a favorite sleeping bag that could last one entire thru hike? Even if you need to carry some sort of liner or extra clothing early on?

We'd like to leave in March, maybe April, and would like to figure a way to avoid purchasing two sleeping bags if possible (so much money, these bags...) Any advice as always is awesome. I have so many questions about this, it's hard not to be overwhelmed.

xalex
09-24-2013, 17:18
I don't think you can edit posts here, but what does everyone recommend in the way of trash bags? And water/scent proof dry bags??? Any other 2014 thru hikers have questions they'd want to ask more experienced people!? :) Thank you again!

Butterfly58
09-24-2013, 18:27
If you're on Facebook and want to join our group, you will meet others just as excited and uneducated as you, lol. But many have years of experience as well. It's a great group, very friendly and helpful and not as (sometimes) sick of newbie questions as the folks here on WB. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56380495208/

T.S.Kobzol
09-24-2013, 18:59
I like to make fire but it all depends on xircumstances. Firestarters of choice are usually birch bark and small twigs. I do cary cut up tack cloth as an emergency firestarter or I break off a little off firestarter brick I use at home around wood stove. Remember, birch bark is great firestarter but birch wood is lousy at the beginning.

Another thing to be aware of is all the high tech plastic clothing we all wear. Fire sparks love to put holes in your tarp, tent, shell jacket or fleece garments. After paying pretty penny for these I am more hesitant with fire. Gone are the days I just built a fire, spread my bottom tarp and sleeping bag right next to the fire ring and enjoyed the immediate warmth.

Astro
09-24-2013, 19:32
I don't think you can edit posts here, but what does everyone recommend in the way of trash bags? And water/scent proof dry bags??? Any other 2014 thru hikers have questions they'd want to ask more experienced people!? :) Thank you again!

First, Welcome to WB! :welcome

Become a donating member and you can edit your post. It is a wonderful thing and you will be helping WhiteBlaze out too. :)

hobbs
09-24-2013, 19:32
Thanks so much - what a wonderful forum this is. My partner in hiking said she was scared to post online until she saw your responses to my questions here.. (she still hasn't posted)

I have some more questions.. do most people sleep w/ their packs or leave them in their vestibule? Talking a pack with no food here, I think (unless we decide to be crazy and sleep on our food bags) Looking at some kind of big agnes. I'm 72 inches tall, the tent is 90 inches long, theoretically we could fit two bags in there safely? Or is it worth it? Just buy a rain cover, some premethryn and leave them outside????

Also does anyone have a favorite sleeping bag that could last one entire thru hike? Even if you need to carry some sort of liner or extra clothing early on?

We'd like to leave in March, maybe April, and would like to figure a way to avoid purchasing two sleeping bags if possible (so much money, these bags...) Any advice as always is awesome. I have so many questions about this, it's hard not to be overwhelmed.

I sleep with my pack under me at my feet.I use it to elevate my feet so they dont swell and it also adds warmth. If your looking for a good bag and one not to exspensive.The Kelty Cosmic down 20 will do yeah.Its about 120 dollars and will go to 20 degrees..In the summer most people sleep on top of their sleeping bags.I know I did..

Valley Girl
09-24-2013, 19:43
Youtube can be a great help.

Old Hiker
09-24-2013, 20:32
Fires: Boy Scout Handbook and/or Wilderness Survival Merit Badge book

Pack: usually vestibule (ALPS Zephyr 1 - small, but fits and LightHeart Gear SoLong 6 side vestibule. Occasionally hung off a tree in good weather.

T.S.Kobzol
09-24-2013, 21:48
the stuff remaining in my pack works well as a pillow. The padded back of the pack on top.

q-tip
09-25-2013, 08:48
Since you are new I thought I would let you know I have extensive gear and food lists with weights and costs for U/L-Summer & 3-season lightweight backpacking. If you are interested, send me a PM (personal message) with your email address and I will forward them to you...Good Luck...

smoothsailin
12-05-2013, 22:12
I love having fires anytime of day when it's cool/cold. It's really not that hard or a big deal to find some wood. If you go down the trail either way, you can usually find some wood. Just look on the ground for small sticks, some dried leaves, add a little tp and lite. Get two lighters. You can make a teepee or a little box to start with. That allows air to flow opposed to pilin it up in a heap. You'll probably need to blow some air and then begin to add larger sticks. Start small, let them burn to coal, add more, repeat. Sweep the shelters for good starting mulch also. I built 2 fires a day in the Smokies last year in the wet snow and rain. Nothing feels more like a thru hike to me than you do 20mi a day and have a breakfast and evening fire. That's thru hiking to me. PS - 20mi dayz seem more fun before mile 15.

tiptoe
12-06-2013, 11:48
xalex, you'll find a ton of info on this site, but unfortunately the site search doesn't work well. I'd suggest browsing the forum by folder and/or doing a site-specific search using Google. That way, you can research a topic and get a general feel for what people do. Keep in mind that for most things, there are many solutions, and personal preferences play a large part in what hikers do. I've been section hiking for almost 10 years, and every time I go I learn new things.

Anyway, here's how to search the site.
The general syntax is: search term site:whiteblaze.net
So to search for fires, enter this into the search box: fires site:whiteblaze.net
For a multiple-word query, put the words in quotes: e.g., use "blaze orange" site:whiteblaze.net

CalebJ
12-06-2013, 11:49
The Western Mountaineering Summerlite is an excellent 3 season lightweight bag. I've had one for a few years now and love it. 19oz for a 32* bag (and I've pushed mine below freezing without being uncomfortable. There's one on eBay right now, ending this evening.