PDA

View Full Version : Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest SOLite review by TwoGearGuy

Frank Patriot
09-21-2013, 11:00
Here's our short review of the Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest SOLite foam sleeping pad.
I had been using a nice, comfy Big Agnes AirCore pad, but I recently decided that I needed to go ultralight (due to certain back injuries that I've had over the years). A 27 ounce sleeping pad is just too heavy for me to carry, so I got a SOLite. It was a bit of a change, obviously. Anyway, you can watch the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=visaVbNriMI

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the SOLite. I'm planning on butchering mine up a little. I want to cut it down to a 3/4 pad. I just bought a Gossamer Gear G4 pack and I'm going to use a bit of the remaining 1/4 pad to put in my pack to give it a little structure, then pull it out to use as camp seat.

Also, there's more stuff on our blog: http://twogearguysblog.blogspot.com/
Thanks!

MuddyWaters
09-21-2013, 12:50
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the SOLite.

OK for a teenager.
Basically, I think it sucks by itself.
With enough other CCF pads like the GG torso it can be made sleepable
But an Xlite is less weight, and less trouble, and far less volume.

slbirdnerd
09-21-2013, 13:33
I use the 48 inch SoLite (no cutting needed). It's fine, for now. It's not cushy but that doesn't bother my body, and if I want cushy I'll stay home and sleep in my bed. Not having enough pillow for my head is my problem when sleeping in the woods. Still working on a lightweight, compact solution there...

Starchild
09-21-2013, 14:00
I went through 5 different sleeping pads on my thru, mainly to try to get a good night sleep at a affordable weight. Had a ridgerest + prolight together and that was not cushy enough. Finally went with the Neoair, which I resisted due to the cost, but wish I would have picked that up sooner, lightest one of them all at 12 oz

nastynate
09-21-2013, 16:51
Trying to find some stuff to sell to fund a neoair. My ridgerest solite is the most uncomfortable pad I've ever used.

quasarr
09-21-2013, 19:11
If you're using a frameless pack, just roll up the whole pad in there to make a cylinder, then stuff your gear inside. Use the extra you cut off to make camp sandals. They suck but are really light!! (Just cut it to size and use para cord to make a flip flop style strap)

And if you have more extra, make a pot cozy with it! That reflectix stuff is less bulky but why not take the Native American approach and use every part of the animal if you have to kill a pad ;)