PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Johnny's in Erwin

shorembo
09-21-2013, 14:35
I am doing a week hike with 3 others and two dogs. We need a place to spend the night before along with shuttle service and car parking. Any issues or recommendations concerning Uncle Johnny's?

Old Hiker
09-21-2013, 14:57
2012 - I had a private room. It was good. No "real" TV, just a ton of tapes and a VCR. Free town shuttles twice a day - Grym was the driver and was helpful.

There were people in the yard tenting and in the hostel area. I was worried at first, as I had to walk through the back room that had females in it to get to the computer. I thought I had intruded, but they assured me I was on the right track.

Don't know nuffin' 'bout no cars or dogs.

Tennessee Viking
09-21-2013, 15:59
Just follow the rules and you will be fine.

kayak karl
09-21-2013, 16:47
nice place. only recollection is Snicker Bars :)

Dogwood
09-21-2013, 18:44
Uncle Johnny's was good to me on two different stays there. Very accommodating, respectful, and good natured. crams a fair amount of gear for sale in the front room. Stayed at the bunk house once and in a clean private room as Old Hiker described. Enjoyed the diving pics on the walls as well which I believe Uncle Johnny used to do.

Del Q
09-21-2013, 18:52
I walked into Uncle Johnnie's at the end of my Spring 2013 section hike...........sundown, was immediately offered a beer from thur hikers. Because of the norovirus I deciced to stay at the hotel (of which 1/3 of the hikers were sick), had another adult beverage then a free shuttle by Grim to the hotel.

Plan on staying there in March when I head South from their front deck.

Cool spot. Well stocked with gear.

hikerboy57
09-21-2013, 20:03
had a great time there in april. and didnt get sick. someone told me grim isnt there any more. he was one of the good guys.shuttled us up to unaka mtn for a 20 mile slackpack back. shuttled into town for supplies and eats. good comfortable place. dont know the policy on dogs, dont remember seeing any over the 2 days i was there.
dont forget to ask uncle johnnie for directions somewhere.hes very specific.

Astro
09-21-2013, 21:35
I enjoyed my stay there in July. Did not run into Grim when I was there.

excuses
09-21-2013, 23:07
I've stayed there twice, this past June the most recent. I've been allowed to park there and had no problems. also used the private rooms. No complaints

joshuasdad
09-22-2013, 09:14
The 20 mile slackpack is an awesome deal. Did not stay (tented at a nearby campground last April, because of Norovirus reports), but Grim is an interesting guy, and reportedly, a lot more friendly than Uncle Johnny.

shorembo
09-22-2013, 11:23
Thanks for the feedback...all positive...(except for the virus thing)

joshuasdad
09-22-2013, 11:57
Don't worry too much about the virus, it seemed like 50% of thru hikers were getting it BEFORE Uncle Johnny's from a contaminated shelter.

wren again
09-22-2013, 15:00
Stayed there in 2011. We especially enjoyed talking with Sarge, and getting a ride in the Bionic Turd (his truck). He called it that because, as he said, it was completely rebuilt and still a piece of *&%#.

Del Q
09-22-2013, 18:00
Forgetting everything else, a place to stay, shower, ship resupply to, right on the trail.............handy!