PDA

View Full Version : First timer starting in late Apr, hitch hiking from California

Bagge Pants
09-21-2013, 23:38
I'd like to hitch a ride to Georgia for a late April start. Does anybody know of someone riding out that way from a western state? I like the idea of hitch hiking from California to the start but, would greatly appreciate any known rides along the way! Will be able to help with food or gas.

How many weeks should I plan to be on the road hitching before the start?

If you have/know of a network to stay in great cities across the US I would like some tips or suggestions if youre obliged.

Ill be a 32 y old male at time of travel, artsy and into running/outdoor life.

Bagge Pants

ams212001
09-22-2013, 00:40
When the time gets closer try looking on craigslist. I saw a documentary recently, can't remember the name of it. But he was able to make it across the US in 3 days from accepting ride shares off craigslist. Might be worth looking in to. I know some people have Also, look into allegiant air. They are a small air line company but have super cheap flights. And I know they have a flight fairly close to the beginning of the AT. Another good one is mega bus. Cheap tickets and they are in various parts of the united states. The options I have given you require you to be more flexible/creative with your time but can get you to Georgia in less than a weeks time for a reasonable price.

I am in North Dakota so I am trying to figure out my travel logisitics as well. Luckily, there are a lot of really good options when you start to snoop around! Good luck!

oldbear
09-22-2013, 01:43
The problem that hitchhiking presents is that there is a very good possibility that you and/ or your gear will never get to the trailhead .
Do yourself a favor , spend a couple of extra bucks and fly into Atlanta
If you can't afford to do that then you can't afford to do a thru hike

ams212001
09-22-2013, 01:54
Also, sign up couchsurfing. You can find numerous people to stay with in any given city and is a safe cheap alternative to hotels when traveling.

Slo-go'en
09-22-2013, 13:24
Hitching across the country isn't something I'd do, but I can see where it could be quite the adventure in it's own right. There are risks, but there are also rewards which might out weigh the risks. Impossible to guess how long it would take. A few days to a few weeks?

Texasgrrl
09-22-2013, 13:51
People still hitchhike? Wow....too scary for me!

MuddyWaters
09-22-2013, 14:31
Excluding small towns and resort areas, the problem with hitchhiking is that the only people that would stop to pick you up, are people that you really shouldnt get in a car with.

Bagge Pants
09-22-2013, 19:03
Also, sign up couchsurfing. You can find numerous people to stay with in any given city and is a safe cheap alternative to hotels when traveling.

I've heard of this and will check it out. Anyone ever use this on, near, after the AT?

Thanks for the responses Ams

Tuckahoe
09-22-2013, 19:40
I am not the sort to hitch hike, but I keep thinking about a number of potential cross country train trips. You could take the train from LA to Gainesville or Atlanta Ga. With the ticket price running about $390.

The route would start with the Southwest Chief across the south west and up to Chicago. Then the Capital Limited from Chicaho to DC. And finally the Crescent from DC to Georgia.

oldbear
09-22-2013, 20:11
OP
The one way flight on Delta will cost you $ 372.00 from LAX to ATL
Flight time is 4h 16 m
You couldn't hitchhike to Needles CA in that amount of time
http://www.delta.com/air-shopping/searchAction.action?hiddenFieldsId=6zL40Gy0KgOGNZw&checksum=1510769078&cacheKey=6zL40Gy0KgOGNZw

Slo-go'en
09-22-2013, 20:14
I am not the sort to hitch hike, but I keep thinking about a number of potential cross country train trips. You could take the train from LA to Gainesville or Atlanta Ga. With the ticket price running about $390.

The route would start with the Southwest Chief across the south west and up to Chicago. Then the Capital Limited from Chicaho to DC. And finally the Crescent from DC to Georgia.

A long train trip is also an adventure. Don't expect to get much sleep unless you get a sleeper for another $400. It's better then the bus, but only because it doesn't take as long.

I took the train last summer from Boston to Glacier. It was only 2 hours late. My friend who came in the next day was 10 hours late, arriving at 2 AM.

It was even worse going east. The train was late arriving in Chicago (apparently a common occurance), missing the connection. So they put me up for the night (along with quite a few otheres) at a hotel and gave me $25 for food. The train didn't leave until 9 PM, so I got to wander around Chicago for a day. That actually worked out good as I did get some sleep that night and I had never visited Chicago before.

ams212001
09-22-2013, 20:52
I've heard of this and will check it out. Anyone ever use this on, near, after the AT?

Thanks for the responses Ams

No problem! You have a ton of options. Another thing to think about is that most cities have hostels that are in great locations. Some are expensive and some are super cheap. Just have to dig around.

Venchka
09-23-2013, 14:00
A few thoughts from a Geezer:
Say you budget 2 weeks for hitchhiking/couch surfing to the southern terminus...
Work those 2 weeks and use the extra cash to fly/bus to the southern terminus.
What are your return travel plans from the northern terminus? Budget money for that before you start. Then if you spend all your trail money, you will have funds available for the return trip from wherever you happen to run out of money.
Check with folks at local universities who may be driving east and welcome a paying passenger. You may have to delay your start a few weeks. That isn't all bad. Mid-April, 2013 was not a very good time to start. May, 2013 wasn't much better. Every year is different.

Wayne

FarmerChef
09-23-2013, 14:09
I don't even know if this is a viable idea but what about driving down to Atlanta and renting a storage unit to store your car, then hitching southbound from Katahdin back to Atlanta? In reality there are so many different ways of finding your way. Network, network, network.

Venchka
09-23-2013, 14:22
I don't even know if this is a viable idea but what about driving down to Atlanta and renting a storage unit to store your car, then hitching southbound from Katahdin back to Atlanta? In reality there are so many different ways of finding your way. Network, network, network.

I'm pondering that idea for a 2 month long section of the CDT. Drive to Jackson, WY. Stash the car. Fly to Kalispell, MT. Walk back to the car.
You could probably find a storage unit closer to Springer Mountain than Atlanta. Leave a battery charger and extension cord in the car and disconnect the battery.

Wayne

Alligator
09-23-2013, 14:57
Los Angeles to Atlanta is $149 on 4/28/14, about 50 hrs using Greyhound. Better than hitching.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 15:12
I'd like to hitch a ride to Georgia for a late April start. Does anybody know of someone riding out that way from a western state? I like the idea of hitch hiking from California to the start but, would greatly appreciate any known rides along the way! Will be able to help with food or gas.

How many weeks should I plan to be on the road hitching before the start?

If you have/know of a network to stay in great cities across the US I would like some tips or suggestions if youre obliged.

Ill be a 32 y old male at time of travel, artsy and into running/outdoor life.

Bagge Pants

YES, people do still hitch-hike. I do it regularly. I'm not fearful of it either despite thoughts to the contrary. However, I have a good sense about people and have declined rides on a couple of occasions. It's kinda easy to do that when you have hiking/camping gear with you knowing you don't HAVE TO take a ride even if it's available. It helps to not be on a tight schedule and having a go with the flow attitude. There is no flight, train, bus, etc time departure and arrival schedule involved so who knows how long it will take to hitch from Cali to GA.

The right mindset is crucial in obtaining rides and safely hitch hiking. I get about 3/4 of my rides by not sticking my thumb out in the old fashioned way/idea of hitch hiking while standing along side a road. I hitch by meeting and talking to potential rides at convenient places like overlooks, rest stops, gas stations, convenience stores, pull outs, etc. This not only "breaks the ice" for them feeling me out seeing that I'm just hitch hiking to my destination which is a trailhead to do a thru-hike but it also gives me the opportunity to feel them out. If it doesn't feel right for them they don't give me a ride. If the potential ride doesn't feel right TO ME I decline even if a ride is offered.

Couch surfing is one option for staying in places along the way. Stealth camping or urban camping is another possability. Plenty of free for the asking places to camp across the country. Plenty of inexpensive campgrounds costing about $10 across the country. It gets you accustomed to camping and taking on a traveling/hiking lifestyle before hitting the trailhead. Some CGs have overhead shelters where you can sleep. Sometimes places like YMCA's will offer a shower and bed for the night. Sometimes, while hitching long distances I'll volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter. In turn they let me stay there for the night. Inexpensive hostels exist around the country.

I find a big part of doing all this is in how I present myself and my attitude. If I present myself as a homeless derelict, potential drug addict, potential criminal, escapee from a mental institution or from a prison road gang, etc I'm not likely to get a ride or a ride with the type of people I choose to get rides from - sane people who are willing to help me out. I intern sometimes offer a few dollars for gas, a willingness to buy a meal, pay for tolls, etc. I approach getting rides as someone providing value for me and I intern seek to do the same for them. I don't look at hitchhiking as a means for me to freeload or unduly hassle anyone. It helps that I'm also clean cut, well spoken, sociable when needing to be, patient, have clean gear that any knowledgeable person would know is high end UL hiking gear(not a pack or sleeping bag given out a homeless shelter or from Kmart or WalMart!), etc.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 15:20
And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight. You may have reasons unbeknownst to us why you would want to hitch that long distance but IF it's a long term money issue than IMHO that doesn't bode well for hiking the AT! I don't care what anyone says, you need money to hike the AT long term. As I said, I'll hitch places because I like the adventure and change up from walking but it's not usually about a lack of money issue. There are only so many money saving alternatives. I'm not saying this is your situation but leeching your way up the trail is no way to do or attempt a long distance hike! Embarking on something like a long hike without a sufficient way to provide for yourself and having a take take take I me mine mentality just plain SUCKS. Just my 2 cts.

Venchka
09-23-2013, 16:17
What Dogwood said, reading my mind. Especially the last 3 lines. ^^^^^

Wayne

annamagpie
09-23-2013, 18:20
I am in South Dakota and might be driving out and storing my car at my brother's. Also considering the train. Don't know exactly when I am starting yet but if it is later I might start in Damascus. But PM me, maybe we can work something out when the time is closer and I know more about my plans. Maybe we can all go together with ams212001!

oldbear
09-23-2013, 18:31
You can leave your car at Amicalola Falls SP for the length of the hike
Then
Fly Bangor -BGR - to Atlanta -ATL and pick up your car

Bagge Pants
09-24-2013, 11:45
And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight. You may have reasons unbeknownst to us why you would want to hitch that long distance but IF it's a long term money issue than IMHO that doesn't bode well for hiking the AT! I don't care what anyone says, you need money to hike the AT long term. As I said, I'll hitch places because I like the adventure and change up from walking but it's not usually about a lack of money issue. There are only so many money saving alternatives. I'm not saying this is your situation but leeching your way up the trail is no way to do or attempt a long distance hike! Embarking on something like a long hike without a sufficient way to provide for yourself and having a take take take I me mine mentality just plain SUCKS. Just my 2 cts.

I wanted to hitch hike to not spend money which, differs from my ideal of saving money, slightly, and see some cities which I haven't seen as an adult yet. I actually don't have a budget concern but, do have a spending concern. I would like to not blow all my money on the trip but, if I do it would not matter that much. I also really enoy traveling and exploring. The last time I drove the I10 was probably over ten years ago now and my friends and I were on the road for 6 weeks and were able to couch surf during the entire time. I wasn't in charge of the logistics but, it was fun to explore each little city and meet new people almost every night.

OK, back on topic. :D I've decided I'll allocate 7 days to get across to ATL from the AZ/CA border (i'll get a ride to Kingman, AZ) in Mid April and I'll use about 4-5 greyhound trips in between cities on the I 40 to Nashville then the last greyhound down to ATL. If I pre purchase my tickets that will come to about $239 total for Kingman, to Flagstaff, to Albuquerque, to Little Rock, to Memphis, to Nashville to ATL. I'll plan on coach surfing or camping each night in each city within a bus ride from the station via friends, friends of friends or couchsurfing.com. And yes, I'll make sure to dress (somewhat) nicely.

So, now I've narrowed it down. Calling all cities mentioned above!

oldbear
09-24-2013, 12:44
OP
Your best choice in Kingman is to get off at exit 48 /US 93 and use the two truck stops just north of I -40 to ask for rides East
In fact that strategy works , all the way across America
I spent all of 1972 hitchhiking all over America so I know of what I write

Bagge Pants
09-24-2013, 13:37
Thank you! I do know that one.

Do you remeber any other stops in the other cities? As long as I know ahead of time where the greyhounds are in comparison to major oasis' I think it will go smooth having open options. Now I just need to decide if cheaper non refundable or more expendive refundable greyhound tickets prior to trip is the right choice. Ill figure that out later.

Sly
09-24-2013, 13:43
And, as Alligator is saying it will cost you $150 to get across the country in a few hrs on a flight.

It's not a few hours on a flight (that cost $372) it's 50 hours on a bus.

He could probably hook up a couple rides through Craiglist, or just hitch, and saving $150 is fairly substantial if you're on a budget.

Bagge Pants
09-24-2013, 15:34
It's not a few hours on a flight (that cost $372) it's 50 hours on a bus.

He could probably hook up a couple rides through Craiglist, or just hitch, and saving $150 is fairly substantial if you're on a budget.

Exactly, and saving a 150 here and a 150 there equals staying in ~20 hostels.

Slo-go'en
09-24-2013, 16:54
I think a cross country bus trip will end up costing you a lot more then you expect. You have to eat and the meal stops are all at fast food places, which aren't exactly cheap these days.

If you break it up into mulitipule stops along the way you'll have to buy a seperate ticket for each leg. And if your bus comes in at a station at 3 AM, do you really expect someone to drive over and pick you up and take you to thier home? Not likely.

If you buy a ticket straight thru you have to stay on thier schedule. After a 4-5 day bus ride, your going to be a zombie - trust me I've been there - and it will take days to recover, further costing you more.

As much as I hate to fly, in the long run that is your most economical means of getting cross country and it's done in a reasonable amount of time.

Bagge Pants
09-24-2013, 18:05
I think a cross country bus trip will end up costing you a lot more then you expect. You have to eat and the meal stops are all at fast food places, which aren't exactly cheap these days.

If you break it up into mulitipule stops along the way you'll have to buy a seperate ticket for each leg. And if your bus comes in at a station at 3 AM, do you really expect someone to drive over and pick you up and take you to thier home? Not likely.

If you buy a ticket straight thru you have to stay on thier schedule. After a 4-5 day bus ride, your going to be a zombie - trust me I've been there - and it will take days to recover, further costing you more.

As much as I hate to fly, in the long run that is your most economical means of getting cross country and it's done in a reasonable amount of time.

I've ridden the bus from New Orleans back to California and it only takes 2 days not 4-5 straight through. If I broke the journey into legs there is no reason for it to wipe me out.I have to eat something at every meal anyways no matter where I am. It should not be too much more expensive than eating at home or on the AT? If anything, I would spend less money eating for 7 days on the road than I would pend 7 days eating at home because I won't be running/hiking ~70 miles and biking another ~50 miles a week. It will be rest! jk/sort of ;)

And it you arrive at 3 am at a grey hound you rest until sunrise.

$239 for all greyhound legs, 10 max per day on food equals 309 dollars for 7 days = 44 dollars a day
$150 for straight through for two days, 10 max per day on food = 80 dollars a day
$350 flight 1 day, 10 max per day on food = 360 dollars a day

I'd only be paying 6 dollars more per day doing chunks on the bus rather than flying (Yes, I know my math is biased but, it's travel I am looking for not transportation!) So, for seeing the country side - hitching and bus is still the most economic way to travel.

Venchka
09-25-2013, 08:43
You aren't factoring in lost wages in the bus vs. air calculations. Unless you don't have any wages to factor in.
Orbitz has a flight from LAX to ATL for $259. Flying just got cheaper.
Your list of cities to glimpse while waiting for the next bus isn't the best I can think of.
Atlanta isn't exactly the trail head for the AT. Have you figured out the Atlanta to AT trail head transportation?

Wayne

Bagge Pants
09-25-2013, 10:36
Unemployed, laid off work at the beginning of last summer. Im staring my trip the moment my claim fries up. Heck, I might even make money on the road trip if I wash some dishes.

Bagge Pants
09-25-2013, 10:42
You aren't factoring in lost wages in the bus vs. air calculations. Unless you don't have any wages to factor in.
Orbitz has a flight from LAX to ATL for $259. Flying just got cheaper.
Your list of cities to glimpse while waiting for the next bus isn't the best I can think of.k
Atlanta isn't exactly the trail head for the AT. Have you figured out the Atlanta to AT trail head transportation?

Wayne

I'd figure I pay an over priced shuttle service like everyone else. Or hitch hike. ;)

Starchild
09-25-2013, 11:00
(as I read more of this thread I have seen that this has been covered already)

This thread is long so I didn't view all the suggestions, but if you are considering a multi day trip to get from AZ to GA are you sure it is cheaper then flying in a single day when you take into account all the miscellaneous expenses that one incurs day to day during travel? In particular food when traveling is usually more expensive then at home, and if you add in stops in taverns for a drink or so your expenses go up quite a bit unless that is what you would do at home anyway. This expense I would think would go up considerably if you intend to see some cities along the way which you have indicated you would like to. When all is said and done the trip by air may not look as expensive anymore.

Bagge Pants
09-25-2013, 11:26
Thank you everyone for the concerns. All replies are taken warm heartedly. The last little leg of the trip would be Marietta to Dahlonega.

I see the city of Marrietta and their public bus and trail systems is trying to extend service/network onto the Appalachian trail start. That would be a long term goal by them.

Does anyone have knowledge of these unofficial routes?

Venchka
09-25-2013, 12:04
Enjoy your thru-hike that those of us who have been employed since forever and therefore never had the time for their own thru-hike are paying for.

Wayne

Dogwood
09-25-2013, 16:47
I wanted to hitch hike to not spend money which, differs from my ideal of saving money, slightly, and see some cities which I haven't seen as an adult yet. I actually don't have a budget concern but, do have a spending concern. I would like to not blow all my money on the trip but, if I do it would not matter that much. I also really enoy traveling and exploring. The last time I drove the I10 was probably over ten years ago now and my friends and I were on the road for 6 weeks and were able to couch surf during the entire time. I wasn't in charge of the logistics but, it was fun to explore each little city and meet new people almost every night.

OK, back on topic. :D I've decided I'll allocate 7 days to get across to ATL from the AZ/CA border (i'll get a ride to Kingman, AZ) in Mid April and I'll use about 4-5 greyhound trips in between cities on the I 40 to Nashville then the last greyhound down to ATL. If I pre purchase my tickets that will come to about $239 total for Kingman, to Flagstaff, to Albuquerque, to Little Rock, to Memphis, to Nashville to ATL. I'll plan on coach surfing or camping each night in each city within a bus ride from the station via friends, friends of friends or couchsurfing.com. And yes, I'll make sure to dress (somewhat) nicely....!

Exactly, and saving a 150 here and a 150 there equals staying in ~20 hostels.

Unemployed, laid off work at the beginning of last summer. Im staring my trip the moment my claim fries up. Heck, I might even make money on the road trip if I wash some dishes.

I'd figure I pay an over priced shuttle service like everyone else. Or hitch hike. ;)

Sounds like you very much do have budget concerns no matter what you say in one post because it seems you contradict that thought in other posts.

If not spending money somehow is that different than saving money can you please explain? I see the two as the same. I ask because I'm trying to get on the same page as you so possibly can offer some money saving traveling across the country tips.

Purchasing 5-6 different Greyhound tickets will almost DEFINITELY be more costly than taking an inexpensive flight to Atlanta and negates Alligator's monety saving(not spending money?) $150 getting across the country proposal given. There are certainly less expensive and less time consuming less logistically problematic ways to get from Cali to the southern terminus area of the AT. If you're that concerned about money, as it is obvious you are, no matter what you may say in one post to the contrary, PERHAPS some choices need to be made on what exactly you want to do. I understand you want to visit those cities you mention but I will ask what the primary goal is here - to get to the Southern terminus of the AT and putting yourself in the BEST possible financial situation to actually successfully complete an AT thru-hike or visit all those cities along the way to thye southern terminus by way of all the Greyhound tickets? If money is that much a concern maybe you need to decide what's most important! - the AT or all these visiting of cities right now. OR PERHAPS, it's simply your goal to wander the AT and see how it goes while taking a financial shooting at a dart board w/ a blindfold on financial approach to hiking the AT?

BTW, I do get where you're coming from with your sense of adventure and packing in as many other expriences as you travel to a trail to do a thru-hike.
I REGULARLY do it myself. But, sometimes making concrete choices and having priorities can sometimes be necessary especially as it takes money to do a thru-hike. I've nevery heard anyone say they didn't finish an intended thru-hike because they had too much of a hiking budget but I see hikers quitting their thru-hikes because not enough of a hiking budget was allocated. Just trying to help.

Bagge Pants
09-25-2013, 18:17
Dear Dogwood, It goes a little something like this... Once I am set to leave for the AT I will have had sold pretty much everything I own except what will be on my back and then I'll have maybe a 5x10 storage for family heirlooms that I can sale when I return back home if I spend all my money on the journey. I will have anywhere from 5-7 thou in the bank account. I am trying to do something challenging by saving money with alternative means of transportation. It's funny how everyone is like, "hike your own hike" but, somehow can't come with terms that that should apply to everything in life not, just a means to an end.

Spending money and having a budget to spend are different - I have 6 slices of pie in my budget. If I only eat 5 slices then maybe I'll donate one slice to my friend or favorite charity.

oldbear
09-25-2013, 18:48
OP
My feeling is that you're being penny wise and pound foolish
You're gong to leave SoCal with a lot of very expensive gear with you ; most of which will be mission critical
Should that gear get lost , stolen or damaged by taking the long and slow scenic route to Amicalola Falls SP
That gear will have to be replaced and at the end the day your need to save money wound up costing you money

Bagge Pants
09-26-2013, 11:39
I made a public facebook page if anybody wants to converse or network through there. Thank You for the tips again. See you in the woods!

https://www.facebook.com/baggepantswalking :sun, and insert "Raining Smiley Face" here.

Venchka
09-26-2013, 12:39
Another Geezer idea/question:
Why don't you pick a morning when you're ready to start your 6 month adventure & hitchhike to the PCT? How long would that take? 6 hours maybe? Tops? Go north. Have fun.
Or is the PCT old news since you live out there?

Wayne

Alligator
09-26-2013, 14:12
Dear Dogwood, It goes a little something like this... Once I am set to leave for the AT I will have had sold pretty much everything I own except what will be on my back and then I'll have maybe a 5x10 storage for family heirlooms that I can sale when I return back home if I spend all my money on the journey. I will have anywhere from 5-7 thou in the bank account. I am trying to do something challenging by saving money with alternative means of transportation. It's funny how everyone is like, "hike your own hike" but, somehow can't come with terms that that should apply to everything in life not, just a means to an end.

Spending money and having a budget to spend are different - I have 6 slices of pie in my budget. If I only eat 5 slices then maybe I'll donate one slice to my friend or favorite charity.Dogwood is just attempting to figure out your trip preconditions in order to better address your question. He has undertaken a variety of journeys himself and is pretty dialed in to maintaining himself financially in order to fund his lifestyle, as well as how to make those journeys happen.

I posted the inexpensive Greyhound trip because I too was trying to elicit more details about what you wanted your trip to be, such as whether the hitching aspect was more important than the budget, as well as where your budget was at. Your plan to hitch hike will be a drain on your available funding to hike the AT. You are increasing costs by creating additional travel days. As far as money, hitchhiking days are certainly directly equivalent to hiking days for costs. Plus, your suggested travel plans, with multiple bus stops, are drains on the portion of the budget allocated to travel expenses. If you go the multiple bus stop route, it might be unwise to lock into an advanced fair ticket. Depending on how you plan it, one failure to be on time may cascade and ruin the remaining ticket times. I would be careful about how you arrange those tickets.

It is your journey and what you want to do, no issue with that. We do get lots of budget questions on here and lack of money is a major trip ender, so often responders ask pointed questions in order to better address the questions asked.

Bagge Pants
09-26-2013, 23:53
Re: Wayne, I can't tell if you're being facetious or trying to help but, I like it. That would be way too easy. And I couldn't really properly try out, "Carless Roadtrippin", which is what I should have called it, not hitchhiking. Darn semantics.

Venchka
09-27-2013, 13:51
Another Geezer idea/question:
Why don't you pick a morning when you're ready to start your 6 month adventure & hitchhike to the PCT? How long would that take? 6 hours maybe? Tops? Go north. Have fun.
Or is the PCT old news since you live out there?

Wayne

Bagge,
Serious as a stroke. You are planning to travel cross country and then hike 2,100+ miles north & east and then travel back across the country when you live a few hours from the PCT.
Scratching my head and muttering..."What the .........?"
Disclaimer: I have spent most of my life living in and traveling when I could to places north and west of Amarillo, Texas. I also lived in New England and lived/traveled a good bit in Canada, Europe, equatorial west Africa and Kazakhstan. It is my personal belief that the western half of North America (including Canada) has more variety and more splendor than anywhere else that I have been.
That's just me. Do your own thing.
Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne

quasarr
09-27-2013, 15:35
So are you trying to have a cross country adventure, or are you trying to save money? You can fly direct from LAX to ATL for $150-200. And you are planning to spend more than that on JUST your bus tickets! How exactly is your plan is cheaper??

And the "price per day" and "I have to eat anyway" argument makes no sense. Being on the trail is cheap. Eating at Subways inside gas stations three times a day is not. And neither is couch surfing if you're helping out with food and gas like you mentioned. The sooner you get to the trail, the less you can spend.

I agree that you should just do the PCT. You'll avoid the logistical nightmare of coordinating CS hosts and bus schedules across thousands of miles. You won't have to spend 50 hours on a squalid, urine-soaked Greyhound bus. You wont have to sleep on the chewing gum-encrusted hard plastic seats of a Greyhound bus station. And you'll be several hundred dollars richer.

PS... If you would consider sleeping on the FLOOR of a greyhound bus station, then you are a true filthy hobo and you should ignore everything I said. Just train hop the whole way and hope you don't suffocate in a tunnel.

:welcome

Bagge Pants
09-27-2013, 19:46
lol

Thanks for the Welcome

So are you trying to have a cross country adventure, or are you trying to save money? You can fly direct from LAX to ATL for $150-200. And you are planning to spend more than that on JUST your bus tickets! How exactly is your plan is cheaper??

And the "price per day" and "I have to eat anyway" argument makes no sense. Being on the trail is cheap. Eating at Subways inside gas stations three times a day is not. And neither is couch surfing if you're helping out with food and gas like you mentioned. The sooner you get to the trail, the less you can spend.

I agree that you should just do the PCT. You'll avoid the logistical nightmare of coordinating CS hosts and bus schedules across thousands of miles. You won't have to spend 50 hours on a squalid, urine-soaked Greyhound bus. You wont have to sleep on the chewing gum-encrusted hard plastic seats of a Greyhound bus station. And you'll be several hundred dollars richer.

PS... If you would consider sleeping on the FLOOR of a greyhound bus station, then you are a true filthy hobo and you should ignore everything I said. Just train hop the whole way and hope you don't suffocate in a tunnel.

:welcome

snail2010
01-15-2014, 17:10
If your just looking for adventure the. Good luck with the hitching. If you want your adventure to be an AT thruhike then you can hop on a bus for less than $200 and get to Ga for sure. Hitches are iffy, and you are likely to spend a lot of money on "helping out with food and gas".