PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion about giving it up for the trail

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 10:25
Hello everyone. For a year or so now I have been thinking about hiking the Appalachian Trail. For some reason it is something that has been tugging at me constantly. I enjoy getting out and hiking when I can. I am 43 and single (possible mid-life crisis:eek:). A manager at a small telecom company. Live in an apartment in Atlanta. Closest family is about 750 miles away (New Jersey). In order to do this I would have to leave my job, put all of my things in storage along with purchasing my own health insurance etc. My employer would probably give me a job when I returned if possible. I could not say for sure that I would have a job upon return and would not expect them to give me my position back. I have enough disposable cash, from what I can tell, to do this but I am by no means rich. I would love to hear from those who were in the same position and what the outcome was. Look forward to hearing from you. Appreciate it.

Rasty
09-22-2013, 10:27
You personal situation is almost perfect for doing a thru hike.

Texasgrrl
09-22-2013, 10:29
I have had the same thought. I think the experience would be so life-affirming that it would make up for the inconvenience of reestablishing the job/home/etc.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 10:40
Thank you Texasgrrl. I think so too. My family and friends tell me it is something for the young (just out of school) or retired. I think I will be working until dead or incapable of working.

geomaniac
09-22-2013, 10:42
I am in the same position. I doubt I will be able to get my job back, but after over 20 years there I am quite tired of it anyway. I am planning a 2014 hike now and have already turned in my notice at work. My biggest issue is I own a house :>(

geomaniac
09-22-2013, 10:44
Thank you Texasgrrl. I think so too. My family and friends tell me it is something for the young (just out of school) or retired. I think I will be working until dead or incapable of working.
This is what my thinking was too. I know I dont want to work until I am dead, life has to have more meaning than that!

misterfloyd
09-22-2013, 10:47
Atlanta Dave,

I was skimming thought the posts and I had to respond to yours.

Before commiting to doing a thru hike, do some sections. Long two week sections.

I did springer to Fontana Dam two weeks this last summer and loved every bit of it. Then maybe make the commitment to a thru hike.

I'm 47 and dare I say, "at our age" taking months off, at least for me, and expecting our old jobs back is a lot to expect. A tru hike is a whole different can of beans than an over nighter a weekend, or a week. My biggest worry is that you make the commitment, quit your job, find out that you did not enjoy it, and then come back and your out of luck. I don't know what you experience level is but find out if you like it first, and gain experience.

I will say this: If you have the will, and plan properly, and the means, do it! Life is short! If I could do it, I would do it without thinking!!!

I'm in education and I already look forward to taking a big bite this summer. By the end of the school year I'm hurting from all the BS and it is a soothing balm.

I hope this helps in some small way.

Best,
Floyd

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 10:49
That had to be a really tough decision egomaniac! Owning a home would really make it tough! You seem "all in". I hope the best for you. I have been looking at an April 1 date for 2014.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 11:00
Thank you Floyd for the comments. They are very true. I plan to take a few longer hikes between now and when I make the decision. I try and think how to prep for the trail, but then I realize the magnitude of it and I am back to square one.

Texasgrrl
09-22-2013, 11:05
My profession (critical care RN) is easy to get back into after a hiatus but my challenge is two fold: my house and (more importantly) my dogs...I just don't know if I could be away from them for several months.

hikerboy57
09-22-2013, 11:07
this past march i quit my job selling cars and hiked from springer to damascus. came home completely broke.when i got back, my boss gave me my job back, and he already knows im taking 5 months off next year. im 56,kids are grown, single, and i rent an apartment.i am by no means independently wealthy. have no retirement fund, never really intended to live this long.my boss told me he envies me, that i just dont give a ****.
one thing you find out on a long distance hike, things just fall into place, if you stop worrying. the trail provides, even when you come off trail.
go for it.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 11:19
Thanks hikerboy57. Love the "have no retirement fund, never really intended to live this long". I do have a retirement fund that I could use as "oh *****" money. Thanks for the reply.

grgs
09-22-2013, 11:27
You could see if your employer has a leave of absence policy.

Spirit Walker
09-22-2013, 11:28
My husband was an engineer, who decided to thruhike at 53. He rented his house and went on the AT. When he came back, his job was, no surprise, gone. It took about 5 months to get another one. A year later, recession hit (early to 90's) and he was out of work for another year, along with most of his department. He did finally find a job, worked for several years, but then quit his job and went hiking again for two years (CDT and then PCT). He got another job within a month of returning that time. We bought a house. Five years later, we sold the house and went hiking again. That time though, he was retired, so no job worries.

As for me - I worked in retail to save money for my first thruhike. Quit and put my stuff in storage and hiked the AT. I moved to San Francisco, got another low level office job, saved money and went hiking on the AT again four years later. Moved east to be with my hiking partner and was able to get an office job pretty quickly. When we returned from our CDT and PCT hikes, I was working again within a few months. After our second CDT hike, I didn't look for another job because a) we wanted to do more travelling, and b) recession was on and there was little point.

IOW - whether or not you get a job upon returning from thruhiking depends on your skill set and to some extent, luck in avoiding bad recessions. It is definitely a good idea to have some real cash reserves, just in case you either can't find a job, or just aren't ready to go back to work immediately after finishing your hike.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 11:38
Thank you for your comments Spirit Walker. Very impressive! You seem to maneuver through life just fine and make the most of it.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 11:40
You could see if your employer has a leave of absence policy. Thanks grgs, I will check on it.

Starchild
09-22-2013, 11:49
I gave up a very very small telecom consulting company last summer to hike the trail. Part of the reason is I didn't want to go back to it but wanted to transition to something that better suits who I am. As for the outcome, I am still transitioning back from the trail and have realized a possible next step.

The key difference is you look like you want to go back to your former job (though the trail may change that*), I went into it knowing I didn't.

* the trail changes many thing, so you may decide not to go back to your former work enroute.

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 11:58
I gave up a very very small telecom consulting company last summer to hike the trail. Part of the reason is I didn't want to go back to it but wanted to transition to something that better suits who I am. As for the outcome, I am still transitioning back from the trail and have realized a possible next step.

The key difference is you look like you want to go back to your former job (though the trail may change that*), I went into it knowing I didn't.

* the trail changes many thing, so you may decide not to go back to your former work enroute. Thanks Starchild. I'm not really sure if I would want to go back to my job (position I am in now). I enjoy the people I work with but not necessarily the job itself. Appreciate the reply.

Lone Wolf
09-22-2013, 12:01
AtlantaDave, if you don't hit the AT this spring i'll search you out and put a boot in your azz! :cool: NOW is the time to do it

AtlantaDave
09-22-2013, 12:07
AtlantaDave, if you don't hit the AT this spring i'll search you out and put a boot in your azz! :cool: NOW is the time to do it:) Thanks Lone Wolf. I hope you don't have big feet!

Slo-go'en
09-22-2013, 12:53
Yes, it can change your life. I went on a long hike a bit over 25 years ago when I had my "mid life crisis" and haven't had a real job since.

After the hike there was no way I'd go back to the rat race and city traffic so I became a trail bum for about five years. Had a number of different "throw away" jobs during the winter to streach out the life savings.

Thankfully, before my life savings completely ran out I had the foresight and skills to move to a depressed, rural town in the mountains and start my own small buisness. At that time everything I owned fit into the back of a chevy van.

max patch
09-22-2013, 13:09
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlvrMmz2nuNlbSiZ1THFK9NzfBG3o2U KOqFPbp_HHJvI3rE9tYsg

Bronk
09-22-2013, 13:16
This is what my thinking was too. I know I dont want to work until I am dead, life has to have more meaning than that!

My plan is to take a year off every 10 years or so and work up until I'm 70 if necessary...I'd rather put retirement off until later and enjoy some of my younger years.

My advice to younger people: buy a house by the time you're 25 on a 15 year note and when you pay it off don't trade up to a more expensive house. Life is great when your house is paid for and you don't owe anybody anything...leaves you with more options and possibilities.

Mr Breeze
09-22-2013, 14:16
I worked for the same company for 18 years. I told them a year and a half in advance that i was planning on hiking the trail. When the time drew closer for me to leave, i checked on my LOA request with my manager. I was told that even though i had given them more than enough notice, it was more important for them for me to be there than it was for me to be out hiking. I replied by saying, let me know how that works out for you. I left after 18 years and headed for the trail in March 2012. And when i returned, had to start over again with the job search. But i never regretted doing what i did.

Marta
09-22-2013, 14:18
While I'm never going to advise people to back out of previous commitments to take a six-month vacation (i.e., if you've got young children or a seriously ill spouse, stand by them), I also operate on the If Not Now, Then When? principle.

Most people have a long list of things the want to have done, but they never take the first practical step towards doing any of them. You want to write a novel? Sit your butt down and start writing. You want to run a marathon? Get out there and cover some miles every day.

It sounds as if you've got an opportunity here. Go for it.

MuddyWaters
09-22-2013, 14:42
Life is not about "careers", or "jobs", or even "saving for a cushy retirement"

Our societal culture today brainwashes people into thinking it is though.
Most people will never consider doing anything other than working, and taking a couple of easy vacations. A trip to Disney, a cruise, a trip to Hawaii. Those are the pathetic highlights of most peoples lives (outside of raising kids).

When you are 75 , lying in a hospital bed dying, what is it you will wish you had done when you had the chance?
Work more?
Have a nicer house?
Have more money in the bank?
or something else?

Feral Bill
09-22-2013, 14:50
You might want to checkout the employment situation in your field. If it's reasonably easy to find a job when you return, go.

geomaniac
09-22-2013, 14:55
That had to be a really tough decision egomaniac! Owning a home would really make it tough! You seem "all in". I hope the best for you. I have been looking at an April 1 date for 2014.

Thanks atlantadave, I am determined to do this hike. Thanks for the encouragement. I really havent decided on a start date yet. Was kind of leaning to a mid March date and get a bit ahead of the herd.

geomaniac
09-22-2013, 14:59

Our societal culture today brainwashes people into thinking it is though.
Most people will never consider doing anything other than working, and taking a couple of easy vacations. A trip to Disney, a cruise, a trip to Hawaii. Those are the pathetic highlights of most peoples lives (outside of raising kids).

When you are 75 , lying in a hospital bed dying, what is it you will wish you had done when you had the chance?
Work more?
Have a nicer house?
Have more money in the bank?
or something else?

Muddywaters, I like the way you think..its exactly how I feel.

mtnkngxt
09-22-2013, 15:19
Honestly, with the changes coming to the healthcare system, the lousy return on investments and savings accounts, and the general state of uncertainty in the world and future, I'd say you have the perfect opportunity to go out and take on the trail. Heck I might even give the Triple Crown a go just for the heck of it if you have the cash.

frogmonkey
09-22-2013, 15:25
I say do it! It took me a week to convince my husband to let me quit my job and temporarily drop out of college to go hiking for six months. I don't know if I convinced him that I would get another job and go back to school or if he realized he couldn't convince me not to drop everything to do a thru hike. He's going to be on a six month deployment while I hike. He wants to keep the house we're renting, so the neighbors are going to check in on it a couple times a week and another neighbor is going to mow our lawn when the time comes. I'm still looking for somebody to take my cat for six months. Can you take a cat on the trail with you? :-?

I really like what MuddyWaters had to say. I wish my husband felt the same way. He's the one who thinks about "careers" and "saving for a cushy retirement." Me, I'd rather rock life like Slo-go'en.

Starchild
09-22-2013, 15:36
I am in the same position. I doubt I will be able to get my job back, but after over 20 years there I am quite tired of it anyway. I am planning a 2014 hike now and have already turned in my notice at work. My biggest issue is I own a house :>(

So do I. I just prepared it for being vacant for that time, had my neighbors watch over it and water the plants. My biggest issue was to get someone to take care of my cat, which worked out also.

marshbirder
09-22-2013, 16:01
Can you take a cat on the trail with you? :-?

A couple people have :D

This guy and also Jim Adams (whiteblaze member) and Ziggy http://greatkids.outdoors.org/2011/09/sir-at-cat.html

perrymk
09-22-2013, 17:27

So do I. I just prepared it for being vacant for that time, had my neighbors watch over it and water the plants. My biggest issue was to get someone to take care of my cat, which worked out also.

Sorry if this strays a bit from the topic, but there are housesitting services that do background checks on the housesitters and everything. When I am ready to thru my thought is to check into hiring a housesitter and have them handle maildrops. It won't be free but it might be a real option.

Malto
09-22-2013, 17:41
Geomaniac,
When I was 45 I decided that I would hike the PCT two years later. My plan was to take a leave of absence from my Company and I figured I could take off about 3 months without a major financial hit. During that two year period I hike over athousand miles in a similiar fashion as my proposed trip to first see if I could and more important if I would enjoy it. Then I pulled the trigger. Was it risky? Maybe. I had a house, two kids in college and qhile my job wasn't guaranteed it had faith that it would be there for me. In the end, everything worked out great.

One last question..... I spent a few months down at Ft Benning that was in Columbus Georgia. Is that anywhere near Columbus Gerogia? :)

johnnybgood
09-22-2013, 18:14
The thought of waiting till retirement to hike the trail has become less popular in my mind every year that goes by.
Only thing holding me back is not wanting to dip into my 401k to the tune of today's cost of a long distance hike

I say go for it now while you have the cash and the timing is right.

slbirdnerd
09-22-2013, 20:43
AtlantaDave: You should be able to buy some pretty reasonable insurance on the healthcare exchange. Georgia will be using the federal exchange here: https://www.healthcare.gov/how-do-i-apply-for-marketplace-coverage/. You can apply as early as October 1 with coverage beginning January 1. When you leave your job and lose your coverage there, that becomes a qualifying event and you should be able to sign up for coverage on the exchange then even if it's not during the 'open enrollment' period which looks to be fourth quarter of each year. You may or may not qualify for a subsidy. Regardless, I am really envious of you! Like someone else said, you seem to be in a really good place to thru hike next year. I hope you have a great time! If you keep a blog or trailjournal Id love to follow.

Dogwood
09-22-2013, 21:02
Careful Careful MW I feel vulnerable right now. You're appealing to my desire to go on an anti-societal norm rant. Damn right life is more than producing, especially for someone else, and being driven by consumerism and shopping.

Sorry if this strays a bit from the topic, but there are housesitting services that do background checks on the housesitters and everything. When I am ready to thru my thought is to check into hiring a housesitter and have them handle maildrops. It won't be free but it might be a real option.

Hey, I have a new idea - post thru-hikers who house sit for present wanna be thru-hikers. Free hiking advice included.

steve0423
09-22-2013, 21:28
I'm 39, both of my parents were dead or had cancer and replacement knees before 60. I refused to wait until retirement and wonder what could have been. I walked away from a job I hated this year to thru hike. I'm extremely lucky in that while we're not loaded, we live well within our means and have no debt. I also have an incredible wife who wanted me to pursue a life long dream. She held down the fort while I was gone. If all continues to go well, I'm about to start the first job I've had in years that I'm actually excited about, an opportunity that actually came about from my thru hike. Hardest part was being away from my family for that long. Second hardest was walking away from a secure job, even one I hated. I hustled for a few years and put away a bank roll that allowed my family to function as usual and also funded my hike. Regardless, those first several weeks were scary as hell, but once I was past the point of no return it was easy to stay motivated. No way I was going to go through all that and end up quitting. Absolutely one of the greatest decisions I've ever made, no regrets what so ever

Valley Girl
09-22-2013, 21:28
I am in your age group, single and yep mid-life *** (oh I meant crisis) LOL.

If you can recognize the opportunities and take them you are gifted. Things will always work themselves out. I am doing my hike thru without a job or home to come back to and honestly I am looking forward to the adventure of the trail and beyond.

Raymond James
09-22-2013, 21:56
I do not want to make this a political discussion. The Affordable Health Care Act takes effect 1 January and could provide an answer to your insurance needs. Catastrophic health care policy something that covered hospitalization with a high deductible yet low monthly payments might work for you. With preexisting conditions no longer a reason to deny coverage you shouldn't have to worry about trying to change form one policy/company to another. Many currently stick with a group plan just so they have insurance as once they lose it they can never get it back. l

stranger
09-23-2013, 00:51
Leave and go hiking...don't focus on the risk, focus on the reward.

You're 43, I buried a mate a few years ago who was 45, brain cancer.

daddytwosticks
09-23-2013, 07:22
Misterfloyd has good advise about doing a long section hike before committing to a major life-altering change. Good luck. :)

mrcoffeect
09-23-2013, 07:46
My plan is to take a year off every 10 years or so and work up until I'm 70 if necessary...I'd rather put retirement off until later and enjoy some of my younger years.

My advice to younger people: buy a house by the time you're 25 on a 15 year note and when you pay it off don't trade up to a more expensive house. Life is great when your house is paid for and you don't owe anybody anything...leaves you with more options and possibilities.

Paid mine off in 06. couldn't have a care in the world now. life is good :-)

mankind117
09-23-2013, 08:44
I'm 33 and know the feeling. Ever since I really got into hiking and backpacking 5 years ago it has been something I've thought about and despite trying to deny it the desire to attempt a thru hiking is getting stronger. I've pretty much made up my mind that thru hiking the AT is something I am going to try before I'm 40. As soon as my wife and I have paid off our car and her student loans I have her blessing. I have a good well paying software job now but I really don't want to wait until I'm 60. Who knows if when I'm 60 I will be able to do it. I'd like to think if you take care of your I could so but you never know.

peakbagger
09-23-2013, 09:34
I had a similar career break in 2002 and did 5 weeks as a section hike. I could have kept going but at some point I decided I liked section hiking far more. Took me many more years to finish but I got to see places that thru hikers rarely see as they hike along the ridgetop in the green tunnel . Before you burn your bridges, I would suggest doing a multi week section in typical spring conditions, every one dreams about 7 days of warm sunny weather but the reality is that spring on the AT is more likely to be 7 days or longer of rain.

TheYoungOne
09-23-2013, 09:59
You personal situation is almost perfect for doing a thru hike. That is how I feel too. I'm 44 and I would love to do a thru hike but I have a wife and kids. My long term goal is to do a thru hike or a least a large section of the trail when my kids are grown up and moved out. I just hope I'm still healthy enough in my 50's & 60's to still hike, and everything at home will remain stable. However if I was single, with no wife and kids, I would definitely consider doing it. Especially because you live real close to Springer Mt. It seems most thru hikers are either young folks, with little to no commitments, or retirees with the money and time to do the things they want. Something to think about though is you need to get past the "Romance" of what you may think is an AT thru hike is all about. For the past 3 years I have followed prospective thru hikers on blogs and on youtube, and the majority never make it. Some get hurt, and suffer an injury so they can't continue. Some get sick, with anything from giardia to pneumonia to appendicitis. Some have some sort of family emergency, or just run out of money. However most potential thru hikers simply bail out on the trail. I have seen hikers start their thru hike at Springer and simply bail out within the first 100 miles. Thru hiking its a lot of walking in green tunnels, and that can get boring. Also you may be alone a lot more than you think and that can get lonely. I have even seen long term AT & PCT thru hikers who seem to break down a bit emotionally, and I bet even those who completed their thru can tell you a few times on the trail they had a strong urge to quit. The other thing I have seen are those who "Party Opt Out" of the hike. They come into town to take a Zero Day. They party in town, get linked up with a few other hikers who are party people. 1 zero day turns into 2,3 and 4, and they go "native." The party scene become more important than the trail, and eventually the hike is over. Sure you may think that you are a mature 43, but say up until that point you are hiking with a bunch of 20 year olds and seriously enjoying your thru so far. You hit Trail Days in and party hard, and fall for that 27 year old female hiker in your group who wants to spend a few days off the trail and visit NYC. She want you to join her and just like that its, your thru is over. In the end though if you are going to go, that is not a bad way to go. My advice is before you make a full commitment, take a week off soon and do a 5 to 7 day hike before the winter hits in GA. It would be a good prep hike for testing gear and to see if you like it.

pistol p
09-23-2013, 21:41
It's a tough decision, and it took me 4 years to make it. I hiked NOBO this year 3/13/13-8/14/13. I made it...and so glad that I hiked. I left my job of 17 years, at the age of 37, to hike the trail. I'm single, no kids, and I have a house. The hardest thing for ME was to make sure I had enough money to cover my home costs, the hike, and for my return...which I almost didn't. I came back basically broke. I don't regret it at all. My old boss heard I was home, called me up, and offered me my job back. I hated, and still hate the place I worked/work. But, I needed the cash, and it's easy work for me. All I can tell you brother, is that you only live once. Make sure you are covered financially, and hit the trail. It was hard as hell, I suffered a lot, but the community was there for me and I was there for them. Be safe, be smart, and have a great time. "Minnesota Pete" 2013 NOBO

CarlZ993
09-24-2013, 12:09
I wanted to hike the AT for quite some time. I couldn't do the hike in my younger years as it would have been quite detrimental to my career. So, I kept myself in good shape, lived well below my means, paid off my house early, paid cash for my cars when I needed to buy a new one, saved money like crazy, continued to backpack extensively over the years, and counted my blessings that I had a pension to fall back on at some point.

At the age of 58, I started my AT hike. I didn't have to worry about money on the hike. I had money coming in from my pension. I had money saved up & budgeted for the hike. All I had to worry about was staying healthy and finishing. Which I did.

I think the ideal time to hike the AT is right out of college. The younger kids seemed to have more 'fun' on the trail. If I could have used a 'Wayback Machine,' I would have hiked it when I was young. 30's, 40's, & early 50's? There was too much downside to keep me from reaching my financial goals in life.

da fungo
09-24-2013, 14:52
Side note:

Am I the only person to experience this: EVERY time I see the title of this thread, my initial reaction is that it will be about sex.

Back on topic: By all means, go and do your hike if there's any way possible. You never know what the future will bring. Case in point: I was laid off in the first half of 2012, at age 60. I really wanted to and strongly considered a through hike - and could easily have afforded it. Instead, I opted to do the "responsible" and devote myself to a job search. Fast forward to today: No job; no money left; no through hike under my belt and little realistic possibility of ever being able to do one. The moral of the story: Seize the day; do it now; then you'll have something remarkable to look back on.

10-K
09-25-2013, 14:07

Actually, having a career, job, and a retirement strategy is a much deeper game with a bigger potential payoff.

Most folks just can't delay gratification long enough to pull it off.

max patch
09-25-2013, 14:11
Actually, having a career, job, and a retirement strategy is a much deeper game with a bigger potential payoff.

This is an entirely true statement that few here understand.

frogmonkey
09-25-2013, 14:20

I think it really depends on the person. My husband is career oriented and has no problem working long hours for the big paycheck, saving to retire early and all that jazz. I, on the other hand, cannot figure out, for the life of me, any job that I could bust my ass at everyday for this big POTENTIAL payoff. I'm happy with my mediocre and low paying job that pays bills and puts money in my IRA every month. I also like it because, without a career, it's easy to take extended periods of time off to do awesome adventures. I feel like I have nothing to lose and so much to gain with the flexibility my non-career job allows me. I'll admit, I don't want to wait until I'm 60 to do all the things on my bucket list. I also don't want to do all of them RIGHT NOW, but I want to do them sooner than later. It's just a matter of people's priorities.

mainelydave
09-25-2013, 14:26
This is a great thread. I thought I was crazy for considering quitting my job and attempting a thru in '14. I hate my current position, am burned out on the 'corporate' life, and have wanted to do a long distance hike ever since I read my brothers copy of The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher when I was in high school. In the last few years, I've seen one former co-worker die the day after he retired at 65, another have Parkinson Disease and slowly decline (starting when he was 56), and numerous others suffer various ailments. Maybe taking a break from the hamster wheel now when I'm in my 50's and going for a walk isn't so crazy after all.

10-K
09-25-2013, 14:28
I think it really depends on the person. My husband is career oriented and has no problem working long hours for the big paycheck, saving to retire early and all that jazz. I, on the other hand, cannot figure out, for the life of me, any job that I could bust my ass at everyday for this big POTENTIAL payoff. I'm happy with my mediocre and low paying job that pays bills and puts money in my IRA every month. I also like it because, without a career, it's easy to take extended periods of time off to do awesome adventures. I feel like I have nothing to lose and so much to gain with the flexibility my non-career job allows me. I'll admit, I don't want to wait until I'm 60 to do all the things on my bucket list. I also don't want to do all of them RIGHT NOW, but I want to do them sooner than later. It's just a matter of people's priorities.

My wife is the same way. Basically, my work ethic made it possible for her to have hers.....

frogmonkey
09-25-2013, 14:53
My wife is the same way. Basically, my work ethic made it possible for her to have hers.....

My husband and I have found a good balance. He likes to make a lot of money so he can spend a lot of money and I like to save a lot of money so I don't have to make a lot of money. We've compromised, so now we (he) saves more than before and I don't have to get some higher paying job that I hate. I even offered for us to have separate accounts and one joint account for bills so it didn't seem like I was using his good job and money to be a bum, but he declined. I'll always make enough to pay my own way and still save up for adventures. This is also why I've been wearing some of the same clothes since high school, don't own any jewelry but my wedding ring (which was all of $125) and try to ride my bike everywhere to save on gas money...:D

double d
09-25-2013, 19:24
I think you are getting alot of great advice, I would only add (since we are about the same age) this: do you want to hike for 2170 miles because of your love of hiking (and all of its rewards-challanges) and/or do you want to hike 2170 miles because you don't like where you are at in life? That is only something you can answer-good luck, as I have alot of respect for your asking of this question.

evyck da fleet
09-26-2013, 23:55
I was in a similar situation a year or two ago and decided I'd turn down an offer to go hiking. I had been working as a contractor and was until a few weeks ago when I decided to hike the JMT. I figured giving up a middle management position with standard of living raises wasn't a big sacrifice. Sure I make less than I did a few years ago but I only have to take care of myself and I've got memories to last the rest of my life that I won't have to wait another 30 years, assuming I have 30 years, to experience. Thankfully, my neighbors were good about checking on the house and mowing the yard once or twice while I was gone. On a side note, I own all my stuff and have no debt so I didn't have to worry about too many non trail expenses other than utilities while I was gone. It took me three months once I got back to find some contract work which lasted until I decide to g on my JMY hike. I'd hate to have to wait until I retired to find out I'm not physically capable of hiking the Trail or as a tour guide I met out in CA mentioned - he sees couples that wait their entire lives to take a train through Alaska and then fall asleep ten minutes into the journey and miss everything because they're too tired.

RisingBull
09-27-2013, 09:37
I too work at a telecommunications spot, and as of March 31st of next year, that will not be so. The way I look at it, if I am a bajillion years old and laying on my death bed, would I regret leaving my job (which I could get hired back on at if need be) or would I regret experiencing myself through one of the greatest physical, mental and spiritual journeys I could undertake thus far? If the tug is there, and that tug feels good, chance are your soul wants to experience this. Don't allow your mind to be your sole means of operation. We are three part beings, and we must work in conjunction with our body, mind, and soul. If your soul is saying yes, listen!!!

foodbag
09-27-2013, 15:58
In 1999 I quit my job at age 42 to finally get out there and do it! I had to stop after 610 miles because of foot problems but I don't regret taking the risk for a moment.

In 2005 I quit my job again and went back to see if I could finish what I had started. This time I only made it 300 miles and change before the feet gave out. Darn those feet! But, once again no regrets.

In both instances I was able to find work following my hike and I picked up the pieces and moved on. Both times the women in my life were supportive of the task. If you are single with savings, so much the better.

The moral of the story: You are dead [I]forever[I] and live only once. Go for it, full speed ahead!

Sailing_Faith
09-27-2013, 17:00
You only have this life, and it is short. If you are inclined to go, there is only one way to never regret not having tried it.....