PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been wondering about for a while now

importman77
09-22-2013, 20:46
Are there no fire ants on the trail? In my very limited experience I didn't see any but that's certainly not to be considered proof. The thing is, I've read dozens and dozens of trail journals, hundreds of threads on here and at least 7-8 books about the trail by thru hikers and I don't think I've seen where anyone mentioned fire ants. Before my trip last year I camped in the back yard to try out my tent and I had to be careful to avoid ant beds. But no one says anything about them on the trail. So, is it possible there are no fire ants on the AT?

Lone Wolf
09-22-2013, 21:16
nope. ain't no fire ants on the AT

ChinMusic
09-22-2013, 21:21
I don't recall ground bugs being a consideration on the AT. There were some ground bees up north but not anywhere I was considering tenting.

HikerMom58
09-22-2013, 21:24
I don't recall ground bugs being a consideration on the AT. There were some ground bees up north but not anywhere I was considering tenting.

Ok... soooo I like having a "fresh from the trail" poster on WB... :>)

Wise Old Owl
09-22-2013, 21:51
not yet just a matter of time... all those conservationists are embarrassed at the moment,,, won't let the professionals do the right thing... step on them.

hikerboy57
09-22-2013, 21:53

Ok... soooo I like having a "fresh from the trail" poster on WB... :>) especially after they have showered

Sarcasm the elf
09-22-2013, 21:53
not yet just a matter of time... all those conservationists are embarrassed at the moment,,, won't let the professionals do the right thing... step on them.

What do you mean by "matter of time"? I dont know much about them. Are they invasive?

HikerMom58
09-22-2013, 22:13
especially after they have showered

Ha ha!! And maybe in his case clean shaven would be good too.. ;) That white beard is killin me. ;P

Different Socks
09-22-2013, 22:46
Are we asking bout the AT? B/c I know they're on the PCT. I accidentally sat down on a fire ant hill!! Never took off my pack faster that the moments after that so someone could brush them off my back!! LMAO!!

Trailweaver
09-23-2013, 01:08
It is my understanding from what I've read (newspapers, magazines, etc.) that the fire ants have "migrated" northward from warmer climates (Mexico? I think) and they really can't survive cold weather (yet - I suspect they will adapt). I know that at least 20 years ago I first saw them in south Alabama, and only in the last few years began seeing them here in north Ga. I am seeing them more frequently. . . And every time I do see them starting a "home" I put fire ant killer around their mound. I have so far kept them out of my yard, but do find some yearly.

so, in answer to the question - yes, they are invasive, yes they are aggressive, no, they are not in the mountains (yet), because they cannot take cold winters. Frozen ground kills the mound.

importman77
09-23-2013, 06:27
Thanks guys. I suspected the cold had something to do with it. I too have read about them migrating northward. Here in SC you have to fight a constant war against them. They are a very resilient species. I read an article about them once that said that if they're washed away in a flood they form a big ball that floats and rotates continuously so they all get to come up for air. I suspect they'll adapt to the cold and eventually they'll become a nuisance on the trail too.

daddytwosticks
09-23-2013, 07:16
They are present here in Cherokee County, NC down in the lower elevations (valleys). I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start making an appearance, especially in Georgia at the lower elevations. :)

Starchild
09-23-2013, 08:14
I'm not sure what a fireant is, though I have a idea, but did run into some sort of biting ants at 2 places. One was at the Dancing Bones Community in NH which is about a mile off the AT and lets hikers stay, I went to pick blueberries and found them. The other time I don't exactly remember, but it is a section where a newly eroded 'washout' was and while trying to climb out of it I did find a little nest of them.

importman77
09-23-2013, 08:18
This article says they're moving north and west at a rate of about 120 miles a year. And, unfortunately, they are more resistant to cold than was previously thought.
http://www.napsnet.com/pdf_archive/96/62151.pdf

Pedaling Fool
09-23-2013, 11:01
The word Fire Ant is just a common name, which actually is applied to many species and they are not simply migrating from Mexico. Most come from South America and are exported around the world including here. There is also a European species that has been introduced here http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/Myrmica_ruba.htm

Insects are very difficult to idenify, so just because you see a red ant and it bites you doesn't mean it came from South America.

Malto
09-23-2013, 11:25
They are present here in Cherokee County, NC down in the lower elevations (valleys). I suspect it's only a matter of time before they start making an appearance, especially in Georgia at the lower elevations. :)

We had them all over north of ATL. With the AT at higher and colder elevation, I think they would struggle to survive. I had a few problems with various types of ants on the PCT. much bigger issue than mosquitoes, snakes, spiders, bears, mice or people at night.

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 12:37
Ouch! What was that? Something stung me.

marshbirder
09-23-2013, 13:04
Fire ants are evil, I'm so glad to be out of Florida. I work outside and they are unavoidable. They are serious nest predators in the south too, eating chicks alive any opportunity they get. I've tried to rescue nighthawk chicks covered in them, but they rarely make it. The swamp fire ants (my name) are the freakiest! They float in balls in the water.

http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id180.htm

Dogwood
09-23-2013, 13:10
Interesting PF. I didn't know that.

marshbirder
09-23-2013, 13:29
Fire ants are evil, I'm so glad to be out of Florida. I work outside and they are unavoidable. They are serious nest predators in the south too, eating chicks alive any opportunity they get. I've tried to rescue nighthawk chicks covered in them, but they rarely make it. The swamp fire ants (my name) are the freakiest! They float in balls in the water.

http://claycoleman.tripod.com/id180.htm

Actually chiggers are evil; I'll take a fire ant over a chigger any day.

Wise Old Owl
09-23-2013, 19:51
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_imported_fire_ant

yup invasive.

Chris10
09-23-2013, 20:20
A kid down in Texas died from being bitten by fire ants during football practice about two weeks ago. It's an extreme case, but they are by far one of the worst stinging insects out there, IMO anyway.

marshbirder
09-24-2013, 09:18
A kid down in Texas died from being bitten by fire ants during football practice about two weeks ago. It's an extreme case, but they are by far one of the worst stinging insects out there, IMO anyway.

That's sad. On the flip side, I remember when this was in the news: A woman skydiving, her main chute didn't open, she landed on a fire ant mount, which is credited for her survival. The stings caused a surge of adrenaline which allegedly kept her heart beating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Murray_(skydiver)

Pedaling Fool
09-24-2013, 09:39
Chances are the kid was allergic; I wonder if bee stings would have had a similar effect upon him, or a myriad of other stinging/biting insects.

importman77
09-24-2013, 11:57
That's sad. On the flip side, I remember when this was in the news: A woman skydiving, her main chute didn't open, she landed on a fire ant mount, which is credited for her survival. The stings caused a surge of adrenaline which allegedly kept her heart beating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Murray_(skydiver)

Yeah, but at the time, if she was conscious she was probably wishing she were dead.

Grampie
09-25-2013, 09:44
I remember seeing some huge ant hills right along the trail in Pennsylvania. Some were 3to 4 feet wide and 2 ft high. Don't know if they were fire ants or not.

icemanat95
09-25-2013, 11:57
Not in PA. There are species of red ants up there that will sting, but not the same. Got into so fire ants or something similar at Ft. Benning in 1990. That sucked.

lush242000
09-25-2013, 23:03
Most ants go underground at night. Thus they don't bother you when sleeping. Learned that while doing a 21 day float on the Colorado.

Sent from somewhere.

Astro
09-25-2013, 23:29
It is my understanding from what I've read (newspapers, magazines, etc.) that the fire ants have "migrated" northward from warmer climates (Mexico? I think) and they really can't survive cold weather (yet - I suspect they will adapt). I know that at least 20 years ago I first saw them in south Alabama, and only in the last few years began seeing them here in north Ga. I am seeing them more frequently. . . And every time I do see them starting a "home" I put fire ant killer around their mound. I have so far kept them out of my yard, but do find some yearly.

so, in answer to the question - yes, they are invasive, yes they are aggressive, no, they are not in the mountains (yet), because they cannot take cold winters. Frozen ground kills the mound.

Most off the shelf "Ant Killer" I believe just sends them to your neighbors yard, that is until he does the same and you get them back. Perhaps explaining why you find them every year. :)

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2013, 08:46
Most off the shelf "Ant Killer" I believe just sends them to your neighbors yard, that is until he does the same and you get them back. Perhaps explaining why you find them every year. :)I used to get ants in the house when I had a normal yard, i.e. grass, without any biodiversity. Since tearing up most of my grass and mulching, as well as growing a very diverse population of plants I have not seen ants come into my house. I still have ants, but my theory is that they just don't need to go looking too far for food, whereas before the grass just provided a desert-like landscape causing them to become desperate for resources.

Never use any pesticides.