PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Joe

Pages : [1] 2

Trebor66
09-23-2013, 16:09
Some may remember this character. Earlier this year he made public his attempt to "yo-yo" the three long trails. He made it from Springer Mtn to Hiawasse Ga, damaging signs and shelters along the way with his graffiti, only to find himself in jail. Well it seems he's about to be released. His Facebook page mentions that he has "something big planned". Let's all hope it has nothing to do with hiking, camping, or anything to do with vandalizing the outdoors.

Slo-go'en
09-23-2013, 17:49
Maybe he could go out to the CDT and win a Darwin award...

jj2044
09-23-2013, 18:28
oh gosh, not this dude again.

steve0423
09-23-2013, 21:14
Low Gap Shelter...
contains the last Dakota Joe vandalism as you head north

don't know why I remember that
don't know why I'm sharing

Sarcasm the elf
09-23-2013, 21:25
Some may remember this character. Earlier this year he made public his attempt to "yo-yo" the three long trails. He made it from Springer Mtn to Hiawasse Ga, damaging signs and shelters along the way with his graffiti, only to find himself in jail. Well it seems he's about to be released. His Facebook page mentions that he has "something big planned". Let's all hope it has nothing to do with hiking, camping, or anything to do with vandalizing the outdoors.

I know I'm going to regret asking, but who is Dakota Joe and what did he find himself in jail for, was it something he did on the trail specifically or just something in his personal life?

atmilkman
09-23-2013, 21:34
I know I'm going to regret asking, but who is Dakota Joe and what did he find himself in jail for, was it something he did on the trail specifically or just something in his personal life?

https://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe

Trebor66
09-23-2013, 21:58
He was/is a strange guy who out the blue stated that he was going to do a triple yo yo starting with the AT last February. As the story goes, he rode his bike from somewhere in Florida to Amicalola Falls and began to hike. He was woefully inexperienced,improperly equipped, and very uneducated. He started a Facebook page "The Adventures of Dakota Joe" and several people began to follow him. Reports soon started that he was vandalizing signs and shelters by inscribing his name etc on them. People then started to hate him. Once he got to Hiawasse he had a run in with Police which led to his arrest for probation violation or something like that. Lord only knows what he has planned now.....

hikerboy57
09-23-2013, 22:26
perhaps he intends to jump the english channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk2wNWmB20

Trebor66
09-23-2013, 22:34
I was thinking it may be the Snake River Canyon...

Last Call
09-24-2013, 01:07
Sounds like a typical specimen.....

Trailweaver
09-24-2013, 01:22
If we are lucky, he'll have some probation time left to serve. If that's the case, he may break probation again, resulting in more jail time. People like that can't seem to stay away from criminals (their friends), stay clear of alcohol, or get in the house before their curfew time (if they have that requirement). Oh, and no firearms either!
Trailweaver

hobbs
09-24-2013, 01:34
[QUOTE=hikerboy57;1529820]perhaps he intends to jump the english channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvk2wNWmB20[
maybe he thinks he's super Dave and he does somethin stupier..

mtnkngxt
09-24-2013, 12:28
We'll be taking quarter bets on how long it takes for him to violate probation. I've got 72 hours or the first Friday after he's released.

Trebor66
09-24-2013, 17:06
If he was picked up on a Probation Violation warrant then he has most likely served the remainder of his sentence in jail and may be released free and clear. If so, he will probably get locked up for something else. My assumption is that he can't stay away from trouble for very long...

MuddyWaters
09-24-2013, 20:09
I think the M.O. for guys like that is to attract attention that they can somehow exploit for personal gain. I recall people were donating stuff to him.
Unfortunately, some will even dontate $.

Tuckahoe
09-24-2013, 20:21
What's the back story?

Chair-man
09-24-2013, 21:21
The dude's name is Chad Ferguson. In some small way I kinda feel bad for the dude. Maybe hiking can straighten him out but I doubt it. Here's the old link >> http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91717-Triple-Crown-Yo-Yo-attempt/page11

Trebor66
09-25-2013, 16:43
I don't feel bad at all for him. He's an adult and obviously continues to make poor decisions. He's 30ish years old ad knows right from wrong by now but would rather have his "wants" than to keep his nose clean and get his "needs".

Trebor66
09-28-2013, 12:16
Here we go again. Dakota Joe has announced on his Facebook page that he is attempting a triple yo yo starting October 30 on the PCT. Time to make the popcorn.....

Rasty
09-28-2013, 13:08
Here we go again. Dakota Joe has announced on his Facebook page that he is attempting a triple yo yo starting October 30 on the PCT. Time to make the popcorn.....

Does it get cold in January in the Sierras?

Malto
09-28-2013, 13:21

This seems well thought out. (Insert dripping with sarcasm smilie!)

Train Wreck
09-28-2013, 13:56
Does it get cold in January in the Sierras?

On occasion ...

Rasty
09-28-2013, 14:26
On occasion ...

What's the worst that could happen at Donner Pass?

max patch
09-28-2013, 14:57
I'm well aware of Dakota Joes background. I've seen the arrest reports, I've watched the youtube videos, and up to this point in his life that guy has been a real tool. But ya know what, he's served his time and there is no need to criticize him on this website. He doesn't have a chance to complete his 3 flipflops, but so what? Getting out in the woods - away from his current circle of friends - is the best thing he could do for himself. Maybe this is the point he turns his life around. Maybe it isn't. But until he screws up again - IF he screws up again, it serves no purpose to write about him on this site. Or to post negative comments on his FB page. This thread needs to be deleted IMO.

Train Wreck
09-28-2013, 15:04

I dunno, but I'd be leery of any trail magic coming from that picnic area.

Wise Old Owl
09-28-2013, 15:18
Found it...

hikerboy57
09-28-2013, 15:28
didnt they change the name to dahmer pass?

Train Wreck
09-28-2013, 15:35
didnt they change the name to dahmer pass?

Ba dump dump! :D

Sarcasm the elf
09-28-2013, 17:08
I'm well aware of Dakota Joes background. I've seen the arrest reports, I've watched the youtube videos, and up to this point in his life that guy has been a real tool. But ya know what, he's served his time and there is no need to criticize him on this website. He doesn't have a chance to complete his 3 flipflops, but so what? Getting out in the woods - away from his current circle of friends - is the best thing he could do for himself. Maybe this is the point he turns his life around. Maybe it isn't. But until he screws up again - IF he screws up again, it serves no purpose to write about him on this site. Or to post negative comments on his FB page. This thread needs to be deleted IMO.

I have to say that I agree with you on this. A lot of us were concerned when he cryptically posted that he had something big planned, but now it's been revealed that his big plan isn't anything malicious, it's just that he is going to continue hiking.

I don't think he's got a chance but that's on him, whatever distance he does manage to hike is still farther than I'm getting while I'm sitting on my couch surfing posting to message boards.

hikerboy57
09-28-2013, 17:18
I have to say that I agree with you on this. A lot of us were concerned when he cryptically posted that he had something big planned, but now it's been revealed that his big plan isn't anything malicious, it's just that he is going to continue hiking.

I don't think he's got a chance but that's on him, whatever distance he does manage to hike is still farther than I'm getting while I'm sitting on my couch surfing posting to message boards.

+2 .

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2013, 09:46
Just curious most of us know Dakota Joe's Background of incarceration and trashing of trails.... If you accidentally met him on the trail - what would you say - if anything? How would this change your opinion in public?

What would you do differently?

He appears to have a popular following on Facebook.

mrcoffeect
09-29-2013, 10:12

well said. i dont understand why folks have a tendancy to jump on the hate wagon. to bust on something that someone dreams of doing, even if they stand little chance. is just weak.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2013, 10:29
Tis easy to jump on the hate wagon when someone is caught trashing something you love. I have never understood why people feel the need to write bathroom wall notes on every tree and shelter. Until someone comes up behind and says Hi - wow that was stupid - are you a child?

HikerMom58
09-29-2013, 11:35
Just curious most of us know Dakota Joe's Background of incarceration and trashing of trails.... If you accidentally met him on the trail - what would you say - if anything? How would this change your opinion in public?

What would you do differently?

He appears to have a popular following on Facebook.

Ok so.. I also noticed that he has/had support from a lot of friends, of mine, on the hiking FB pages.

I think he is no different from a lot of others that want to hike long distant trails. It seems he found out that fellow backpackers are helpful, accepting, generous, encouraging and forgiving people. That's a good thing.

If I met him, in person, I would ask him why he is hiking. I ask everyone that question.. ... everyone has a story as to why they are out hiking the trails. For some it's simple, others more complicated. Not everyone wants to share.

If I met him on the trail,I would mention his "reputation" and the fact that he has one. I would try to get to know him... try to understand him.

I think he realizes that people can get a lot of attention, (negative or positive) if you make your hike "public". No surprise there.

If I felt uncomfortable around him, after interacting with him, and/or his behavior "freaked me out", I would move on.
I have met a person on the trail, in the past, that freaked me out.

I don't hike alone, I have many personal reasons. My daughter hiked alone.. I can't do it.

People are interesting.....

Slo-go'en
09-29-2013, 11:36
Unfortunetly, Joe is not alone in defacing shelter walls. He got called out about it since he posted doing it. There are no shelters on the PCT for him to tag, so that won't be a problem this time around.

No, the issue now is that he's starting at the wrong time of year, likely with the same inadaquate equipment, with likely little money and no clue what he's really getting into. He could very well win a Darwin award.

aficion
09-29-2013, 11:55
In answer to WOO's question: If it were evening, and we were camping in the same area, I'd probably offer him a drink and get to know him. Otherwise I doubt i would ever know he is who he is.

Mountain Mike
09-29-2013, 12:24

Is he riding his bike to Campo?

hikerboy57
09-29-2013, 12:28
In answer to WOO's question: If it were evening, and we were camping in the same area, I'd probably offer him a drink and get to know him. Otherwise I doubt i would ever know he is who he is.

i would ask him to share whatever it is hes been smoking

Train Wreck
09-29-2013, 16:06
i would ask him to share whatever it is hes been smoking

The Sturgeon General has determined that smoking salmon is bad for your health.

Last Call
09-29-2013, 16:28
What I can't grasp is how he still seems so clue-less after having spent some time on the Trail. Whatever happened to Rifle?

aficion
09-29-2013, 20:07
What I can't grasp is how he still seems so clue-less after having spent some time on the Trail. Whatever happened to Rifle?

Don't know. Clueless here.

dukakis
09-30-2013, 10:09
In this ambitious plan, I count a total of six Thrus. Six times a conservative estimate of $6,000. $36,000. Judging by his equipment, money's tight. Good luck with that.

Trebor66
10-02-2013, 22:59
Is he riding his bike to Campo?

Yes he is. His plan is to leave Port Charlotte Florida on October 30th and ride to Campo. I figure it will take him close to two months to get there, which will be around the first of the year. Probably not the best start date for the PCT.

hobbs
10-02-2013, 23:40
Yes he is. His plan is to leave Port Charlotte Florida on October 30th and ride to Campo. I figure it will take him close to two months to get there, which will be around the first of the year. Probably not the best start date for the PCT.

I give this guy credit if he rides a bike 2 months..I noticed someone tried to tell him about whiteblaze so he could learn something..I think it fell on deaf ears..Its another Dumb@## stunt with this guy..

Trebor66
11-01-2013, 17:42
FWIW- looks like Dakota Joe has cancelled his plans for the PCT and is once again headed for Springer Mtn. for his second attempt at the AT.

Slo-go'en
11-01-2013, 18:04
FWIW- looks like Dakota Joe has cancelled his plans for the PCT and is once again headed for Springer Mtn. for his second attempt at the AT.

His timing sure isn't good. At least he'll be closer to home..

Night Train
11-01-2013, 18:26
Any idea given about his ETA at Springer?

Coffee
11-01-2013, 18:45
If the goal is to yo-yo the AT, wouldn't it make more sense to start around February 1, get to Maine around June 1, and then turn around? If he starts now, he would get to Maine before Baxter Park is open, hiking up in the dead of winter, then even assuming he can get into Baxter he would turn around and start hiking during the spring when you don't want to be in Maine, NH, and Vermont? Plan doesn't add up at all.

Mountain Mike
11-01-2013, 22:53
He must be planning for time being incarcerated along the trail.

HikerMom58
11-02-2013, 10:02

MM welcome back!! :D Speaking of Dokota. You live in Sturgis South Dakota. I noticed that another member on WB lives in Black Hills South Dakota. I believe that is close to you... lucky person to live so close to Mountain Mike!! :sun

mfleming
11-02-2013, 13:04

Let's skip the hate

max patch
11-02-2013, 13:08
Let's skip the hate

I agree. The dude has served his time and he is square with society. No need for some of the comments expressed on this site.

Sarcasm the elf
11-02-2013, 14:10
I agree. The dude has served his time and he is square with society. No need for some of the comments expressed on this site.

I hiked Amacola to Hogspen three weeks ago and there were many places that still bore his vandalism advertising his Facebook page. He'll be square with society once his graffiti is removed from the trail, if and when he does that then I will wish him the best of luck going forward.

Last Call
11-02-2013, 14:17
He posts often on Facepage, he certainly has a knack for soliciting bikes, smoking paraphernalia, equipment, etc.....he left 3 days ago, still in Florida headed for Amicalola.

bfayer
11-02-2013, 15:02
I hiked Amacola to Hogspen three weeks ago and there were many places that still bore his vandalism advertising his Facebook page. He'll be square with society once his graffiti is removed from the trail, if and when he does that then I will wish him the best of luck going forward.

Amen. I keep it simple, if you want my forgiveness then fix what ya broke, and convince me you won't do it again. Not a complicated equation.

I looked at this guys Facebook page, doesn't look like he has done either of the above to me.

Trebor66
11-02-2013, 15:43
If this guy wasn't bizarre enough, apparently he is on "Beyond Scared Straight" on the A&E Channel this Thursday at 10pm.

Trebor66
11-02-2013, 15:46

Maybe when he gets closer to Amicalola I'll leave a care package (a quart of mineral spirits and a scrubby) at the Visitors Center with a note on what to do with it.

max patch
11-02-2013, 15:57
If this guy wasn't bizarre enough, apparently he is on "Beyond Scared Straight" on the A&E Channel this Thursday at 10pm.

Trailer (starring Dakota Joe):

http://www.aetv.com/beyond-scared-straight/episode-guide/season-5/charlotte-county-fl-52#52

Last Call
11-02-2013, 16:07

http://www.aetv.com/beyond-scared-straight/episode-guide/season-5/charlotte-county-fl-52#52

Very bizarre indeed!

bfayer
11-02-2013, 16:08

This is a simple fact: People in jail do not do anything unless there is something in it for themselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the folks in this video including Dakota Joe are trying to help kids.

max patch
11-02-2013, 16:14

Thanks Trebor for the heads up.

I started a new thread so that this clip will not be "buried" and that anyone who wants to watch the show can do so. I've seen this show a couple times, once you've seen it once you've seen them all, but I'll be watching this episode.

bfayer
11-02-2013, 16:23
This is a simple fact, people in jail do not do anything unless there is something in it for themselves. None of the prisoners in this show are trying to help kids.

Trebor66
11-02-2013, 16:43
Thanks Trebor for the heads up.

No problem MP. He comes up on my Facebook page a few times a day. If there's one thing he's good at it is promoting himself. I'll re-advise once he gets close to AFSP.

squeezebox
11-03-2013, 11:12
My thought untreated mental illness.

Trebor66
11-08-2013, 17:00
Against my better judgement I watched the show last night. Not surprised that it was a total waste of my time.

kayak karl
11-08-2013, 18:56
This is a simple fact: People in jail do not do anything unless there is something in it for themselves. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the folks in this video including Dakota Joe are trying to help kids. i know three personally that have turned there life around and now would do anything to help a kid on drugs. Simple fact: Your wrong.

bfayer
11-08-2013, 19:11
i know three personally that have turned there life around and now would do anything to help a kid on drugs. Simple fact: Your wrong.

How often do you visit them in jail?

max patch
11-08-2013, 19:17
I'm going to Dakota Joe at his word that he trying to change his life around. He's done his time, paid his debt to society, and as far as I'm concerned he's starting with a clean slate. I hope to run into him on the trail in Georgia this spring.

Dakota Joe says:

"Hey Guys, Dakota Joe here, and welcome to my long winded credo written from the cold computer room of the Embassy Suites Hotel in Tampa, Fl. I have a few things to say and would like every person to read this with an open mind, First of all, my last trip to the A.T. failed because I had somethings hanging over my head and should have not left at the time I did, but if you knew me at that time then you would say that the best thing for me to do was to leave everything that surrounded me behind. If you were to ask me exactly why I want to hike as badly as I do I could only answer you with one simple reply. That reply would be "Because I wanted to become something completely different than I have ever ben in my entire life and complete at least one childhood dream." You see, every summer since I was a young boy my parents would take us to Gatlinburg and we would always visit Clingman's Dome. One year I decided that I would hike the A.T. and see every sight there is to see. So when things got super bad for me I decided I was going to do just that. I was the first one to admit that I had absolutely no experience in what I was getting myself into and that my lack of fear was probably not the best way to approach the situation. I hopped on my bicycle with two back packs and a duffle bag and racks made out of an old banged up shopping cart and set forth on my mission. Food Balance $200.00 a month. Cash balance $0.00. I would like to ask you a question. How easy do you think it wa to leave everything you know and head out into the d arkness with nothing? It was not easy at all, but then again, I don't really like easy. Did I bite off more than I can chew? Absolutely. Did I know what I was doing? Not one bit. I was operating on hope and a Dream. Does that make me any worse than any other human being on the f ace of this planet? No. Many did not even think that I would make it to Tampa, Fl from Port Charlotte, but I did. Then I even went out of my way to the Panhandle and saw my good friend Kevin Montgomery. From Altha it took me 7 days to get to Amicalola Falls, Georgia. I met a lot of great people and saw a lot of great sights along the way and tried my best to post pictures and write stories about all the kindness bestowed upon me. I was so excited when I made it to Amicalola Falls and that is a feeling that can never be taken away from me. Ever. Now, when I hiked into the Len Foote Hike Inn I volunteered my dish washing services and they fed me and gave me a room for the night and a lot of good advice. Wade Cantrell looked at me and said "If you get caught out there in those clothes with that gear on friday (January 25th, 2013) then there is no ifs about it, you will die." Well, as posted earlier this year I got caught on top of Blood Mountain on that exacty day in a freezing rain storm with that same gear. To top it off I was even more reckless and got to the shelter and could have stopped but kept going with my usual intensity and determination. I made it to Neel's Gap, cold and wet, but alive. I was the first one to admit I was reckless and stupid. Everyone that knows me will tell you that I will always be the first to talk trash about myself but never talk trash about another in a manner that demeans them. I make mistakes and if you find me the person who defecates gold I will admit that there is a perfect person on this planet. When I was hiking I noticed other people were writing on signs and shelter walls and I remember "Hey, that's cool, I want to be remembered by being here too" and followed suit. A mistake that I regret and intend to rectify personally. You know me, with pictures. That was the typical "Blind Leading The Blind" scenario. I publicly apologize to everyone I have offended. You do not have to believe that. I do not know why they put t he proof in the pudding, but they did, and that is exactly where I will find it with my unwashed fingers. You see, I really do not care about the types of things that people say about me, because I do not hide my mistakes. I wrote on some signs and shelters and that was wrong, I see that now, but never did I destroy any piece of a shelter other than by writing on the wall. Love me or hate, the funny thing is that people still like to talk about me. That I cannot deny and everyone has a different opinion. I am a human being like everyone else and every day there is something new to learn. Those who fail to learn are destined to keep repeating their old mistakes. I can wipe off the negativity like a spec of dust off my shoulder and use it to build a fire of determination and rise from the ashes of said fire like a mythical Phoenix. A few of you think I should be all hustle and bustle to get to the trail and the fact that I am dawdling to get there means that I don't have what it takes to do this, but the real reason is that I know I cannot get there too soon, but I have been waiting 9 months to get back to where I started. Everyone know that Floridian Winters are the best there is anyway. One of my closest friends told me "Dude, your like the Eminem of the hiking world." Eminem grew and matured through his career and the newer stuff he produces has more meaning than the wild antics of his early career. I feel like him when he says "Have you ever been hated on or discriminated against" in his song titled "Cleaning Out My Closet." So I am supported, judged, hated on, laughed at, and rooted on. I sparked a little bit off a controversey. I got people talking. Little old me, this guy who has never done anything worth while in his entire life caused ripples in the tranquil pond and not all of them were bad. Unfortunately, not all of them were good either. Welcome to life. So as I meander on my way back to the trail I reflect on how not to do things and how to do some things better. Do you think I have not read the threads? I have. It was comical to me and displayed all aspects of society. I have learned to take it at a "One trail at a time" aspect. Focus on the A.T. and the A.T. alone. I am not looking any further than that at this given time. I write fluidly and eloquently and could use my vocabulary for many things, but I choose to use my words to attempt to enstill hope and give people courage to follow their own dreams no matter where their life has taken them. I have been to jail and met a lot of really good people who have just made poor decisions in their lives and I can completely relate to that. Mike Green, Robert Harrison, Steven Morales, Chett Eggers, and Ryan Handlon are just a few of these people. I want the whole entire world to know that it is never too late to follow your dreams despite the mistakes that you have made in the past. Quoting Deryck Whibley from Sum-41, "So when you hold onto the past then you will break down what little is left." Before I bore you to death I am going to take this oppurtunity to say Thank You to every last one of you who has supported me, helped me, and even all of you who have said anything negative about me hoping to hinder me, but actually helping me by adding to my determination. It is longer than 72 hours and I'm not back in jail so who just lost the quarter bet on that one? Since some of you are so fond of copying and pasting things to Whiteblaze, and for that I thank you as well, here you go. Be sure to leave the rag and the mineral spirits at the trail head. The weight is worth it. I love all of you! #KeepTheDreamAlive"

kayak karl
11-08-2013, 19:17
How often do you visit them in jail? one was my stepson, so as often as i could. the others were at prison aa/na meeting. just don't write everybody off.

WingedMonkey
11-08-2013, 20:26
Amen. I keep it simple, if you want my forgiveness

I still can't stop LOL over this.

bfayer
11-08-2013, 20:33
one was my stepson, so as often as i could. the others were at prison aa/na meeting. just don't write everybody off.

I don't write everybody off either, my point was that I was referring to folks currently in jail/prison. Surviving in jail requires folks to become very self centered very quickly. Everything they do while they are there is based on self interest and self preservation. Lots of people turn themselves around once they get out, but while they are in, it's either about themselves or they don't make it.

Maslow was not right about everything, but he was right about this.

I'm glad your stepson is got himself straight. It's easy to fix broken stuff, but when it's yourself that needs fixing, well that just plain hard work.

Trebor66
11-08-2013, 21:52
He's been in and out of jail multiple times since he was 15. It takes a lot more than a flamboyant personality and a long winded Facebook post to change my mind. Time will tell and actions speak louder than words........

If I ran into him on the trail I would give him a shot but I'd keep one eye open until he proves himself.

Second Hand
11-08-2013, 22:12
[QUOTE=max patch;1815250]I'm going to Dakota Joe at his word that he trying to change his life around. He's done his time, paid his debt to society, and as far as I'm concerned he's starting with a clean slate. I hope to run into him on the trail in Georgia this spring.

I'm with Max patch. The guy has paid for his crimes. I hope he follows through and cleans up whatever vandalism he caused. As long as he does that and doesn't cause any trouble with the hiking community, then he is just another guy attempting a thru hike, and I pull for everyone who takes such a leap of faith.

Trebor66
11-08-2013, 22:18
With roughly 10 arrests in 15 years when is it acceptable to write someone off??

mfleming
11-08-2013, 22:20
With roughly 10 arrests in 15 years when is it acceptable to write someone off??

Why do you feel you need to write him off? Is he part of your life?

Coffee
11-08-2013, 22:21
He writes on FB that he will be fixing the graffiti when he gets to the trail. So that's a good test early on.

kayak karl
11-08-2013, 22:25
With roughly 10 arrests in 15 years when is it acceptable to write someone off?? When you are giving what is holy to the dogs or casting your pearls before swine :)

Trebor66
11-08-2013, 22:25
We will see...

slow mind
11-09-2013, 15:13
This is a simple fact, people in jail do not do anything unless there is something in it for themselves. None of the prisoners in this show are trying to help kids.

Putting the show aside... That sir is an ignorant line of total BS. I apologize if that sounds rude to anyone but that line is stereotypical crap.

Also I don't need to visit a jail to know you are wrong. I know firsthand.

RCBear
11-09-2013, 17:36
All I know is that I thank God that when I was in my early 20s the Internet (as it is today), digital cameras, mobile devices and social media sites didn't exist. Cause if they did, I'd be staring 8 pages of vitriol from you fine folk in the face as well :-) I wouldn't think about carving my name in a tree today, but trust me when I say that 25 years ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Or taking a Bi-Lo cow from one store roof and mounting behind another in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Chaco Taco
11-12-2013, 11:11
I'm going to Dakota Joe at his word that he trying to change his life around. He's done his time, paid his debt to society, and as far as I'm concerned he's starting with a clean slate. I hope to run into him on the trail in Georgia this spring.

:cool: Well said. People go through stuff, they get over it and they move on and try to make a better life for themselves. We should never write people off. I just hope DJ does not vandalize the trails. I hope he finds what he is looking for, just leave no trace.

ChinMusic
11-12-2013, 11:21
Paying a debt to society does not equate to trusting someone.

mfleming
11-12-2013, 15:01
Paying a debt to society does not equate to trusting someone.

True, but do you really think your life orbits will ever intersect where it will be necessary to make that "trust" decision?

ChinMusic
11-12-2013, 15:20
True, but do you really think your life orbits will ever intersect where it will be necessary to make that "trust" decision?

If I were hiking my thru in '14 instead of '13, maybe. I don't see the relevance of that probability playing into this discussion.

Odd Man Out
11-12-2013, 17:16
I would say that when I meet someone for the first time, I trust them until they give me some reason not to. I suspect others do it the other way around. Not saying one is better than another. Just the way it is.

jeffmeh
11-12-2013, 17:23
I would say that when I meet someone for the first time, I trust them until they give me some reason not to. I suspect others do it the other way around. Not saying one is better than another. Just the way it is.

I would say that I trust them within limits up to where they could meaningfully harm my person or property, until we have established enough of a relationship where I am convinced I can trust them further. :)

hikerboy57
11-12-2013, 17:24
+1. i try to give people the benefit of the doubt till they prove me otherwise.
i do, however, rely heavily on my instincts as well.

Team Dakota Joe
11-13-2013, 00:52
Team Dakota Joe here. Super grateful for the " Benefit of the doubt " , although unsolicited. You don't have to like Dakota Joe ( although he is a super likable guy), nor do you have to trust him. Just Tag along for the Adventure. Rest assured that hilarity will ensue and this will be the adventure of a lifetime for one dude, and those he encounters along the way.

http://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe

ChinMusic
11-13-2013, 01:14
Will Team Dakota Joe be repairing the damage that Dakota Joe has already done?

Team Dakota Joe
11-13-2013, 01:23
Will Team Dakota Joe be repairing the damage that Dakota Joe has already done?

Dakota Joe has answered this question as well as others on his facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/TheAdventuresOfDakotaJoe

ChinMusic
11-13-2013, 01:36
A "yes" or "no" would suffice. I ain't bothering to go to your page. YOU came here.

Team Dakota Joe
11-13-2013, 01:47
Of course we came here. There is a thread named after Joe.

As for cleaning up the small mess he left behind. Well he most certainly isn't going to continue the practice, and document it for a " Street Art on the Trail " Coffee table book. That for sure !!!

Go Dakota Joe!

Rocket Jones
11-13-2013, 07:11
The question was "is he going to repair the damage he did", not "will he continue to be a vandal." Way to non-answer a straightforward question. And spinning it as "small mess" leads me to believe that the answer is no, the a** will not be doing the right thing.

Trebor66
11-13-2013, 07:29
As stated before, there will be a small bottle of mineral spirits and a scrubby waiting for him at the visitors center at Amicacola State Park.

RCBear
11-13-2013, 07:40

As for cleaning up the small mess he left behind. Well he most certainly isn't going to continue the practice, and document it for a " Street Art on the Trail " Coffee table book. That for sure !!!

Go Dakota Joe!

Since Joe is now a "we", why can't he get his minions to at least clean up his mess. I think this dude suffers from bouts of extreme grandiosity. Most that talk about themselves in 3rd person do.

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 08:10

Go Dakota Joe!

Since Joe is now a "we", why can't he get his minions to at least clean up his mess. I think this dude suffers from bouts of extreme grandiosity. Most that talk about themselves in 3rd person do.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2 hikerboy disagrees

max patch
11-13-2013, 08:41
Give the guy a break. Rife apologized for his graffiti and suddenly became the greatest guy in the world around here.

fins1838
11-13-2013, 08:56
I like to think people can learn from their mistakes, & change for the better. I wish him well & hope he becomes a productive human being.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 09:10
I like to think people can learn from their mistakes, & change for the better. I wish him well & hope he becomes a productive human being.

My experience with those that talk in the third person is the opposite. Until he can straighten that out he won't make any progress.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 09:11
My experience with those that talk in the third person is the opposite. Until he can straighten that out he won't make any progress.

Rasty was pointing his finger at Hikerboy mostly! :)

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 09:19
hikerboy has no problem with people who speak in the third person.jimmy likes elaine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGuXxHTgdWk

RCBear
11-13-2013, 09:31
hikerboy disagrees

Lmao! Can't believe that escaped me first go round.

Astro
11-13-2013, 10:14
The question was "is he going to repair the damage he did", not "will he continue to be a vandal." Way to non-answer a straightforward question. And spinning it as "small mess" leads me to believe that the answer is no, the a** will not be doing the right thing.

Sounds like "the team" is getting ready to run him for public office with answers like that.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 10:23
Sounds like "the team" is getting ready to run him for public office with answers like that.

The trail name "The Govenor" is already being used

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 10:26
Milkman think team Dakota Joe funny guy.

Old Hiker
11-13-2013, 10:55
Milkman think team Dakota Joe funny guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_G8mHdJ5UI

jeffmeh
11-13-2013, 10:57
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O9Uy4cKZoY

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 18:48
hikerboy has no problem with people who speak in the third person.jimmy likes elaine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGuXxHTgdWk
Classic stuff.

Trebor66
11-13-2013, 19:26
I did some quick and very rough math. As of today (11-13-13) he is in Wildwood Florida. That's about 460 miles away from Ellijay Ga. He has been averaging 13 miles a day so far. If this similar pace continues he will get to AFSP in 35 days or so.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 19:45
I did some quick and very rough math. As of today (11-13-13) he is in Wildwood Florida. That's about 460 miles away from Ellijay Ga. He has been averaging 13 miles a day so far. If this similar pace continues he will get to AFSP in 35 days or so.

Where did he start from and when?

bfayer
11-13-2013, 19:49

Interesting. 13 miles a day, on a bicycle, in Florida. That must be what, maybe an hour of riding a day? Amazing.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 19:54
Interesting. 13 miles a day, on a bicycle, in Florida. That must be what, maybe an hour of riding a day? Amazing.

There was much traffic dude!

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 19:56
thats almost 21 kilometers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:15

It's not the kilometers.................................

bfayer
11-13-2013, 20:20

Well since you put it that way :)

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 20:24
It's not the kilometers.................................

its the smilometers!

Toon
11-13-2013, 20:25
From his pictures on fb he looks to be wearing all cotton clothing with a huge pack. I bet he's done by the first big snow..

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Chair-man
11-13-2013, 20:31
Must be nice to have a "TEAM" to support you and not have to worry about ever getting a job. Evidently, I've been doing it all wrong.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:31
From his pictures on fb he looks to be wearing all cotton clothing with a huge pack. I bet he's done by the first big snow..

The cold front that has moved through FL has the temp in Wildwood all the way down to a frigid 54 degrees. That could have something to do with the low bike mileage.

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:39

Aficion no follow.

Aficion no lead.

Aficion get out of way.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:45
Aficion no follow.

Aficion no lead.

Aficion get out of way.

Aficion needs to go a fishin'.

bfayer
11-13-2013, 20:47
The cold front that has moved through FL has the temp in Wildwood all the way down to a frigid 54 degrees. That could have something to do with the low bike mileage.

That and the steep climbs. Never underestimate the effects of altitude change in Central Florida.

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:47
Aficion needs to go a fishin'.

Goin huntin. New toy!

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:49
Goin huntin. New toy!

Have you ever heard of a canal rifle. They're real popular in FL.

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 20:51
That and the steep climbs. Never underestimate the effects of altitude change in Central Florida.
thats what hes got the team for.fix the ropes and all that

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:51

Aficion wonder.... canal rifle popular as Dakota Joe?

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:56

Aficion prefer Noles to Canes.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:56
Aficion wonder.... canal rifle popular as Dakota Joe?

It's what the FL crackers call a bamboo pole.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 20:57
Aficion prefer Noles to Canes.

Heck, you knew what it was.

aficion
11-13-2013, 20:59

Aficion put many miles on cane pole. Dakota Joe put many miles on internet.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 21:04
Aficion put many miles on cane pole. Dakota Joe put many miles on internet.

Milkman's momma one time caught 5lb. bass on cane pole. Funniest thing you ever saw. Yanked the thing right out of the canal and flew it over her head backwards. It was a family outing and all of us laughed like heck for hours. Around holidays it would get brought up and relived. Oh yeah, "Go Dakota Joe".

aficion
11-13-2013, 21:18
Milkman's momma one time caught 5lb. bass on cane pole. Funniest thing you ever saw. Yanked the thing right out of the canal and flew it over her head backwards. It was a family outing and all of us laughed like heck for hours. Around holidays it would get brought up and relived. Oh yeah, "Go Dakota Joe".

Love it. My oldest son did similar thing with his first native brookie on a fly. Yanked it clear out of the water, hit him in the face and landed at his feet, he had to catch it with his hands before it got away. Biggest fish of the trip.

Go Dakota Joe and Team! When you get to Virginia I'll feed the lot of ya.

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 21:42
Love it. My oldest son did similar thing with his first native brookie on a fly. Yanked it clear out of the water, hit him in the face and landed at his feet, he had to catch it with his hands before it got away. Biggest fish of the trip.

Go Dakota Joe and Team! When you get to Virginia I'll feed the lot of ya.
"Hostess - party of one".

Toon
11-13-2013, 21:45
When do you expect to start the trail "tdk" seems December is not the best start time.....

Toon
11-13-2013, 21:46
When do you expect to start the trail "tdk" seems December is not the best start time.....

"Tdj"

aficion
11-13-2013, 21:48
"Hostess - party of one".

Do they still make Twinkies?

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 21:50
Do they still make Twinkies?

hikerboy doesnt like twinkies

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 21:50

Uh Hikin Stick? I love these guys....

hikerboy57
11-13-2013, 21:52

they look like weebles.

aficion
11-13-2013, 22:03
they look like weebles.

Dakota Joe wobble?

Wise Old Owl
11-13-2013, 22:03
They don't fall down...

Toon
11-13-2013, 22:05
Dakota Joe wobble?

I think he's been wobbeling for some time, with his cane pole and his bottle of shine..

Astro
11-13-2013, 22:11
The trail name "The Govenor" is already being used

Governor was a great guy I met last month in VA! :)

Astro
11-13-2013, 22:12

Yeah, Mount Dora has to be at least 100 to 200 feet.

Astro
11-13-2013, 22:15

They really are great people!

atmilkman
11-13-2013, 22:16
I think he's been wobbeling for some time, with his cane pole and his bottle of shine..

Reminds me of Bubba.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9p8O_JfQEsU http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9p8O_JfQEsU

Toon
11-13-2013, 22:32
I really wanna see his gear list.

Rasty
11-13-2013, 22:33

I thought Floridans talk about a change in latitude?

Rasty
11-13-2013, 22:37
hikerboy doesnt like twinkies

If you smear twinkies on your feet it will toughen them up.

aficion
11-13-2013, 22:39
I thought Floridans talk about a change in latitude?

James Buffet?

Toon
11-13-2013, 22:40

Toon
11-13-2013, 22:41
That's Joe by the way not me. :screwy:

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 08:43
Hi guys! Greetings from team Dakota Joe. Let me start by saying, this is not Joe. No third person being used here. I find the attitude here amusing and cant wait to align myself with you super cool guys.
Yes december is not the ideal time to start the trail. But hey. Dakota Joe is a real man, and no cold front is gonna delay his walk in the woods.
He has publicly apologized for the unfortunate incidents that may or may not have occured during his last attempt, and he has clearly stated his intention to right the wrongs. However trivial they may be.
Someone asked for a gear list. We are gonna work on that. Although Dakota Joe would make the trip with just a bic lighter and a rambo knife if he was feeling lucky.

Rasty
11-14-2013, 08:47
Hi guys! Greetings from team Dakota Joe. Let me start by saying, this is not Joe. No third person being used here. I find the attitude here amusing and cant wait to align myself with you super cool guys.
Yes december is not the ideal time to start the trail. But hey. Dakota Joe is a real man, and no cold front is gonna delay his walk in the woods.
He has publicly apologized for the unfortunate incidents that may or may not have occured during his last attempt, and he has clearly stated his intention to right the wrongs. However trivial they may be.
Someone asked for a gear list. We are gonna work on that. Although Dakota Joe would make the trip with just a bic lighter and a rambo knife if he was feeling lucky.

You initials are D.J. on your profile. coincidence or is it Don Johnson or Dirk James or Dave Juggler?

hikerboy57
11-14-2013, 09:06
hikerboy like the attitude

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 09:09
You initials are D.J. on your profile. coincidence or is it Don Johnson or Dirk James or Dave Juggler?

Intentional coincidence. As of now Joe has no data signal and is updating his team via text. KEEPIN THE DREAM ALIVE !!

Posted by :
Murdock
The Producer

hikerboy57
11-14-2013, 09:11
Although Dakota Joe would make the trip with just a bic lighter and a rambo knife if he was feeling lucky.
whats the lighter for?

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 09:47
whats the lighter for?

Well its not for smoking weed if that's what you're implying. Lol

Hey guys Team dakota joe thanks you for all of your support. we will keep this thread updated throughout Joe's entire journey
Feel free to message him or his team via his Facebook page.

Facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe

Posted by:
Murdock
The Producer

Coffee
11-14-2013, 09:49

Dakota Joe may have a bright future in politics.

atmilkman
11-14-2013, 09:54
hikerboy like the attitude

Tarzan say "umgowa".

atmilkman
11-14-2013, 09:56
Dakota Joe may have a bright future in politics.

.......or sports. New trail name - "Tiger" Joe.

hikerboy57
11-14-2013, 09:56
Well its not for smoking weed if that's what you're implying. Lol

just felt it was overkill

atmilkman
11-14-2013, 09:58
Hi guys! Greetings from team Dakota Joe. Let me start by saying, this is not Joe. No third person being used here.

C'mon Roadside - give it up.

atmilkman
11-14-2013, 09:59
just felt it was overkill

at the least a mini-bic

hikerboy57
11-14-2013, 10:01
at the least a mini-bicwhy the heck does he need it at all?hes got the bowie knife.

atmilkman
11-14-2013, 10:29
why the heck does he need it at all?hes got the bowie knife.

You're right! He could just strike it against the sidewalks in FL.

bfayer
11-14-2013, 10:58
On a serious note, "Real Men" without proper gear get themselves in serious trouble hiking the AT in the winter. That often results in other folks risking their lives to save said "real men". "Real Men" do not put other folks in danger just to serve their own foolish pride.

Dakota Joe would do much better if he gave up the bravado, came up with a real apology, corrected his previous damage, and asked for sincere advice and assistance from the good folks here on WB.

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 11:18
If tlhike. Thats where the fun is. As for the danger this places first responders in,
Joe offers up a heartfelt "My Bad Dudes"

Stop asking for apologies. There wont be any more. Dakota Joe has already expressed his sympathy for whatever small mistakes that may or may not have been made as a result of inexperiance and over enthusiasm.

On a side note, check out your boy Dakota Joe scare some kids on A & E Beyond Scared Straight , port charlotte , fl episode,
available on Comast OnDemand!!!

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 11:22
If the good people here at whiteblaze want to help out in the form of sponsership or donations. Contact Joe or the Team for details on how

As for the the danger factor of an ill prepared winter hike. Thats where the fun is. As for the danger this places first responders in,
Joe offers up a heartfelt "My Bad Dudes"

Stop asking for apologies. There wont be any more. Dakota Joe has already expressed his sympathy for whatever small mistakes that may or may not have been made as a result of inexperience and over enthusiasm.

On a side note, check out your boy Dakota Joe scare some kids on A & E Beyond Scared Straight , port charlotte , fl episode,
available on Comcast OnDemand!!!

Keep the Dream Alive!!

Second Hand
11-14-2013, 11:40
There is nothing fun about being unprepared in the winter. I have been standing up for Dakota Joe on WB, but that ends now. The people on this website take hiking seriously. Until you have spent a night outside when it's below 10 and snowing you have no idea what your in for. People with experience are offering advice and guidance and instead of reaching out to us, you ask for donations and push Dakota Joe's TV show. I was hopeful that Joe was looking to better himself by using the trail the way we all are, but now it's clear he is just pushing his own self interest. Before you ask for donations, please keep in mind your talking to an audience that have jobs, families and responsibilities. We pay for our adventures by working, not by looking for handouts. I'm sure my message will fall on deaf ears, but Joe's 1st night in sub freezing conditions while wearing jeans and a hoody will leave a lasting memory.

ChinMusic
11-14-2013, 11:47
Joe's 1st night in sub freezing conditions while wearing jeans and a hoody will leave a lasting memory.
ChinMusic wants to warn DJ about wearing a hoodie while in Florida.

FooFighter'12
11-14-2013, 12:27
If he is only doing 13 miles per day on a bike, no wonder he is starting the trail in December. He'll be lucky to make it to Katahdin by Oct. 15th, if at all.

I can't wait to see Dakota Joe on "Beyond Scared Straight: Keeping the dream alive in The Whites"

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 12:30
irst off Chinmusic thank you for your support. Please continue to support Joe, there is no reason not to! To be clear all of Joe's donations have been provided by sponsors and reputable businesses in exchange for advertising. Dakota joe and his team have never asked an individual person or private party for any type of donation or contribution at all. Ever. My remark was sarcasm directed at the gentleman who suggested Dakota Joe needs to really apologize and then ask for help. He wants no help.
I understand that you take hiking seriously around here. It's a way of life for you and a hobby, but it is still fun correct? Is there no room around here or tolerance for a guy that wants to experience nature and the elements, and crack jokes the whole way?
Dakota joe is a shameless self-promoter, notorious womanizer, arrogent, sometimes rude, sometimes funny, but always real dude, and has slept in as many jails as trails you have hiked.
He will yo-yo the Appalachian Trail with nothing but the gear on his back and $200 a month for food, in the middle of winter no cash. Although any donations or sponsorships he may acquire along his trip in the trail towns will be at his disposal if he needs anything.

Don't worry picture, video and constant updates will be provided via this thread and his facebook pages. I mean you guys think at some point he's going to be freezing to death in the rainy snow atop a cold mountain crying for his mommy right? Well, if that happens I can assure you we will be bringing you video.

KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 12:38
ChinMusic wants to warn DJ about wearing a hoodie while in Florida.

To be clear. I ( Murdock the Producer ) , NOT Dakota Joe!! Say that dude in the hoodie got what he deserved. Stand Yer Ground !!

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 12:40
If he is only doing 13 miles per day on a bike, no wonder he is starting the trail in December. He'll be lucky to make it to Katahdin by Oct. 15th, if at all.

I can't wait to see Dakota Joe on "Beyond Scared Straight: Keeping the dream alive in The Whites"

The reason it started off as slow going is that Dakolta had immediate family fall severely ill. He stopped for a week. This is all discussed on his facebook page. But from now on all updates will be posted here as well.

If you cant wait to see him on Scared straight check the A & E catagory OnDemand.

max patch
11-14-2013, 12:41
Why is it necessary to criticize DJ for "only" biking 13 miles a day?

I'll point out the obvious that DJ is biking 350 miles to AFSP where he will start a thru hike in the most inhospitable weather conditions.

While those criticizing him are sitting on their fat azzes in their lazy boy chairs with the thermostat set to 72 sucking on a beer with one hand down their pants like Al Bundy in Married With Children.

Who really should be criticized?

HikerMom58
11-14-2013, 12:42
To be clear. I ( Murdock the Producer ) , NOT Dakota Joe!! Say that dude in the hoodie got what he deserved. Stand Yer Ground !!

Yer Ground may not hold you for very long.... jus sayin.

FooFighter'12
11-14-2013, 12:52
The reason it started off as slow going is that Dakolta had immediate family fall severely ill. He stopped for a week. This is all discussed on his facebook page. But from now on all updates will be posted here as well.

If you cant wait to see him on Scared straight check the A & E catagory OnDemand.

I watched it, kind of amusing.

But for real, how long is Dakota Joe expecting his Yo-Yo to take? One year, two years, etc. Does he have a plan for when his gear breaks? What is the temp rating on his sleeping bag? We can give him a hard time, but nobody wants to see him in a life and death situation.

Two Speed
11-14-2013, 13:53
. . . Stand Yer Ground !!Can we say "troll," boys and girls?

Last Call
11-14-2013, 14:01
Where is the compassion for this mis-guided soul? After all, he IS attempting a yo-yo thru hike on the AT; isn't that what its all about?

aficion
11-14-2013, 14:12

Whoah. Hold on there cowboy! What's the Rambo knife for?

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 14:22
Can we say "troll," boys and girls?

Absolutely not a troll. And absolutely believe in Stand Your Ground rights and that Zimmerman is a hero. Hows that??

FooFighter I will be posting answers to your questions and more after tonights interview with Joe. Please feel free to continue asking. Or come harass us at...

http://facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe

Team Dakota Joe
11-14-2013, 14:25
Can we say "troll," boys and girls?

Absolutely not a troll. And absolutely believe in Stand Your Ground rights and that Zimmerman is a hero. Hows that??

FooFighter I will be posting answers to your questions and more after tonights interview with Joe. Please feel free to continue asking. Or come harass us at...

http://facebook.com/theadventuresofdakotajoe

LastCall,, UDAMAN

ChinMusic
11-14-2013, 15:25
Whoah. Hold on there cowboy!

Wild Cowboy?

coach lou
11-14-2013, 15:41
DJ...that's crazy to carry a backpack while cycling. Get some panniers, much better24859

full conditions
11-14-2013, 15:54
Feels pretty trollish to me.

Coffee
11-14-2013, 16:20
What's the old saying - all publicity is good publicity? Or something like that. Dakota Joe is obviously going for fame and fortune in the reality show world. And actually, it is not a bad plan and probably his best opportunity among limited prospects.

I'd actually wish him well if he makes good on his earlier promise to clean up the graffiti and drops the political double talk.

WingedMonkey
11-14-2013, 16:29
As I stated last year when this circus attempted to get off the ground. You folks are just adding to his face book hits and numbers.

Probably the first time I've been embarrassed to be a Florida Cracker, which luckily he is not.

FooFighter'12
11-14-2013, 16:43
Feels pretty trollish to me.

Apparantly trying to increase Facebook traffic by the number of times the link has been posted. Team Dakota, many of us do not have Facebook. I would be more willing to follow the journey if he had a journal of some sort. I know the Facebook page is public but I tend to stay away from the site. A journal would be much more entertaining.

There was one person that provided so much inspiration on my thru. He was a former convict and many did not like his personality. He was a lot to handle but had an incredible connection to God. He could interpret scripture in a way that made sense to me, something no preacher I have ever listened to could do. He dropped off at SNP for financial reasons but the things he told me stuck with me. I was dealing with Lyme's disease near the end of my thru and had a deadline to reach Katahdin but I was behind. His words picked me up and motivated me to knock out 41 miles in one day in the 100 mile wilderness and make it on time. The reason I say this is that one shouldn't be judged on their past but their character. I hope this time around DJ has a positive influence on those around him.

Blue Mountain Edward
11-15-2013, 00:51
I just watched Beyond scared straight on A&E and now dislike Dakota Joe.They let him talk to the kids and he is a petty criminal. Says he kicked in the door of a church and stole all the money and now the homeless people will have nothing to eat. They call me Dakota Joe and I am the coolest guy in jail. And people are giving this creep supplies and money.

Rasty
11-15-2013, 08:45
As I stated last year when this circus attempted to get off the ground. You folks are just adding to his face book hits and numbers.

Probably the first time I've been embarrassed to be a Florida Cracker, which luckily he is not.

I am so happy to not be involved with facebook. My bet is he won't make it to North Carolina before 2015 with time off for good behavior.

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 09:20
I love white blaze and (facebook) for threads like this... it keeps you in-the-know. Even if you'd rather not "know", you will "know".:p
In this case, inquiring minds want to know this stuff.... interesting.. very interesting.

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 09:21
whats facebook?

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 09:27
whats facebook?

It's for the cool kids.. no worries HB. :D

Coffee
11-15-2013, 09:27
whats facebook?
Facebook is a computer virus.

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 09:43

Hey now, don't knock till you've tried it. The hiking FB pages are pretty awesome! AND they have a "like" button. :cool: You would be surprised how many people you are "talking" 2 on hiking FB pages, then, you are like... hey, are u on WB? I think I "know" you.. lol

If you really want to be cool... hang out on the reddit Appalachian Trail forum. That place is cool but it makes my head hurt.

Astro
11-15-2013, 10:10
whats facebook?

Good for you HB. fb is something that can suck up all your time (if you let it) sort of like WB, but it is not near as informative.

Coffee
11-15-2013, 10:18
Hey now, don't knock till you've tried it. The hiking FB pages are pretty awesome! AND they have a "like" button. :cool: You would be surprised how many people you are "talking" 2 on hiking FB pages, then, you are like... hey, are u on WB? I think I "know" you.. lol

If you really want to be cool... hang out on the reddit Appalachian Trail forum. That place is cool but it makes my head hurt.

Facebook is fine for those whose life is an open book and are ok with leaving a record of their life in realtime for use by corporations and God knows who else to monitor for all kinds of reasons. I think that people will look back in time with horror regarding what they have done, especially young people. I have a FB account connected to certain people close to me who insist on not communicating in other forms but I have no timeline and never post or "like" anything. Oh, and I always log out of facebook after I look at it because if you stay logged in, Mr. Zuckerberg can track all of your movements across the internet.

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 10:33

If you really want to be cool... hang out on the reddit Appalachian Trail forum. That place is cool but it makes my head hurt. I don't want to be cool

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 10:43
Facebook is fine for those whose life is an open book and are ok with leaving a record of their life in realtime for use by corporations and God knows who else to monitor for all kinds of reasons. I think that people will look back in time with horror regarding what they have done, especially young people. I have a FB account connected to certain people close to me who insist on not communicating in other forms but I have no timeline and never post or "like" anything. Oh, and I always log out of facebook after I look at it because if you stay logged in, Mr. Zuckerberg can track all of your movements across the internet.

Fair enough RamblingHiker... that's cool! :)

I don't want to be cool

I know, I know... that's exactly why I said it!! ;)

Really tho, y'all should check out the reddit Appalachian Trail forum. I've not joined but you can see what others are saying on there, just like on WB, without joining. It's crazy stuff.... just don't get sucked into the internet vortex. :o

WingedMonkey
11-15-2013, 11:18

If you use Firefox there is an add-on that stops Face-Snope from tracking you on other sites.

Facebook Disconnect 2.1.3

CB1821
11-15-2013, 11:24
What's the old saying - all publicity is good publicity? Or something like that. Dakota Joe is obviously going for fame and fortune in the reality show world. And actually, it is not a bad plan and probably his best opportunity among limited prospects.

That idea makes this more interesting, otherwise it is just a plain con job.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2013, 11:35
Where is the compassion for this (DJ) mis-guided soul? ...

... Say that dude in the hoodie got what he deserved. ...

Anyone else see the irony in this exchange?

Sly
11-15-2013, 13:43
Dakota Joe on the AT

Slo-go'en
11-15-2013, 13:49
This thread is like a bad car wreck. You know you shouldn't look, but you do anyway...

magneto
11-15-2013, 13:52
Could be in a Bryson novel...

Sly
11-15-2013, 14:08
This thread is like a bad car wreck. You know you shouldn't look, but you do anyway...

I suppose that's what happens when you have a complete rookie backpacker fugitive announce a Triple Crown YoYo with a dedicated Facebook page, bong making, gansta-style YouTube videos, disrespect and tear up one of America's iconic treasures, only to get arrested and extradited and show up on reality TV.

jj2044
11-15-2013, 14:37
I suppose that's what happens when you have a complete rookie backpacker fugitive announce a Triple Crown YoYo with a dedicated Facebook page, bong making, gansta-style YouTube videos, disrespect and tear up one of America's iconic treasures, only to get arrested and extradited and show up on reality TV. HAHAHAHA, that's a pretty good summary

Odd Man Out
11-15-2013, 14:38
... disrespect and tear up one of America's iconic treasures...

Being a little harsh here? These were small, unfortunate, trivial mistakes that may or may not have occured and were just the result of inexperiance and over enthusiasm.

Rasty
11-15-2013, 15:08
I don't want to be cool

Don't worry. There's no danger of that happening! :eek:

Rasty
11-15-2013, 15:09
I suppose that's what happens when you have a complete rookie backpacker fugitive announce a Triple Crown YoYo with a dedicated Facebook page, bong making, gansta-style YouTube videos, disrespect and tear up one of America's iconic treasures, only to get arrested and extradited and show up on reality TV.

Well when you put it all together he sounds alright.

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 15:32

Ahhh ha ha!! He'd rather die!! Now, popular? Yeah, that's his thang. ;)

I like facebook. I think this thread should be all about facebook! :D

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 15:33
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Sly http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1817408#post1817408)

Maybe he can sell movie rights. I'd be more tempted to watch The "Dakota Joe Movie" than "Wild" or "A Walk in the Woods". Everyone loves a good train wreck ;)

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 15:35

Ahhh ha ha!! He'd rather die!! Now, popular? Yeah, that's his thang. ;)

I like facebook. I think this thread should be all about facebook! :Dthere is already a thread about Facebook. its called how do you feel about Facebook

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78265-how-do-you-feel-about-facebook

Sly
11-15-2013, 16:33
Being a little harsh here? These were small, unfortunate, trivial mistakes that may or may not have occured and were just the result of inexperiance and over enthusiasm.

Mistakes are unintentional, defacing property, which isn't trivial, isn't.

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 16:57
Dakota Joe on the AT

I, Hatchet Jack, Being of sound mind and Broke legs, leave My Hawkin to whoever finds me, lord hope it be a white man,
It is a good rifle, and killed the bear that killed me

from jeremiah johnson

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 17:38
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Sly http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1817403#post1817403)
Dakota Joe on the AT

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24868&d=1384537411&thumb=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=24868&d=1384537411)

I, Hatchet Jack, Being of sound mind and Broke legs, leave My Hawkin to whoever finds me, lord hope it be a white man,
It is a good rifle, and killed the bear that killed me

from jeremiah johnson

"Oppan Snowman Style"
from Dakota Joe

Trebor66
11-15-2013, 17:59
24874. Dakota Joe the snowman what a jolly and happy soul - With a home made pipe an a big ego - And two eyes made out of coal......

Malto
11-15-2013, 18:02

I was thinking the exact same thing.

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 18:13
Maybe he can sell movie rights. I'd be more tempted to watch The "Dakota Joe Movie" than "Wild" or "A Walk in the Woods". Everyone loves a good train wreck ;)

Tell me it isn't so. Tell me this is not our Joe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MAiJeEKHMvg https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MAiJeEKHMvg

Trebor66
11-15-2013, 18:19
That ain't our Joe

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 18:26
Do you think Joe will go to Joe to go? Do you know?

ChinMusic
11-15-2013, 18:28
The only way this guy gets to Culvers Gap is by bus

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 18:30

Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!! I do remember that thread! Woot!

bfayer
11-15-2013, 18:41

I would pay to watch that video :)

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 18:48
Well, one thing you gotta say for the guy, he's persistent. Most of the ones who come on here to make some grand announcement, fail and usually slink off never to be heard from again.

Could make for an interesting winter for all us cyber hikers, anyway :)

Sarcasm the elf
11-15-2013, 19:16
Alright, so this thread has predictably devolved from discussing this guy's prior actions to just ripping on him. Why waste time with the negativity?
Either he doesnt make it and the story goes away, or he does make it and he proves us all wrong (at which point most of us will probably congratulate him, i know I would.)

If i want to read comments from members telling hikers that they'll never make it then I'll just search the archives for Minnesota Smith.

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 19:29
Alright, so this thread has predictably devolved from discussing this guy's prior actions to just ripping on him. Why waste time with the negativity?
Either he doesnt make it and the story goes away, or he does make it and he proves us all wrong (at which point most of us will probably congratulate him, i know I would.)

If i want to read comments from members telling hikers that they'll never make it then I'll just search the archives for Minnesota Smith.
really, elf.why waste time?? seriously? what do you think we're all doing here? why not just suck all the life out of the thread?
now, back to topic:
he'll never make it.

Rasty
11-15-2013, 19:34
really, elf.why waste time?? seriously? what do you think we're all doing here? why not just suck all the life out of the thread?
now, back to topic:
he'll never make it.

Elf is just scared this guy will be in Connecticut some time in 2016 or 2017 depending on jailblazes.

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 19:39
http://sites.psu.edu/kqb5138/files/2013/09/get-out-of-jail-free-card.jpg (http://sites.psu.edu/kqb5138/files/2013/09/get-out-of-jail-free-card.jpg) If Joe makes it I'll send him one of these. But that free part might have something to do with time served.

Sarcasm the elf
11-15-2013, 19:52
now, back to topic:
he'll never make it.

Oh, I'm good with the time wasting part. It was the part about ripping on people we've never met that gets old fast.

Well except for rasty, I've never met him but I think he'd be okay with it if I made fun of him.

Rasty
11-15-2013, 19:54
Oh, I'm good with the time wasting part. It was the part about ripping on people we've never met that gets old fast. Well except for rasty, I've never met him but I think he'd be okay with it if I made fun of him.

Give it your best shot elfy!

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 20:00
Oh, I'm good with the time wasting part. It was the part about ripping on people we've never met that gets old fast.

Well except for rasty, I've never met him but I think he'd be okay with it if I made fun of him.
outside of a dozen or so, most of us have never met

Sarcasm the elf
11-15-2013, 20:09

I suspect that many more if us have met on the trail than we realize. "Are you on Whiteblaze?" isnt often the first thing i say when crossing paths with another hiker.:rolleyes:

Rasty
11-15-2013, 20:11
I suspect that many more if us have met on the trail than we realize. "Are you on Whiteblaze?" isnt often the first thing i say when crossing paths with another hiker.:rolleyes:

My first question is "Are you Dakota Joe?"

Train Wreck
11-15-2013, 20:12

I thought the proper introduction was "What's your post count"

Sly
11-15-2013, 20:17
It was the part about ripping on people we've never met that gets old fast.

Maybe you're not up to speed. Thanks to self-promotion and the wonders of the internet, it's not like we don't know Joe.

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 20:17

I suspect that many more if us have met on the trail than we realize. "Are you on Whiteblaze?" isnt often the first thing i say when crossing paths with another hiker.:rolleyes: prove it. .

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 20:25
I don't think we're ripping as much as we are teasing. According to the team he really doesn't care. By the way where is the team. He should have been here by now plugging the facebook page with a quick link. Team Joe - where are you dude?

bfayer
11-15-2013, 20:29

I get your point, but we are not ripping on someone we have never met, we are ripping on someone who has a history on the AT of defacing public property and of posting the following:

"As for the the danger factor of an ill prepared winter hike. Thats where the fun is"
”has slept in as many jails as trails you have hiked”
"I find the attitude here amusing and cant wait to align myself with you super cool guys"
"Dakota Joe is a real man, and no cold front is gonna delay his walk in the woods."

Both of those issues kind of make him fair game, and not much I have seen in this thread is out of proportion to "Team Dakota Joe"'s posts.

You know much better than I that the folks on here are about the least vicious folks on the internet, and most on here would go way out of their way to help a sincere hiker in need. All this guy needs to do is get the chip off his shoulder and all the negativity would go away, and most of the folks would be cheering him on, and many would probably offer him help along the way.

HikerMom58
11-15-2013, 20:33

Elfie?? Wow Rasty is really getting cozy with everyone on here. :p

But seriously Elfie, I ask hikers I meet... First, "What's your trail name?" Second, "Are you on Whiteblaze?" The only exception to that was when I met Ditto and Zippy. Ditto started talking about a thread, that I had read on WB, before I could ask the question. I couldn't believe it... OMGOSH!!

aficion
11-15-2013, 20:34
I get your point, but we are not ripping on someone we have never met, we are ripping on someone who has a history on the AT of defacing public property
You know much better than I that the folks on here are about the least vicious folks on the internet, and most on here would go way out of their way to help a sincere hiker in need. All this guy needs to do is get the chip off his shoulder and all the negativity would go away, and most of the folks would be cheering him on, and many would probably offer him help along the way.

I'll help him pick up garbage along the trail. Hell, I'll even tell him where to put it.:)

hikerboy57
11-15-2013, 20:42
hikerboy would help him

aficion
11-15-2013, 20:43
hikerboy would help him

Aficion think.... hikerboy cool.

ChinMusic
11-15-2013, 20:45
ChinMusic thinks Joe will leave the site and acuse us of bullying..........

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 20:46
Elfie?? Wow Rasty is really getting cozy with everyone on here. :p

But seriously Elfie, I ask hikers I meet... First, "What's your trail name?" Second, "Are you on Whiteblaze?" The only exception to that was when I met Ditto and Zippy. Ditto started talking about a thread, that I had read on WB, before I could ask the question. I couldn't believe it... OMGOSH!!

When do you ask about the post count?

aficion
11-15-2013, 20:46

Maybe we'll get to be in a movie.

Rasty
11-15-2013, 20:48

Big meanie.....

atmilkman
11-15-2013, 20:52

Let me guess - you used to play football for the Dolphins.

ChinMusic
11-15-2013, 20:53
Let me guess - you used to play football for the Dolphins.

That would be Intentnito..........