PDA

View Full Version : Water Availability in GSMNP

Jagger
09-23-2013, 16:39
I am hiking from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap beginning in a couple of days ( Sept 27, 2013 ) and wondered if anyone could give me an accurate update on water availability along this section of the AT? I have heard it's been very wet and all the springs are running, but I also heard that a couple of springs around the shelters are dry? We are staying at the following shelters: Mollies Ridge, Derricks Knob, Mt. Collins, Pecks, and Cosby Knob. Thanks in advance for any updates.

TNhiker
09-23-2013, 16:42
while i havent been up on the AT in the Park this year---i havent heard of any water problems...

the area just got another soaking on saturday, so i think that would add to the water table....

HooKooDooKu
09-23-2013, 17:27
The park got a 1" to 2" soaking Saturday (how do I know? I was in the middle of it). Made for some powerful water falls Sunday (wished I had gotten a before and after shot of Grotto Falls).

That combined with the wet summer GSMNP already had means water will not be an issue in GSMNP for the near future.

About the only negative I've heard regarding any of the springs at the shelters is that pigs have made a mess of a couple of them... but otherwise water will be flowing.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2013, 19:48
When there is water shortage the park service will post it on the boards at the trailheads usually. Not real in depth or descriptive, but general. You should read the boards before you start.

daddytwosticks
09-24-2013, 07:23
The park got a 1" to 2" soaking Saturday (how do I know? I was in the middle of it). Made for some powerful water falls Sunday (wished I had gotten a before and after shot of Grotto Falls).

That combined with the wet summer GSMNP already had means water will not be an issue in GSMNP for the near future.

About the only negative I've heard regarding any of the springs at the shelters is that pigs have made a mess of a couple of them... but otherwise water will be flowing.
Durring my Labor Day weekend hike, the water source at Siler's Bald shelter was a muddy mess and very low flow. It looked like it was all muddied up by animals and hikers. :)