PDA

View Full Version : Recommended 4 day/3 night hike in the Smokies

tucker0104
09-23-2013, 17:43
Anyone have a recommended 3 night or 2 night hike in the smokies. Doesn't have to be a loop trail.

TNhiker
09-23-2013, 17:47
lakeshore trail----from tunnel to dam......or to hazel creek.....

Squid FC
09-23-2013, 18:09
I've been trying to answer this same question for myself. I'm planning a trip for the end of Oct. Most recommendations have been start somewhere near Newfound Gap or Clingmans and end up at Fontana Dam. Another one that I'm seriously considering is start at LeConte and finish in Cosby.

Many Moons
09-23-2013, 18:18
Book early if you plan on using AT. The shelters on have 12 slots and they are full for most of October on the weekends. I stayed up at 2am for the server to let me book 30 days out to book the shelters. The nortern half of Smokies are full on 3rd weekend in October. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Anyone have a recommended 3 night or 2 night hike in the smokies. Doesn't have to be a loop trail.

HooKooDooKu
09-23-2013, 18:49
What kind of mileage are you looking for?

In the mean time, I'll toss out this suggestion:
Day 1: Park at Cades Cove visitor's center. Walk the road (of fields) to Abram's Falls Trail. After visiting Abrams Falls, continue to campsite #17 (or #1).
Day 2: Hike to Hannah Mountain's campsite #14. You can go from Abram's Falls Trail or Rabbit Creek after hiking through the currently closed Abrams Creek Campgrounds.
Day 3: Hike to Gregory Bald Trail and camp at #13. Get water from the water source on your way up and eat dinner at the Bald.
Day 4: Hike down Gregory Ridge Trail and walk the Forge Creek gravel road back to the Cades Cove visitor's center.

HooKooDooKu
09-23-2013, 18:57
Another three night hike I think I've suggested before:
Day 1: Start at Big Creek, hike to Chestnut branch to AT to Mt Cammerer fire tower to Cosby Knob.
Day 2: Hike to Tricorner Knob, taking an off-trail foray to find the marker on top of Mt Guyot.
Day 3: Balsam Mt to Mount Sterling Ridge Trail staying at #38 where you can climb the 60' fire tower.
Day 4: Down Baxter Creek
(Do the hike in reverse and you can get your water for #38 on your way up Baxter Creek).

tucker0104
09-24-2013, 14:44
Probably looking for 10-12 miles a day. Good thing about working shift work is I can go hiking when everyone else is working.

Violent Green
09-24-2013, 19:31
Another three night hike I think I've suggested before:
Day 1: Start at Big Creek, hike to Chestnut branch to AT to Mt Cammerer fire tower to Cosby Knob.
Day 2: Hike to Tricorner Knob, taking an off-trail foray to find the marker on top of Mt Guyot.
Day 3: Balsam Mt to Mount Sterling Ridge Trail staying at #38 where you can climb the 60' fire tower.
Day 4: Down Baxter Creek
(Do the hike in reverse and you can get your water for #38 on your way up Baxter Creek).

This loop is fantastic(although easily done in 3 days instead of 4 days). Two fire towers, miles and miles above 5,000ft, in the Spruce-Fir zone, etc. Great views. You will not be sorry with this one.

Ryan

tucker0104
09-25-2013, 13:38
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. Hope to see you out there next week.

tucker0104
09-25-2013, 14:23
Is the benton McKaye trail pretty?

Gambit McCrae
09-25-2013, 14:46
Benton McKaye trail, I have done about 75 miles on it both in GA as well as GSMNP, my friend thru hiked it this year. It is not spectacular, low populations and the lakeshore trail is like a mini rollercoaster. I would stick to newfound gap and heading north to park boarder

Drybones
09-25-2013, 16:27
I'd recommend the Foothills Trail over the Smokies.