PDA

View Full Version : Doing short sections after doing long section :/

Transient Being
09-24-2013, 15:39
I haven't hiked in over a year. Last time I went I knocked out 700 miles and it was an amazing trip! I've been a little reluctant to go back and do a short section because I think it would be lame compared to long distance hiking now. Plus, it's a 12 hour drive to get back to where I left off. I live near the florida border and would need to get back to Harpers Ferry to pick up where I left off. I suppose I could just do some sections I've already done, or maybe do some side trails. I really want to get back out there, but going for 7 days after doing 2 months last time seems like it would be a little disappointing. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe what I'm trying to ask is would I be better off waiting and planning another long hike or just go ahead and do the short hike for now while I can.

Ktaadn
09-24-2013, 15:41
It seems like you are saying that if you hiked the longest trail in the world (whatever that is), you would never hike again because anything shorter would be lame?

If all you have is one week, then make the most of it.

RED-DOG
09-24-2013, 15:46
I haven't hiked in over a year. Last time I went I knocked out 700 miles and it was an amazing trip! I've been a little reluctant to go back and do a short section because I think it would be lame compared to long distance hiking now. Plus, it's a 12 hour drive to get back to where I left off. I live near the florida border and would need to get back to Harpers Ferry to pick up where I left off. I suppose I could just do some sections I've already done, or maybe do some side trails. I really want to get back out there, but going for 7 days after doing 2 months last time seems like it would be a little disappointing. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe what I'm trying to ask is would I be better off waiting and planning another long hike or just go ahead and do the short hike for now while I can.

Sounds like you need to start planning a Thru-Hike?.

yellowsirocco
09-24-2013, 15:54
Don't try to pick up where you left off. It is stupid to drive that far for that short of a hike. Go and redo Georgia or something and enjoy yourself. On long hikes you end up focused on crossing the country, but on shorter ones it is good to chill out.

FarmerChef
09-24-2013, 16:41
Don't try to pick up where you left off. It is stupid to drive that far for that short of a hike. Go and redo Georgia or something and enjoy yourself. On long hikes you end up focused on crossing the country, but on shorter ones it is good to chill out.

I agree. Making gargantuan drives for only a week at a time can be maddening. Why not enjoy some of the trail that's closer to you like the FT or some of the other trails near Georgia (but not necessarily the AT - there's other great sections out there)?

Transient Being
09-24-2013, 16:51
Thanks guys, sounds like good advice. I didn't really mean to say hiking a section hike is lame. I don't think that at all. Mainly just trying to have a little discussion of the merits of section hiking after having a taste of long distance hiking, which turns into more of a lifestyle than a vacation. Kinda hard to re-create the experience of a two month hike in 7 days. I don't guess it's supposed to. I'll probably do some hiking around NC, I've done alot of GA hiking....some parts three times already.

rmitchell
09-24-2013, 20:26
There are 900 miles of trails in the Smokies.

Blissful
09-24-2013, 20:43
I think any day on the AT, short or long, is well worth it. Best thing to do is don't psych yourself out. Sometimes we just do too much thinking rather than doing. :)

hikerboy57
09-24-2013, 20:47
you're right about not being able to duplicate life on the trail ld vs. a short hike. but i try not to do short sections of the at itself, prefer finding challenging sections that will test me a bit, rather than look for an experience i can never duplicate.2 entirely different types of hikes.for me its the whites and maine. ive done most of the most challenging trails in the northeast, and can do them again without getting bored. its tough to even match your mpd on a week long hike vs being out thre for few months.you finally get your trail legs.and then go home.

flemdawg1
09-25-2013, 11:06
There are lots of other trails besides the AT.

Transient Being
09-25-2013, 11:10
all good advice. thanks. I like what blis said, too much thinking rather than doing. That pretty much sums up my entire existence, lol. I did the same thing last time about what started out being a one month hike. The doing sure was alot more fun than the thinking. Finally you just have to throw your stuff in your pack and go. probably do some smokies trails like rmitchell suggested. Anything in particular I should check out?

Transient Being
09-25-2013, 11:14
There are lots of other trails besides the AT.

Any suggestions. I've heard a little about the BMK trail. I actually like running into people though. I hiked in December one year and didn't see a soul for 3 days almost. That was a little too quiet for me.

TheYoungOne
09-25-2013, 17:06
There are lots of other trails besides the AT. +1 personally if I was in FL, instead of going beyond harpers ferry WV and doing a short hike on the AT and coming home, why not fly out to CA and do the some or all of the John Muir trail. That is 215 miles of something completely different and not lame.

MuddyWaters
09-25-2013, 18:46
Plus, it's a 12 hour drive to get back to where I left off.

But its probably only a 1.5 hr flight.

kayak karl
09-25-2013, 19:00
if only a week do linville gorge. hikings hiking, AT or not :)

hikerboy57
09-25-2013, 19:06
Any suggestions. I've heard a little about the BMK trail. I actually like running into people though. I hiked in December one year and didn't see a soul for 3 days almost. That was a little too quiet for me.

most places you hike in december you're not gonna run into too many people.

susiecruise
09-25-2013, 20:08

Why don't you try some where totally new. Try a week in Canyonlands. It is vast, beautiful, very unlike the eastern woods, very special, try other places, hike, take a picnic, .................

Transient Being
09-25-2013, 20:19
John Muir def on to do list. Unless i can get some kinda last minute deals, looks like round trip tickets from Atlanta are gonna be $1K....maybe next trip.
Linville gorge looks pretty sweet. Good chance ill end up there. Was thinking of leaving as early as tomorrow, but may wait a little longer for some cool weather and fall leaves.

susiecruise
09-25-2013, 20:25
sounds like you just need to get out. It's a beautiful time of year! Everyone, GET OUT!!!!!!!