PDA

View Full Version : Central VA Section Hike Help Needed

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2013, 18:48
Hello all!

Two friends and I are hiking from Swift Run Gap in Shenandoah NP southbound in the beginning of November. We plan to end up around

A few questions...
We will be driving from Baltimore to SNP on Thursday, Oct 31. Starting on the trail SOBO that Friday morning. Is there a cheap hotel or hostel we could stay at that night? Also looking for a place to leave our car for the week. The closer to Swift Run Gap, the better.

We are also looking for a shuttle from our end point (which could change by a few miles) on Friday November 8 back to our car near Swift Run Gap.

Any and all help is appreciated... Thank You!

johnnybgood
09-24-2013, 20:02
If your end up destination is near Buena Vista, call Deer Hunter. He's a Whiteblaze member. Misty Mountain Motel, 2 miles west of Swift Run toward Elkton is both close and cheap. Motel owner Bob may also help with car storage and he also shuttles hikers to the gap.

johnnybgood
09-24-2013, 20:16
If your end up destination is near Buena Vista, call Deer Hunter. He's a Whiteblaze member. Country View Motel, 2 miles west of Swift Run toward Elkton is both close and cheap. Motel owner Bob may also help with car storage and he also shuttles hikers to the gap.

Blue Ridge Country Store & Deli, a quarter mile down the road also is a place to pick up last minute foodie stuff. Owner Michael Betts is hiker friendly.

johnnybgood
09-24-2013, 20:25
. Misty Mountain Motel.

It Is the Country View Motel that I speak of . :)

Deer Hunter
09-24-2013, 20:41
If your end up destination is near Buena Vista, call Deer Hunter. He's a Whiteblaze member. Misty Mountain Motel, 2 miles west of Swift Run toward Elkton is both close and cheap. Motel owner Bob may also help with car storage and he also shuttles hikers to the gap.

Misty Mountain Motel has shut down. There is one across the road from it called COUNTRY VIEW MOTEL. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. Nothing fancy but it only cost me $50. The owner is a real nice guy. The store Johnny mentioned is pretty good. Opens up early. I got a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit and coffee if I rememebr right. I can't commit to a shuttle during that time frame right now. Might be switching jobs soon.

Edit: Was in the middle of fixing supper when I started my reply. Didn't see your correction before I posted Johnny.

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2013, 20:44
Thanks J! Country View looks perfect.

We plan on ending at the trailhead at rt 60. This looks pretty close to Buena Vista?

Thanks for all of your help!

Deer Hunter
09-24-2013, 20:45
Thanks J! Country View looks perfect.

We plan on ending at the trailhead at rt 60. This looks pretty close to Buena Vista?

Thanks for all of your help!

Yeah, it is about 8 or 9 miles.

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2013, 20:48
Misty Mountain Motel has shut down. There is one across the road from it called COUNTRY VIEW MOTEL. I stayed there a couple of weeks ago. Nothing fancy but it only cost me $50. The owner is a real nice guy. The store Johnny mentioned is pretty good. Opens up early. I got a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit and coffee if I rememebr right. I can't commit to a shuttle during that time frame right now. Might be switching jobs soon.

Edit: Was in the middle of fixing supper when I started my reply. Didn't see your correction before I posted Johnny.

Great info and thank you! Do you know if country view will let us leave our car there and/or shuttle us to the trailhead at swift run gap?

Deer hunter, I completely understand if you can't shuttle us... Do you know of anyone else in the area willing to shuttle? We would compensate them of course!

Deer Hunter
09-24-2013, 20:59
Great info and thank you! Do you know if country view will let us leave our car there and/or shuttle us to the trailhead at swift run gap?

Deer hunter, I completely understand if you can't shuttle us... Do you know of anyone else in the area willing to shuttle? We would compensate them of course!

Pretty sure the owner would let you park there. He was holding mail drops for some southbounders when I was there. I doubt he would shuttle. He is on oxygen all the time but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask. http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=12730337&stx=country+view+motel&csz=Elkton+VA

As far as a shuttle, Blue Dog Art Cafe (in Buena Vista) was doing some shuttles back in the summer but there may have been a stipulation that you stay there. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Dog-Art/165512310131359

I haven't used any of these but off of the ATC shuttle list:

Buddy Johnson
Lexington, VA
(540) 464-1281
(540) 817-9168
[email protected] ([email protected])
Bearwallow Gap to Rockfish Gap, possibly further. Five to seven days notice preferred. Also work at outfitter in Lexington, Va. A.T. 2,000-miler 1992-2002.

Gary Serra Buena Vista, VA (757)-681-2254
[email protected] ([email protected]) Points north and south of Rt. 501/James River footbridge

Robert M. Bird
Rockbridge Taxi Service
Buena Vista, VA
(540) 261-7733
(540) 261-8816 8 pm – 12 am best time to call to arrange pick-up.
Rate locally $2/mile. $50 to Staunton, $70 to Roanoke, $90 to Charlottesville, $275 to DC. Prefer 24 hours notice. Can carry 2 or 3 hikers with packs; more without packs.

Earl and Lois Arnold
Montebello, VA
(540) 377-2119
Rockfish Gap to James River
Also operate B&B; Free lunch for thru-hikers, 11-1, May to June.

Pam Bennett
Fishersville, VA
(540) 447-6882
Available early mornings, evenings and weekends. Willing to travel a radius of 100 miles in any direction from
Waynesboro (Rockfish Gap) for shuttle service when available. Plenty of
advance notice advised and appreciated. Dogs welcome. Participates in the Waynesboro volunteer local shuttle network.

Greg Bruno
Waynesboro, VA
(540) 949-0770
www.trailangel.org (http://www.trailangel.org/)
Available any day for shuttles within 100 miles of Waynesboro, VA. Free shuttles between Rockfish Gap and Waynesboro. Four-wheel drive SUV can comfortably transport up to 3 hikers and packs.

Joan Byrne
Waynesboro, VA
(224) 628-3517
Shuttles for A.T. hikers; call for details

Downhill Trucker
09-24-2013, 21:03
You folks are awesome!!!! Many thanks!!!

Downhill Trucker
10-22-2013, 12:55
Finalizing logistics for this trip in the next few days... Wish me luck!

Deer hunter... I wanted to send you a pm but your box is full.

aficion
10-22-2013, 13:17
You folks are awesome!!!! Many thanks!!!

Buddy in Lexington is a great guy and has sectioned the entire AT. I highly recommend him if available.

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 13:21
Finalizing logistics for this trip in the next few days... Wish me luck!

Deer hunter... I wanted to send you a pm but your box is full.

Try again, it should go through now. :)

HikerMom58
10-22-2013, 13:30
Buddy in Lexington is a great guy and has sectioned the entire AT. I highly recommend him if available.

Good to know aficion! :) Is there any way DH, you and I can meet up sometime. DH and I never had a chance to meet you yet.

Try again, it should go through now. :)

Well, check that out... DH is a GOLD member now!! Hummm... Pretty impressive!!

aficion
10-22-2013, 13:43
Good to know aficion! :) Is there any way DH, you and I can meet up sometime. DH and I never had a chance to meet you yet.

I'll meet you both at Ottie's at midnight on Halloween.:eek:

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 14:26

Yes, we need to get together.

More storage space. I was thinking about upgrading anyways thanks to JB's post.

Deer Hunter
10-22-2013, 14:33
I'll meet you both at Ottie's at midnight on Halloween.:eek:

Shmaybix might get scared.