PDA

View Full Version : Food items you abo****ely can't be without on a long hike.

Different Socks
09-24-2013, 20:32
For those of us that still do food drops, I would like to know what one or 2 or even 3 things must be absolutely in each food drop. Essential to the point that it is the first thing out of the box and you eat it right at that moment if you can or the first night back on the trail.
For me essential food items would be

--rice crispie treats eaten right out of the box.
--Lipton/Knorr Cheddar Broccoli
--brownies/cupcakes/muffins to bake on the trail
--full container of PB M&M's/nuts/craisins/gummy bears
--cans of sardines
--Fastbreak candybars

My absolute list! What's yours?

Different Socks
09-24-2013, 20:34
For those of us that still do food drops, I would like to know what one or 2 or even 3 things must be absolutely in each food drop. Essential to the point that it is the first thing out of the box and you eat it right at that moment if you can or the first night back on the trail.

--full container of PB M&M's/nuts/craisins/gummy bears
--cans of sardines
--Fastbreak candybars

OOPS! on the OP title!

Blissful
09-24-2013, 20:39

You bake brownies on the trail?!?

For me in a maildrop it's more essentials like my medicines and a roll of TP along with some standard trail food items I can't get in towns. Fun food items I want to eat right away I get in town, including something to drink besides water. That and a good meal.

hikerboy57
09-24-2013, 20:40
nido.
microwave bacon.
cashews.
lobster .
okay no lobster.

Different Socks
09-24-2013, 21:03
You bake brownies on the trail?!?

YEP! And I have them with frosting too. Also make nobake cheesecakes and PB pies/cookie and cream pies. Funny thing is that when I pull them out to make them, people around me look at me like I am nuts to carry it, but then they catch the aroma of the fresh baked goods and the begging begins!

Different Socks
09-24-2013, 21:04
nido.
microwave bacon.
cashews.
lobster .
okay no lobster.

What's a Nido?

Sandy of PA
09-24-2013, 21:56
Nido is powered whole milk. I crave banana chips and walnuts.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2013, 22:01
gummi bears

annamagpie
09-24-2013, 22:04
Well, it won't be next year til I hike it, but I am dehydrating like crazy because I plan on eating like a queen. But I'm gonna say, buffalo jerky (I'm from South Dakota), and maybe some nuun tablets for when I want a different flavor of water than..water.:banana(love this banana)

Marmaduke
09-25-2013, 09:28
Gatorade powder to spruce up any water that might taste a bit off........and lots of homemade beef jerky.

fredmugs
09-25-2013, 09:30
Nothing. I like to mix it up.

Double Wide
09-25-2013, 09:35
Jack Links Carne Seca spicy beef jerky. Holy cow that stuff is good!

max patch
09-25-2013, 10:06
Knob Creek cuz ya just can't find it everywhere.

Slo-go'en
09-25-2013, 10:22
Knob Creek cuz ya just can't find it everywhere.

Yep, while you can now get beer most places along the trail in NC, hard liqueur is still outlawed. There was a time, back in the dark ages, when you couldn't even buy a beer along the trail in North Carolina. I imagine the tourist trade in hikers and rafters changed that.

Anyway, Glazed honey buns are the only way I can get going in the morning...

Zippy Morocco
09-25-2013, 11:09
I can do without anything but I can't do without everything

However, I do enjoy Hot Tamales and Pringles

Transient Being
09-25-2013, 11:21
jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon.

tiptoe
09-25-2013, 11:34
I do a lot of dehydrating, and my maildrops would be sorely lacking if they didn't include my homemade muesli mix, an assortment of dried fruit and fruit rollups, and pesto. I also like to take Tang, though it's heavy, for a daily bottle of orange juice.

icemanat95
09-25-2013, 11:40
My thing was skittles. I had a pack of skittles per day along the trail during my thru. Made a big difference in my mood.

There is some water along the trail, or at least there was in 95, that tasted so off that Gatorade couldn't help. High Point NJ, the water was so sulfurous it was practically undrinkable. Ran it through the filter several times without significant effect. Hope that has changed.

I loved the Lipton /Knorr Broccoli and Cheese noodles. Much preferred to standard mac and cheese.

RED-DOG
09-25-2013, 12:49
These are in my food bag where ever I go, Tabasco Sauce, Black pepper, and Starbursts, Every thing else varies.

steve0423
09-25-2013, 20:54
Parmesan cheese and bacon jerky to help the noodles/rice, payday candy bars, and Fritos!!!
Do love me some Fritos!!
Would crunch them up, pour em in a gallon zip lock, then every day at lunch allow myself five minutes in the Frito bag with my long handle REI soup spoon
pure freaking heaven!!!!!!

map man
09-25-2013, 21:03
This is the stuff that I've taken on every backpacking trip:

Peanuts
Cashews
Clif Bars

SCRUB HIKER
09-25-2013, 21:23
Chocolate and cheese need to be in every resupply in some form. Everything else can come and go. Oreos and pepper jack cheese are my chocolate/cheese media of choice, respectively.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-25-2013, 22:36
Dark chocolate. The darker, the better. For some reason, I always find myself craving it. Even when I was in the military, I would trade meal items for the crappy chocolate brownie that used to come in MRE's. I would also use cocoa packets to make "Ranger Pudding." Now, every time I go out, I always bring enough to last me a couple of days. :p

Other than that, I love peppery jerkey and peanut butter.

lush242000
09-25-2013, 22:56
Pop tarts.
Slim Jims

Sent from somewhere.

mtnkngxt
09-26-2013, 14:12
Lara bars
Met-Rx Protein Bars
Coffee
Hot Chocolate
Rice sides
Tuna foil packs
Dried Fruits

Rolls Kanardly
09-26-2013, 14:49
Oh you betcha, muffins on the trail. Blueberry muffins or chocolate chip or ...... Tried them all in the back yard with my little stove and my little frying pan. Put it on very low and a little higher up than normal and so what if they get a little brown on the bottom. That just makes them crunchy. My wife thought I was nuts but she ate her share. Just tried a box of the Cornbread Muffin mix and those would be better as pancakes. "Roll.Kanardly"

Rolls Kanardly
09-26-2013, 14:54
Frosting, I did not think about frosting, until know that is. "Rolls"

Rolls Kanardly
09-26-2013, 14:57
Knob Creek cuz ya just can't find it everywhere. My grandfather would say." A man has no better friend, who gives him hundred proof."

Different Socks
09-26-2013, 15:03
Oh you betcha, muffins on the trail. Blueberry muffins or chocolate chip or ...... Tried them all in the back yard with my little stove and my little frying pan. Put it on very low and a little higher up than normal and so what if they get a little brown on the bottom. That just makes them crunchy. My wife thought I was nuts but she ate her share. Just tried a box of the Cornbread Muffin mix and those would be better as pancakes. "Roll.Kanardly"

Used an Outback Oven on the PCT/CDT and other trails. Made muffins, cornbread, cakes, brownies, pizza, lasagna and other things. Found out the hard, but delicious way that too much water to the brownies turns them into a cake. No matter! And I had frosting too! That extra 1 pound tub was worth it when dessert came--YUMMY!

Poedog
09-26-2013, 15:37
Chia seeds, nutritional yeast, hemp protein, shredded coconut, jerky, dehydrated beans, quinoa, steel cut oats, dried fruit, dehydrated ratatouille.

illabelle
09-26-2013, 16:37

I haven't used a backcountry oven, but I've added water to cornbread muffin mix and fried it like pancakes. Turned out pretty good, and it was a nice change. Next trip I'll try the same with blueberry muffin mix and see how it works. Feeling hopeful!

Theosus
09-26-2013, 19:18
Chocolate and cheese need to be in every resupply in some form. Everything else can come and go. Oreos and pepper jack cheese are my chocolate/cheese media of choice, respectively.

OMG oreos would be awesome. Lance make six oreo style "chic-o-lunch" cookies I would kill for after a week on the trail. writing this one down....

Sarcasm the elf
09-27-2013, 00:12
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/01/00/47/0003010047241_300X300.jpg

Nuff said.

ChinMusic
09-27-2013, 00:57
Diet Coke

aficion
09-27-2013, 06:22
Grits, cheese, hot sauce.

aficion
09-27-2013, 06:35
Parmesan cheese and bacon jerky to help the noodles/rice, payday candy bars, and Fritos!!!
Do love me some Fritos!!
Would crunch them up, pour em in a gallon zip lock, then every day at lunch allow myself five minutes in the Frito bag with my long handle REI soup spoon
pure freaking heaven!!!!!!

Them corn chips make fer good kindlin too.

Mrs Baggins
09-27-2013, 07:03
Day hiking: Snickers. Always. Usually little can of tuna salad, cheese, crackers.

Backpacking: Snickers, Knorr noodle side, foil pack of chicken, Nido (to make the noodles creamy), Nalgene bottle filled with red wine.

Sugarfoot
09-27-2013, 08:25
Can't believe this string has gone so long without mention of my favorite: Little Debbie Oatmeal Cakes! Even better if you can find the doubles, with three layers of cake and two of creme. 900 calories of goodness. Only found them once, at the Shell Station at Rural Retreat, VA. It is the Holy Grail of trail food and worth searching for.

double d
09-27-2013, 08:36
anything to add to plain old water-some kind of gator aid stuff to throw in there each time I re-fill. Other then that, depends if I want to cook that evening or not, so lots of dried stuff, either to cook or eat out of a zip lock.

Marta
09-27-2013, 09:09
Black licorice--Twizzlers, Godd and Plenties, Black Crows...

rocketsocks
09-27-2013, 10:26
24199 Don't leave home without em!

mcstick
09-27-2013, 11:02
Dried canberries. And gummy brears.

Aletheia.VA
09-27-2013, 15:45
Here's a few of my staples. Most of them are more expensive than candy bars and processed foods, but in the long run they make for a stronger, healthier body and more balanced mind. :)

Proteins and Fats:
--Chia Seeds (Omega-3 fats, minerals, fiber for long-lasting fullness; regulates blood sugar; multiple ways to eat it, easy to clean up; a little goes a long way in satiety)
--Hemp protein (Complete protein, Omega-3 fats, fiber for long-lasting fullness; simply add to coffee, hot chocolate, water, or juice, shake, and drink up!)
--Coconut flakes - dry, unsweetened (Contains healthy fats; iron, which is necessary for warding off feelings of fatigue; protein; fiber; zinc, which is necessary for the immune system and healing; simply sprinkle it on cereals, eat with chocolate, eat plain, sprinkle on any meals really!)
--Coconut oil (another option in conjunction to or separate from coconut flakes; all of the same benefits, but you can use the oil for anti-chafing, as a lip balm, as well as mix it with baking soda for a natural and effective anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial toothpaste)

Thermogenic, Healing Spices, and Teas:
--Turmeric Root ground (Anti-inflammatory--ditch the constant use of 'vitamin I' and use this multi-beneficial root instead; also good for relieving headaches, diarrhea, arthritis, infections, heartburn; sprinkle on meals, mix with warm water as a tea)
--Tulsi Leaf a.k.a. Holy Basil (use this for a common cold and fever, as well as coughs, sore throat; also used for insect bites applied as a 'paste' to the bites, leave on to dry; mix with hot water as a tea or add a little water to make a paste)
--Yerba Mate (use in lieu of coffee; packs quite a punch for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; buy loose leaf and steep in a reusable tea bag)

:)

English Stu
09-27-2013, 15:48
Different Socks,what is your baking set up i.e pots and stove. I am keen on baking logan bread,bannock, brownies on the trail.Sorry for the thread drift.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-27-2013, 15:49
Here's a few of my staples. Most of them are more expensive than candy bars and processed foods, but in the long run they make for a stronger, healthier body and more balanced mind. :)

Proteins and Fats:
--Chia Seeds (Omega-3 fats, minerals, fiber for long-lasting fullness; regulates blood sugar; multiple ways to eat it, easy to clean up; a little goes a long way in satiety)
--Hemp protein (Complete protein, Omega-3 fats, fiber for long-lasting fullness; simply add to coffee, hot chocolate, water, or juice, shake, and drink up!)
--Coconut flakes - dry, unsweetened (Contains healthy fats; iron, which is necessary for warding off feelings of fatigue; protein; fiber; zinc, which is necessary for the immune system and healing; simply sprinkle it on cereals, eat with chocolate, eat plain, sprinkle on any meals really!)
--Coconut oil (another option in conjunction to or separate from coconut flakes; all of the same benefits, but you can use the oil for anti-chafing, as a lip balm, as well as mix it with baking soda for a natural and effective anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial toothpaste)

Thermogenic, Healing Spices, and Teas:
--Turmeric Root ground (Anti-inflammatory--ditch the constant use of 'vitamin I' and use this multi-beneficial root instead; also good for relieving headaches, diarrhea, arthritis, infections, heartburn; sprinkle on meals, mix with warm water as a tea)
--Tulsi Leaf a.k.a. Holy Basil (use this for a common cold and fever, as well as coughs, sore throat; also used for insect bites applied as a 'paste' to the bites, leave on to dry; mix with hot water as a tea or add a little water to make a paste)
--Yerba Mate (use in lieu of coffee; packs quite a punch for vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; buy loose leaf and steep in a reusable tea bag)

:)

Other than coconut, I have no idea what you just wrote. :D

Aletheia.VA
09-27-2013, 15:49
(...continued from above)

Also forgot to add that Turmeric is a thermogenic spice that regulates body temperatures which is completely necessary during all seasons.
For our February start, my other half and I will utilize that as well as Cayenne (just make sure not to get in eyes or any body cavities!); in cold weather, cayenne prevents frostbite--just sprinkle some in your socks and shoes (really!). A little cayenne in a wound also stops it from bleeding and assists in healing, as well as fighting fungal infections.

Yay for herbs and spices!

Aletheia.VA
09-27-2013, 15:50
Other than coconut, I have no idea what you just wrote. :D

Hahaha! Something to look into perhaps? The ability to learn and one's openness to it is quite a strong tool. :)

aficion
09-27-2013, 16:01
Hahaha! Something to look into perhaps? The ability to learn and one's openness to it is quite a strong tool. :)

Nothing beats a strong tool!

foodbag
09-27-2013, 16:05
Coarse-ground pepper and Little Debbie brownies must be in Foodbag's foodbag....

Sarcasm the elf
09-27-2013, 16:09
24199 Don't leave home without em!

yeah, those too. Something about cinching up the waist belt on my pack pushes
up all the acid in my stomach, tums and Zantac are always on my packing list.

ChinMusic
09-27-2013, 16:12
yeah, those too. Something about cinching up the waist belt on my pack pushes
up all the acid in my stomach, tums and Zantac are always on my packing list.

Oddly, my need for Zantac ended about half way through my thru-hike. I still don't need em.

aficion
09-27-2013, 16:22
Oddly, my need for Zantac ended about half way through my thru-hike. I still don't need em.

It is amazing how the reflux disappears when I am below a certain girth, and reappears when I exceed it. Better than drugs!

Sarcasm the elf
09-27-2013, 16:26

Glad to hear that! Stress is a leading cause of acid reflux. As a section hiker, the shock to my body from hopping on the trail for a week or two at a time increases my heart burn, but i would suspect that after a few months on the trail the mental and physical changes would greatly reduce the reflux.

flemdawg1
10-01-2013, 17:21
coffee, and Kroger hydration mix 24247