PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam Parking and Showers

madgoat
09-24-2013, 21:08
I'm planning on a 5-day loop hike out of Fontana Dam next month. So with that in mind:

1. What is the current wisdom on parking. Can/should I park at the visitors center, or should I cross the dam and park at the trailhead? I found a thread from 7 years ago that seemed to indicate that parking at the visitors center was the preferred method at the time. Has that changed?

2. What is the best place around fontana to grab a quick cheap shower before starting my drive home?

Thanks

Zippy Morocco
09-24-2013, 21:32
Not sure about the best parking but there are hiker showers at the Dam for free as well as camping.

Enjoy the hike

Emerson Bigills
09-24-2013, 21:33
You can park at the dam. Very safe. There are showers at the dam (go figure) and also a shower house about 100 yards up the path from the shelter (Fontana Hilton). I used one before and one after my trip. Enjoy.

HooKooDooKu
09-24-2013, 22:33
If you park at the dam visitor center rather than the trail head, you're going to add a mile to your hike (each way for a total of 2 extra miles).

Public showers are available at the dam visitor center (bathrooms at one end, showers at the other).

TNhiker
09-25-2013, 01:53
I've parked at the trailhead for weekend trips a bunch but I think for a 5 dayer---I'd park at the visitor center and just walk the extra mile...

And as noted---free showers at the dam......

Not the best in the world (sometimes the nozzle is missing) but its a way to get clean...

And more than likely, you'll have at least one person who can read the sign and will pop in thinking its a restroom....

blisterbob
09-25-2013, 05:26
I suggest parking at the visitor center. it is lighted and security does a drive thru a couple times a night.

daddytwosticks
09-25-2013, 07:14
I've parked at the trailhead for weekend trips a bunch but I think for a 5 dayer---I'd park at the visitor center and just walk the extra mile...

And as noted---free showers at the dam......

Not the best in the world (sometimes the nozzle is missing) but its a way to get clean...

And more than likely, you'll have at least one person who can read the sign and will pop in thinking its a restroom.... Used these showers the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. They functioned perfectly and had no peeping Toms. I believe this facility is not open year round. I also parked at the visitor's center. It was way cool walking across the dam to finish my hike. Felt like the Rocky scene on the steps of that building...I was victorious. :)

OutnBack
09-25-2013, 08:39
I second or third the parking at the visitor center. Well lit & very safe.

madgoat
09-25-2013, 09:01
Thanks everybody. Hopefully the showers will still be open in late october. Otherwise.... off to the Pilot station.

BigMW
09-26-2013, 10:02
We've parked at the trailheads beyond the dam many times and have had no issues....

Unfortuately, we had to walk from the parking lot to the trailhead during our 2008 hike of the AT through the smokies.... We didn't re-supply along the way so our packs were quite heavy...

Before your trip, enjoy the improved facilities prior to starting your hike. We were not able to establish significant cell phone coverage at the visitor center, so the wife was worried until we could establish communications in the upper elevations. If the visitor center is open, you can enjoy treats....

TNhiker
09-26-2013, 14:22
We were not able to establish significant cell phone coverage at the visitor center, so the wife was worried until we could establish communications in the upper elevations.

yeah......if ya need it, cell coverage is not good over there.......

one can try down at the marina, as they have (or used to) some kinda portable thingy that will help get better cell service....

there are some interesting places though that will get good cell service......

campsite 51 back on indian creek motor trail get service (was with a group where some guy was using iphone to get the UT game score)...

and on the landing at the lake, just east of campsite 76, one can get good coverage there (i tried there trying to order concert tickets over the phone one weekend).....

and the visitor center is interesting to go in and visit.........gives the reason why fontana was build and shows how it was done......

and since we're talking about the dam---enjoy this from this past winter...

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/250580/2/Rare-sight-TVA-uses-sluice-tube-at-Fontana-Dam-to-lower-lake

daddytwosticks
09-26-2013, 16:22
That sluice tube is awesome. Would have loved to be there to witness that. :)

BigMW
09-26-2013, 16:32
It is often comforting for the folks back home to know you were able to reach the trailhead.... Or at least the nearest city or landmark, thereof... It was my fault that we exited Maryville (withour breakfast) and entered the wilderness before making contact to the homestead... This was totally my fault... I learned my lesson... Thank goodness for cellular coverage in the upper elevations!!! But I digress...

HooKooDooKu
09-26-2013, 16:38
We were not able to establish significant cell phone coverage at the visitor center, so the wife was worried until we could establish communications in the upper elevations.
I've been able to get cell phone coverage (at least enough for texting on Verizon) near the picnic area that you pass as you come down the hill approaching the dam from the marina.

BigMW
09-26-2013, 17:06
Cell service showed bars at the "dam" visitor center but we could not make a call... It's still my fault for missing breakfast opportunities in Alcoa and/or Maryville where service was aplenty...

TNhiker
09-26-2013, 17:07

thanks....

the best part was standing in the mist of it----and having just at chest height----a full rainbow wrapped around me.........it was like being inside of a big rainbow donut.....

BigMW
09-26-2013, 17:52
Sluice tube looks awesome.... To think, it was just a few years ago that the lake was well below average levels... Gotta love Mother Nature...

HooKooDooKu
09-26-2013, 22:00
News Story with video (http://www.wbir.com/news/article/250580/2/Rare-sight-TVA-uses-sluice-tube-at-Fontana-Dam-to-lower-lake)

TNhiker
09-26-2013, 22:18
Here's one I did the week before on bald river falls...

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/249659/2/Flood-waters-cause-rare-sight-in-Cherokee-National-Forest

madgoat
09-27-2013, 08:15
My upcoming trip is a 4 night trip that takes in Eagle Creek, Spence Field, Rocky Top, Jenkins Ridge, Shuckstack, Bone Valley, Lost Cove, Gregory Bald and Parsons Bald. I'm really looking forward to this one. That said, not too worried about cell reception at the dam. Our trip includes plenty of exposed ridgeline from which I can text my honey.