PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob Introduction

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-25-2013, 13:11
Hey everyone. I thought that it would only be proper that I use my first post to introduce myself.

I am new to the site, but not new to backpacking. My last career involved carrying my crap through the wilderness over long distances, so I kind of learned to enjoy it after 10 years. :D Nowadays, my job keeps me glued to a computer monitor, so I try to come up with any excuse to go out and get dirty. I usually spend my free time hiking, travelling, and snowboarding.

Since the NJ portion of the AT is in my area, I tend to spend some of my free time there, but I hope to begin branching out and hiking the sections in PA and NY.

slbirdnerd
09-25-2013, 15:31
Welcome! I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot here in my short time since I started backpacking. This year. It's GREAT! I'm chained to a computer at work. Blech.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-25-2013, 16:26
Good to hear. I have been a long time lurker here and have found a lot of posts very helpful. I always wanted to thru hike, but it was never in the cards, so I just stick to section hiking and find different ways to challenge myself with the free time I have.

T.S.Kobzol
09-25-2013, 16:38
Love your nickname. Welcome to WB.

HikerMom58
09-25-2013, 22:28
Love your nickname. Welcome to WB.

Yes, indeed... welcome, welcome!!

Meriadoc
09-25-2013, 22:32
Welcome! What was your prior career? Inquiring minds want to know :banana

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-25-2013, 23:04
Welcome! What was your prior career? Inquiring minds want to know :banana

I spent 10 years in the infantry; primarily with the 10th Mountain Division. Now I work in an accounting department of a large company. Funny how life works.

hobbs
09-26-2013, 00:09
I spent 10 years in the infantry; primarily with the 10th Mountain Division. Now I work in an accounting department of a large company. Funny how life works.

Someone has to crunch the numbers..LOL

illabelle
09-26-2013, 06:27
Welcome, UVFluff! Glad you've joined us. :)
Alright, now that you've introduced yourself, where are all the dumb questions? We want dumb questions! Somebody asked me the other day, "so you have to sleep outSIDE???"

Water Rat
09-26-2013, 07:40
Alright, now that you've introduced yourself, where are all the dumb questions? We want dumb questions! Somebody asked me the other day, "so you have to sleep outSIDE???"

My favorite question is, "What do you do when you get dirty?" So many responses went through my head... But, I ended up just saying, "Grin even bigger!" :D

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 07:53

Sure. Here is a dumb question: Who the hell came up with the idea of dumping minefields of sharp rocks onto the trail? After a few days, it gets a little old. :D

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 08:00
It is what it is

HikerMom58
09-26-2013, 08:26
Sure. Here is a dumb question: Who the hell came up with the idea of dumping minefields of sharp rocks onto the trail? After a few days, it gets a little old. :D

I like the question...how do you take a shower? Ahhh.... you don't??? When I get to a town, I don't walk, I RUN to the shower. I just like to feel human again. :D

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 08:30
Baby wipes are all the shower you need.

HikerMom58
09-26-2013, 08:53
Baby wipes are all the shower you need.

I'm a girl!! :sun I do love those wipes! ;) Nathan's brand are the BEST!

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 09:43

I do enjoy a refreshing baby wipe on a cold winter day. Wakes the boys up right away. :eek:

treesloth
09-26-2013, 09:58

I did a Pa section a while ago and was telling a local buddy here in Fl about all the rocks.. he asked me, "so do people go out there and move them around to keep the trail conditions constantly different?". I just said yes.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 10:05
I heard this year they are releasing packs of wolves to keep hikers on their toes.

illabelle
09-26-2013, 10:52

The minefields are dumped there in the night by wild animals, who hope to slow down the hikers. The animals watch unseen from nearby hiding places, and when the moment is right, they pounce!

HikerMom58
09-26-2013, 10:53
I heard this year they are releasing packs of wolves to keep hikers on their toes.

Well hey UVF... you seem like a fun guy! Hope you stick around.

There's been a lot of :cool: members join lately.(well, most all members, I know, are :cool:) Hope you stick around. If you or any of the other newbies want to "just chat" there's groups you can join. Hikerboy57 has a group and so does Wise Old Owl... both groups are :cool:.

I read where someone wanted to ban the dancing banana. lol. What about the "cool" emoticon?? :D

illabelle
09-26-2013, 11:05

So did you hear the story about the huge grease-and-baby-wipe story? Yuck!

This summer, a 15-ton glob of wipes and hardened cooking grease the size of a bus — and nicknamed “Fatberg” by the Brits — was discovered in a London sewer pipe after residents complained of toilets that would not flush.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 11:07
Well hey UVF... you seem like a fun guy! Hope you stick around.

There's been a lot of :cool: members join lately.(well, most all members, I know, are :cool:) Hope you stick around. If you or any of the other newbies want to "just chat" there's groups you can join. Hikerboy57 has a group and so does Wise Old Owl... both groups are :cool:.

I read where someone wanted to ban the dancing banana. lol. What about the "cool" emoticon?? :D

Thanks for the info. I'm a longtime member of a popular car forum, but we don't have the banana. My personal favorites are :sly: :banghead: and :facepalm: I tend to use those quite frequently, especially when discussing the crap-boxes in my garage. :cool:

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 11:08
no,you dont necessarily need a gun, but it might be a good idea to bring along some bullets, just in case

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85736-how-many-bullets&highlight=

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 11:15
no,you dont necessarily need a gun, but it might be a good idea to bring along some bullets, just in case

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85736-how-many-bullets&highlight=

Hollow point for weight savings. :D

Rocket Jones
09-26-2013, 17:20

Nah, that's just GEICO doing another commercial.

LIhikers
09-28-2013, 00:01
Welcome to Whiteblaze Von Fluffbutt.
Since you're already planning to spend free time on the NJ section of trail, let me make a suggestion.
How about you join the NY/NJ Trail Conference and volunteer to be a trail maintainer.
Just a suggestion mind you.

Sarcasm the elf
09-28-2013, 01:40

No need to mention guns, those are illegal in New Jersey.

Hollow point for weight savings. :D

Now who told you about those things?

Sorry... I'm a life long CT resident, I couldn't resist. I really hate that I have to admit how beautiful the NJ section of the A.T. Is and how welcoming the locals are (especially in Vernon). :welcome Welcome to the site.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-28-2013, 19:53
No need to mention guns, those are illegal in New Jersey.

Now who told you about those things?

Sorry... I'm a life long CT resident, I couldn't resist. I really hate that I have to admit how beautiful the NJ section of the A.T. Is and how welcoming the locals are (especially in Vernon). :welcome Welcome to the site.

They are definitely welcoming. The steakhouse near Culver Lake filled our water up for us when the store next door was closed. But it could have been the 6 beers we bought that brought out the hospitality in them. :D

Another Kevin
09-28-2013, 20:03

So you're fighting in a chairborne division?

:welcome

We ain't all gung-ho thru-hikers here. I'm a clueless weekender because I'm chained to a lab bench most weekdays myself. But I like to get out when I can, even though it's not half often enough to stay in shape for it.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
10-01-2013, 14:11
So you're fighting in a chairborne division?

We ain't all gung-ho thru-hikers here. I'm a clueless weekender because I'm chained to a lab bench most weekdays myself. But I like to get out when I can, even though it's not half often enough to stay in shape for it.

Yep, unfortunately I am. Can't complain. I could be doing excel formulas while getting shot at.

I actually had a chance to go out with the gf on sunday on a pace test hike. Since I only have the weekends to work with, I am limited in what I can do. I told the gf that I want to hike from High Point to the Gap in 2 days and wanted to do a 10 mile section in under 5 hours for training purposes. She decided to come along. Before the hike, she was interested in doing the 2 day trip. After Sunday, I'm not so sure she wants to tag along anymore. :D

quasarr
10-05-2013, 09:13
Nice to have you, UVF!! If you ever get frustrated on a hike, just think of it as "mandatory fun" ;)