PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape

frogmonkey
09-25-2013, 14:08
What's the best way to roll your own duct tape? The small 50-inch pre-rolled ones are a bit pricey, so I thought I would roll my own. I also know how I am with anything sticky and I picture myself having to touch the duct tape so much all the sticky will be gone or I'll have a crazy, balled up mass of unusable duct tape.

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2013, 14:13
I use to roll a bit of duck tape around my hiking stick. But after years of sitting there unused, it became a sticky mess. However, the mess was easily cleaned with WD-40.

fins1838
09-25-2013, 14:36
Wal-mart had the small rolls on their clearance shelf yesterday, $1. As long as you opt for hot pink or zbra striped. Chose the pink:banana

ChinMusic
09-25-2013, 15:07
I had various types of tape rolled on my trekking poles. I found that that worked well on my thru. Over time the duct tape will get gummy but it didn't for the duration of my thru. I had regular duct tape (for hot spots on my feet), two different waterproof white tapes (for wrapping toes), and Gorilla tape (for repair/patching of cuben fiber pack (used a LOT after Mahoosuc Notch).

Sarcasm the elf
09-25-2013, 16:16
I just wrap a few feet of duct tape around he top section of my trekking poles.
That way I ever have to dig through my pack to look for it.

1azarus
09-25-2013, 16:53
a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.

Haiku
09-25-2013, 16:57
a gram weenie obsessed hiker jerk (not me...) observed that wrapping tape on a hiking pole was a strategic mistake because you had to lift that weight every time you used the pole -- kind of like the argument for how important it is to have light weight footwear. so that hiker jerk would suggest you put the duct tape in your pack, not on the pole.

Maybe that's why I had Popeye arms at the end of my hike!

rocketsocks
09-25-2013, 17:05
I have thought about this for a long time (keeping the tape on your hiking pole) and why it needs to be so accessible, no one seems to be able to answer that question to my satisfaction, and the only reason I can see for having it so accessible is if you maybe got your face ripped off by a bear, and wanted to tape it back on....

or maybe a Hiker says "Hey, who's got some duck tape" and your the first one to rip off a piece before they even finish their sentence, and say "right here dude"

and still my multi directional bonding strip remains on my pole...ready for whatever may come...I guess.

rocketsocks
09-25-2013, 17:09
What's the best way to roll your own duct tape? The small 50-inch pre-rolled ones are a bit pricey, so I thought I would roll my own. I also know how I am with anything sticky and I picture myself having to touch the duct tape so much all the sticky will be gone or I'll have a crazy, balled up mass of unusable duct tape.Some rap it around a pencil or pen...

MuddyWaters
09-25-2013, 18:25
Mine is just folded over to itself, about 2" long, then continue wrapping it around to itself.
Makes a nice little pad about 2" long and 1/4" thick.

It doesnt need to be wrapped around anything. You do it right off the roll, and you never have to touch it or mess up the stickiness.

jimmyjam
09-25-2013, 18:53
I wrap about 2 ft or so around a drinking straw and then cut off the straw. The little roll then goes in my "repair kit" with crazy glue, needle and thread, and spare headlight/camera batteries.

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2013, 18:53
I have thought about this for a long time (keeping the tape on your hiking pole) and why it needs to be so accessible...
As I see it, wrapping some duct tape on your hiking pole isn't a matter of keeping it accessible, it's simply a matter of convenience.

It is very easy to wrap the tape from your roll directly on to something that is round. It is easier to start wrapping it on something that larger (1/2"+) rather than something small (pencil). You don't have to remember to pack it with the rest of your gear. You're making more efficient use of the limited space in your backpack (after all, how many pieces of gear are designed such that they can be stored in/on this extra space provided by your hiking pole).

double d
09-25-2013, 19:12
Lots of good advice to answer the O.P.'s question, but I just buy mine from REI, they are pre-rollled and ready to go.

dmax
09-25-2013, 19:34
I have fluorescent orange wrapped around the top of both trekking poles.

rocketsocks
09-25-2013, 20:03
As I see it, wrapping some duct tape on your hiking pole isn't a matter of keeping it accessible, it's simply a matter of convenience.

It is very easy to wrap the tape from your roll directly on to something that is round. It is easier to start wrapping it on something that larger (1/2"+) rather than something small (pencil). You don't have to remember to pack it with the rest of your gear. You're making more efficient use of the limited space in your backpack (after all, how many pieces of gear are designed such that they can be stored in/on this extra space provided by your hiking pole).
Point taken...and people, don't forget to tab your tape......or not, I'm a taber.

steve0423
09-25-2013, 20:37
I started my thru with 2 different colors of D-tape on my poles to allow me to quickly tell the left from the right...
After I used most of it, I left a bit of both to continue to show me which was which at a glance, but then switched to Leukotape wrapped around a chap stick..

LEUKO!! What Whaaat!!

hikerboy57
09-25-2013, 20:40
every now and then i get the feeling we tend to overthink things.
ive had the same foot and a half of duct tape around my poles for 2 years.ive only used a few inches of it in over 1000 miles.
it doesnt tell me which pole is which, the little l and r labels help me out there.

FarmerChef
09-25-2013, 20:46
wow. I was sure someone would have already mentioned this but...I wrap a bit around my spare water bottle. It's saved the day a couple of times for shoe soles that decided to separate. I didn't need instant access but it was convenient to not have to empty my pack to fix the shoes. When we hit a hardware store in Duncannon. We just bought a roll, wrapped what we needed back around the water bottle. Then gave the rest to the clerk.

Old Hiker
09-25-2013, 20:52
Wally used to sell a small roll that was actually attached to a 'biner. Saw them in the hardware section. Not a large, heavy roll, but the 'biner made it convenient to hang off my pack.

ChinMusic
09-25-2013, 21:03
I started my thru with 2 different colors of D-tape on my poles to allow me to quickly tell the left from the right...

LOL I thought I was the only one to do that.

HooKooDooKu
09-25-2013, 21:19
I just buy mine from REI, they are pre-rollled and ready to go.
I can't fault anyone who wants to spend a few dollars for the convenience of a prefabricated tiny roll...
I can't fault anyone who wants to save a few dollars and just wrap their own.

The only thing I can find fault is anyone who spends the money on the prepackaged camping rolls of toilet paper. It's not that difficult to cut the cardboard center out of a standard toilet roll and stuff it in a ziplock.

Drybones
09-25-2013, 21:23
I have a 6" or so long piece of 1/8" blue foam pad that I roll it onto. It's made that length to fit in my mesh odds and ends bag. I just rolled some today in preparation for the next hike. I used gorilla tape this time, much more heavy duty, thought I may wear some already well worn trail runners that have the toe piece coming off, may have to tape it if the sole start going.

Astro
09-25-2013, 21:25

I am not an UL gram weenie or a jerk (or at least I hope not), but that does make sense to me. :)

atmilkman
09-25-2013, 21:37

I am not an UL gram weenie or a jerk (or at least I hope not), but that does make sense to me. :)

One might argue that this helps strengthen the arms for when you get to the Whites. Just like doing 16oz curls of beer instead of 12.

fins1838
09-26-2013, 06:51
I have fluorescent orange wrapped around the top of both trekking poles.

Wow. I have the fluorescent orange wrapped on the bottom of my trek poles. Someday we will cross paths.

OzJacko
09-26-2013, 07:17
Just threw the roll as purchased in the back pocket of my ULA pack.
Can't say that the extra weight significantly affected my hike.
I used it for lots of things. Taped the two spots on both feet where I am prone to blister.
Used it to tape shut bounce boxes so went through a bit of it.
Even gave some to others when needed. (Although I tend not to give anything to the "silly lighters" who carry next to nothing, only those who have legitimate reasons for not having their own.)

snifur
09-26-2013, 08:35
I buy the pre-rolled d-tape and keep it with my medic kit. but i will be honest here, i have never used not even an inch of it to repair or bandage anything in 18 years of avid hiking. i have given it away on plenty of occasions. every 3 months or so i move it from my hiker bin to the tool box where it will be used and then i buy a new roll.

frogmonkey
09-26-2013, 08:44
Everybody has great ideas! You might say I'm a duct tape junky. Have a blister? Slap some duct tape on it! A seam on your clothes causing chaffing? A little duct tape will help! Bag of granola has a hole in it? Duct tape to the rescue!

I am hoping to find a good pair of shoes/boots that don't give me blisters, or not as many so my need for duct tape will be less.

WingedMonkey
09-26-2013, 09:56
Mine is wrapped around a 35 mm film canister that contains my sewing kit.

The film can contains a few sewing needles and pins (and a needle threader), some small safety pins, a button or two. Some dental floss without the packaging (the round spool fits perfect in the bottom) and a small spool of polyester thread.

If I can remember to restock, it also usually contains a spare flashlight bulb.

Drybones
09-26-2013, 10:33
Everybody has great ideas! You might say I'm a duct tape junky. Have a blister? Slap some duct tape on it! A seam on your clothes causing chaffing? A little duct tape will help! Bag of granola has a hole in it? Duct tape to the rescue!

I am hoping to find a good pair of shoes/boots that don't give me blisters, or not as many so my need for duct tape will be less.

It's like someone here said before.....if you can't fix it with duct tape or a beer it's not worth fixin.

Drybones
09-26-2013, 10:36
A young lady at Fontana had some duct tape with scull and crossbones on it, she used it to stop the bleeding of a friend who cut his hand badly with a hatchet...I've got to get me some of that.

HooKooDooKu
09-26-2013, 10:38
Mine is wrapped around a 35 mm film canister that contains my sewing kit.
I've got to wonder... how many younger hikers are reading this and asking "what's a film canister"?

atmilkman
09-26-2013, 10:42
I've got to wonder... how many younger hikers are reading this and asking "what's a film canister"?

The same ones that think those 33rpm LP's are big CD's.

rusty bumper
09-26-2013, 10:54
I use a short piece of plastic soda straw with about 2 feet of duct tape wrapped around it. I keep it in a zip-lock with other miscellaneous items.

Ewok11
09-26-2013, 11:03
If I'm not carrying one of the small rolls, then I just wrap it around itself like someone else said. There are so many little self-wrapped rolls of DT in this house. I just randomly find them all the time.

I'm not sure if I'm still considered young since I have *gasp* crossed the bridge in to the 30's but I still have and use film canisters for lots of things.

atmilkman
09-26-2013, 11:05
I'm not sure if I'm still considered young since I have *gasp* crossed the bridge in to the 30's but I still have and use film canisters for lots of things.

But, do you have any of those big CD's?

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 11:17
i use digital film canisters to save weight

ChinMusic
09-26-2013, 11:29
i use digital film canisters to save weight
awesome......

Astro
09-26-2013, 11:46
The same ones that think those 33rpm LP's are big CD's.

They probably would be shocked to know you can play both sides. :rolleyes:

RED-DOG
09-26-2013, 12:07
I just take about an 4 inch stick and I wrap a 5ft piece of Gorilla Tape around the stick and put the tape in a small zip-lock bag then put with my First aid.

Ewok11
09-26-2013, 12:10
LOL! I do in fact have some of the BIG CD's. I even have a BIG CD player to listen to them on. I just had a conversation with someone a few days ago about "kids these days" not having any clue what the B side was.

Until a few years ago, I had access to some 45's.

I think I'm going to start carrying digital film canisters now that it's been mentioned. :)

treesloth
09-26-2013, 13:01
Over 40 replies on the science of carrying duct tape. You just gotta love this site sometimes.

Trebor66
09-26-2013, 15:29
I carry about three feet wrapped around a old credit card to keep it nice and neat and it's in my "miscellaneous" bag. And going back several posts... Who knew that trekking poles had a left and a right. Guess I've been doing it wrong...

rocketsocks
09-26-2013, 16:03
i use digital film canisters to save weightI'll bet you could start selling those...I'd buy a couple.

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 16:04
I'll bet you could start selling those...I'd buy a couple.
free shipping

Astro
09-26-2013, 17:53
free shipping

Sort of like buying an air guitar.

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 18:04
free shipping

Sort of like buying an air guitar. I can ship it to you airmail

for the digital version,here's the link:http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Air-Guitar

Gray Blazer
09-26-2013, 18:36
I can ship it to you airmail

Bet your arms get tired. Use some duck tape.

hikerboy57
09-26-2013, 18:43
Bet your arms get tired. Use some duck tape.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4057848576/h69137460/

Colter
09-27-2013, 18:08
+1. If my water bottle is smooth, I wrap my duct tape around my water bottle. Otherwise I wrap it around my Caldera Cone caddy.

bobp
09-27-2013, 19:36
I have 3-4 feet of orange and another 3-4 feet of silver wrapped around a fine/blunt combination Sharpie that I use for navigation (taking notes on maps). It is really handy.

Sarcasm the elf
09-27-2013, 21:29

Similarly a PCT hiker (yeti I think?) attached a 1liter water bottle to each hiking pole to ensure that he didn't lose all his upper body strength while they hiking. :sun

RF_ace
09-28-2013, 20:20
forget duct tape, what you need is something called gaffer tape

OzJacko
09-28-2013, 20:53
forget duct tape, what you need is something called gaffer tape
Same thing with a bit of thread in it. Sold a lot here.
Duct tape is better for hiking.
Gaffer tape is not smooth so not as good for foot care uses.
Possibly a bit better for things like pack repair.

RF_ace
09-29-2013, 14:09
foot repair- leuko tape, much higher adhesion than any tape found at the store

AllenIsbell
09-29-2013, 14:58
I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but I wrap it around an old credit card.

Cookerhiker
10-08-2013, 17:59
I wrap some around a stick from an ice cream bar. I can get a fair amount wrapped and it doesn't take up much space or stick to anything.

Namtrag
10-08-2013, 18:25
I remember seeing on this thread, someone posted that they used to wrap it on their trekking poles until they realized they were lifting the extra weight of the tape over and over again.

I like it, keeps your biceps and forearms big!

Airman
10-09-2013, 11:08
Just buy a small roll of duct tape and smash it. Fits in your backpack somewhere and ready to use whenever. Mine has been in my pack for two years with no problems. I have used it twice in two years, mainly for wrapping rocks around my rope for throwing for bear protection.

Tipi Walter
10-09-2013, 11:36
People still using Duct tape? I quit carrying it back in the '80s. The last time I used it was to keep a pair of crappy Vasque boots in one piece, as below. (1988)

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Tipi-Life/i-VSjzkNV/0/X2/tipi%20sweat%20lodge-X2.jpg

There are much better choices---

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor/static/images/items/main/21624.jpg

http://www.backcountryedge.com/images/PRODUCT/large/mcnett-tenacious.jpg

http://www.calikites.com/images/Tear-Aid.jpg

This Tear-Aid product is pretty good---Type A.

Namtrag
10-09-2013, 12:56
do those products work on the reason many people have duct tape- ie blister prevention?

Tipi Walter
10-09-2013, 13:14
do those products work on the reason many people have duct tape- ie blister prevention?

I rarely get blisters (except on my hands when I'm doing trailwork) but 30 years ago I used to get boot blisters and used the old moleskin treatment, or fabric bandaids. I still carry these two if something pops up. I hear duct tape works good for blisters but then so does moleskin IF you put it on a hot spot before the thing erupts.

Rolls Kanardly
10-09-2013, 13:27
Wrapping around something small seemed to be a waste when the last few wraps could not be undone. Hiking poles were messy. A cardboard tube from the kitchen or the bathroom held a little or a lot of tape. Wasted space you say, not really, just shoved a small wicking towel inside the tube or what ever will fill up the hole. And after the last wrap of tape was gone you can burn the tube as long as the sticky was gone. Must be inside pack so not instantly available but just another way to do tape. "Rolls Kanardly"

Montego
10-09-2013, 21:55
Same as 'Jimmy Jam' said at post #11, I just wrapped a couple of feet of duct tape around a drinking straw and then cut the ends of the straw flush. I added this small roll to my zip-bag of odds 'n ends (needles, thread, pencil, journal, etc) that I carried on the intended thru-hike.