PDA

View Full Version : Good food on the trail

mattyoc20
09-25-2013, 20:32
I am wondering what kind of food everyone makes while hiking. I am growing tired of the ramen, packaged noodles, and mountain houses. What is an easy way to eat good on the trail.

hikerboy57
09-25-2013, 20:36
hire a chef.

or check out these threads:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?429-Food

FarmerChef
09-25-2013, 20:42
Also check out backpackingchef.com for creative ideas on dehydrated food. A lot of folks use lipton sides and add to them. Mashed potato meals, pasta with protein "mix ins". Lots of ways to create custom meals with a few carried items and bought items from stores along the way (or bring them if it's a short hike). Packaged gravy and dehydrated ground beef can be added to mashed potatoes for creamed hamburger over mashed potatoes, for example. You could add dehydrated onions and dried mushrooms too if you desire. Lots more ideas like that.

mattyoc20
09-25-2013, 20:59
Also check out backpackingchef.com for creative ideas on dehydrated food. A lot of folks use lipton sides and add to them. Mashed potato meals, pasta with protein "mix ins". Lots of ways to create custom meals with a few carried items and bought items from stores along the way (or bring them if it's a short hike). Packaged gravy and dehydrated ground beef can be added to mashed potatoes for creamed hamburger over mashed potatoes, for example. You could add dehydrated onions and dried mushrooms too if you desire. Lots more ideas like that.
I like that mashed potatoe and ground beef idea

Wise Old Owl
09-25-2013, 21:05
I like that mashed potatoe and ground beef idea

Gravel is very cool and so is Memphis rub on jerky

MuddyWaters
09-25-2013, 22:12
I observed a guy once, pull out a small folding skillet, a container of hamburger meat, all kinds of seasonings, and make a meat patty and fry it up.

While it was frying on his stove, he sliced onion and tomato.

He had a large tupperware type container with most of a loaf of bread in it so it wouldnt squash. He took out a couple slices and made a good looking hamburger.

Guy swore he was thru hiking.

No one believed him.

atmilkman
09-25-2013, 22:19
I observed a guy once, pull out a small folding skillet, a container of hamburger meat, all kinds of seasonings, and make a meat patty and fry it up.

While it was frying on his stove, he sliced onion and tomato.

He had a large tupperware type container with most of a loaf of bread in it so it wouldnt squash. He took out a couple slices and made a good looking hamburger.

Guy swore he was thru hiking.

No one believed him.

Fresh hamburger?

Meriadoc
09-25-2013, 22:29
Mix it up. Wander your grocery store and take a look around. Some ideas/things I do:

Dehydrated soup full of veggies. They are often in big packages that need to be broken down but they pack a ton of nutrients.
Instant rice: add some sugar and powdered milk for rice pudding!
Eat a cold dinner and have hot tea.
Tortillas and tuna/peanut butter/nutella/pepperoni/cheese
A pretty standard meal for me is an apple, cheddar cheese, and bread of some sort. Avocado for the first day out. Apples are totally worth their weight.
A smidgen of dark chocolate finishes off a cold meal rather well.

Rocket Jones
09-26-2013, 06:21
Freezer Bag Cooking (http://www.trailcooking.com/).

FarmerChef
09-26-2013, 07:39
Apples are totally worth their weight.
A smidgen of dark chocolate finishes off a cold meal rather well.

Pomes (apples, pears, other hard fruits) are great because absolutely all of it is edible - no waste! Now the tannins in the seeds might not appeal to everyone but if you don't eat them by themselves it's not so bad. I love apples on the trail. :D

As for dark chocolate, my favorite is Lindt 90% dark chocolate. High melt point and a ton of chocolate flavor in a little package. Mmmmm.

Some other ideas, Instant chocolate pudding with walnuts, mini marshmallows, and teddy grahams or crushed oreo cookies. Tasty, easy calorie bomb. You can divide your food into starches and proteins. Starches = rice, potatoes, pasta. Proteins = chicken/turkey, fish, clams, pork, beef/bison/venison. So, for instance, dried milk + mashed potato flakes + assorted seasonings + dried celery + dried clams = clam chowder. If you like it chunky just dice some potatoes, steam them then dry them and add them in a bit sooner to rehydrate. Perfect! To make it more versatile, substitute real bacon bits for the clam chowder and add cheddar cheese (real or powdered) or dried parmesan cheese and chives. Now you have "sausage" and potato soup. Sometimes you can buy the dried soup base in the store and just add additional mix ins.

Go to the store and shop the starches, sauces and other packaged meals. Then shop for tuna pouches, chicken pouches, jerkies. Order up some dried veggies (or dry yourself) and keep them on hand to mix in with what you find. You can make a bunch of meals very easily this way. Oh and don't forget hard cheeses and pepperoni/preserved meats.

For instance, 1 box Mac and Cheese Dinner + olive oil (ghee is better) + Nido milk + pouch tuna + crushed bbq potato chips = tuna helper. Or just buy tuna helper. I prefer the former. ;)

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2013, 08:24
Now we all know how you came to getting the trail name...

FarmerChef
09-26-2013, 08:44
Now we all know how you came to getting the trail name...

Tee hee. Let's just say we eat well on the trail. ;)

DeerPath
09-26-2013, 09:03
Take a look at these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8oRLgTrHI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8oRLgTrHI)

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2013, 09:09
There is no easy way. I dehydrate all my jerky and veggies to mix in with my base meal of rice or raman noodles. Shi**y eating is just part of the trail experience; it's one of the things that makes coming back to town so good.

oldbear
09-26-2013, 09:43
Carry herbs and spices w/ some zing in them such as capers, red pepper flakes , tarragon , green peppercorns ,garlic in quantity , fennel seed ......
and then there are the zests ; orange , lemon and lime

Meriadoc
09-26-2013, 19:45
I'm hiking with FarmerChef. I'll carry the food if I may have some dinner! :D

If you (the OP) do decide to buy dehydrated veggies and such in bulk - buy them in small quantities and taste test. Some of them are not very good.

mattyoc20
09-27-2013, 18:11
the inlaws just got me a dehydrator so ill have to try that out. Thanks for all the help

chiefduffy
09-28-2013, 07:06
the inlaws just got me a dehydrator so ill have to try that out. Thanks for all the help

Try plain old spagetti first. Deydrates easy peasy, tastes great! Beats oatmeal for b-fast, too!

Wise Old Owl
09-28-2013, 08:54
Make sure you read the instructions... The better ones will allow the trays in the dishwasher,

Also folks dont forget http://www.trailcooking.com/

Another Kevin
09-28-2013, 18:49
Life is too short not to eat well.

RED-DOG
09-29-2013, 18:09
Check out Lip-Smacking Backpacking recipies I have found a lot of helpful ideas their.