PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Febuary NOBO's

Figgy
09-26-2013, 00:03
A newbie on the thread, but excited to be here and read all the post. What a great site and thread!

So thought it would be neat to have a thread just for February 2014 starters! Good idea? Bad? Seems most early goers are nervous about weather, equipment, clothing......in other words, how the hell to keep warm for 6 weeks! :)

I'm leaving on Feb 16th, cause I have my own business and need to get back eventually. I do like getting out there early and have more solitude. Not big into crowded trails, plus I rather hike more in 30 degree weather than 100.

Would love to hear from more of you that are taking this adventure on starting in February!

Figgy

Ban the dancing banana!

Poedog
09-26-2013, 00:09
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98304-2014-Snowbirds-Who-s-starting-early-next-year

ChinMusic
09-26-2013, 00:17
I started 3/4 this year and it had it's share of cold/snow. The late Feb starters had it pretty rough. I met many late Feb starters on the trail and they seemed no worse for the wear.

My advise would be to start when you want but have a plan should the weather turn nasty. My plan was to hotel up which I did in Gatlinburg when the Smokies got smoked.