PDA

View Full Version : Age Ole Question-Wool or Silk

scooterdogma
09-26-2013, 07:19
I like the weight of silk, but I have never been in the teens with it. I love merino wool, no funk, and comfy. I'm trying to go lighter with "longjohns". Any one had experience with both materials in cold weather hiking and sleeping? Pros or Cons? thanks

FarmerChef
09-26-2013, 08:24
I haven't tried silk for long johns in the cold though I have a silk liner for my sleeping bag. It gives me maybe a 5 degree boost. On the other hand I have and do use my merino wool extensively in the cold. It's just the ticket and pretty light. My merino long johns are midweight and only really get worn when sleeping. When hiking I get too hot in them and usually wear my shorts or leggings with a micro-weight merino top (longsleeve) if it's cold (say 0 to 20) or a t-shirt/bareback when it's above 20. Otherwise, I sweat. This really depends on your sleep system. I use my midweights to push my summer bag colder. But if I wear them with my apex quilt I'll fry.

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2013, 08:28
Merino wool is the finest available and unless you are used to it, you may be uncomfortable... Silk is wonderful but has a unique smell. Underarmor is cutting edge tech has better elastical & wear capabilitys and will resist some smell and is easier to keep clean

w00dchuck
09-26-2013, 11:41
My smartwool longjohns have been hands down the best clothing decision I have made. I put it off for a long time due to the severely high cost but once I hiked a few days in them I am completely sold. I seldom wear the lowers since it rarely gets cold enough but I have found that by zipping and unzipping the neck and rolling up the sleeves I can be very comfortable over a wide temperature range. I would never go in the woods without them now.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2013, 12:09
Silk vs Merino? Nobody seems to know which is best but here's my take on it---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/The-Hangover-Mountan-Clearcut/i-dd8QV5t/0/M/TRIP%2069%20045-M.jpg
For several years I wore thick silk midlayers instead of fleece or merino. Yes, silk does come in heavyweight. Turtlenecks are almost required for me during winter backpacking trips.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Warriors-Passage/i-4t7WHfz/0/M/TRIP%20128%20066-M.jpg
But let's face it, nothing performs like good merino as here I am on a winter trip with Icebreaker zipneck tops, IB merino balaclava and IB leggings. Excellent and they are being pulled out for an October trip as we speak.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-65wmjnq/0/M/TRIP%20136%20404-M.jpg
Then again, silk in my opinion makes the best baselayer for summer/winter. I always take a top long sleeve thin Man's Tall silk turtleneck(or crew neck) for all of my baselayer needs. Check out Wintersilks or Cabelas. And make sure you get Tall as then the waist is low and the sleeves are long. In cool weather I backpack in this top with the t-shirt over it. And I always sleep in it.

Silk bottoms are not as important if you have a good midweight merino bottom. And of course even though I have some outstanding photos of my silk underwear, they will not be posted here.:)

Dogwood
09-26-2013, 12:37
I like the weight of silk, but I have never been in the teens with it. I love merino wool, no funk, and comfy. I'm trying to go lighter with "longjohns". Any one had experience with both materials in cold weather hiking and sleeping? Pros or Cons? thanks

As it pertains to thermal bottoms I like the silk for sleeping in and when layering under nylon running shorts in milder colder but clear weather when I'm really on the move. I have some in my pack now. I'm in the Adirondacks. They worked great last night in my sleeping bag and for the few miles I hiked starting at 7 a.m. this morning. BTW, don't get confused with silk wt and silk. Silk wt just describes the wt of the thermals NOT NECESSARILY the material the thermals are made from. I largely use silk wt synthetic thermal bottoms. When it starts getting more into the extreme cold zone I like wearing merino thermal bottoms and when I'm moving slower in colder winter temps. I tend to heat up easier with the merino bottoms compared to equal wt silk bottoms. The silk also is a smoother slicker material so it's very comfortable. I think more comfy than even the finest merino for next to skin uses.

In either case I try to get the widest range of usability with whatever longjohn type I choose so I'm looking at my choice from multiple perspectives including: layering, pace, weather/weather extremes, terrain(rocky abrasive, forest, etc), kit integration/other pieces in my kit(such as shelter, sleep system, etc).

Dogwood
09-26-2013, 12:42
BTW, when it comes to a real silk sleeping bag liner nothing beats the comfyness of silk especially if you toss and turn in your sleep and/or you opt for mummy shaped liners. I find I'm lest likely to bind up up in more grabby sleeping bag liners made of cotton, fleece, and merino.

I use merino for the torso probably 90 % of the time though even when layering with next to skin pieces.

Venchka
09-26-2013, 12:44
I say, "Both." Silk first alone. Then silk under wool or fleece. If it gets cold, silk + wool + fleece. My down vest is always in the pack and worn whenever needed.

Wayne

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
09-26-2013, 12:52
I wear silk ones when I know I will be stationary for a while (or sleeping when it's cold). They are usually good enough until the early winter months for me. When temps drop into the 20's or teens, I normally wear an additional polypropylene layer over the silk layer. I also found that the poly layer doesn't retain as much odor when worn over the silk layer as it would if worn against the skin.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2013, 12:59
I say, "Both." Silk first alone. Then silk under wool or fleece. If it gets cold, silk + wool + fleece. My down vest is always in the pack and worn whenever needed.

Wayne

Totally agree with silk under merino. Perfect combo.

Dogwood
09-26-2013, 13:11
I'm also on board with Venchka's and Tipi's suggestion w/ the BOTH recommendation with the silk next to skin. It can be an excellent layering system, especially when it starts getting very cold. It feels like you're gliding along when this type of layering is employed correctly.

Venchka
09-26-2013, 13:44
Good grief! The Geezer got something right. Thanks, Y'all!

Wayne