PDA

View Full Version : Bly Gap via Blye Gap Road

fraserfir
09-26-2013, 10:08
Hello, looking to meet friends headed North on the A.T. at Bly Gap. (I have put out a call to Ron Haven as well) Has anyone ever taken Old Hwy 64 to Eagle Fork Road to Blue Gap Road? Is it safe and is it legal to park where the gate blocks the road? Is this private property? How far of a trek uphill to the A.T from where the road is no longer passible by vehicle? Thanks

max patch
09-26-2013, 10:37
I've never tried it, but the 1985 GA/NC Guidebook gives directions using Eagle Fork Rd and states that you can get within 2 miles of Bly before the road becomes impassable. I doubt that it has improved any in the past 28 years, but if anyone would know it would be Ron

BabySue
09-26-2013, 21:45
I've asked this question on WB, and I got helpful answers. Go to page 2 of the "trail heads and shuttles" section, scroll down about half way.

Ron Haven
09-26-2013, 22:04
Sorry, I got in so late. I am promoting a show in Clayton, Ga this weekend but I did get your call and glad to help you. Here is an e-mail I sent to you.

I would advise you to go to Bly Gap by the way of Blue Ridge Gap in Ga or Deep Gap in NC.

If you go US 64 from Franklin going west, At the bottom of Chunky Gal Mtn, Turn Left onto old 64 which goes oppx 300 ft and turns right.

Go about 1 mile and turn left at the fire dept on Eagle Fork Rd. Follow this road and as you see it turning to gravel turn left just before the bridge. You will think you are going the wrong way because it is so residential. You will even see a pond on the right. Go on past and you will see a forest service rd turning to the left. I think the number is 2200 or something near this. It is the only FS road. If you go 1,000 more feet the road will end so if you pass the FS go back.

It is about a 3 mile walk to Bly Gap and is all grown up. If you go this way, be careful..., Ron