PDA

View Full Version : Nikon-1 AW-1 Camera

ChuckT
09-26-2013, 11:44
I don't think I have use for video on the trail and viewing on an LCD panel instead of through a viewfinder seems un-natural to me but sealed, rugged, built-in GPS, a compass and usable with gloves! This has promise.

"Nikon has released a rugged, waterproof mirrorless interchangeable lens camera - along with a pair of equally tough lenses - for a starting price under $800. Those familiar with Nikon film cameras may fondly recall the days of the Nikonos, with which the company dominated underwater photography from the 1960s onward.

The AW1 is essentially, if not exactly, a ruggedized version of Nikon's 1 J3. It is waterproof down to 15 meters (49 ft), shockproof from up to 2 meters (6.6 ft), and protected against cold as low as -10 degrees Celsius (14F). It is announced with two lenses - equally ruggedized versions of the 11-27mm (30-74mm equiv) and 10mm (27mm equiv) optics that already form part of the 1 System lineup. The AW1 is compatible with all 1 System lenses, but it will not be water, shock or freezeproof with a non-ruggedized lens on the front. The waterproof lenses, however, will not be compatible with other 1 System cameras.
Nikon AW1: Key Specifications

Waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof
14MP C-format (2.7x crop factor) CMOS sensor
ISO 100-6400
3-inch LCD with 921,000 dots
Built-in GPS with compass, altimeter, and depth meter
Action Control system for underwater/gloved operation
PASM shooting via 'Creative Mode' menu
15 fps burst mode with continuous AF, 60 fps with single AF
Full HD 1080p video"

ChuckT
09-26-2013, 11:46
'Course it helps to have Nikon gear to start with.

cvt

imscotty
10-29-2014, 21:01
Bump - Wondering if anyone has used this camera out on the trail and if they have a review.