PDA

View Full Version : dog Pack

Many Moons
09-26-2013, 22:52
Hey all!
What dog long trail pack dp u like? No dog haters please! I returned a REI pack today that the main strap under the dogs pits ripped on one side and was torn on the other. We had Dexter carring about 20 pounds total, 10 per side. The ruff brand looks just like the REI brand, not sure though have not seen the Ruff in person, REI only had their brand in stock. I will hit the trail at Standing Bear Hostel in April to continue on with the section to K!!!!!!!! Any help will be great. HIKE ON!!!!!!!

Miller

Valley Girl
09-26-2013, 23:09
I like the Palisades Pack by Ruffwear, Jake likes it also :)

Sarcasm the elf
09-26-2013, 23:25
Generally speaking I'm always hesitant to recommend using dog packs for long hikes. A lot of dogs aren't built to carry much weight, plus the packs never seem to fit properly and most people load them up with too much weight.

That said, Ruffwear makes very well constructed packs and are what I use, take some time to find one that is the right size for and a good fit and be careful how much weight you load it with. I only make my dog carry 10-15% of her body weight max, though this can of course vary by breed and individual dog.

Many Moons
09-26-2013, 23:37
Thanks for input. Yes Dexter is a tuff one half Akita and half Shepard. we have just been practicing and he tore up the REI pack. I will bring him home the minute he want to quit hiking, and promise not to push him. Do u know it the Ruff is the same pack that REI has as their main stock item? It looks a lot like the Ruff pack????? HIKE ON!!!!

Miller

Generally speaking I'm always hesitant to recommend using dog packs for long hikes. A lot of dogs aren't built to carry much weight, plus the packs never seem to fit properly and most people load them up with too much weight.

That said, Ruffwear makes very well constructed packs and are what I use, take some time to find one that is the right size for and a good fit and be careful how much weight you load it with. I only make my dog carry 10-15% of her body weight max, though this can of course vary by breed and individual dog.

Sarcasm the elf
09-26-2013, 23:45
Thanks for input. Yes Dexter is a tuff one half Akita and half Shepard. we have just been practicing and he tore up the REI pack. I will bring him home the minute he want to quit hiking, and promise not to push him. Do u know it the Ruff is the same pack that REI has as their main stock item? It looks a lot like the Ruff pack????? HIKE ON!!!!

Miller

The one I have is a Ruffwear Approach, it's the green reflective dog pack that is next to the cat in this photo http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=51259&catid=member&imageuser=26465

Mine is a a few years old but looks like the same one that's in the REI outlet right now.

http://www.rei.com/product/859915/ruffwear-approach-dog-pack-2012-closeout

perrymk
09-27-2013, 12:12
Ember used a Caribou Woofer for many years. Her hiking days are behind her but the pack still has plenty of use left in it, could use a washing though. She typically only carried 5 or 6 pounds, mainly water, treats, and booties, at a bodyweight of 50-55 pounds.

stushica
09-27-2013, 12:20
I have a Ruffwear pack as well for Romeo but it's the Palisades pack with the removable saddle bags (which are awesome) I feel like the pack is huge for a dog and could easily result in over packing but it comes with compression straps to help secure things nicely. he's about 70lbs and I never have him carry more than 7-8 lbs. Hope that helps!

stushica
09-27-2013, 12:30
24201 Sorry it's sideways? But that's Romeo who is a small 70lb dog, I think he's made of rocks or something in a size medium pack.

Tipi Walter
09-27-2013, 12:33
I like the Adventure 16 pack in medium for a 50-60 lb dog. We routinely used it to haul 17 days of dog food w/o resupply.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/15-Days-with-a-Red-Hilleberg/i-rfkgGmL/0/L/TRIP%20105%20043-L.jpg

Sailing_Faith
09-27-2013, 14:22
24202Peter carried an REI pack, but I never exceeded 10% of his weight.... That was a number I read some time back and it seemed like a good guideline.

fertilizer
09-30-2013, 09:49
If you can, try it on (the dog) first. I have a 95lb Sheppard mix and bought a large, but the medium fits better which is kinda odd for such a big dog.

J

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2013, 15:09
Ive tried over 10 dog packs that have all failed in field or been worn out in a few months and the wolfpack.com packs are the end all best bomb proof pack he ahs ever had. pricey but i know he loves it

EODK9Trainer
10-02-2013, 07:18
20 lbs? How big is this dog? Unless this is a huge dog this is too much weight.

Hey all!
What dog long trail pack dp u like? No dog haters please! I returned a REI pack today that the main strap under the dogs pits ripped on one side and was torn on the other. We had Dexter carring about 20 pounds total, 10 per side. The ruff brand looks just like the REI brand, not sure though have not seen the Ruff in person, REI only had their brand in stock. I will hit the trail at Standing Bear Hostel in April to continue on with the section to K!!!!!!!! Any help will be great. HIKE ON!!!!!!!

Miller

Gambit McCrae
10-03-2013, 12:13
My dog is 85 pounds and carries about 15 pounds he loves it

Symba
10-03-2013, 12:20
two of my dogs have 'Outward Hound' packs. They fit well, though I'd recommend some modifications pertaining to each dog (i.e., make sure no rubbing under front legs, use extra padding). If I went with anything else i'd try the wolfpacks recommended by McCrae.

KarmaKrash
10-03-2013, 15:33
Ruffwear Pallisades for backpacking and 6 hour+ day hikes Ruffwear Approach for shorter hikes. The pallisades has one feature you must have. The pack detaches from the harness with 4 fastex clips. So quick and easy at lunch to just remove the pack, but leave the harness on. We do not use the water system that comes with the pack.

The harness is highly adjustable if you take the time to properly fit it each time you go out then it is the best harness out there.

Dr Gadget
10-05-2013, 20:36
24327 Bindi gets a lot of use out of her Ruffwear palisades pack but, I would like one that had more room AND it has ripped out pretty easily! I have decided that selection of dog bags just lags behind human packs!

Wise Old Owl
10-05-2013, 21:06
size is relative... Yes too much for an Irish Hound or a Borzoi - Perfect for an 80 pound work dog.

gollwoods
10-08-2013, 17:25
wolfpacks are good, at least the one I have is, Its a medium so i would not think it will fit your dog, mine is 80 lbs and he out grew it but I used it 10 years ago once. anyone think they can use it let me know

Many Moons
10-08-2013, 19:37
I weighed his pack and it is closer to 10 pounds total. He weighs about 62 pounds. This is not his hiking weight, but training weight. We have not started to gear him up for the trail yet. I just bought a Ruff Wear Pack called an Approach Pack. Not that big, but will help me keep the weight down. Did not go with the other pack they had it weighed twice as much. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

MuddyWaters
10-08-2013, 21:47
I dont know anything about dog packs.

Except, that some arent so good.

I met a couple with 2 dogs recently, that were hiking out because both dogs had lost their packs,and their food.

One totally lost his pack, the other lost just the attachable pack portion and was still wearing the rest. This happened while the dogs were roaming free when they had set up camp.

If you will let the dog roam and run around, make sure the pack wont come off, or apart if the dog chases some critter under brush, deadfalls, etc.