PDA

View Full Version : Cook pot and stove

Trebor66
09-27-2013, 11:40
If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water). I have been using the Pocket Rocket and GSI Minimalist pot. There is nothing wrong with this system and both components are bomb proof. Just looking for a change.

hikerboy57
09-27-2013, 11:44
If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water). I have been using the Pocket Rocket and GSI Minimalist pot. There is nothing wrong with this system and both components are bomb proof. Just looking for a change. if it ain't broke don't fix it. I use the same setup

Starchild
09-27-2013, 12:03
For the occasional weekend trip I would go Esbit with, if I had to buy one now, the Evernew Ti 0.9l pot, but use it with my MSR kettle. For 2 people sharing hot water Jetboil sol Ti

Tuckahoe
09-27-2013, 12:33
If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water). I have been using the Pocket Rocket and GSI Minimalist pot. There is nothing wrong with this system and both components are bomb proof. Just looking for a change.

You're correct that there's nothing wrong with your cook set up. But if you're looking for a change and just boiling water over a weekend then I'd suggest an Imusa 12cm pot and an alcohol stove made from an aluminum bottle or esbit.

Im a fan of the Imusa mug. Light weight, sturdy and pretty cheap. And along with that alcohol or esbit stove you've got a pretty lightweight and cheap option

HooKooDooKu
09-27-2013, 12:38
Perhaps the absolute best solution "just for boiling water" would be the JetBoil:
1. Stability (pot and stove link together)
2. Fuel Efficiency (heat exchanger that doubles as something of a wind screen).

But my alternate solution (because it's lighter) is an MSR Titan Kettle paired with the Snow Peak Litemax.
The titan kettle is the perfect size to hold a 4oz MSR canister.
The Litemax folds down so small that you can place it under the canister inside the kettle.
Total weight: 6 oz + fuel (4oz for the kettle, 2oz for the stove).

About the only thing lighter would be using an alcohol stove.

Starchild
09-27-2013, 13:19
Perhaps the absolute best solution "just for boiling water" would be the JetBoil:
1. Stability (pot and stove link together)
2. Fuel Efficiency (heat exchanger that doubles as something of a wind screen).

The stability of the Jetboil is great, efficiency for a thru hike or long distance hike is great as less need to resupply and less worry about running out - they last a long time, but on a weekend trip efficiency doesn't really matter. What I have benefited from however for a weekend is the rapid boil time making it ideal for larger quantities of water at once, especialy if 2 people are sharing the stove. Even if it is needed to boil 2x it seems to be faster then the alternatives, meaning both people eat sooner. Or as have heard it on the trail, the Jetboil eats first.

QiWiz
09-28-2013, 14:37
Why change? But if you want to try Esbit and/or alcohol, you just need a DIY, cottage, or commercial burner and good windscreen. Too many options to list. Personally I like a 700-1000 ml pot for solo, 1000-1400 ml for two.

zelph
09-30-2013, 14:45
Why change? But if you want to try Esbit and/or alcohol, you just need a DIY, cottage, or commercial burner and good windscreen. Too many options to list. Personally I like a 700-1000 ml pot for solo, 1000-1400 ml for two.

I think the OP should change to a quiet stove. :D One that fits the existing pot.

Trebor66
09-30-2013, 15:10
The minimalist pot fits just fine on top of the pocket rocket. Am I missing something?

Another Kevin
09-30-2013, 15:38
I am mostly a weekend hiker with just a few multinight trips a year, so I feel qualified to comment on this one. (At last, a thread for the clueless weekender!) :)

I often wind up cooking for two, for various reasons. When I do, I bring the 1.6 litre pot from a GSI Dualist set. Otherwise, I bring a K-Mart grease strainer.

In either case, in warm weather or 'shoulder season' I bring a Penny Stove 2.0. I have modified mine to make the stand into a primer dish. A few drops of burning alcohol underneath have a big effect in getting the thing to start up properly. Just a few drops, mind you! The stove makes quite an impressive fireball if it's overprimed.

In hard winter, when I might have to melt snow, I bring the bigger pot always, and a Whisperlite.

I don't like Esbit, because I can't abide the stench; it quite puts me off eating. I have a mild preference for alcohol over gas, because I can see how much fuel I have left, it's quiet, and I don't need to go to an outfitter to refill. Any hardware store or gas station will do.

The "Jetboil eats first" contingent has a point. But I'm likely to be eating late, anyway, since I often do a bit of actual cooking - heresy, I know! So I eat late, but I eat well. :)

If you're content with your setup, though, why change?

Trebor66
09-30-2013, 16:11
I'm just interested in looking at other options, that's all. I like goofing around with my gear and trying different things. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I find something new I like and I win. Maybe we need to start a new forum just for "clueless weekenders."

OCDave
09-30-2013, 17:08
Tinny at Minibull Design has an $30 cook-kit w/Alchohol stove, 12cm Imusa pot, Lid and carbon felt wind screen. It is an option worth consideration.

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=174&idcategory=4

Good Luck

OCDave
09-30-2013, 17:11
A word of caution, I started w/Tinny's $30 cook kit and now have several of his more expensive stoves. They can be a bit addictive.

Good Luck

QiWiz
09-30-2013, 17:13
I'm just interested in looking at other options, that's all. I like goofing around with my gear and trying different things. Sometimes I lose and sometimes I find something new I like and I win. Maybe we need to start a new forum just for "clueless weekenders."

If you want to go in a completely different direction, consider experimenting with a wood burner. Agree with zelph that quiet stoves are nicer than noisy ones.

hike500
10-21-2013, 03:06
Three rocks and some wood, same as a wood stove. Save your money!

GreenTurtle
10-21-2013, 04:56
It doesn't sound like you really need to change anything, but it can be awfully fun to build your own alcohol stoves. =) http://www.thesodacanstove.com/

As for pots, I like the titanium REI one I got that holds just under a liter. I posted my little setup at http://www.thesodacanstove.com/cookset/

-- Ryan

Disclaimer: Yeah, that's my website. I'm not pretending otherwise! =)

aficion
10-21-2013, 06:44
Love my cheap Coleman Max Micro Stove. A little heavy at 6.7 oz but bombproof and will boil 2 cups in 2 minutes under optimum conditions, yet will simmer too, or anything in between. Snow Peak 2 quart Cook n Save ti pot at 8.6 oz is a versatile pot and big enough to cook up a nice pot of soup. I like the plastic lid. I cook my grits for dinner and save half for breakfast.

garlic08
10-21-2013, 07:33

I respect the rare person who has an open mind!

Look at Mags' excellent article (http://www.pmags.com/stove-comparison-real-world-use) about stove choice.

One option Mags discusses above and here (http://www.pmags.com/going-stoveless-cold-food-for-thought) is going stoveless. I wish someone had told me about that earlier in my hiking career. I am not a camp cook.

q-tip
10-21-2013, 09:02
I got the OliCamp pot-saves 40% fuel with heat fins on thte bottom.....$25. 7.9 oz.--

Just Bill
10-21-2013, 09:08
Trebor- Check out the Caldera Cone Ti-Tri. It will give you an alchy, Esbit, and wood burner. You can get one sized to match your current pot, or get a new pot. http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/cones/caldera-3-fuel-wood-burners The only big ding to the Caldera Cone is that its sized to match a specific pot- but you already know what size pot works for you.

That stove will let you play with all the different fuel options. As others have mentioned, expanding your pot options is another good choice. The pocket rocket is a pretty versatile stove in terms of solo, winter solo, and group cooker if you have different pots to go with.

I recently bought a Toaks pot and have been happy with it. There are some (very) technical dings regarding the TI thickness, but for the money I'm fine with the results. http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-POT-750-Titanium-750ml-Pot/dp/B009B98FGW

If your heart is set on waterboiling canister convenience, instead of the Jetboil (nothing wrong with it really), you may consider picking up a remote canister stove. That would leave you with the option to cook in cold weather with your fuel of choice. Just make sure you buy one that allows you to invert the canister, not all remote can stoves do this, and inverting the canister is what makes it work in the cold.

CarlZ993
10-21-2013, 12:03
Nothing wrong with your setup. I own that setup as well. But, I use a 0.9L Evernew pot (lighter than Minimalist & more volume) with a Snow Peak stove (barely lighter & more compact than the Pocketrocket) for most of my short excursions. The larger pot offers more cooking options.

Trebor66
10-21-2013, 15:13
Thanks to everyone that chimed in as there is a ton of experience on this site. As I stated before there was nothing wrong with my set up and it has served well for many years. I just like experimenting and trying new things. I ended up making a alcohol stove and it works well. I'll have to play with it some more before I'm comfortable with it on a overnight trip. As for the pot, I ordered the Toaks Ti 550ml. This should be the right size for solo freezer bag meals and it comes with a lid. All for 28 bucks. Win!!

Weather-man
10-22-2013, 07:04
I got the OliCamp pot-saves 40% fuel with heat fins on thte bottom.....$25. 7.9 oz.--

Have you ever tried using this in a fire, instead of a stove? I've always shied away from the jet-boil systems because I like to use my Ti pot in a fire if one's available. This looks pretty durable and I wonder if it could be dual-used without destroying the fins or warping; on a stove as the primary and in some coals if so desired?

zelph
10-22-2013, 13:32
I respect the rare person who has an open mind!

One option Mags discusses above is going stoveless. I wish someone had told me about that earlier in my hiking career. I am not a camp cook.

Mags was not being his right frame of mind when he talks "stoveless":banana

Odd Man Out
10-22-2013, 13:49
Have you ever tried using this in a fire, instead of a stove? I've always shied away from the jet-boil systems because I like to use my Ti pot in a fire if one's available. This looks pretty durable and I wonder if it could be dual-used without destroying the fins or warping; on a stove as the primary and in some coals if so desired?

I have not used it, but this looks to be the exact same pot, without the heat exchanger. It would be interesting to get both and test to see how effective the fins are.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BISBCXC/ref=asc_df_B00BISBCXC2782130?smid=A1UJOHKTS8SVG9&tag=shopzilla_mp_1226-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B00BISBCXC

LIhikers
10-23-2013, 23:45
If you were mostly a weekend hiker with a few multi night trips a year what cook pot and stove combo would you choose? (Just for boiling water).

That describes me and the wife pretty well. For 3 season trips we use a K-Mart grease pot on an Etowah II alcohol stove with a good fitting wind screen. During the winter we use an MSR Simmerlite stove instead of the Etowah.

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2013, 23:53
Three rocks and some wood, same as a wood stove. Save your money!

Really did you give that a thought? - mean... and to be honest - without the sides you need two to three times wood.

slbirdnerd
10-24-2013, 08:17
I use GSI Dualist pot (most of the crap that comes with it stays home) and Pocket Rocket. I have thought about switching too, I got the Dualist with taking my son in mind and he has begged out of the whole backpacking thing. Still, the Minimalist doesn't weigh much less, and I can pack my entire kitchen in the Dualist pot: fuel, stove, bowl, bear line, piece of dish rag, lighter. It just works well

Sure the Rocket is loud, but it's FAST!

Durtydan
10-24-2013, 13:17
if you want a change of pace, try a wood burner stove. takes a bit more technique than a pocket rocket but its fun and on a weekend trip, you can fiddle around more with weight if you want to have pocket rocket as backup stove. I use the emberlit el-mini and love goin out and cooking with it for weekends, getting better burns and fires every time.

as a second note on the wood burners, the minimalist fits perfectly on the el mini and the best part of that combo is the paired cozy that come with the pot keeps any and all soot off of your hands, fixing the problem my imusa constantly had.

CarlZ993
10-25-2013, 12:15
Mags was not being his right frame of mind when he talks "stoveless":banana
...says a man who sells stoves! :)

FYI - I used one of your stoves on the AT this year. Fancee Feast stove. Worked like a charm.

WILLIAM HAYES
10-25-2013, 19:40
I use a wally world grease pot and a home made tea light alcohol stove weighs next to nothing and has severed me well for years

jimmyjam
10-25-2013, 20:12
For just boiling water I use a supercat can stove ( just an empty can of cat food with two rows of holes from a paper punch near the top, google jim woods supercat) and a msr titan kettle. it doesn't get much lighter or simpler than that. Boils 2 cups of water in 6 minutes on 1 ounce of alcohol.

Starchild
10-25-2013, 21:04

Jetboil works fine on a open fire if you remove the cozy, the fins help the boil time as it does with the normal burner fire. I also have been able to run the jetboil pot using alcohol fuel.

Weather-man
10-26-2013, 16:55
Jetboil works fine on a open fire if you remove the cozy, the fins help the boil time as it does with the normal burner fire. I also have been able to run the jetboil pot using alcohol fuel.

Thanks and this is good info.

zelph
10-27-2013, 15:56

Did you put it on top of a grate or directly into the coals?

Starchild
10-27-2013, 16:31
Did you put it on top of a grate or directly into the coals?

On top of wood where the flames can 'lick' it, sometimes very intensely.

I don't know if it would be OK to put it directly in hot coals as the fins are aluminum (even with the titanium models), and if the coals contact them I could see them getting damaged.

MuddyWaters
10-27-2013, 18:07
solo - zelph ridgeline fosters flat bottom, tealight stove
duo - 1.3L evernew, larger tealight stove

Occassionally a gnat cannister stove with the 1.3L evernew for duo
Or a gnat cannister with a 600 snowpeak or a small SS cup for solo

all depends. Most of the time, light wins

No cook is really a good option.

Since have to eat everything, how much to cook? Sometimes 5oz, sometimes 4, sometimes 3. Having to choke down food you dont want or like, sucks. Sometimes I can eat a whole mountainhouse no problem. When in doubt, dont cook it. I will save 1/2 of a MH in a ziplock if I dont think Im hungry enough to eat all of it.

dla
11-05-2013, 10:43

Great pot. Another similar pot, (but with a small pan/lid) is the Optimus HE Terra Weekender ~$30. Heat exchanger pots are worth it in my opinion.

TAG
11-05-2013, 14:35
I like to experiment with different cook systems. Try an alcohol setup. Figure it out at home and then take it on a low stress weekend trip. The first time out the door with a cat food can and a bottle of heet can be intimidating, but they really do work and the lack of moving parts is awesome.

Trebor66
11-05-2013, 15:26
I like to experiment with different cook systems. Try an alcohol setup. Figure it out at home and then take it on a low stress weekend trip. The first time out the door with a cat food can and a bottle of heet can be intimidating, but they really do work and the lack of moving parts is awesome.

I was on YouTube the other day and saw a alcohol stove made from a aluminum water bottle. I liked the way it looked and worked. I'm going to make one this weekend.

Trebor66
11-22-2013, 17:16
Here's the final product. Your thoughts.25015

Another Kevin
11-22-2013, 17:42
That looks nice. Even if I personally prefer a topburner.

I know that it costs me another ounce or so for the pot stand. I think that over a few days it all evens out, because I can cook over the stove while it's still priming. And if someone has a wood fire going, I can scrape out a few hot coals and use the pot stand as a trivet to hold the pot over them.

Tried it in cold temperatures yet? That's the acid test for an alcohol stove.

Trebor66
11-22-2013, 18:33
Thanks for the feedback. No, I haven't tried it in the field or in cold temps yet, just in the kitchen. I'll be heading up Blood Mountain in a few days. I'll test it out then.

Odd Man Out
11-23-2013, 00:16
Thanks for the feedback. No, I haven't tried it in the field or in cold temps yet, just in the kitchen. I'll be heading up Blood Mountain in a few days. I'll test it out then.

Don't forget to try it with the windscreen. The windscreen has as much to do with stove performance as does the stove. The pot, stove, stand, and screen all work together as a complete system.

Also, you can use a stand with a sideburner. If you arrange to have the pot suspended one or two millimeters above the stove, you will get more power out of the stove. Also you can put the pot on the stove without having to wait for the stove to bloom/prime. Also, you avoid having the cold pot of water act a big heat sink to shut down your alcohol vaporization. For me, it help me from tipping over my pot because I'm a clutz. Spilled a whole pot of rice and beans once. I left a trace. :mad:

keepinitsimple
11-26-2013, 10:36
Esbit tab, find 3 rocks, and the cheapest pot you can find. Boy scout mess kit pot works well. Whole set up weighs very little, costs are low, its very durable, never let me down.

soulrebel
11-26-2013, 11:40
Toaks 550ml cookkit with ti screen, esbit burner, foldable ti spoon, 3 micro bags/1 pot bag total 4.2oz that will also hold alcohol but it takes a couple reloads...For my main alcohol stove, i like minibulldesigns bios micro.

The imusa pot is alright, and the lid he provides is cool. The carbon felt is a great windscreen/ potholder but it can get wet and moldy... and leave lil hairs in your pot.

Another great standard would be the MSR titan kettle. For propane-burners I like the snowpeak litemax Ti 1.9oz foldup arms with no pointy parts...

zelph
11-26-2013, 14:09
[QUOTE=soulrebel;1820662]
The imusa pot is alright, and the lid he provides is cool. The carbon felt is a great windscreen/ potholder but it can get wet and moldy... and leave lil hairs in your pot.

That's an interesting bit of info on carbon felt windscreens...........thank you:) especially about lil hairs in your pot.

Namtrag
11-26-2013, 15:21
Yeah, all we have done is weekend hikes, and we just went with the Jetboil. It was our first and only stove, since we have only been at this for one year. We started with Mountain House, but are now dehydrating our own meals for the most part and just rehydrating them in the freezer bag/cozy.

Sometimes we think about cooking like a few others do on our trips, but it just seems simpler to use our stove just to boil water. The side benefit is how fast we can get a cup of coffee in the morning! lol

I do have to admit I get jealous of the guy in our group who cooks pancakes every morning on the trail using his pocket rocket and light weight frying pan.

Praha4
11-27-2013, 10:54
nothing wrong with the setup you've been using. It's personal preference. I use a Snow Peak Litemax stove with the Snow Peak Mini-Solo Titanium cookset. This system works great. But I just ordered the Evernew 0.9L titanium pot, it's slightly larger than the Mini-Solo pot, and shaped better for mixing stuff in the pot, when using it for more than just boiling water.

Trebor66
11-28-2013, 14:43
nothing wrong with the setup you've been using. It's personal preference. I use a Snow Peak Litemax stove with the Snow Peak Mini-Solo Titanium cookset. This system works great. But I just ordered the Evernew 0.9L titanium pot, it's slightly larger than the Mini-Solo pot, and shaped better for mixing stuff in the pot, when using it for more than just boiling water.

You're right, there is nothing wrong with my current set up. I just enjoy hoofing around with new things and seeing if they work better. I made a alcohol stove from a aluminum water bottle (pictured earlier in this thread) as well as purchasing a titanium pot. With these new additions to my kit I think I have the best of both worlds. But then again I may get bored after a while and want to experiment with something else.