PDA

View Full Version : healthy sports drinks & sodium

Crazy_Al
08-14-2005, 10:56
I am concerned about what is a very good sports drink. I noticed that a lot of them, particularly Gatorade, has a lot of sodium. Is not high sodium is bad for people with high blood pressure ??? I have high blood pressure. What is a very good sports drink???

jackiebolen
08-14-2005, 11:13
Best Sport Drink: Water, save your money.

SGT Rock
08-14-2005, 11:15
Someone sent me some of this stuff to Iraq: http://www.doctorstrust.com/item/AL2441-1.html

It was a great pick-me-up.

soulrebel
08-14-2005, 12:07
salt is not bad, and modern language proves it's value since ancient times---The roman word "salary" actually means--"to be paid in salt" as Roman soldiers were given a ration of salt as part of their regular pay.

Here's a favorite variety: http://www.celticseasalt.com/
sea salt has trace minerals and some other electrolytes so better than just iodized table salt...

In the least, if you're sweating heavy and outdoors in the summer heat--sea salt, lava salt, endurolytes are a nice addition to a carbo beverage of your choice...

I'll use whatever available for long workouts up to 3 hours, but in general the hotter and longer I'm going to be out there--I'm more tolerable to gels w/ water or gatorade/perpeteum/mango/pomegranate/coconut water --- or usually a combo---

p.s.-run out of sodium and other electrolytes and hello CRAMPS!!! and an overall feeling of tiredness..--

my other secret is whey or goat aminos 1000mg's an hour---b/c endurox/accelerade taste way tooo sweet for 4/1 carb/protein beverage...

sucrose is High GI and easily assimilated, fructose can make some people feel quesy after awhile, molasses, honey, maple syrup, brown rice syrup (clif gel) all are natural have trace elements --- cheap

shoot for 200-400 calories an hour as you exercise--remember "fat burns in a carbohydrate flame"

however if you're a couch potato and eat lotsa packaged food, fast food, you probably can do w/ water for short ventures...

max patch
08-14-2005, 14:53
I am concerned about what is a very good sports drink. I noticed that a lot of them, particularly Gatorade, has a lot of sodium. Is not high sodium is bad for people with high blood pressure ??? I have high blood pressure. What is a very good sports drink???

I switched from Gatorade to Powerade which has about half the amount of sodium as Gatorade. I also use only half the amount of powder as called for in the instructions.

I was 15 lbs overweight. When I lost this weight I noticed a consistent 10 point reduction in my upper BP number.

Programbo
08-14-2005, 20:21
Everyone needs sodium to live regardless of blood pressure..I am a heart patient and even I am allowed near 2000 mg sodium a day under normal conditions...I`ve heard of distance runners dying because all they drank was water when in fact they were sweating out all the sodium and potassium in their body and diluting themselves more and more with plain water..If you aren`t sweating alot then perhaps you could use a less salty drink

NICKTHEGREEK
08-14-2005, 20:29
I switched from Gatorade to Powerade which has about half the amount of sodium as Gatorade. I also use only half the amount of powder as called for in the instructions.

I was 15 lbs overweight. When I lost this weight I noticed a consistent 10 point reduction in my upper BP number.
I second the powerade, I haven't tried the powder but I mix the liquid 50/50 with water.

Crazy_Al
08-16-2005, 21:43
1234567890123???1234567890123

Jack Tarlin
08-16-2005, 22:09
Interesting thread...

Incidentally, Roman soldiers weren't paid in salt, and "salary" doesn't mean "to be paid in salt." The word actually derives from the word "salarium" which was an allowance soldiers were given so that they could purchase salt. The salarium was part but certainly not all of their pay. Like soldiers everywhere, they preferred that their wages take the form of hard currency, and this was how they were usually compensated.

Oh, and back to the subject at hand: I think that most physicians are in universal agreement that the best sports beverage available is water.

Dances with Mice
08-16-2005, 23:06
Jack’s hallmark is his knowledge of history. He’s definitely worth his salt. Have a salad on me!

teachergal
08-16-2005, 23:15
but when one is hiking or doing a lot of excersice and sweating a lot...I'm thinking like a long day hike in the heat/humidity of summer...one does need to replenish sodium...you can achieve this through sports drinks, or salty snacks, or whatever.

Personally I prefer to drink gatorade - and I try to drink a little before, during and after my hikes and I feel lots better than I do if I don't. One time I went on a long day hike (11 miles) and it was hot and while I drank enough water I didn't eat enough or something and got pretty sick - I felt so bad when I finished and had a pounding headache - though the help of some friends it was determined that I was salt-deprived and I should have continued stuffing my face with Fritos after the hike rather than feeling guilty for eating such high fat food!!!!!

Another time I ate nearly an entire can of salt and Vingar pringles folllowing a long hot day hike to Grinnell Glacer in Glacier National Park and I HATE salt and vingear potato chips!!!!! I'd only had water to drink all day and was very salt deprived (a few Margarita's later that evening served to further remedy to salt deprivation).

So I guess my point is high blood pressure or not you should consume extra salt when taking long day hikes or backpacking, esp in the heat/humidty, although you might want to check with your doctor.

Chip
08-24-2005, 20:50
I drink alot of water and Gatorade , 50 / 50. No problems with BP. Per the other post I just might try the Powerade drink too. :)

mapenshorn
08-25-2005, 14:38
Water is best - most of the time. The body creates ATP (energy) through the sodium/potassium pump. The level of sodium in a product like Gatorade should not cause concern in a person who is exercising. Keeping hydrated and getting minerals in your body is the best way to stay energetic through extended exercise. Water alone while exercising is not enough to maintain proper levels in ones system. Personally, I usually hike on a steady diet of noodles, nuts, banannas and water with a big ol' hunk of meat thrown in.