PDA

View Full Version : your ideal 2 person tent that fits two people

xalex
09-29-2013, 02:57
just wondering if there were any true two person tents that are ideally lightweight and affordable?

OzJacko
09-29-2013, 03:03
Depends on size of people.
My TarpTent (Double Rainbow) is genuinely large enough for two but I couldn't share it comfortably with my son as he has a 25 inch wide mattress and it pushed me into the side wall too much.
Two 20 inch mattresses - no problem.

stranger
09-29-2013, 04:34
just wondering if there were any true two person tents that are ideally lightweight and affordable?

The answer is yes, and it's a relative question.

The two things that make tents light are:
- materials (expensive materials)
- minimal amount of materials used (space, or lack thereof)

So your question is a little of an oxymoron as a affordable tent generally won't use the lightest materials, and a 'true two person' tent most likely refers to having some extra room to spread out, which will mean a heavier tent.

If $300 is affordable, I would consider this...

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/jackrabbitsl2

If you can't swing $300, I would strongly recommend something like the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, this tent probably has more AT miles than any other tent ever, and priced at $170ish, but I wouldn't call it roomy.

You an also check out the Eureka Spitfire 2, very cheap and will do the job for 2

Train Wreck
09-29-2013, 04:44
Lightheart Duo!
Room for two people (up to 6' tall), full-size sleeping pads, AND their packs inside, and only weighs 2 lbs. Cost $295.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

Tuckahoe
09-29-2013, 07:22

You may want to define what you mean by lightweight and affordable. Usually the cheaper a 2 person tent is, the more it will weigh. And I would consider $300 + affordable when considering a tent for two people.

Lightheart Duo!
Room for two people (up to 6' tall), full-size sleeping pads, AND their packs inside, and only weighs 2 lbs. Cost $295.

http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12

I was going to post the Duo as well. It falls within the same price range as most other 2 person tents from larger companies, with a listed weight that at 2 pounds is half what most all other 2 person tents weigh. My personal experience is with the Solo, and I thought it was a great, well made tent.

As well, the customer service from Judy and her husband at Lightheart is great.

Namtrag
09-29-2013, 13:57
Our MSR Hoop is really roomy

Mr. Bumpy
09-29-2013, 15:45
I always try to pinch pennies on backpacking gear but last spring I stepped up from the 200-300 price range that I usually am looking in for a tent and got what I consider an expensive tent. I got a BA Copper Spur 3 which retails for around 500 bones. I used the 20% rei coupon and my dividends and got out the door for less than 400 including a ground cloth and tax. Every time I set it up I am impressed with the quality and little features that are not present on lower priced tents. Whenever I spend a night exposed with sideways blowing rain I am even more impressed. I can't say enough good about this tent as a true two person (plus dog) tent and wish I would have stepped up on the price point sooner.

xalex
09-29-2013, 16:12
I always try to pinch pennies on backpacking gear but last spring I stepped up from the 200-300 price range that I usually am looking in for a tent and got what I consider an expensive tent. I got a BA Copper Spur 3 which retails for around 500 bones. I used the 20% rei coupon and my dividends and got out the door for less than 400 including a ground cloth and tax. Every time I set it up I am impressed with the quality and little features that are not present on lower priced tents. Whenever I spend a night exposed with sideways blowing rain I am even more impressed. I can't say enough good about this tent as a true two person (plus dog) tent and wish I would have stepped up on the price point sooner.

Where do you get a 20% off coupon for REI!?

We are looking at the copper spur but thought the copper spur 2 might be enough for 2 people, especially with the vestibules? How much extra space or value is there in the 3 person to you?

I guess I should have been more clear in what we're looking for.. price really isn't an issue, it would just be ideal if it was cheaper.

Two doors is ideal, freestanding, ultralight is a plus but also want something that's durable and can last. It sounds like the copper spur meets most of what we're looking for but was wondering if there was something better out there. thank you for your replies

OCDave
09-29-2013, 16:26
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

I own a Tarptent Stratospire 2 - 40 oz, $325 and huge enclosed space. Very versitile for varied rain, bug conditions. Like a 5-start room on a 3-star budget.

Good Luck

Mr. Bumpy
09-29-2013, 16:29
CS2 does fit two reasonably well, better than a lot of other tents advertised as 2p, but you will still be touching the walls and your you couldn't bring gear inside. On days that we have been pinned down by weather or on those looong winter nights we really appreciated the extra space. I don't remember there being much of a weight penalty going from the CS2 to CS3, and I have never regretted getting the bigger one. And yes, I think you are right about 2 door. We used to have a front entry Clip. The single door saves a bit of weight, but it is a pain to get in and out of, and the two doors are more versatile and give easy access.
The rei coupon comes out twice a year for members. You might get one when you join as well.

Last Call
09-29-2013, 16:32
I also have the Copper Spur UL2, it's great for me & my 8 y.o., but for 2 adults I would go for the Copper Spur 3.

Astro
09-29-2013, 19:29
I bought the Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 for me and my son. We fit our packs in also. Now more than enough room for just me, so I am looking to switch to a BA Fly Creek 1, or something else.

HooKooDooKu
09-29-2013, 19:35
About twice a year, members get a 20% off of one item (good for a very limited time).
So if you KNOW what you want, and you're willing to wait 6 to 9 months to get it, you can get it 20% off at REI.
It's how I afforded a NeoAir Large.

LIhikers
09-29-2013, 20:26
My wife and I use a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
Not only is it roomy and lightweight, but there's room for our 100 pound dog and some gear too.
Yes I know it's made for 3 people, but with 2 there's lots of elbow room.

rick2911
09-29-2013, 20:31
I have a Kelty Trail Ridge 2. It's big enough for two and very roomy when it is just me. And big enough for my two boys (6 yr olds) and me .

OzJacko
09-29-2013, 21:16
As well as TT Double Rainbow I have TT Rainshadow 2 AND a Copper Spur 2.
Rainshadow 2 is enormous for weight but I would call it a two and a half season tent.
The Copper Spur 2 I consider a fantastic tent and I love it - for me alone.
I think it would only really be something I could recommend for two reasonably thin people (height is good to well over six feet in all of these tents). It would be OK if both slept on mummy shaped mats as two full mats would get "tight" at the narrow end.

HooKooDooKu
09-29-2013, 22:22
If the answer was yes, then everyone would be buying the same tent.
So it really becomes a personal taste in what tent has the right mix of weight, quality, features, and cost.

What I can tell you is that if you research tents online, when you look at the specifications for size (of rectangular tents), they will be quoting the corners of where the support poles are, not the usable inside dimensions of the tent. As an example, I needed a 3 man tent for me and my sons. I use a large sleeping pad (25") and both sons use a standard sleeping pad (20"). So I needed a tent that was 65" wide. The specifications for a Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 is 66". Sounds tight but is should fit. But when I got a chance to see the Drifter 3 in person, it was IMPOSSIBLE to fit a large and two regular sleeping pads inside the tent.

Here's what I can tell you. I've had a Kelty Vortex (for-runner to the Gunnison) and it has been a huge tent for two people, plenty of room. The specifications for the Gunnison is 93"x57". That is a great size tent. But it is also a 6lb tent for $200. Compare that to the BA Copper Spur and it is only 90"x52", half the weight and twice the price.

I would say that those are your two extremes. You'll need to pick one of those two tents, or start looking for something in between.

OzJacko
09-29-2013, 22:52
For the criteria of the OP (price, size etc), I strongly recommend the TT Double Rainbow. $250 I think.
But I will continue to use the BA Copper Spur as MY tent.
I will probably go with one of the TarpTents if I am with my wife.

Franco
09-29-2013, 23:03
Some floor plans need to be interpreted a bit..
The width of a tent floor is measured at the corner.
Looking at photos of the tent set up you may notice that often the floor is not a rectangle but a "concave rectangle" therefore both length and width are less at the center than on the sides.
Like this :
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Concavefloor_zps53dfe839.jpg

Lone Wolf
09-30-2013, 04:59
works for me
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product

slbirdnerd
09-30-2013, 08:21
The Big Agnes Scout UL2 is VERY roomy. It has a couple shortcomings, but worth looking into. We have that for my son and I, I have the BA Fly Creek UL2 for just me.

Starvin Marvin
09-30-2013, 08:34
You can also look at Six Moon Designs tents. They make the Lunar Duo. It has vertical side walls that allows for much more useable interior space than some of the others mentioned here. You can easily fit 2 full length 25" pads and still have room for all your gear inside. Plus, both happy campers can sit up at the same time without touching the side walls. A true luxury for sure.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 08:35
works for me
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba-hubba/product

Works for me too....

HooKooDooKu
09-30-2013, 11:11
Some floor plans need to be interpreted a bit..
Sometimes you have to check multiple websites just to know what the floor plan is...
I've run into a instances where the spec gave a single length and width of a tent, but the tent wasn't rectangular.

Case-in-point: Kelty Salida 2
The REI web site simply states a floor of 88"x55". (http://www.rei.com/product/819973/kelty-salida-2-tent)
But the Campmor web site includes a diagram showing the shape to be trapezoidal. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28008#)

stranger
10-01-2013, 00:03

We are looking at the copper spur but thought the copper spur 2 might be enough for 2 people, especially with the vestibules? How much extra space or value is there in the 3 person to you?

I guess I should have been more clear in what we're looking for.. price really isn't an issue, it would just be ideal if it was cheaper.

Two doors is ideal, freestanding, ultralight is a plus but also want something that's durable and can last. It sounds like the copper spur meets most of what we're looking for but was wondering if there was something better out there. thank you for your replies

Copper Spur 2 would be my top recommendation, I recommended the cheaper option cause I thought money was an issue.

stranger
10-01-2013, 00:05
You can also look at Six Moon Designs tents. They make the Lunar Duo. It has vertical side walls that allows for much more useable interior space than some of the others mentioned here. You can easily fit 2 full length 25" pads and still have room for all your gear inside. Plus, both happy campers can sit up at the same time without touching the side walls. A true luxury for sure.

It's also single wall, it's light for a reason...great tent but has drawbacks for some (I don't mind single wall)

xalex
10-03-2013, 22:26
random question: how do you recommend managing condensation in the morning with the ba copper spur? it seems like it wouldn't be that light after condensation is considered.

any tips??

Mr. Bumpy
10-03-2013, 22:51
Every tent is prone to condensation. In my experience over 30 years of cycle touring and backpacking using probably a dozen tents and the CS3 is better than average.

xalex
10-03-2013, 23:40
thats true. i guess i was just wondering if there might be a good way to manage it in the morning or otherwise since the water would seem to add a fair amount of weight given that its a large amount of material. do you wipe it down or just shake it out or something even better?

bigcranky
10-04-2013, 07:06
Lunar Duo. We've tried a lot of others, and this is our favorite. YMMV.

Condensation: we carry a small piece of packtowel to wipe down the tent, inside and out, on mornings with heavy condensation. Not a big deal. Again, YMMV -- some hikers hate condensation.

colorado_rob
10-04-2013, 12:12
About twice a year, members get a 20% off of one item (good for a very limited time).
So if you KNOW what you want, and you're willing to wait 6 to 9 months to get it, you can get it 20% off at REI.
It's how I afforded a NeoAir Large. Funny timing... just got email this morning from REI, 20% off one full price item for members until 10/14. Coupon code is fallmem13.

solobip
10-04-2013, 16:33
+++++++1 Lightheart Duo.

xalex
10-07-2013, 14:01
We went ahead with the copper spur UL2 - with the 20% coupon :D
Any tips on dealing with condensation weight are still welcome =)

grateful 2
10-07-2013, 17:36
Lunar Duo. We've tried a lot of others, and this is our favorite. YMMV.

Condensation: we carry a small piece of packtowel to wipe down the tent, inside and out, on mornings with heavy condensation. Not a big deal. Again, YMMV -- some hikers hate condensation. BTW, IMHO, IDK - What is YMMV?

jeffmeh
10-07-2013, 18:53
Your Mileage May Vary

T-Rx
10-07-2013, 19:04
My wife and I use a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
Not only is it roomy and lightweight, but there's room for our 100 pound dog and some gear too.
Yes I know it's made for 3 people, but with 2 there's lots of elbow room.

+1 on the Rainshadow. My wife and I like the extra room and it is still only about 2 lbs.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2013, 19:27
Depends on your definitions.

For me, light weight would be under 3 lbs, and must be able to be split between 2 people, not a 1-piece tent.

I would consider $600 affordable for the right tent. I look at the difference between purchase and resale when evaluating purchases, not just purchase price. High end quality products have excellent resale, because so many want them but dont want to spend full price.

Low end products, have poorer usually. If I can buy a tent for $500, use it 2 yrs, and sell it for $350 thats no different from buying one for $250, using it and reselling it for $100, except that I got to use a lighter, better tent for the same $ spent.

Franco
10-07-2013, 19:45
For me, light weight would be under 3 lbs, and must be able to be split between 2 people, not a 1-piece tent.

Is that to make things a bit more interesting if both thought the other had the poles or the stakes ?

MuddyWaters
10-07-2013, 19:56

Is that to make things a bit more interesting if both thought the other had the poles or the stakes ?

Not just a question of weight distribution. We only use packs with side water bottle pockets. Poles can always go vertically behind a water bottle.
Its bulk in one persons pack, and poorer ability to dry out the inside of the tent when wet.

Franco
10-07-2013, 20:03
poorer ability to dry out the inside of the tent when wet.

I see.good point.
That is when an inner that can be taken down with the fly in place comes handy, particularly on a rainy morning.
So you get up , unhook the inner shove that in one pack and give the fly some ventilation or a wipe down after that.
Not many tents can do that but I know of a brand that does ...(OK, more than one...)

MuddyWaters
10-07-2013, 20:11
poorer ability to dry out the inside of the tent when wet.

I see.good point.
That is when an inner that can be taken down with the fly in place comes handy, particularly on a rainy morning.
So you get up , unhook the inner shove that in one pack and give the fly some ventilation or a wipe down after that.
Not many tents can do that but I know of a brand that does ...(OK, more than one...)

Or to dry out a wet floor
Or to use the floor/inner as a groundcloth sleeping in a shelter

OzJacko
10-07-2013, 21:10
[/LIST]

Or to dry out a wet floor
Or to use the floor/inner as a groundcloth sleeping in a shelter
Don't you have a groundsheet for the tent that could do that job?
If not I can see why you sell your tents every couple of years.

atmilkman
10-07-2013, 21:18
BTW, IMHO, IDK - What is YMMV?

Your Mileage May Vary

That ain't what LW told me.

SipseyFreak
10-07-2013, 21:21
Big Agnes FlyCreek UL2 fits two 20-inch pads and slept comfortably on the Timberline Trail in Oregon. It ain't roomy, but it's only 20-or-so ozs.

hikerboy57
10-07-2013, 21:25
Big Agnes FlyCreek UL2 fits two 20-inch pads and slept comfortably on the Timberline Trail in Oregon. It ain't roomy, but it's only 20-or-so ozs.
mine is 2lbs,2oz with the poles and stakes

SipseyFreak
10-07-2013, 21:27
Yeah, what HB said is more accurate ... I was just thinking about the fly and poles ...

hikerboy57
10-07-2013, 21:35
Yeah, what HB said is more accurate ... I was just thinking about the fly and poles ...
either way it ws a gret tent that has served me well. i replaced it with the lightheart solong 6 which weighs 2oz less, but has a much larger floor area and higher walls.can fit two a bit better than the fly creek ul2