PDA

View Full Version : Early November peak color

Coffee
09-29-2013, 09:28
I may be able to get away for a 5-7 day hike in the first week of November. In my experience, SNP is already past peak color at that time along the AT corridor as well as peaks like Old Rag so I'm thinking of heading south to where the fall color might be better, but I'm not quite sure where that would be. I was thinking of potentially driving to Damascus and heading north on the AT since I've never seen they Grayson Highlands. Maybe do a loop or figure out a shuttle. Is this good timing in terms of fall color?

johnnybgood
09-29-2013, 14:10
I believe the colors will be past peak in any elevation above 2000 ft by November. I'm not saying there won't be any, but by early indications the colors are already ahead of schedule.

illabelle
09-29-2013, 14:16
on the other hand, Grayson Highlands is ALWAYS nice! and the ponies are friendly. :)

Coffee
09-29-2013, 14:38
I believe the colors will be past peak in any elevation above 2000 ft by November. I'm not saying there won't be any, but by early indications the colors are already ahead of schedule.

You are probably right. Other other possibility I was thinking of is taking Amtrak/bus connection to Roanoke and hiking north toward Rockfish Gap. I think that there are some lower elevations along that path since the James River crossing is on the way and a low point on the AT.

daddytwosticks
09-29-2013, 15:29
There may still be some colors down around the Springer Mountain/Three Forks area of North Georgia. :)

HooKooDooKu
09-29-2013, 22:01
In the Smoky Mountains, the fall color starts at the upper elevations the 1st of October and the show is generally over at the lower elevations by the end of October.

So if you want to see fall colors in November, you'll need to be farther south around the start of the AT, or some other southern trails like the Pinhoti.