PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you do in your tent in October...

bangorme
09-29-2013, 22:20
I missed most of this summer due to an ankle injury (related to fishing, not backpacking). So, now I'm thinking about doing the 100 mile wilderness in October. With it getting dark around 6:15 by then, that makes for a long night in the tent. What do you all do in there? I'll be going alone, so don't get too creative. ;)

Trailweaver
09-29-2013, 22:51
Read. Paperbacks aren't too heavy for the entertainment. If you don't read, take cards or another lightweight game. Or a journal.

dmax
09-29-2013, 23:51
You could take the time to learn a skill ..... Example, map and compass ... Or, eat before dark then hike a couple of more hours with a head lamp. It's a fun experience.

dmax
09-29-2013, 23:52
Tie some flies, or whittle some floats ...

ChinMusic
09-30-2013, 00:17
I have the gift of sleeping 12 hours

Old Boots
09-30-2013, 00:42
MP3 player loaded with audiobooks.

aficion
09-30-2013, 03:34
MP3 player loaded with audiobooks.

I frequently build and tend a small fire where legal, and enjoy it until my first yawn, whereupon I extinguish said fire and take to my sleeping bag.

I don't actually do this in my tent however.

Lone Wolf
09-30-2013, 04:53
crossword puzzles

stranger
09-30-2013, 05:41
Change your schedule and start going to bed at 8pm, get up at 4-5am

T.S.Kobzol
09-30-2013, 06:02
Read my kindle and listen to my radio

Bumblebee Tuna

daddytwosticks
09-30-2013, 07:13
This is one of the negatives of hiking in the fall...long hours of darkness. It's already been suggested. Build a fire as entertainment. :)

Drybones
09-30-2013, 07:15

+1.....................

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2013, 08:05

My hiking buddy has the same gift and i'm thoroughly jealous. I can pretend to sleep for 12 hours while backpacking in the winter, but without fail i wake up at least a half dozen times.

FarmerChef
09-30-2013, 08:05
We hike until almost done, timing it so we can make camp, build our fire (where legal) and get dinner prepped to be eaten just as it's becoming headlamp time. Then we finish our camp chores, enjoy the fire and crawl into bed around 8:00 - the new hiker midnight when the days are short.

Sarcasm the elf
09-30-2013, 08:06
To the OP, my suggestions are read a paperback by headlamp, then Ipod shuffle and benedryl to go to sleep.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 08:38
I frequently build and tend a small fire where legal, and enjoy it until my first yawn, whereupon I extinguish said fire and take to my sleeping bag.

This.......................................LOVE this!

Tipi Walter
09-30-2013, 08:51
This is one of the negatives of hiking in the fall...long hours of darkness. It's already been suggested. Build a fire as entertainment. :)

To me this is the least thing to be bothered with while backpacking. More darkness and colder temps mean nothing to the ambitious backpacker---he or she just accepts it as part of Miss Nature's beauty. And winter is coming so get used to it. As others have said, bring a couple used books and burn them as you read. Take a radio. Make tea and early morning coffee. Sit in yoga and do some meditation---meditation is all about darkness. Keep a journal. Look thru your fantastic camera pics---take plenty of extra camera batts. For cold nights bring a little 3-hour candle to warm your hands and fingers as you sit up on the pad. If you feel safe and have a good headlamp, do some night hiking---this is easier to do on the AT than on other trails.

I was out for a short 12 day trip in September in TN and the biggest negative was hearing the roar of overhead jets all day and into the night.

perrymk
09-30-2013, 09:07
Might be a good time to get an astronomy chart and see of you can find some constellations. Maybe bring a small telescope (or strong binocular/monocular) and view the moon and try to find a planet.

Marmaduke
09-30-2013, 09:21
I always go for an after-dinner hike just to check out the area, maybe some side trails..... then I'll come back to the tent. In the tent..... well I'm usually so tired from the day of hiking that I am out like a light rather quickly!

tiptoe
09-30-2013, 10:48
Sudoku, and then sleep.

Slo-go'en
09-30-2013, 11:37
We hike until almost done, timing it so we can make camp, build our fire (where legal) and get dinner prepped to be eaten just as it's becoming headlamp time. Then we finish our camp chores, enjoy the fire and crawl into bed around 8:00 - the new hiker midnight when the days are short.

In northen Maine, in October, it's starting to get dark about 6:30 PM and doesn't get light until 7 AM. It's even worse depending on where you are due to obstructions like ridges and dense pine tree groves. You end up doing a lot of hiking during the twilight and camping in the dark.

But what to do? Fire/read/sleep. Mostly sleep.

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 11:56
stargazing.assuming a clear night.cloud gazing is boring.
pretty cool when you realize the star thats moving is a satellite

illabelle
09-30-2013, 12:00
I remember a fall hike in Shenandoah. We arrived at our destination, set up the tent, ate our supper, cleaned up, hung our food, changed our clothes, and went to bed. After sleeping for a long long time, we checked a watch - 10:00pm!!! UGH!!! We groaned! We tossed and turned and dozed and turned some more until it was finally over. It's funny now, sort of.

I agree with others above:
Reading material, puzzle or game, talking (if you have a partner or if you enjoy talking to yourself), hiking longer to get worn out so sleep comes easier...

illabelle
09-30-2013, 12:00
pretty cool when you realize the star thats moving is a satellite

Oh yeah!...

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 12:38
I remember a fall hike in Shenandoah. We arrived at our destination, set up the tent, ate our supper, cleaned up, hung our food, changed our clothes, and went to bed. After sleeping for a long long time, we checked a watch - 10:00pm!!! UGH!!! We groaned! We tossed and turned and dozed and turned some more until it was finally over. It's funny now, sort of.

I agree with others above:
Reading material, puzzle or game, talking (if you have a partner or if you enjoy talking to yourself), hiking longer to get worn out so sleep comes easier...

OR eat a lot of comfort food at the Homeplace!! Zzzzzzzzzzz! :>) Come back to Daleville illabelle!!

illabelle
09-30-2013, 12:54
OR eat a lot of comfort food at the Homeplace!! Zzzzzzzzzzz! :>) Come back to Daleville illabelle!!

That was fun, wasn't it! So glad we could meet you and DH and T&S. :)
We have lots of miles to do in Virginia - probably around 400, so I'm sure we'll meet again. Our next trip will be Vermont or maybe Massachusetts - depending on how the government shutdown affects access to the trail [insert big heavy sigh], but the one after will be a bit north of you on the south end of SNP. We will have to come back to Daleville one day when it's NOT FOGGY AND RAINING! :sun

Wait, this thread is about killing time in the tent when it gets dark early. I know, you could come along and entertain us!

bigcranky
09-30-2013, 13:03

Yeah, me too. I usually bring some music and maybe a small book, but I don't have any problem at all sleeping. I try to be up before sunrise so I can get some breakfast, pack up, and be on the trail at first light, to maximize hiking during daylight.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 14:53
That was fun, wasn't it! So glad we could meet you and DH and T&S. :)
We have lots of miles to do in Virginia - probably around 400, so I'm sure we'll meet again. Our next trip will be Vermont or maybe Massachusetts - depending on how the government shutdown affects access to the trail [insert big heavy sigh], but the one after will be a bit north of you on the south end of SNP. We will have to come back to Daleville one day when it's NOT FOGGY AND RAINING! :sun

Wait, this thread is about killing time in the tent when it gets dark early. I know, you could come along and entertain us!

YUP... and Yipeeee!!! :sun

I actually worried about this very thing myself... I'm glad this thread was started!

As long as there are other people around at night.. I'm good. My favorite activity at night would be a campfire & chatting, or listening to someone playing an instrument of some kind. Even singing if they're good- or bad even. (could be quite funny)

If you are alone.. well, there's good suggestions for that too. :>)

Hoofit
09-30-2013, 15:07
I always go for an after-dinner hike just to check out the area, maybe some side trails..... then I'll come back to the tent. In the tent..... well I'm usually so tired from the day of hiking that I am out like a light rather quickly!

Darn youngsters! Way too much energy! Try writing down your thoughts for the day, makes for an interesting journal down the road.....

Marmaduke
09-30-2013, 16:33
Darn youngsters! Way too much energy! Try writing down your thoughts for the day, makes for an interesting journal down the road.....

I write for a living so I tend to abandon the pen and paper while I'm in the forest. :)

Another Kevin
09-30-2013, 16:54
If it's early enough in the season that the bears are still awake, I stop while there's still enough light to get a line up a tree for the bearbag. As long as that's done, I can pitch a tent, cook and eat by headlamp, brush my teeth, hoist the bag and turn in. Finding a branch and heaving the line is the only thing I need daylight (or at least twilight) for, so if the bears are asleep, I might even hike a little ways after dark if the trail is well marked and I know I can find a tent site.

I carry a Sea to Summit pack bucket. If it's not brutally cold (say, above about 25 F), then I might boil up a couple of cups of water and throw it in with a half bucket of cold, and have warm water so that I can bathe with a bandana and a pack towel in the tent. Presuming that I have dry stuff to change into, I might even wash socks, boxers and t-shirt at the same time. Good wicking gear will be dry by morning if it's hung up in the tent vestibule or pressed out under my sleeping mat with whatever body heat makes it down there to dry out the moisture.. While washing, keep the bucket in the vestibule, with the door partly unzipped, or (a) there will be condensation problems, and (b) you'll spill it. all over the tent floor.

I find that a bath is a morale booster. It's not even too badly chilling if you're out of the wind, washing with warm water, and have a warm sleeping bag to crawl into afterward. And I don't mind sleeping with peppermint Dr Bronners in the tent, so there's no need to put my soap in the bearbag. So after I warm the bucket of water, I quickly throw in the pot and stove and hoist, and then go back to the tent to wash up. (Note to self: remember to do this before bathing, so that you won't be the weird wet naked guy dashing outside in the cold to retrieve a bearbag to add the pot and stove. Don't ask how I learnt this lesson.) The fuel bottle stays inside with me to keep it warm.

Next, I might read a little or do a sudoku in the sleeping bag, but after a day's hiking and the relaxation of getting washed up, I'm more often asleep before the second bounce.

Zzz,,, (Interruption to adjust fluid levels) ...zzz...

I can wind up waking up in the small hours, because I might have gone to sleep near 8pm. No big deal. I can retrieve the bearbag by headlamp. I tie a white rag or a bright bandana in the line so that I can find it easily predawn (or if I need to get it down in the night to retrieve medication or something). I putter about with oatmeal and coffee, or even make a muffin. Then I clean up and pack, treat water if there's any nearby, and get rolling. I might wind up hiking an hour or so by headlamp until there's enough light. That might even get me to a nice east-facing overlook in time to watch the Sun rise.

Being mostly a weekender (and occasional short-sectioner), this describes an ideal night. A lot of the time, I'm too keyed up to sleep well the night before I leave for a trip, so there's the possibility that I'll actually sleep through to daylight the first night on the trail. This routine is more often the second night of a long weekend or the third night of a short section.

QHShowoman
09-30-2013, 17:09
I find that a bath is a morale booster. It's not even too badly chilling if you're out of the wind, washing with warm water, and have a warm sleeping bag to crawl into afterward.

Are you kidding me? I look forward to backpacking and camping so I DON'T have to shower/bathe on the regular!

I echo what others have said:
I bring a book or a reading device. I will make a fire and watch it burn until I get sleepy or run out of firewood, whichever happens first. Then I will head to bed. If I am tired, I will usually go straight to sleep. If not, I will read some more or listen to music (if I brought a player with me) until I get sleepy. But I love the "down time." If I am home, there is always something to be done before I can turn in -- I enjoy having the ability to just relax and "do nothing" out in the wild.

da fungo
09-30-2013, 17:43
Another Kevin:

Nicely written post.

T.S.Kobzol
09-30-2013, 20:42
I just came from a short weekend on Mooselookmeguntic lake. I kayaked, found a nice campsite on an island. Sun set around 7PM. I was cooking dinner. when the sun was going down. During the rehydration of the meal I walked around and took some photos, then ate. Then I went into my hammock and alternated between listening my mini pocket radio and reading my kindle. I think I went to bed around 9:30PM. Woke up at 6 to a dense fog. Had a blast orienteering during 60 minute paddle in a pure fog.

Read my kindle and listen to my radio

Bumblebee Tuna

Malto
09-30-2013, 20:51
Fall is an ideal time to night hike. While many poo poo it, it can be incredible. Hike until 9pm then go to bed as normal. There are few things cooler than walking through the forest and hearing owls, seeing far off lights from a small town and feeling the cool air of the night. time for a fall night hike!

Rasty
09-30-2013, 20:57
Fall is an ideal time to night hike. While many poo poo it, it can be incredible. Hike until 9pm then go to bed as normal. There are few things cooler than walking through the forest and hearing owls, seeing far off lights from a small town and feeling the cool air of the night. time for a fall night hike!

I'm the opposite and start at 4 and walk into the light. Easier for me to break camp then make camp in the dark. One of those flip a coin decisions were both are right.

OzJacko
09-30-2013, 21:00
I missed most of this summer due to an ankle injury (related to fishing, not backpacking). So, now I'm thinking about doing the 100 mile wilderness in October. With it getting dark around 6:15 by then, that makes for a long night in the tent. What do you all do in there? I'll be going alone, so don't get too creative. ;)
If I told you, I would have to kill you..... ;)

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 21:01
Another Kevin:

Nicely written post.

Does he ever write a bad post?? Nope. ;)

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 21:02
If I told you, I would have to kill you..... ;)
wait a minute. when did you spend a long night in a tent.

Malto
09-30-2013, 21:10
I'm the opposite and start at 4 and walk into the light. Easier for me to break camp then make camp in the dark. One of those flip a coin decisions were both are right.

I also do that. Generally i do prefer hiking into the light. Fall is the one exception.

OzJacko
09-30-2013, 21:15
wait a minute. when did you spend a long night in a tent.
All nights in tents are long.
:D

aficion
09-30-2013, 21:24
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Another Kevin http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1531481#post1531481)
"I find that a bath is a morale booster. It's not even too badly chilling if you're out of the wind, washing with warm water, and have a warm sleeping bag to crawl into afterward." Quote

As an unconventional hiker, I actually bathe more often on the trail than I do at home. I get very sweaty every time I hike. Not so much at home. Nothing beats a bath on the trail after a long slog, weather be damned.:D

Another Kevin
09-30-2013, 21:39
As an unconventional hiker, I actually bathe more often on the trail than I do at home. I get very sweaty every time I hike. Not so much at home. Nothing beats a bath on the trail after a long slog, weather be damned.:D

On the other hand, I rarely trouble to shave, or even bring a razor, on the trail, while in town, a scratchy face bothers me. I suspect that if I were a long-distance hiker, I'd be that guy with a grey beard that looks moth-eaten. I've never had all that much facial hair, and next to no sideburns at all.

OzJacko
10-01-2013, 00:56
On the other hand, I rarely trouble to shave, or even bring a razor, on the trail, while in town, a scratchy face bothers me. I suspect that if I were a long-distance hiker, I'd be that guy with a grey beard that looks moth-eaten. I've never had all that much facial hair, and next to no sideburns at all.
Your avatar suggests a certain amount of facial fungus is normal.
I have grown two beards in my life - a 6 week one for the Bibbulmun Track and a 6 month for the AT.
Neither remained.
It is not a good look for me.

Aficion you need to get over your cleanliness issues. Finding showers at regular intervals gets you a lot of flak.

Astro
10-01-2013, 12:18
I have grown two beards in my life - a 6 week one for the Bibbulmun Track and a 6 month for the AT.
Neither remained.

Aficion you need to get over your cleanliness issues. Finding showers at regular intervals gets you a lot of flak.

Oz, had a 6 week beard after hiking the AT this summer. While I loved not having to shave, my wife said it was not a good look for me. Something about looking 10 years older. :rolleyes:

Astro
10-01-2013, 12:30

+1. Also if you get lost you always know day light is coming. Where as the other you might get more and more lost before day light ever comes.

aficion
10-01-2013, 13:45
Neither remained.

I usually find my shower right in my pack where I put it.:)

bangorme
10-01-2013, 13:52
+1. Also if you get lost you always know day light is coming. Where as the other you might get more and more lost before day light ever comes.

I guess I'd like to see the hike... at least the first time through. So hiking in the dark wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Furlough
10-01-2013, 14:54
You could practice pronouncing Maine pond and lake names until you fell asleep:
Little Sabattus Pond
Scopan Lake
Mattawamkeag Lake
Madawaska Lake
Umsaskis Lake
Meduxnekeag (Drews) Lake
Wytopitlock Lake
Mattaseunk Lake
Skitacook Lake
Rockabema Lake
Upper Macwahoc Lake
Kennebago Lake
Kamankeag Pond
Nicatous Lake
Alamoosook Lake
Narraguagus Lake
Cobbosseeconte Lake
Androscoggin Lake
Messalonskee Lake
Annabessacook Lake

Odd Man Out
10-01-2013, 15:24
You could learn a foreign language. I like the Pimsleur lessons. You can download them as MP3 audio files. Just make sure you are alone, otherwise the person in the next tent will hear you repeating "Arkadaşlarımla İzmir'e gidiyorum" over and over.

SipseyFreak
10-01-2013, 16:48
... the really light weight Kindle and tunes ...

Whack-a-mole
10-03-2013, 22:27
My wife picks on me, cause ill do every thing to save weight down to the last ounce, then toss in a big old paperback!

ChinMusic
10-03-2013, 23:09
I just had to look when I saw whack had posted in this thread

Marta
10-04-2013, 01:27
I can't sleep more than seven hours, max, so I always bring something to do.

Write in journal. Make notes to go with pictures I've taken during the day.

Bring cards. Play solitaire. Or if with companions, rummy. Or poker, for pieces of twigs.

If it's too cold to hang around outside, read.

Leanthree
10-04-2013, 02:45
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

Before electric lights this was common. The key is to not have any anxiety over being awake which leads to tossing and turning. You will get enough sleep. Embrace the nightime wakefulness, do some low-light reading or writing. When you are tired once more, put your head down and see what happens.

bangorme
10-04-2013, 08:55
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

Before electric lights this was common. The key is to not have any anxiety over being awake which leads to tossing and turning. You will get enough sleep. Embrace the nightime wakefulness, do some low-light reading or writing. When you are tired once more, put your head down and see what happens.

I do this sometimes. I'll read for awhile (which kills my neck), then turn out the headlamp and just lie in my sleeping bag. I just think... in peace. Listen to the wind, or the rain (if I'm lucky). Eventually I'll fall asleep and may wake up at 1:00 in the morning. Listen, think, then wake up at sunrise. I NEVER sleep more than 7 hours a night at home, but in my tent I can sleep more than 10 hours. Don't understand it.

colorado_rob
10-04-2013, 09:02
I read. A lot. Like 3 full books in this last 2 week AT jaunt. Kindle reader on cell phone, zero extra weight (assuming you carry a phone) and takes very little battery juice if display brightness turned way down, but still plenty readable. I also have a bridge app (old card game most folks under 50 have never even heard of). On a 3 week Alaska trip with four of us (big tent) we "discovered" good old Yatzee. You think October has long nights? We do a lot of deep winter multi-night camping/climbing here in Colorado... dark at 4:30pm, light at 7:30am. Sure do get caught up on sleep on these trips!

PapaGarrettP
10-04-2013, 12:00
I like to read the descriptions of the upcoming day's hike (as well as the day I just finished) and study the terrain that is up ahead. I make photocopies of the guidebooks and also the maps of the hike and stow them in a gallon zip lock in the top of my pack. I don't like to listen to my iPod because I get that stimulation every day and love being away from it for a week or so -- but that is a personal choice.