PDA

View Full Version : Burning TP

aficion
09-30-2013, 09:21
About 40 years ago, I was taught by instructors, then currently knowledgeable in the tenets of LNT backpacking, to burn my used toilet paper in the cat hole, before covering it over with dirt. Their explanation for this recommended practice was that otherwise animals would dig it up and it would lay on the surface until it decomposed, creating an eyesore. My question is for those now current in LNT orthodoxy, which I'm sure has evolved. Is this burning of used toilet paper still recommended and practiced by those in the know?
:confused::-?:sun:rolleyes::p

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 09:25
i burn mine.

Hikes in Rain
09-30-2013, 10:10
As do I, unless it's been unusually dry. With my user name, you can guess how often that is!

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2013, 10:11
I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. Just put a wad on the ground and piss on it and you'll see that it falls apart just from that.

Many LNT people are just a bunch of fanatics trying to outdo the other LNT guy to show just how environmentally friendly they are, but in fact much of what they do is just a waste of time.

Burning TP is a total waste of time, to say the least...

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 10:13
I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. Just put a wad on the ground and piss on it and you'll see that it falls apart just from that.

Many LNT people are just a bunch of fanatics trying to outdo the other LNT guy to show just how environmentally friendly they are, but in fact much of what they do is just a waste of time.

Burning TP is a total waste of time, to say the least...I have the time

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2013, 10:15

I have the timeBut I'm not going to say anymore :D

Gambit McCrae
09-30-2013, 10:23
I would say as long as it doesnt break one of the 7 rules of LNT then you are fine

aficion
09-30-2013, 10:25

I suppose all the toilet paper scattered around the priviless shelters did not get the memo.

Coffee
09-30-2013, 10:30
I think the idea of animals digging up catholes are way over stated. And if they do dig them up the TP isn't going to be seen, because once you bury it, it absorbs all the surrounding moisture and will be unrecognizable if dug up again. .

This might depend on climate and many other factors. I can say that I did see dug up toilet paper in the Sierra Nevada this summer and it is always a disgusting thing to come across. I pack my toilet paper out which is less disgusting and much less of a burden than it seems.

oldbear
09-30-2013, 10:47
The key to getting TP to dissolve rapidly is to use singly ply TP and then add lots of liquid to it
Wait 3- 4 minutes and then cover w/ dirt

bangorme
09-30-2013, 11:00

I basically agree with this. I don't think animals dig up human feces. I think many people don't bury their feces or their toilet paper and that's the big reason I find both all over the place.

max patch
09-30-2013, 11:16
I suppose all the toilet paper scattered around the priviless shelters did not get the memo.

Thats just the "don't pitch your tent here" warning system.

aficion
09-30-2013, 11:40
Thats just the "don't pitch your tent here" warning system.

The shelter is warning enough for me.:(

A.T.Lt
09-30-2013, 11:44
See if a Dr if it burns.

Starchild
09-30-2013, 12:36
Never before heard of that, I normally pee on the TP as well, which would make it not burn so well.

Tipi Walter
09-30-2013, 12:49
Never before heard of that, I normally pee on the TP as well, which would make it not burn so well.

Yeah, and human poop is wet so how the heck will fouled TP burn completely? It won't. I have a whole new system for you folks---

** Toilet paper is obsolete---don't need it so don't carry it.
** Instead find a paper towel brand you like (Bounty for me) and use one sheet folded in half and wet with water to be completely damp.
** Wipe once, fold into quarter size and wipe twice. Use another wet paper towel if needed.
** Bury stool and grab your hiking pole again (I used it to dig the cathole).
** Punch the tip of the pole deep into a hole in the ground, often next to a tree which has soft ground. The pole tip can go pretty far down, 8 to 10 inches.
** Place folded paper towels in hole and punch down all the way with the hiking pole.
** Cover if needed with leaves, etc.

aficion
09-30-2013, 13:11
Yeah, and human poop is wet so how the heck will fouled TP burn completely? It won't. I have a whole new system for you folks---

** Toilet paper is obsolete---don't need it so don't carry it.
** Instead find a paper towel brand you like (Bounty for me) and use one sheet folded in half and wet with water to be completely damp.
** Wipe once, fold into quarter size and wipe twice. Use another wet paper towel if needed.
** Bury stool and grab your hiking pole again (I used it to dig the cathole).
** Punch the tip of the pole deep into a hole in the ground, often next to a tree which has soft ground. The pole tip can go pretty far down, 8 to 10 inches.
** Place folded paper towels in hole and punch down all the way with the hiking pole.
** Cover if needed with leaves, etc.

I like it. No more fumblin with the lighter and no risk of unintended fire.

FarmerChef
09-30-2013, 13:39
I would think pockets of methane and lighters don't make good combinations... :D

Malto
09-30-2013, 14:18
Unless I'm in a high fire risk area I will burn the TP.

aficion
09-30-2013, 14:22
I would think pockets of methane and lighters don't make good combinations... :D

My friend Tailgunner would beg to differ. His favorite line was, "I've got a treat for you boys" which was always followed by a demonstration of his natural flame throwing talent.

Last Call
09-30-2013, 14:25
The key to getting TP to dissolve rapidly is to use singly ply TP and then add lots of liquid to it
Wait 3- 4 minutes and then cover w/ dirt
I just can't use that single-ply stuff, my finger goes right thru it.

bangorme
09-30-2013, 14:34
I just can't use that single-ply stuff, my finger goes right thru it.

Fold it and you have two ply, fold it again and you have four ply, fold it..........

illabelle
09-30-2013, 14:47
Who woulda thought that Burning TP would become a hot thread?

ChinMusic
09-30-2013, 14:50
I prefer TP that doesn't burn......

Starchild
09-30-2013, 15:09
I prefer TP that doesn't burn......

I think you are suppose to use it first ;)

Another Kevin
09-30-2013, 15:43

I've heard that suggested - make sure that the TP is thoroughly soaked to hasten decomposition. But - where do you get the pee? I've never been able to hold my pee while I'm pooping, so I need to pee first if I'm not going to spray my boots while I'm squatting. Which means that when it comes time to use the TP, I've got an empty tank.

daddytwosticks
09-30-2013, 15:58
I never poop when I section hike...I just hold it until I get off the trail.

Just kidding.

I do know that some section hikers do not poop until they get off the trail. I've read it here on Whiteblaze so it must be true. The opportunity for trail names becomes endless! :)

illabelle
09-30-2013, 16:01

Just kidding.

I do know that some section hikers do not poop until they get off the trail. I've read it here on Whiteblaze so it must be true. The opportunity for trail names becomes endless! :)

haha! i know somebody like that!

ChinMusic
09-30-2013, 16:12

Just kidding.

I usu can make it through weekend trips. I probably soiled the soil less than 10 times on my recent thru.

treesloth
09-30-2013, 16:18
Who woulda thought that Burning TP would become a hot thread?

Anything related to bodily functions, so it would seem. Start up one about sneezing, puking, hiccupping, maybe even whooping cough... then sit back and watch the replies. There will be many.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2013, 17:02
I suppose all the toilet paper scattered around the priviless shelters did not get the memo.That has nothing to do with animals digging it up; it has everything to do with people not burying it.

Lone Wolf
09-30-2013, 17:10
i wear Depends, poop myself then discard the diaper in the next privy i come to

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 17:14

:)
:)

atmilkman
09-30-2013, 17:25

Don't forget to light it.

bangorme
09-30-2013, 17:26
I just poop in my pants, then change them when I'm done backpacking. People don't bother me much and I get the shelters all to myself!

illabelle
09-30-2013, 18:15
Don't forget to light it.

Great idea. We've got old-style privies, the newer moldering privies, and now incinerating privies! We are so smart!!! :)

Blue Mountain Edward
09-30-2013, 18:19
Not safe to burn tp in the woods. Just brown blaze of the trail 50 yards and no one will see or step on yor crap.

oldbear
09-30-2013, 19:07
There is something called a low residue diet that will to go for 5-7 days w/o going
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-fiber-diet/MY00744

hikerboy57
09-30-2013, 19:11
or yo can do as invisible man did this year. he hiked the entire trail without once digging a cathole. would use privies or wait till he got into town.
not a single cathole-incredible.

ChinMusic
09-30-2013, 19:42
or yo can do as invisible man did this year. he hiked the entire trail without once digging a cathole. would use privies or wait till he got into town.
We can only strive for such excellence.....

aficion
09-30-2013, 20:20

That means the age old question, "Does a hiker s### in the woods?" has now become multiple choice.:rolleyes:

aficion
09-30-2013, 20:36

Guess you can just pith in them too

Lone Wolf
09-30-2013, 20:44
great interview on NPR today with Bill Bryson

Rasty
09-30-2013, 20:45
great interview on NPR today with Bill Bryson

TP reminds you of Bryson?

aficion
09-30-2013, 20:49

TP reminds me of Walter whose response to the question was bestest.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 20:59
I like TP... it's the bestest. I don't like it to burn tho! :D

Colter
10-01-2013, 14:07
El Paso man ordered to pay $2.7M for burning used toilet paper that started wildfire (http://www.topix.net/forum/city/el-paso-tx/TMDLD5ROVJBSHM26M) (83 square miles)

A California man whose burning toilet paper allegedly set off one of last summer's worst wildfires faces a bill estimated at about $3 million as well as criminal charges (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/49458/MAN-BLAMED-FOR-WILDFIRE-FACES-3-MILLION-BILL-PLUS-CRIMINAL-CHARGES.html?pg=all) (14 square miles burned)

Burning toilet paper has caused far more harm than good. It's not necessary. Presumably all the people who have started the hundreds of wildfires caused by burning toilet paper thought it would be OK and they wouldn't start a wildfire. A reminder: certain types of soil burn, even when you might not expect it.

treesloth
10-01-2013, 14:23

"Roadside" didn't dig a cathole OR use a privy on his thru last year. According to Roadside, at least. I'd have s*at myself within two days.

fredmugs
10-01-2013, 15:46

His book reminds me of TP.

WingedMonkey
10-02-2013, 10:00
I wipe with tea bags.

treesloth
10-02-2013, 11:12
I wipe with tea bags.

Herbal, black, or green?

oldbear
10-02-2013, 11:36
Of course we could just not use TP and replace it w/ a Super Soaker water gun used in the bidet mode

daddytwosticks
10-02-2013, 16:23
In days of old when men were bold and toilet bowls weren't invented, we walked the roads with our loads and went away contented. Old poem from my troubled youth. :)

Lone Wolf
10-02-2013, 17:10
the next 3 weekends on the creeper trail are the busiest all year. since the gubment has shut down the 3 privys in the 17 mile stretch are locked. gonna be a poopload of TP scattered everywhere

SCRUB HIKER
10-02-2013, 17:51
I basically agree with this. I don't think animals dig up human feces. I think many people don't bury their feces or their toilet paper and that's the big reason I find both all over the place.

I watched a buck excavate TP in Northern California this summer. It let me walk up to within about 10 feet because it was so concentrated on whatever it was rooting in the ground for. I couldn't imagine what was so appealing down there, and then 30 seconds later toilet paper started coming up. I have pictures of the whole event but they're not on my computer yet. This was TP that was originally well buried in a cat-hole, and it changed the way I thought about cat-holes (and about deer ... little Bambi is probably going to grow up to be a s***-eater). After that, I used natural (leaves, rocks) as much as I could, or if I used TP, I made sure to bury it DEEP in the ground.

Blue Mountain Edward
10-02-2013, 19:38
Crap in a fire ring then burn it up. Then you have a reason to have a campfire. Or call it a crapfire.