PDA

View Full Version : Blueberries near Mt Rogers

MOWGLI
08-14-2005, 15:09
I am thinking about a trip to Mt Rogers in two weeks to pick wild blueberries. Since I've only gone through there in early May, I have no idea about the location or abundance of wild blueberries. Can any one help a fellow forager out? I'd like to know the approximate location of any blueberry barrens with relation to the AT and/or Grayson Highlands State Park.

Thanks.

Lone Wolf
08-14-2005, 15:34
Anywhere around Scales, Pine Mtn., Wise shelter, etc. The whole area is covered up with blueberry bushes.

smokymtnsteve
08-14-2005, 16:30
not near the AT jeffery but come on up to AK got to Parks hwy mm 254.4 follow the "driveway a mile and a half to the dog yard and then follow the dog trail 1.2 miles to the lake trun right follow the lake side till U get to the cabin of "into the wilds" fame take trail on right hand side of the cabin,,,blue berry picking is fantastic , but beware of the grizzleys

MOWGLI
08-14-2005, 16:42
Anywhere around Scales, Pine Mtn., Wise shelter, etc. The whole area is covered up with blueberry bushes.

Excellent! We'll probably park at the State Park and walk in.

Lone Wolf
08-14-2005, 19:21
What sort of vehicle do you have? You can drive and park right in the Scales corral. It's a 4 mile rough road but if you got clearance, no prob.

MOWGLI
08-14-2005, 19:32
What sort of vehicle do you have? You can drive and park right in the Scales corral. It's a 4 mile rough road but if you got clearance, no prob.

We have a Saturn and Jeep Cherokee. I was thinking about taking the Saturn for fuel efficiency and parking at the State Park. Is the pickin' that much better at Scales? I was thinking we could camp near Wise Shelter and make it an overnighter. Does that sound like a good plan?

Lone Wolf
08-14-2005, 20:00
Yup. Very good plan. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. You can't go wrong. Maybe I'll join ya for a few hours.

jlb2012
08-14-2005, 20:23
We have a Saturn and Jeep Cherokee. I was thinking about taking the Saturn for fuel efficiency and parking at the State Park. Is the pickin' that much better at Scales? I was thinking we could camp near Wise Shelter and make it an overnighter. Does that sound like a good plan?

I was there this weekend and the picking did seem to be better near Scales - at least on the VA Highlands Horse trail - we camped next to the Little Wilson Creek on the last night (Sat. night) and the picking was better there than up at Rhodo Gap (Fri. night) or along the Pine Mtn. Tr. (Thurs. night). Unfortunately I did not get over toward Wise but I suspect that it will be very similar to the picking near Scales - of course in a couple weeks the bushes at the higher elevations will probably be just coming into peak picking time - thus the reason for the 8th annual Blueberry Massacree over Labor Day weekend. The nicest thing about Scales is that the parking is free - the state park is not - I think its something like $3 or $4 a night depending on weekend or weekday to park at the backpacking lot in Grayson Highhlands SP. The other nice thing about Scales is that you are already further up than if you start at Grayson - less of a climb IMO. Distance to Wise shelter is about the same IIRC if you come from the state park or from Scales. With respect to the road - yeah its rough but not really that rough and if you are experienced with the art of driving over rocks with your car you probably could make it even with the Saturn if you take it slow - the Jeep would probably be a better choice however for driving up to Scales.

jlb2012
08-15-2005, 04:09
correction-it was the Va Highlands trail and the _Big_ Wilson Creek where we camped Sat. night.

MOWGLI
08-15-2005, 06:29
Yup. Very good plan. 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. You can't go wrong. Maybe I'll join ya for a few hours.

I'll let you know when we solidify our plans. Thanks for the info!