PDA

View Full Version : What to do around Waynesboro for two days?

BobTheBuilder
09-30-2013, 14:10
It looks like my section hike next week, which was planned to include two days into SNP, will be shortened by the budget problems. I will have two extra days on my hands around Waynesboro Wednesday and Thursday next week. I will have a rental car, so does anybody have any suggestions for something particularly interesting to do within a couple hour's drive?

flemdawg1
09-30-2013, 14:14
Drive around SNP, or GWNF.

illabelle
09-30-2013, 14:14
Drive a little south to Daleville. Do the 20 mile section between Catawba and Daleville. Includes McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs. We were there a couple weeks ago, and it was only fog and rain. But even with the weather, the views were nice, and the rock formations were very interesting. You'll enjoy it!

aficion
09-30-2013, 14:18
It looks like my section hike next week, which was planned to include two days into SNP, will be shortened by the budget problems. I will have two extra days on my hands around Waynesboro Wednesday and Thursday next week. I will have a rental car, so does anybody have any suggestions for something particularly interesting to do within a couple hour's drive?

Trout Stream runs right through the middle of Waynesboro. Bring your fly rod. :)

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2013, 14:31
You have two days? Eat at the Ming Garden downtown. In fact, I suggest you eat there twice.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 14:37
Drive a little south to Daleville. Do the 20 mile section between Catawba and Daleville. Includes McAfee's Knob and Tinker Cliffs. We were there a couple weeks ago, and it was only fog and rain. But even with the weather, the views were nice, and the rock formations were very interesting. You'll enjoy it!

This .... ^^^ Contact me if you need a shuttle. :)

BobTheBuilder
09-30-2013, 14:40
Thanks for the quick suggestions. I have hiked everything from Amicalola up to Tye River, so I agree that McAfee and Tinker Cliffs are great, but I am kind of looking for some non-hiking things, since I don't get to the area except for hiking.

aficion
09-30-2013, 14:43
Thanks for the quick suggestions. I have hiked everything from Amicalola up to Tye River, so I agree that McAfee and Tinker Cliffs are great, but I am kind of looking for some non-hiking things, since I don't get to the area except for hiking.

Thomas Jefferson's estate, Monticello is one half hour East and very worthwhile. It is right outside of Charlottesville.

flemdawg1
09-30-2013, 14:50
Aqua blaze.

HikerMom58
09-30-2013, 14:57
Aqua blaze.

+1........ :>)

Ummm.... do you like caves??? Charlottesville is a neat place to visit too. :)

Coffee
09-30-2013, 15:41
Wintergreen and Nellysford are nearby and interesting destinations for a drive. The D Day memorial in Bedford (outside Lynchburg) is also worth a visit. Appomattox is also a reasonable longer drive if you're into Civil War history.

BobTheBuilder
09-30-2013, 17:02
Cool. Thanks.

oldbear
09-30-2013, 18:59
Go visit the homes of Thomas Jefferson and James Madison
If you feel like driving head south to Appomattox
West of Waynesboro is Stanton VA which is not only Woodrow Wilson's home town But also one of the best preserved antebellum towns along the Blue Ridge ; which is a pretty amazing accomplishment given the Civil War history of the area

Coffee
09-30-2013, 19:12
Jefferson's Poplar Forest is also relatively nearby. It was his vacation home and was in the process of being restored a few years ago when I visited.

http://www.poplarforest.org/

scudder
09-30-2013, 19:23
Many fine restaurants and excellent music scene in Charlottesville. Monticello is worthwhile. Many wineries and micro breweries in the area .

lush242000
09-30-2013, 20:08
Pound a few beers and tell everyone lies.

Sent from somewhere.

astrogirl
09-30-2013, 22:33

Drive west to massanutten. There's a 100 mile ring trail around it, and many connector trails.

BobTheBuilder
10-01-2013, 13:56
Pound a few beers and tell everyone lies.

Sent from somewhere.

Will do and will do.

kofritz
10-01-2013, 16:19
try Charlottesville too, spend a little time at Monticello, if you have never been. oops, it might be closed too...

aficion
10-01-2013, 16:23
Will do and will do.

Devil's Backbone and Starr Hill are two great local microbreweries worth a visit.