PDA

View Full Version : Good sections on the AT to hike

murph1401
09-30-2013, 22:41
We are planning a hike on the AT but are limited for time. We would like to day hike sections of the trail. I am looking for suggestions of some good sections to hike. We are planning on hiking a section and then driving on to the next section. I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions. Thank you.

ctrupe
10-02-2013, 07:25
To add to the above question - my two grown sons and I are planning on hiking 50 miles on the AT in Central VA, my one son lives in Lynchburg. This is the first time for the 3 of us to go together. Any suggestions on the best 50 mile section to hike. I want this to be a great time. Hopefully we can make this a regular event. Thanks for any help given.

Kerosene
10-02-2013, 08:08
Clearly, day hiking a 50-mile section requires different logistics than overnight backpacking. You want reasonably spaced, SUV accessible road crossings; ,a "home base" of operations such as a hostel or B&B, and even access to a gas station as your cars will rack up the miles getting them positioned correctly.

New York State is surprisingly nice and lends itself to day-hiking. I day-hiked the entire state, much of it with my 65-yo mom and younger brother. She could only do 5-7 miles, so we'd position a car for her and then she'd pick us up 10 miles later. We stayed at the Bear Mountain Bridge Inn just north of the AT in Fort Montgomery.

Western Maine, from Grafton Notch to Rangeley, could also be day-hiked without resorting to using unpaved roads.

HikerMom58
10-02-2013, 08:48
To add to the above question - my two grown sons and I are planning on hiking 50 miles on the AT in Central VA, my one son lives in Lynchburg. This is the first time for the 3 of us to go together. Any suggestions on the best 50 mile section to hike. I want this to be a great time. Hopefully we can make this a regular event. Thanks for any help given.

That sounds like fun! :) You are so close to Roanoke, I'd pick 50 miles near Roanoke. If you want good views, I'd go with a hike planned to cover McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs and Dragons Tooth. It's 20 miles from Daleville VA to Rt. 311 near Catawba, VA It would be nice to end your trip at the Homeplace. Homeplace is an AYCE that has great food & gorgeous view.

If you need a shuttle back to ur car after your hike. I can help you out with a shuttle. I live 5 miles from the trail in Daleville, VA.

Cuacoatchoo
12-11-2014, 17:35
From lynchburg I'd recommend GSMNP (70 miles), GHSP (32ish?), SNP (100miles). Although SNP is the longest, I'd say it has the most tame trail, and readily accessible waystation for Chicken tenders on the trail. GHSP was probably my favorite nature wise because higlands are cool.

All 3 of these sections also have convenient shuttle services to drop off a car :)

Yankee15
08-27-2015, 18:55
Mcafee, dragons tooth, tinker cliffs are good in VA. Skip SNP unless you drive it because the road has all the good views, the AT doesn't...Smokies are awesome but crowded. Cool sections north of there on the ridgeline. I would skip PA, NY, CT, MA, and VT, unless you don't care about views. NJ is cool with good weather. NH is awesome but the Whites are like disney world. Stay off the AT in that section if you want to have an outdoors experience.

Anything in Maine is incredible!

rafe
08-27-2015, 20:28
I dunno, there were some fine views from SNP. Sunset from Mary's Rock was spectacular.