PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinion these packs

Tuckahoe
10-01-2013, 14:53
A little while back I started a thread looking for thoughts on the Osprey Atmos 50. Reading up on the Atmos and the Exos 58 lead me to reading up on Golite's Jam 50 and 70.

What has really piqued my interest though more so than the Osprey packs are those from Granite Gear, especially Blaze AC 60, Crown VC 60 and the Aji 50. Especially interested in the Aji 50, because of the panel loading rather than top loading, and I like the addition of the internal compression straps.

The Aji seems to be a relatively new model, so there are not as many reviews out there compared to the others (sadly though so many reviews seem to be a rehash of the marketing materials rather than a real review of the product). But, I wouldnt mind hearing thoughts on each of these packs, especially the three from Granite Gear.

Kia Kaha
10-01-2013, 15:08
My personal opinion on packs and most gear these days is that I try to stay away from the commercial, made in China items, that people who actually hike do not design. I have used the Granite Gear NO, Golite Jam and Pinnacle, Gregory, etc. etc.

If you are keeping it lite, try Gossamer Gear or ULA. Well thought out packs by peopl who actually use them.

I use all the cottage gear makers I can these days, folks like, HammockGear, Warbonnet Outdoors, Widerness Logics, Gossamer Gear, zpacks,etc. I quit getting Backpacker magazine a few years back when I realized the Gear Guide is always the same, pimping the same commercial gear that sucks compared to what I can get from a person who cares about gear. Best of luck with your pack.

Tuckahoe
10-01-2013, 19:22
Forgive me as I did not mean to start a discussion of the philosophy of backpacking gear, Backpacker Magazine and how they sold their soul to the devil, nor the preceived trade imbalance with China.

Infact none of the packs I listed are made in China. Granite Gear and Osprey are made in Vietnam; Golite packs are made in the Philippines. Oh! And Gossamer Gear packs are sewn in Mexico.

What i was interested in was hearing from those that had personal experience with the packs I referenced, especially the Aji 50. I looked at Gossamer Gear and ULA but I simply thought, meh.

Drybones
10-01-2013, 19:36
I have the Granite Gear Crown 60, couldn't be happier. Things I like:

1. It rides close to the back which makes the weight much easier to carry.
2. I love the stretch pockets, wouldn't have a pack without them. I stuff my tent, groundcloth and rain gear in the back pocket so I dont have to open the pack if it's raining. The side pockets on this pack are the first ones I've been able to get my water bottle out of by myself.
3. I believe the lack of pockets has helped me organize better, love the two straps that secure the top, I put my zip off legs, long sleeve shirt, thermorest cushion, etc. under these straps when I take them off and they're easy to get to when I want to put them on.
4. I have an REI Flash 65 and Flash 50, a Deuter ACT 65 Lite, and a Gregory Z-pack to compare to...no comparison to any of them.
5. It's just comfortable.

ztbarg01
10-01-2013, 21:43
I own the Atmos pack and have been very pleased with the level of comfortability that it offers. I work at a gear shop in Louisville, Ky and the Atmos seems to be the pack that I sell most often simply because of how adjustable the pack is. With an adjustable hip-belt, it will be able to fit your waist to perfection. The shoulder straps have an adjustable range of about 4". With the Granite Gear packs you wont have the same opportunities to fine tune the pack's suspension system to your liking. I also like how the contents of the pack don't rest directly against my back. So If your stove shifts in your pack its not going to poke into your skin until you're forced to stop and re-arrange your pack's contents. Also, Osprey's customer service is top notch.

daddytwosticks
10-02-2013, 07:20
I have a very old Atmos 50 (2005 model) that I have used and abused. Very happy with this Osprey product. I'll be taking a close look at the 2014 Osprey Exos 46 when it comes out next spring. There may be a replacement pack in my future! :)

Turkey Sandwich
10-02-2013, 08:00
I'll also chime in with love for the Atmos. I have had the 65 for a few years and I'll be purchasing the 50 for my 2014 thru. I think it's a perfect combination of sturdy and lightweight (note that I said light, not ultralight). The few extra pockets makes it really easy to organize and use without dumping out all of the contents to look for something.

By far, the thing I like most about it is the breathability. The airspeed panel on the back is amazingly effective. The one thing to make sure of though is not to overload it. The Atmos series seems to suffer a lot more from a few pounds above range than beefier packs, for obvious reasons. I've taken 55 pounds on winter camping trips and still been happy with it, but my clavicles are usually pretty raw by the end.

patman25
10-02-2013, 08:35
I have the AC 60 and LOVE my pack. I haven't tried a lot of other packs though, so I can't really compare for you. However, I've done a few hundred miles with my AC 60, and don't have a single complaint about it. It rides well, stays pretty cool on my back.

Having said that, I just watched the product demo video on the Aji 50...I'd probably get that one if I was looking for a new pack...and I still may get one. :)

Praha4
10-02-2013, 10:44
I just used the Osprey Atmos 50 on my Long Trail hike and loved it. First time I've used an Osprey pack and I think I'm a convert. I was usually carrying 20-23 lbs total pack weight. Used a 1.8L Platypus hoser, it fit perfectly inside, no trouble getting the bladder in and out. I love the outside pockets on the front and the large front pocket. I have always used the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15 in the past, a great pack, but now I prefer the Osprey shoulder straps more. I tried GG and Golite packs, and essentially for me it comes down to the fact that I cannot wear a frameless pack or one of those "framesheet" packs from GG. If I was still in my 20s or 30s I could do it, but no longer. Go with what works best for you.

Tuckahoe
10-02-2013, 12:21
I have the AC 60 and LOVE my pack. I haven't tried a lot of other packs though, so I can't really compare for you. However, I've done a few hundred miles with my AC 60, and don't have a single complaint about it. It rides well, stays pretty cool on my back.

Having said that, I just watched the product demo video on the Aji 50...I'd probably get that one if I was looking for a new pack...and I still may get one. :)

The frustration I often have is that I wish these companies would provide more information on their products with their videos.

There are only two videos on the Aji, one from Granite Gear, and the other from Backcountry Edge, and I wish they were more detailed. I do love the epic beard from the Backcountry Edge guy --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZYigQDkFSA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Whack-a-mole
10-03-2013, 22:22
I tried an atmos, but didn't like the hydration system at all. You were almost forced to use a water bladder. I really prefer to use water bottles. I'm currently using a go lite, and really like it. It works much better for me than the osprey. The thing about packs, they all have different features- you just have to figure out what works best for you.

Hill Ape
10-03-2013, 22:46
I've had the crown for a few months now. overall I am very happy with it, and its a little lighter than blaze. the one thing I do NOT like is the compression paracord, I would rather have more traditional compression straps even at the cost of a few grams. also, I don't really want the whole lid pocket, but I would like to have something like a flap lid to make it easier to carry say a tent or something on top of the pack. and lash straps on the bottom

Leanthree
10-04-2013, 02:52
Love my Exos. Contrary to Whack-a-mole, I don't have a problem using water bottles with mine. I can reach back, grab a bottle, drink and replace it all while walking (I use gatorade 32 oz, the shape of which may help. I also allow the compression straps to run on the pack-side of the bottle, not the outside of the bottle).

I have not had experience with the other packs you spoke of but you are in the right ballpark as others speak highly of them.

wyattcothran
10-07-2013, 08:38
+1 on GG Crown 60. I think the side pockets are a bit small, but overall a very comfortable pack.

swjohnsey
10-07-2013, 10:51
Buy a pack made in China by folks who have never seen the AT.

Tuckahoe
10-07-2013, 11:00

And tell me which of these packs were actually made in China.

Phikes
10-07-2013, 12:46
Careful with the GG, great durable packs but the frame sheets tend to break, however they are super good about getting you a replacement. My vote is for ULA but they are all top loaders.

swjohnsey
10-07-2013, 13:20
And tell me which of these packs were actually made in China.

China is waay different than Malaysia or Vietnam.

Tuckahoe
10-07-2013, 19:41

China is waay different than Malaysia or Vietnam.

Well yes my little bit of geography knowledge pretty much says that China, Malaysia, and Vietnam are rather different places.

As well the owners of both Osprey and Granite Gear seem to be rather involved in the development and design of their companies' packs. I seem to recall that each of them are also experienced hikers.

Now is there actually something wrong with anyone of these packs that you can actually point out or are just blowin smoke?

swjohnsey
10-08-2013, 17:38
Mostly blowin' smoke. The zipper on the Granite Gear Aji 50 looks vulnerable. Durability on the AT is an issue. Also the Osprey pack is about a pound heavier than a comperable ULA and costs about the same.

Nooga
10-09-2013, 12:08
Last year from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin I carried a ULA Catalyst. The ULA was well made, but it was probably the hottest pack I have carried. The side pockets were shallow and my water bottles didn't fit well, plus I had a problem reaching my water bottles while wearing the pack. I think ULA has changed the design of the side pockets to correct this. Also, to me the waist belts are sized oddly. A medium was too large and the small seemed sized for a child. This may not be an issue for others as the ULA is a very popular pack and I like the made in the USA aspect.

This year I purchased an Osprey Exos for a hike from Springer to Damascus and I much prefer the Osprey. To me it is much cooler and more comfortable. Plus I didn't have any issues reaching the water bottles while wearing the pack. The Osprey is heavier than the ULA, but for future hikes, there is no question I will carry the Osprey.

Del Q
10-09-2013, 20:05
I bought an Osprey Exos 58, great pack, ton of + features, light, prefer the extra pockets for tent, rain gear, etc.

Also wanted a real frame.

Don't measure so much where it is made, people in China and Vietnam need to make a living too.............

Tuckahoe
10-09-2013, 20:48
What i was interested in was hearing from those that had personal experience with the packs I referenced, especially the Aji 50. I looked at Gossamer Gear and ULA but I simply thought, meh.

Well, I may have to reconsider ULA. I came across the Camino, and looks like a new and improved version will return.

Tuckahoe
11-10-2013, 23:52
Well to dredge up an old thread, I have to admit that the ULA Circuit really grew on me, and it will be my Christmas present to myself.

Prime Time
11-11-2013, 00:11
I used a GG Crown VC 60 on my entire thru hike this year. The stitching on both load leveler straps and one shoulder strap all failed. I had to repair them with dental floss after which they held up. I knew someone else who had the exact same problem on the same pack. I never put more than about 34 pounds in the pack and almost always had less than 30 pounds in it. I had a GG representative at Trail Fest in Hot Springs tell me he has seen a lot of this same problem and blamed faulty design and workmanship on the strap stitching. It's too bad because once I repaired the stitching problems the pack was great and really held up well. Since dependability is paramount on a thru hike, unless you are handy with a needle and thread, I'd stay clear of this pack. I think UL seemed to have the most satisfied owners on the trail this year.

Stinkbug
11-11-2013, 14:28
I have the Atmos 65. Probably too much for what I plan to taking with me on a week long hike. I wanted the Kelstra 58 and they are no longer available. With that said the Atmos is well thought out and the hydration pack is really easy to push in and pull out as necessary. I just have not figured out how to reach for H20 on the side pockets!

Toon
11-11-2013, 14:33
I have been using a go lite bag for 4 years now never any problems

chasing shadows
11-11-2013, 18:12
I have a 50 liter golite jam pack, I got it for my first pack a few years ago. I enjoyed the pack but I noticed it doesn't really handle a larger load all that well. The material the pack is made of holds up well while still being light weight. I do believe it is a great pack, especially since golite has them for around $110 on their site.

I saw you mention that you weren't impressed with gossamer gear packs, I would recommend you look at them again. I have a mariposa that I absolutely love it. The pack handles a load up to 35 lbs and features a removable aluminum stay to help with a heavy load. Also the pack is 69.5 liters but weighs 1 lb 12 oz which is less than the 50 liter jam pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)