PDA

View Full Version : Caching

moocow
10-01-2013, 15:16
Does anyone have any tips or info on caching food in bear country. I'm looking into doing a two week trip along the Ouchita Trail this december and it seems to be the best option for a resupply.

southern9
10-24-2013, 08:33
Me and the wife did Eagle Rock Loop in September, in the Ouachitas. Beautiful place. If you are stashing food ahead of time, maybe some schedule 80 PVC pipe with a screw on cap. That or a bear canister. Are you gonna pack it out, leave no trace?

aficion
10-24-2013, 09:03
Me and the wife did Eagle Rock Loop in September, in the Ouachitas. Beautiful place. If you are stashing food ahead of time, maybe some schedule 80 PVC pipe with a screw on cap. That or a bear canister. Are you gonna pack it out, leave no trace?

I like the big UTZ clear plastic snack jars with the screw on reach in lid. Opsacks inside. Cheaper than a bear canister and easy to pack out. I can get a ten day supply/ 20 lbs. in one if careful.

Deadeye
10-24-2013, 10:52
I've stashed bear canisters for up to a few weeks at a time, they've never been touched, and it's easy to find them (your memory will work just fine, but write it down if you feel you must). It's a minor drag to have to go back & get them, but if you're just stashing one you can carry it out with you.

Mags
10-24-2013, 14:44
I saw a Colorado Trail presentation and the couple used caches as well. Their food storage of choice? Surplus ammo boxes. At ~$20 ea, not terribly expensive (http://www.surplusplanet360.com/Ammo-Can-Us-Surplus-Steel-50-Cal-Military-Issue-8-0900.html?gclid=CM3LwLXilrgCFYkWMgodJxAAew). The NPS has used them for years in places (Boulder Field on Longs Peak for example). Naturally, bigger ones are avail then what I've linked if you need to cache more food.

The down side with all food caches is that you have to drive to drop them off and then drive to pick them up at the end of the trip.

ChinMusic
10-24-2013, 15:42
I suggest you take a couple pics of the location you hide the container. I have had troubles in the past trying to remember where I hid something, especially if I had hidden stuff in multiple locations or a week goes by. Those pictures help jog the memory and get you lined up.