PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag + pad advice

TurboPants
10-01-2013, 15:52
Do you folks ever put your sleeping pads inside a down tent? I recently camped with a cheap 50* synth bag and because I toss and turn I couldn't stay on the pad and froze when it went down to ~32 degrees. I tried putting the pad inside my bag the next night and it was MUCH better because I could at least keep contact with the pad.

So my first big question is would my regular size ProLite Plus sleeping pad (72" long by 20" wide) fit inside a mummy shape bag, and is it okay to do with the down material?

Second, I've put off buying a bag but want to do some more cold camping in the fall. I'm looking at a couple bags because they are on sale and wanted some outside opinion. Here's the ones on sale:

Sea to Summit TKI (30 oz) (http://www.backcountrygear.com/down-sleeping-bags/sea-to-summit-tki.html)
$132 at back country gear

Marmot Always Summer (35 oz) (http://www.rei.com/product/845986/marmot-always-summer-sleeping-bag)
$125 at REI

REI Halo (24 oz) (http://www.rei.com/product/845986/marmot-always-summer-sleeping-bag)
$155 at REI

To me it looks like the Sea to Summit is the best bang for buck based on fill weight and design. But I've not used a mummy bag ever so I'm very open to suggestions, just trying to stay around the $150 price.

pettas
10-01-2013, 15:59
You might also want to check out sleeping bags made by Big Agnes. They have a pocket that your 20" wide pad slips into so there's no way you can roll off your pad in the middle of the night. Just a thought. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Mobius
10-01-2013, 16:02
The three bags you listed all look like summer bags. They're good to about 40 deg F. That's not really cold weather camping. (Which is probably why they are on sale right now.) You may still be able to catch some "last year models" on sale as new fall/winter bags are released. There was a bunch of 15 deg Marmot bags on sale a few weeks.

I believe there are some Big Agnes bags that are designed to hold a pad within them. They have no bottom insulation, just a sleeve for the pad. I don't have any personal experience with them though.

SipseyFreak
10-01-2013, 16:46
I've got a friend with a BA bag with the sleeve on the bottom. Works well with a NeoAir XLite or the original NeoAir ... BA bags count on your pad for bottom insulation and so cut down on the weight. IMO ... get at least a 15 degree (or lower) bag if you're going to camp in the winter and pay attention to the R-rating of your pad. And, FYI, BA has a two-person bag you could get and take along a hot friend to keep you warm ...

TurboPants
10-01-2013, 16:57
I was thinking a 30-40* bag would be fine considering I'd have the pad R3.8, a silk liner (+5-10 more degrees), clothing I could wear, and the sleeping bag. I would likely always be sleeping in the liner to keep the dirt and stink off the bag so I'll always have that much more insulation.

Won't a 15-20 degree bag be way too hot during the summer months? If my plans follow through I would be leaving late March or April 1 and trying to get to Springer in 115-120 days, so early-mid July. Maybe it's still cool enough from PA north in June-July that a 20* bag still works??

I don't have anyone crazy enough to do a thru with me Sipsey lol

hikerboy57
10-01-2013, 17:01
almost any bag is too hot for the summer. i sometimes have slept on top of my bag.

where are you starting from to get to springer in 115-120 days?

TurboPants
10-01-2013, 21:22
Guess I should clarify Im not sure whether Im going north or south. Im leaning 90% towards NoBo. In which case what I said about going to springer would be wrong. I meant Katahdin but my brain is very squishy.

But I agree if its above 75 its too hot IN a bag. I figure its a good cushion under you though and maybe just sleep in the liner. But if I can get to the NE by July it wont be too warm at night.

ztbarg01
10-01-2013, 21:29
For winter time backpacking I've really enjoyed my Marmot Plasma 15. The bag itself has baffles that run vertically down the sleeping bag which is supposed to help distribute heat from your core to your legs. Another great bag that you may look into is the Western Mountaineering Caribou MF. The Caribou is a 35 degree bag which could double as a nice fall/spring bag or it could be used as a winter bag with the addition of a liner.

illabelle
10-01-2013, 21:40
I believe there are some Big Agnes bags that are designed to hold a pad within them. They have no bottom insulation, just a sleeve for the pad. I don't have any personal experience with them though.

I have a Big Agnes bag, and yes it has a sleeve for the pad, and no bottom insulation. I toss and turn all night, but sliding off the pad (pre-Big Agnes) wasn't much of an issue for me. So, in my case, I have found the sleeve to be sort of annoying for two reasons:
1) my pad fits tightly in the sleeve, so that the top insulated layer is pulled toward the side seams instead of being able to relax and fall snugly around my body. That means I've got big air spaces I have to heat up in order to get warm.
2) If I need something that's not right beside my head/shoulder area, and I have to sit up to get it, the pad has to sit up with me. I find that especially annoying.

bangorme
10-01-2013, 23:57
I was thinking a 30-40* bag would be fine considering I'd have the pad R3.8, a silk liner (+5-10 more degrees), clothing I could wear, and the sleeping bag. I would likely always be sleeping in the liner to keep the dirt and stink off the bag so I'll always have that much more insulation.

Won't a 15-20 degree bag be way too hot during the summer months? If my plans follow through I would be leaving late March or April 1 and trying to get to Springer in 115-120 days, so early-mid July. Maybe it's still cool enough from PA north in June-July that a 20* bag still works??

I don't have anyone crazy enough to do a thru with me Sipsey lol

The same bag won't be perfect for the entire trip, no matter what you buy. I'd buy a 20 degree bag, then mail that home and use a blanket or a light bag for the summer months.

TurboPants
10-02-2013, 09:29
illabelle, thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing about the BA bags. I had trouble staying on the pad because my camp site was on a side hill. I figure there will be plenty of times over the course of 4 months where you don't find a level spot to pitch so it was a good test.

bangor, why do you have to let the air out of my bubble?? lol I know one bag is probably asking a lot, which is why I was leaning more towards a 30 degree bag. I just figured with the pad and silk liner and clothing I could be comfortable seeing as I survived freezing temps with a 50 degree summer bag.

fredmugs
10-02-2013, 09:30
I have a Big Agnes bag, and yes it has a sleeve for the pad, and no bottom insulation. I toss and turn all night, but sliding off the pad (pre-Big Agnes) wasn't much of an issue for me. So, in my case, I have found the sleeve to be sort of annoying for two reasons:
1) my pad fits tightly in the sleeve, so that the top insulated layer is pulled toward the side seams instead of being able to relax and fall snugly around my body. That means I've got big air spaces I have to heat up in order to get warm.
2) If I need something that's not right beside my head/shoulder area, and I have to sit up to get it, the pad has to sit up with me. I find that especially annoying.

My BA came with the pad so it fits perfectly. The bag is rated at 15 degrees so when it's cold I take the bag and when it's warmer I still take the pad but use my Sea2Summit bag that can go from mummy to quilt.

bangorme
10-02-2013, 13:50
illabelle, thanks for that. I was thinking the same thing about the BA bags. I had trouble staying on the pad because my camp site was on a side hill. I figure there will be plenty of times over the course of 4 months where you don't find a level spot to pitch so it was a good test.

bangor, why do you have to let the air out of my bubble?? lol I know one bag is probably asking a lot, which is why I was leaning more towards a 30 degree bag. I just figured with the pad and silk liner and clothing I could be comfortable seeing as I survived freezing temps with a 50 degree summer bag.

Everyone sleeps at a different temperature, so some can stay warm at 10 degrees in a 20 degree bag, and some are cold at 30 degrees in the same bag. It really doesn't matter, because the principle is the same. I would buy a bag that I knew I would be comfortable in during the coldest nights I expected. During the summer you aren't going to be needing much, so why haul around a 20 degree bag (or whatever you need in cold weather)?

FarmerChef
10-02-2013, 14:20
almost any bag is too hot for the summer. i sometimes have slept on top of my bag.

where are you starting from to get to springer in 115-120 days?

Wondering the same thing though with a username like TurboPants perhaps TP is ah speed hikin'?

TurboPants
10-02-2013, 14:48
Farmer, read my earlier post. I messed up. But I do expect to do big mileage to finish in 4 months. My job may be put on hold for me if I can swing it. I'm a fast hiker normally anyway so long as my body isn't complaining too much.

bangorme, I can't afford two high dollar bags. Secondly, with good good quality brands the summer bag usually weighs around 10-15 oz than a 20* bag. So at best I'd drop 1# for the last 2.5 months of the trip, which is ~3% of the total weight. That's not enough weight to be concerned about as my pack weight is under 30# loaded. I understand what you're saying but it's spend $600 on sleeping bags or pay around $200 for one that will do. From my research the temps at the peaks from NY to ME would be anywhere from 40-55 at night depending on elevation so that 20* bag isn't going to melt me by any stretch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

bangorme
10-02-2013, 17:38
Farmer, read my earlier post. I messed up. But I do expect to do big mileage to finish in 4 months. My job may be put on hold for me if I can swing it. I'm a fast hiker normally anyway so long as my body isn't complaining too much.

bangorme, I can't afford two high dollar bags. Secondly, with good good quality brands the summer bag usually weighs around 10-15 oz than a 20* bag. So at best I'd drop 1# for the last 2.5 months of the trip, which is ~3% of the total weight. That's not enough weight to be concerned about as my pack weight is under 30# loaded. I understand what you're saying but it's spend $600 on sleeping bags or pay around $200 for one that will do. From my research the temps at the peaks from NY to ME would be anywhere from 40-55 at night depending on elevation so that 20* bag isn't going to melt me by any stretch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If weight isn't an issue, then you are right. I sleep in/on my 20 degree bag from 10 degrees to 90 degrees.

southern9
10-03-2013, 23:23
I have the Marmot always summer bag. I've only used it 3 nights so far on a 3 day trek thru Ouachita Mtns. in Arkansas. Only one night/morning was chilly, maybe 50's that night. I was toasty inside, on top of a big agnes Air Core mattress (non insulated). My arm on the outside the bag was noticeably cold. I don't think the pad would fit in the bag with me. My shoulders hardly fit, probably why 1 arm was hanging out. I like the bag though.