PDA

View Full Version : NJ AT Columbus Day week 2013

Rain Man
10-01-2013, 16:32
I'm planning to hike the New Jersey section of the AT in a couple of weeks, starting Monday, Columbus Day (or perhaps some time on Sunday) at Delaware Water Gap and doing the 70-80 miles (depending on where we choose to exit the trail at a road crossing). End day will probably be some time on Saturday, October 19th. That's about 10-12 miles a day. Leisurely.

One or two "local" WBers from up that way plan to meet and hike with me. If anyone else is interested, get in touch with me and let's discuss.

Also, anyone care to share hints, suggestions, warnings, sites to avoid or not-to-miss? What about hunting season? Thanks in advance!

Rain:sunMan

perrito
10-01-2013, 18:29
A great spot is Pinwheel Vista which is at the top of the climb up Wawayanda Mtn. from Rt. 94. A great spot for a break and pictures. On a clear day you can see the Catskills.

Sent via Tapatalk

da fungo
10-01-2013, 18:58
That climb that Perrito mentions, before Warewheel Vista, is probably the steepest and hardest part of the AT in NJ.

Also, be aware that significant parts of the AT between DWG and the Rt 206 crossing at Culver's Gap are across lands under the administration/control of the National Park Service. If the budget impasse isn't resolved by then, it could complicate your hike.

Rain Man
10-02-2013, 11:32
Also, be aware that significant parts of the AT between DWG and the Rt 206 crossing at Culver's Gap are across lands under the administration/control of the National Park Service. If the budget impasse isn't resolved by then, it could complicate your hike.

Did not know that, so this is one reason I posted, exactly for critical info like this. Thanks!

da fungo
10-02-2013, 12:21
It's not the entire AT in NJ; probably not even half. Still, I'd suggest checking the DWGNRA web site for info - I'll pass along anything that I learn.

The New York/New Jersey Trail Conference echos what I said here:

http://www.nynjtc.org/news/government-shutdown-and-trails-new-york-and-new-jersey

There are trails that might skirt the Federal properties. The NY/NJTC map set that covers that area is the Kittatinny map set, available here:

http://www.nynjtc.org/product/kittatinny-trails-map

I believe that they also have a digital version for iPads, if you have such a device. It might well be worth the cost to avoid a problem.

da fungo
10-02-2013, 12:28
Oh:And it's hunting season in NJ, and there is definitely hunting allowed in the NJ State Forests that the AT goes through. Shotgun only in this state, but a 12 gauge slug would probably put a chill on your plans. Be sure to bring some blaze orange along.

da fungo
10-02-2013, 14:55
So, being an unemployed (and apparently unemployable) layabout bum, I spent some time looking into this:

1. I wanted to see if the DWGNRA site had any information about boundaries - but that site, indeed apparently the entire Department of the Interior web site, has been taken offline due to the governmental closure.

2. I can find a moderately decent map of Stokes State Forest, which the AT runs through up in Sussex County. It shows a boundary, apparently with the DWGNRA, about 5-6 miles south of the Route 206 crossing at Culver's Lake.

3. I can't find a decent online map of Worthington State Forest, which the AT runs through from about the Water Gap northward, until where ever it ends.

4. My local library has some VERY dated paper topo maps - some most recently updated in 1968! They're not real clear on boundaries.

5. But, putting all that together, it looks like you'd have to easily traverse 15 or more miles of Federal property. And in that area, I know of at least two places (the Millbrook Road crossing and the Blue Mountain Lake area) where Park Service law enforcement rangers are in the habit of patrolling - based on personal experience.

That's the best that I can tell you. However, the AT goes right through the AMC's Mohican Center. If you called the office there, you might get some better information.

da fungo
10-02-2013, 15:05
Okay, last entry - for a while:

At trails.com, I found some topo maps of the area that, if you zoom in a bit, show the boundaries between Worthington State Forest and the federal lands. It appears to be even worse than I mentioned about - the federal line is way further south than I'd thought.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
10-02-2013, 15:19
Why would it matter? Since the govt is shut down, who will be on the AT to stop you from hiking through?

da fungo
10-02-2013, 18:10
As I believe I said earlier, you can take your chances. But rangers with law enforcement resposibilities are among those deemed "mission essential". And I can tell you, based on personal experience, that the law enforcement staff at DWG are more aggressive and less lenient than other places. Since slo goin's path would take him right across some heavily patrolled spots, with no easy way around them other than bush whacking or long road walks, I thought to give him local information to base a decision on.

Symba
10-02-2013, 21:22
I was on the AT this past weekend Sat to Monday and did from High Point Mountain shelter south to Brinks road shelter. Water isn't great along the trail, mainly at shelter sources. Take a break at Crater lake if you get a chance. I picked up a bunch of garbage at the Brinks shelters; so it is nice and clean there :D There is a new shelter at the Brinks road, maybe plan staying a night there. There is also a lookout platform near the High Point Monument that would be cool to tent on one night IMHO.
http://youtu.be/KgbcPFtg-Zc
http://youtu.be/MjteYGjxBuw and here is a longer one, but from minutes 10 to 15 the aliens took us away and brought us back after minute 15. Have fun. There are more linked to those videos. I've been bored the past week.

da fungo
10-02-2013, 22:33
That lookout platform is pretty cool. I hiked up to it from Mountain Road one snowy winter day. There was too much snow to go beyond it, so I ate lunch while sitting on top of it.

Umlaut Von Fluffbutt
10-02-2013, 22:38
I arrived at the brink shelter a couple of weeks ago in the dark. I saw a light that looked like it was coming from the tree tops and was like ***? Didn't realize that there was a new shelter built there until the morning. I guess it was built less than a year ago.

Rain Man
10-03-2013, 10:34
Why would it matter? Since the govt is shut down, who will be on the AT to stop you from hiking through?

Before you go too far down that path, keep in mind what we all agreed to when joining WB--

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.

All the same, I appreciate all the advice otherwise about the AT in NJ. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the Delaware Water Gap NRRA will be re-opened by then. If not, I'm sure the ATC will have designated an official alternative. Let's see how the next week goes.

Rain Man

da fungo
10-03-2013, 10:50
I know the area pretty well, and there aren't any palatable alternatives.

One longish alternative would be:

From the Pennsylvania town of Delaware Water Gap:

1. Do a 6 mile road walk south to the town of Portland, PA.
2. Cross the Delaware River on the footbridge to Columbia, NJ.
3. Walk east on Rte 46 and find the not well marked southern terminus of the Paulinskill Valley Rail Trail.
4. Hike about 25 miles north to the intersection with the Sussex Branch Rail Trail.
5. Hike about 8 miles north to the trail terminus in Branchville, NJ.
6. Make your way out to Rte 206.
7. Hike about 6 miles north to Culver's Gap, and the AT road crossing there.

At that point, you'll be north of all federal property that the AT crosses in NJ, except for a small section in the Walkill Wildlife Management Area, between Unionville, NY and Pochuck Mountain. And that's very easy to avoid.

Well, there's a slightly shorter alternative, but it involves walking on an active railroad right of way (trespassing) and crossing the Delaware on an abandoned railroad bridge.

Symba
10-03-2013, 11:14
Darnit Rainman!!! IF the DWG is closed this means my sponsored hike from rt 80 to the Mohican Outdoor center (AMC run) is going to be blocked? Here is a link to that hike I am supposed to do this Sunday. Now I need to shoot an email to the Hike for Mental Health organizers. https://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/hike/campaign.jsp?campaign=27&team=160&fundraiser=1204&#.UjW6VVkZmOY.facebook

ezdoesit
10-03-2013, 11:25
Here is a copy and paste from Trail Journals posted by Laurie from ATC headquarters
http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?EntryID=146588

da fungo
10-03-2013, 11:27
Well, like I've been trying to say:

It's confusing and not well documented exactly where the lines of Federal and State properties intersect there.

The best maps that I've been able to suggest that:

By I-80, the trail is on federal land.

Shortly after heading north, the trail crosses into state land, part of Worthington State Forest.

Somewhere north of there, I think after Sunfish Pond but well before the Mohican Center, the trail enters federal land again, and stays on federal land to within about 5 miles of Culver's Gap, where it enters Stokes State Forest.

So yeah, regretfully, your planned hike may be impacted.

no-name
10-03-2013, 14:34
I did the 35 miles sobo from Route 94 Vernon, NJ to Route 206 Culvers Gap, over Labor Day weekend. I have some pics in my gallery with some descriptions. Do not miss the Murray Property, just before you will get to Unionville. It is one of the most beautiful places in NJ. Also, if staying at Pochuck Mountain Shelter, be SURE to fill up with water at the white house at the beginning of the climb. No water at that shelter. I carried a full can of bug spray and used permithren for the first time. I did need the bug treatment, other hikers were getting attacked, though, it may be better now.

Symba
10-04-2013, 12:19
Before they put in the boardwalk near Vernon I was attacked by bugs so bad I had to get off the trail for a week and take medicines. I've been through there since and highly suggest using permithren before going on your hike; plus carry a head net. Those two combinations worked for me and I didn't need a bottle of bug spray. Beautiful area, swampy equals buggy.

Second Half
10-05-2013, 08:39
I'm heading down to DWG right now (breakfast at the diner!). I'll see what's going on at the Dunfield Creek trailhead.

Second Half
10-05-2013, 12:51
Well if the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in NJ is closed, they forgot to tell anybody. The parking lot off I-80 at Dunfield Creek is jammed full of cars and lots of people are out hiking/recreating. I talked with 2 NJ Parks employees who said as far as they know there's no problem hiking any of the AT in NJ. There are no barricades, signs, guards, nothing to indicate anything is out of the ordinary. I also spoke with 2 SOBOs at the Church of the Mountain hostel who hiked through NJ without incident and saw no signs of the trail being closed.

Long story short, we'll have no problems Rain Man. Hike on!

da fungo
10-05-2013, 14:29
That's excellent.

Rain Man
10-05-2013, 21:23
Long story short, we'll have no problems Rain Man. Hike on!

That's excellent.

Indeed!!! Thanks for the investigation, Second Half! I've started packing.

da fungo
10-05-2013, 22:25
Indeed!!! Thanks for the investigation, Second Half! I've started packing.

Got any idea what day you'll make it to Culver's Gap/the Route 206 crossing?

Rain Man
10-05-2013, 22:50

Not right at hand, but I'll try to give you an answer tomorrow after I get out my map and guidebook again. I'm figuring on 10 or 12 miles a day, if that helps. Probably starting by that Monday morning. It'll partly depend on Second Half. He's going to hike with me again.

Rain Man

Schnitzel
10-06-2013, 08:13
Just a heads up - I think that the Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge might be closed - it's not a very big part of the trail, and I think I can be bypassed pretty easily, but forewarned is forearmed. It's a shame if it is - it's one of my favorite parts of the NJ section - hundreds of different bird species to see. . .

da fungo
10-06-2013, 11:10
It's a very easy area to bypass if you need to. At the point that you'll come to the Wallkill NWR, you're already on a bit of a road walk, on State Line Road. The AT turns south (right) off the trail and skirts a rectangular old soil extraction area that is now a marshy area. Instead of following the trail off road around the marshy area, you'd just continue straight ahead until State Line Road changes name to Oil City Road, and then until it intersects Liberty Corners Road. Turn right (south) onto Liberty Corners Road, and continue for about a mile until the AT road crossing - but watch closely for the trail markers at the crossing, they aren't well marked, I recall.

I've had no luck getting a map image to upload here today, so I'll email you the map I've made showing the detour route.

Rain Man
10-06-2013, 16:33
I've had no luck getting a map image to upload here today, so I'll email you the map I've made showing the detour route.

Got it! Much appreciated.

Rain Man
10-06-2013, 22:36

It's a guess right now, but my guess is some time on Wednesday, October 16. Might have a more definite idea later this week. Assuming I have cell service on the trail, I could shoot you an update, if you'll PM me your number.

Second Half
10-08-2013, 17:40
OK y'all, it's getting to be last call if anyone wants to join in. I'm planning to step on the trail Saturday morning in Wind Gap PA and will meet up with Rain Man in DWG on Sunday, or at the backpackers campsite near Sunfish Pond on Sunday night or Monday morning. Then Rain Man will hike north for the week and I'll do my best to keep up. It should be fun, the leaves should be colorful and the long-range weather forecast is shaping up nicely. C'mon along, you know you want to!

Rain Man
10-08-2013, 19:45
OK y'all, it's getting to be last call if anyone wants to join in. I'm planning to step on the trail Saturday morning in Wind Gap PA and will meet up with Rain Man in DWG on Sunday, or at the backpackers campsite near Sunfish Pond on Sunday night or Monday morning. Then Rain Man will hike north for the week and I'll do my best to keep up. It should be fun, the leaves should be colorful and the long-range weather forecast is shaping up nicely. C'mon along, you know you want to!

Well said... except as I recall you had no problem keeping up in north PA in April! I might be the one limping along. I haven't practiced for this hike.

But truly, if anyone wants to come out to hike with us a bit, or just meet to grab a bite to eat somewhere, or whatever, speak up. Don't be shy.

ezdoesit
10-08-2013, 20:25
Hey I'll be at Stokes the 16th,17th and out on the 18th where will you be.
I plan to either hike to Brink Rd. then back out to Gren Anderson

perrito
10-08-2013, 20:25
Rain Man,
Post your expected itinerary when you can. I maybe able to pay a visit. Are you planning on a stay at Mashipacong shelter?

Rain Man
10-09-2013, 11:41
Darnit Rainman!!! IF the DWG is closed this means my sponsored hike from rt 80 to the Mohican Outdoor center (AMC run) is going to be blocked? ... Now I need to shoot an email to the Hike for Mental Health organizers.

Hey Symba, what did you find out? What happened with your hike? Curious minds want to know. ;)

Rain Man

Symba
10-09-2013, 19:54
Hey Rain Man, the hike went great with the group. Rangers didn't care that everyone was hiking. No issues on the trail. By mid afternoon, when we were done with the hike, the Dunfield parking lot area was so packed cars were out on the roadside parked. No issues with the trail, nothing to worry about. I am seeing about someone watching my dogs so I can join you guys some; or not, in the air and a last minute thing.

Second Half
10-09-2013, 22:30
Symba: Thanks for your report. Did you happen to notice if water is available at the MOC? The SOBOs I met said water in NJ is iffy thanks to the dry September we had. I'm a bit concerned once we're past Sunfish Pond.

Rain Man
10-09-2013, 23:20
This is a tentative schedule I sketched out tonight. It's certainly not set in stone. Happy to hear any critiques or concerns. Also, happy to have folks come out and join us on the trail or just meet us at road crossings to visit or run to a restaurant, or whatever. I have already swapped cell numbers with a couple of folks.

Sun eve - hike 4.6 miles from DWG to "Backpacker Site."
Mon - hike 11.4 miles to "Campsite."
Tue - hike 11.7 miles to Hwy 206 (places to stay?)
Wed - hike 11.7 miles to Rutherford Shelter
Thur - hike 12.5 miles to Unionville
Fri - hike 10.7 miles to Vernon (St. Thomas hostel?)
Sat - hike 15 miles to NY Hwy 17A

Symba
10-10-2013, 14:42
Symba: Thanks for your report. Did you happen to notice if water is available at the MOC? The SOBOs I met said water in NJ is iffy thanks to the dry September we had. I'm a bit concerned once we're past Sunfish Pond.
Honestly, I didn't look anywhere for water. We started at the road/trail crossing near the MOC and went south to the Dunfield/rt 80 parking lot. Water should be a little better in its' sources due to the rainfall we have had the past few days. The water was fine at the Brinks rd. shelters over a week ago; but from there northbound it is iffy; I'd carry two liters at the least IMHO.

Symba
10-10-2013, 14:46
Tue - hike 11.7 miles to Hwy 206 (places to stay?) From rt 206 if you go south about half a mile at the south end of the lake along the road is the 'blue ribbon' for good eats; a little further down 206 is another motel (cannot remember names, sorry). Going NOBO on rt 206 there is a small motel w/restaurant across the way; about two miles or so. If you feel good after the 11.7 miles there is an up on the AT from culver's gap and a ridge walk NOBO to a shelter a few miles in (Glen Anderson Shelter).

Rain Man
10-10-2013, 18:14
Thanks for the info on Hwy 206, Symba!

Tue - hike 11.7 miles to Hwy 206 (places to stay?) From rt 206 if you go south about half a mile at the south end of the lake along the road is the 'blue ribbon' for good eats; a little further down 206 is another motel (cannot remember names, sorry). Going NOBO on rt 206 there is a small motel w/restaurant across the way; about two miles or so. If you feel good after the 11.7 miles there is an up on the AT from culver's gap and a ridge walk NOBO to a shelter a few miles in (Glen Anderson Shelter).

Rain Man
10-21-2013, 09:42
Back home from my hike, safe and sound! What GREAT weather we had all week. Rained part of one night at the "Secret Shelter," after we were snugly bedded down for the night. Here's a link to the photo album I posted of the hike, but I haven't had time to post captions yet, so visit later to get the details.

Photo Album of the hike. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/18038982/)

My family re-arranged my shuttle plans on me, so I finished a day early, in Vernon, NJ and did not hike on Saturday (as previously planned) at all.

A.T.Lt
10-21-2013, 10:06
Back home from my hike, safe and sound! What GREAT weather we had all week. Rained part of one night at the "Secret Shelter," after we were snugly bedded down for the night. Here's a link to the photo album I posted of the hike, but I haven't had time to post captions yet, so visit later to get the details.

Photo Album of the hike. (http://www.meetup.com/NashvilleBackpacker/photos/18038982/)

My family re-arranged my shuttle plans on me, so I finished a day early, in Vernon, NJ and did not hike on Saturday (as previously planned) at all.

Great photos! This is one of my favorite sections to hike this time of year.

moose717
10-21-2013, 20:34
Great pictures Rain Man ... thanks for sharing!

Tron-Life
10-23-2013, 18:49
Wow. Great pictures! I'm planning a hike from Highpoint to Bear Mountain some time before it starts to snow up here, so I will be covering a lot of the same ground that you covered on your trip; I'd love to read a more detailed trip report if you ever feel like writing one.

I live up around Port Jervis, so if you are planning anymore AT trips in that vicinity again PM me, I'd love to meet some fellow hikers in the area!

Tron-Life
10-23-2013, 19:04
Two years ago, I hiked from Highpoint to Del Water Gap around this same time of year. From your experience and knowledge of the area, would you expect snow up on the ridge in early November? If so Micro spikes should be adequate right? I'm not worried about snow being too deep, I'm worried about the bare rocks being too slippery for Micros or the rocks grinding them down or shifting them around my shoe causing me to trip. I'm also curious as to how easy or hard is was for you guys to find water in the NJ sections you hiked.

Sorry to bombard you with questions I'm just excited to hear how it went!

Best Wishes,
Tron-Life