PDA

View Full Version : Delorme InReach vs. Spot Gen 3?

slbirdnerd
10-01-2013, 20:45
Which do you use and which do you like best? I want something for safety and communication but would love a GPS, but don't want to carry both. Thoughts?

Stalking Tortoise
10-02-2013, 07:54
I have no experience with the SPOT Gen 3 but have been using my inReach blue paired to an Android device since last April. One of the important benefits that comes with the inReach is the ability to download Delorme's topo maps to your device. The AT and many of the shelters are shown on the maps so it's very useful. The downside to the blue unit is that you need to carry the inReach AND the paired device. Not a big problem, since most folks would be carrying a smartphone anyway. The maps work with the GPS antenna within the phone and can be used independently of the inReach.

I don't know how the maps work with the inReach SE. Maybe someone will chime in with their experience.

As for communication and safety, I lent my inReach to a friend who was out elk hunting in Colorado last month. He was in a wilderness area and was about a 2.5-hour horseback ride from the outfitter's lodge. The unit allowed him to keep in touch with his wife and she was able to relay several important messages to the outfitter. The system worked flawlessly for nine days.

slbirdnerd
10-02-2013, 08:56
Thanks, Stalking Tortoise, this is helpful. I think the SE is their new (only) model currently and from what I've read it sounds like it does what you're talking about. I was curious about the pairing and maps so I"m glad to hear how well it works for you. With the REI 20% off member special for fall I got in the mail yesterday, I'm leaning toward this. :)

Stalking Tortoise
10-02-2013, 09:45
DeLorme maps are the schnizzle! I still use my paper DeLorme Gazeteer maps for plotting motorcycle trips on the roads less traveled. Having them on my phone is a bonus to the inReach subscription. My understanding is that you can still use the DeLorme Earthmate app on your phone with the inReach SE.

FWIW, the Earthmate app saved the day at the end of my last section hike in New Hampshire. My buddy uses his phone as a GPS in his car. Unfortunately, he needs a data signal for navigation and data service was hard to come by in the area south of Moosilauke. I fired up my phone with the internal GPS & Earthmate app and successfully navigated us back to the starting point.

One last thing - I have found the Iridium satellite network to provide good coverage through the inReach. Outgoing messages get sent within a minute or two and any incoming messages are received immediately thereafter.

RF_ace
10-02-2013, 10:09
inreach all the way!

slbirdnerd
10-02-2013, 12:12
Thanks, guys! I think I'm sold. Tortoise, I ride as well but hadn't thought about the dual purpose. Perfect!

Theosus
10-05-2013, 22:43
Love my pn60 gps... I'd like a SE, but their plans are a bit pricey.

CoffeeBager
10-06-2013, 23:17
With the REI 20% off member special for fall I got in the mail yesterday, I'm leaning toward this. :)

Unfortunately, I think this is excluded from the sale/coupon. You'd get 10% back as a member refund, but as far as I can see, you can't use your coupon with it. :(

slbirdnerd
10-07-2013, 12:23
Thanks, CoffeeBagger. I went with shoes and will save for the InReach. Or, only 78 shopping days until Christmas, Santa! ;)

slbirdnerd
01-04-2014, 16:34
Hey InReach guys, I got one! But I took it on a quick day hike this morning and it didn't record all of my waypoints (set to 10 minutes). I'm wondering if I powered it off too soon after I got to the car or something. Anyone have trouble with this?

Shutterbug
01-04-2014, 23:55
Hey InReach guys, I got one! But I took it on a quick day hike this morning and it didn't record all of my waypoints (set to 10 minutes). I'm wondering if I powered it off too soon after I got to the car or something. Anyone have trouble with this? Is it possible that you positioned the unit so that something solid was between the unit and the sky. I have had missed tracking points in two instances: 1)When I have positioned the unit so that something blocked the signal or when I am in a slot canyon where there is no clear view of the sky.

Just because the unit is getting a strong gps signal, does not necessarily mean that it has a clear view of the satellite that send and receives messages. They are different satellites.