PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a tent

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 04:40
Hi everyone.. I've been backpacking and camping tons of times when I was younger.. now I am 24 and looking to do the trail.. I just bought a bunch of camping gear and I'm getting ready to prepare for a couple hikes and camping gatherings with friends..

Now I have a 2 person coleman tent.. but it is HUGE in the sack.. and probably weighs 7 or 8 pounds. I cannot fit it into my pack when the sleeping bag and my clothes are in it (REI Mars pack - 5,500 cubic inches)and it's almost too big to strap to the outside..

I've been looking around at the many types of tents, tarp tents, etc.. but I am overwhelmed and not good at decisions.. so I wanted some expert advice.. So basically I'm looking for a tent for around $200.. here is what I'm looking for in a tent -

- I have a down sleeping bag, and I hate getting wet more than anything.. so bombproof/weatherproof is my biggest concern. I want a tent that will stay completely dry inside during the most hardcore downpours. Nothing worse than being wet/having wet gear on the trail IMO.

- I want it to be able to pack up small, so I can fit it inside my pack, and light.. under 4 pounds sounds good.

- A vestibule is a must - for storing gear and cooking in nasty weather, and opening the door without getting soaked inside.

- Also I want one with a full fly (that comes to the ground) .. I don't trust those half fly or three quarter flies.

Honestly, I'm wary about single-wall tents. For some reason I feel they wont offer the same protection from the elements. Maybe you can convince me otherwise.. I'm willing to look at any option.

So can someone help me find a small (packed), light, completely waterproof 2-man tent with a full fly and a vestibule that will last me a while (durable) and cost no more than around $200? Does such a thing exist? I've looked at so many different tents but I can't even begin to decide.. plus I want advice from people who have experience with certain ones. I'm totally a perfectionist.. and when it comes to my shelter, that's my cocoon.. my comfort zone.. so I need to feel secure in it. This is my most important piece of gear. However I'm poor.. so I can't afford a bibler.

Little help? :D

Roland
08-15-2005, 05:17
Your price constraints limit your options considerably.

Check-out REI Quarter Dome. If you're willing to wait till it comes on sale, the SD Lightning seems to fit the bill.

Roland

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 05:25
I would be able to scrape up a little bit more for more quality.. but that's all I want.. quality.. don't need any frills or fancyness.. just a solid tent.

The quarter dome looks iffy to me.. The lightning looks great though and I see Campmor has it for 220

Roland
08-15-2005, 05:29
I would be able to scrape up a little bit more for more quality.. but that's all I want.. quality.. don't need any frills or fancyness.. just a solid tent.

The quarter dome looks iffy to me.. The lightning looks great though and I see Campmor has it for 220
You can't go wrong with the quality of SD Lightning. It's a good tent. Another reason for favoring it, is that you don't have to thread the poles through sleeves. The price you quote is a good deal.

Roland

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 05:38
It looks like a great tent.. carbon fiber poles and no threading.. that price is for the 2004 lightning but it's still new so who cares right? What about the clip flashlight 2? Any big differences?

Roland
08-15-2005, 05:43
It looks like a great tent.. carbon fiber poles and no threading.. that price is for the 2004 lightning but it's still new so who cares right? What about the clip flashlight 2? Any big differences?
The Lightning is free-standing.

Heater
08-15-2005, 06:10
The 2005 version is 7 oz lighter than the 2004 lightning. Not sure what they did to lighten it. I think they might have shortened the length by two inches or so.
I know my 2005 model doesn't have the pocket inside but who needs that anyway?

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 06:14
The Lightning is free-standing.
Ok excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between that and a non free-standing? Does that mean the lightning will go flying away at the first high wind? I of course stake out.. and use guy lines whenever possible.

capoken
08-15-2005, 07:27
Ok excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between that and a non free-standing? Does that mean the lightning will go flying away at the first high wind? I of course stake out.. and use guy lines whenever possible.
A free standing tent can be set up anywhere - say - on a platfrom or in your living room. the poles support the weight of the tent and you don't NEED to stake it out for the BASIC set up. A non-free standing tent requires that you stake it into the ground in order for it to be erected. the poles generally do not cross one another. non-free standing tents are generally lighter in weight but require a good amount of turf to be set up - or you can tie the stake points to a platfrom.

But tents is general isolate you from the fun of sleeping outside - my unsolicited 2 cents is to look into a tarp and bivy. That way, when no rain is expected, you can sleep under the stars and really be outside. And when there is rain, there is nothing more fun than being under a dry tarp while the wind and rain whistle around you. Too cool......

Heater
08-15-2005, 07:47
A free standing tent can be set up anywhere - say - on a platfrom or in your living room. the poles support the weight of the tent and you don't NEED to stake it out for the BASIC set up. A non-free standing tent requires that you stake it into the ground in order for it to be erected. the poles generally do not cross one another. non-free standing tents are generally lighter in weight but require a good amount of turf to be set up - or you can tie the stake points to a platfrom.
With the Lightning you really need at least 3 stakes to set it up properly with the rain fly. 2 for the Vestibule and one to guy out the back. If you just want to set up the tent body to keep the bugs away on a clear night or in a covered area then you can just put it together and hop in. I still like to stake it down if i can.

Jaybird
08-15-2005, 08:23
Yo Shroomism:

REI.com (http://www.rei.com/category/4500666.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC) has several lightweight tents that would fit your needs for UNDER $200.

i bought my wife a 2-person tent (TexSport Knollwood bivy (http://www.texsport.com/tents.html)) a couple years back (a "CHEAPIE")...& i've been using it ever since on my A.T. Section hikes.

ck 'em out!

canoehead
08-15-2005, 08:24
check out the Northface vector 22 just 4lbs, freestanding, sets up fast. at 17,000' in Cotopaxi National Park in Ecuadorit held up in strong winds, rain/ snow... Good tent

safe adventures
canoehead

Seeker
08-15-2005, 10:48
if you want "bombproof" (dry, no bugs), find someone who uses a hammock and try out their setup for a night, in your backyard or whatever. you might just get addicted... it's my cocoon, dry as a bone, and nothing ever leaks in from the bottom. no hard ground either!

i use a hennessy hammock backpacker asym. wieghs about 32 oz. their explorer model is another popular one, and weighs about 40 oz i think. i use the stock diamond-shaped tarp, which can be a bit tricky in wet weather. they make a hex tarp that's bigger and you might prefer that. there are some drawbacks to hammocks though. some people need more room, especially if they like to thrash around in their sleep. you need two trees about 15' apart. you don't have a 'vestibule' per se, but you can just lay your stuff under the hammock before you get in. that bothers some people. personally, i hang my pack on the tree holding the foot end of my hammock, or bring it inside (it's small when empty. a golite gust).

the sleeping pad i use is a 24'' wide blue foam pad with a few 'wings' on the sides (so it comes up around my shoulders), and weighs about 13 oz or so.

so my whole setup, shelter and pad, weighs 45 oz, under 3 lbs.

oh. and it costs way less than $200...

jeepcj258
08-15-2005, 13:39
rei halfdome. Maybe a bit heavy for what you are wanting? I have it and love it, very well constructed big (this is important to me), affordable, and you get the REI warranty.

squirrel bait
08-15-2005, 15:22
Used REI Roadster from WB member, works for me. Extra JRB silnylon tarp for clear/bugless nights. Total for both under under 4lbs and 100 dollars.

Peaks
08-15-2005, 15:50
If you truely want to find out what others are using, then go to the ALDHA Gathering or Trail Days. Talk with the hikers there about what they are using.

Just Jeff
08-15-2005, 18:08
The quarter dome looks iffy to me.
IIRC, it won the Backpacker Magazine Editor's Choice not too long ago.

www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)
Squall - $195 - Sleeps 2 (1+gear) - 28 oz
Virga - $175 - Sleeps 1+ - 24 oz
Cloudburst - $205 - Sleeps 2 - 32 oz

I don't think you'll find a tarptent user who doesn't love these tents...check the archives or reviews at http://www.backpackgeartest.org.

peter_pan
08-15-2005, 19:59
Seeker,

If you want a place to put gear off the ground for hammocking, check out Jeff's Gear Hammock/Pack Cover now commercially available at www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www,jacksrbetter.com) . BTW the regular size will fit perfectly between the Hennessy knot and the side tie out on the short side segment ( right foot and head/left shoulder sides).

Pan

Seeker
08-16-2005, 01:14
Seeker,

If you want a place to put gear off the ground for hammocking, check out Jeff's Gear Hammock/Pack Cover now commercially available at www.jacksrbetter.com (http://www,jacksrbetter.com/) . BTW the regular size will fit perfectly between the Hennessy knot and the side tie out on the short side segment ( right foot and head/left shoulder sides).

Pan
i was just mentioning one of the 'negatives' some people see in hammocks, sort of both sides of the issue. i'm happy with my "pack in the tree" system, but you've given me something to think about... that sort of gear loft-ish thing might just come in handy...:-? i'll check it out. thanks!

Shroomism
08-16-2005, 01:40
ok I am thinking either the North Face Tadpole 23 or Sierra Designs Lightning

Just Jeff
08-16-2005, 02:34
Grasshopper, 5 pounds is WAY too much to hump for a tent. Even if you're sharing it with two people, you can STILL cut off 3 more POUNDS!

Go with what you're comfortable with, though.

:)

alalskaman
08-16-2005, 03:59
I second the tarptent idea....being single wall and very intelligently designed, they are quicker and easier to pitch than doublewall tents. Very stormworthy. I too use a down bag --- condensation is not an issue if you sort of go up one size...got a bit when I put two people in my Squall, but no prob. with just me. and that's here in Southcentral Alaska, very condensation prone. If you want two, go for one of Henry's 3 person tents, they are still lighter than most one person tents.

Just Jeff
08-16-2005, 10:44
Shroom, you'll find all the info you need about tarptents here, including condensation issues, stormworthiness, durability, etc.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/search.php?search=tarptent&start=0

mhussey
08-16-2005, 12:46
For what it is worth, I was in the same predicament as yourself and compared several tents ( including the SD lightning and NF Tadepole). In the end, I purchased the MSR Hubba Hubba. I love the tent, light weight, perfect size for two, two doors and two vestiubles, and it is freestanding. It also won the 2005 BP Choice Award.

Nearly Normal
08-17-2005, 12:06
I have a SD Hyperlight. It is a great tent but heavy (5 + lbs). I only use it when the wife goes. Spliting up the weight works. Mostly I use a tarp.
There are a lot of choices if you research. Backpacker Mag comes out with a review each year. This guide will point you at all that's out there. I'm not so sure of the reviews.
There are a few well made items that are less than 3 lbs if you look. All it takes is money......................
Pete

billdnc
08-17-2005, 12:53
I used a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight tent for many years. I actually used it all four seasons. Because it is not freestanding it only needs two short poles and pitches very fast and weight less than four pounds. My daughter is still using it.I see that it is still sold from $ 120 To $ 180.

Jack Tarlin
08-17-2005, 13:01
You might want to have a look at www.mountainhardwear.com For example, I know that the Waypoint One weighs less than 3 pounds and lists, I think, for $195.00.

I bought my tent from MH in January of '96 and am still using it almost ten years later, in fact I'm sleeping in it tonight. It has about 16,000 miles on it and is doing fine.

Great company, great gear.

generoll
08-17-2005, 13:05
You might find the Mega-Mid a good choice. It is absolutely waterproof and roomy enough to keep your gear in it as well as cook in. It's light and won't take up a lot of room in your pack and if you hike with a stick you can use your hiking staff as the center pole and leave the tent pole behind. I slept four in it once, so there is plenty of room for one and gear.

Draw backs:

It's not breathable, so condensation will accumulate and in strong winds you'll get droplets or water or ice falling on you, depending on the temp.

It's not self supporting so you need to either use a center pole or pitch it beneath an overhanging branch and use a rope through the eyelet provided.

There's no floor so you will need to carry a ground cloth. I bought it specifically for this reason since I frequently hike with my dog and didn't want his nails tearing up the tent floor, but some may consider this a disadvantage.

You will find these tents on Ebay for under $200, so it should be within your price range.

As a final note, a freestanding tent can be set up without staking, since the poles give it its' shape. This tent must be staked at the corners and then raised with the center pole.

mooseboy
08-17-2005, 13:35
You asked about the Sierra Designs clip flashlight 2, shroomism. I own it, and have been thoroughly satisfied with everything from the weight to the weatherproofing.

Camped in a couple storms with it, and stayed totally dry (except for some slight unavoidable condensation). True, the staking can be a pain (you need to drive all 9 stakes for the floor to lie truly flat), but once you get used to that, the setup is quick & easy. It weighs just over 4 lbs.

Also, it's excellent for solo hiking if you're the kind of person who prefers to spread out inside your tent, or bring your gear inside. I've used it with 2 people as well, which is definitely possible but somewhat cozy so hopefully you're sharing it with your girl/boyfriend...

The value is good, too, esp. if you buy last year's model. It's not like each year's version has huge improvements. Campmor usually gives you the biggest discounts on these.

However, if you need freestanding, this won't be for you. Though it's technically possible to get it partly erected without driving any stakes, the inside will be very floppy. I don't expect this will matter, though, unless you are determined to camp on rocktops or tent platforms.

Good luck choosing! :sun