PDA

View Full Version : How do you pack it all? / review my gear

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 06:05
Hi it's me again. I'm not new to hiking or backpacking, but it's been many years since I've gone, and never on my own. Well I'm hitting plenty of trails this summer and throughout the winter.. all over the place. And I'd like some advice on my gear.

So I haven't bothered weighing anything yet.. and I have yet to get a tent that actually fits in my pack so I've only been car camping thus far. But here's my gear-

- Pack: REI Mars Large (5,500 cubic inches)
- Shelter: SD Lightning (getting soon)
- Sleeping: REI Marmot long (15 degree) mummy bag, closed-cell foam pad.. cut 3/4
- Cooking: MSR whisperlite international, 22oz fuel bottle
- Kitchen: Evernew Titanium non stick (2)pots.. steel mug, indestructable spork, nalgene bottles with oil/herbs/spices
- First Aid - Way too big.. need to downsize
- Clothes: Working on this.. still have lots of cotton :eek:
- Repair/Survival Kit - Duct tape, safety pins, thread & needle, wire, candles, emergency blanket, knife, matches, lighter, magnesium flint, leatherman, etc
- Water Filter: MSR Miniworks ES
- 200' Parachute Cord
- Sunglasses, Suntan Lotion, Concentrated bug spray
- Sun/Rain Hat
- Headlamp
- Nalgene Wide Mouth
- MSR dromlite 2L
- Bathroom: Hand sanitizer, TP, toothbrush/paste, dr bonners, hand wipes, bandana

And a bunch of little things, some of which I should probably get rid of.:datz

So how do you guys fit it all in? Do you use compression sacks?
It seems like I wont have enough room for food once I have all my clothes in there. I need some new clothes anyway.. to prepare for winter.. some fleece/wool pants and socks.. nylon/poly whatever shirts and pullover.. waterproof parka and pants? I was thinking of getting a compression sack for my clothes and one for my sleeping bag. Oh and I need a bear bag too.

And how are you supposed to use these Dromlite bags? Do they sell tubes with bite valves that you can attach to them so you can use like a camelback?

Ahh.. please help me get organized in this mess of gear. Thanks

Hammock Hanger
08-15-2005, 07:29
I find compression sacks actually waste space. I use larger bags so that as I push things down all the nooks and grannies fill up thus giving me more pack room.

capoken
08-15-2005, 07:36
Maybe you should take some time looking into the "ultralight" section for advice on how to save some weight and make things less complicated. But first I'd say ditch the heavy leatherman and bring only one pot. Also a 15 degree bad is an overkill. You can get a 25-40 degree bad that weighs only 1.5 lbs. Take that magnesium flint and either bust it into a small piece or ditch it all togther - just keep your lighter dry. Or bring two lighters- far from eachother in your pack - in ziplock bags. you can replace that heavy stove with an esbit or alcohal stove - they weigh only a couple oz. I doubt you'll be doing more than boiling water anyway. And don't bring ANY cotton. Buy some sythetic zip off pants - a few coolmax T shirts & underwear- and some sythetic long johns. Ditch the hand wipes in favor of some liquid hand sanatizer. I could probably go on and on - but do look into "ultralight" to simplify and lighten. You'll be glad you did once you get your base weight (before food, water, fuel) down under 15 lbs. 10 lbs in achievable but only for the very experienced. Good luck! You have the right attitude.

Frosty
08-15-2005, 07:41
I used to use ZipLoc freezer bags for clothes, etc, but now use silnylon stuff sacks. They are not really compression sacks, but do compress a bit and I find they save some space. Mostly, though, they keep like items together. One sack, for instance, has my back up socks/underwear, another has long sleeved shirt and pants, one the clothes I sleep in and stuff I use at night.

If you have too much stuff to fit, try an overnight backpack with only the things you need. Leave out things like spices. Keep taking out luxuries until everything fits in your bag. If you survive the night out, you know you can safely leave that stuff behind.

If your tent is small enough, consider storing it outside the pack, in a pocket or lashed on. The advantage is not so much gaining space in the pack, but for when it rains. First, you won't be putting a wet tent inside your pack. Second, you can pack your backpack completely inside the tent on rainy mornings, put the pack cover on it, then strike the tent. When the tent is in its stuff sack, take the pack rain cover off, lash on the tent, and put the rain cover back on. It sounds complicated, but the benefits are immediately and intuitively obvious the first time you do it on a downpour morning.

Jaybird
08-15-2005, 07:59
Yo Shroomism:

200 feet of cord????

what the Hell are you gonna use that for?

20-30' should be PLENTY!

you mention Nalgene bottleS(weight: approx 8oz EACH!) ...(3 by my count)...get rid of 'em.

grab a water bottle ...(weight approx. 1 oz empty)from the local grocery store

Your REPAIR/SURVIVAL kit...can, for the most part, be left @ home
keep a 1 oz knife & waterproof patches, throw out everything else.

you're just OVER-packing...most "NEWBIES" do...

SUGGESTION: take your packed bag...to your local outfitter...grab a hiker (with experience) there for a "shakedown".

you WONT regret it!

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 08:06
I have two 2L outdoor research hydroseal bags that I'm using for clothes now.. they work pretty well. I haven't gotten the new tent yet but I don't think I'll have a problem fitting this one in, or I can lash it on. As far as leaving things out.. well I'm sticking with the bag and stove.. herbs and spices take up little to no space and they are inside the pot. I think my problem was that I just wasn't stuffing things enough.. the pack expands more than I thought. Thanks for the tips guys.

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 08:13
Ok.. I can loosen some stuff..
hehe 200 feet of cord.. I actually used 150 of it at a gathering recently.. stringing up tarps.. but yeah you're right..
ahh but the nalgene is fine.. I only have one.. and it screws onto my water filter.

Footslogger
08-15-2005, 08:35
I find compression sacks actually waste space. I use larger bags so that as I push things down all the nooks and grannies fill up thus giving me more pack room.=====================================
Made the same change years ago and find it to work better for me. I use silnylon stuff sacks (non compression) and put sleeping bag in one, clothes in one and food in one. Everything else goes in by itself or in a small ditty bag. You end up using space inside the pack more efficiently.

'Slogger

Icicle
08-15-2005, 11:04
I'd say get rid of the waterproof matches. My husband used to swear by them, but I always carried a disposable lighter.

A disposable lighter will still work even after going through the washing machine.

My husband now carries a disposable lighter...after his waterproof matches failed on a particularly rainy weekend hike and he sheepishly had to ask to use my lighter! ;)

Seeker
08-15-2005, 11:04
shroomism,

200' of line? 50' is enough to bear bag, and maybe a few more feet (like 5) for repairs. you can pull the little strings out of the inside too.

nalgene bottle? get a large-mouth aquafina bottle for $1. only 1 oz empty (vs 6 for a nalgene).

water filter? about a pound, right? aqua mira drops. no weird iodine taste, weighs about 3 oz.

clothes? you don't need no stinkin' clothes! (just kidding.) shorts are my preference, even in colder weather. once you're walking, you warm right up. if you stop, put on your rainpants. i use polypro longjohns under that if it's really cold. but i don't carry two pairs of pants. synthetic t-shirt is great. i rinse mine daily. socks-three pairs. wear one, drying one, have one spare.

stove-msr simmerlite is lighter. 22 oz bottle works better than the smaller one, if you have to use it. alcohol stove is lighter. look into it.

tent- see my previous discussion of a hammock.

good luck.

Just Jeff
08-15-2005, 12:05
Hike in swim trunks - light, dry faster, no need for underwear, reduces chafe (for me, anyway)

Nylon thermals for sleeping or colder weather.

If it's really cold, wear your shorts, thermals and rain pants. That's usually enough when you're hiking. If it's THAT cold, you'll be in your bag when you stop, anyway.

Aqua Mira + regular old water bottles. (Hard to leave the filter behind when you've already paid for it, huh? It'll save you almost a pound and a half...up to you.)

Check out hammocks. If you're committed to the ground because you like to be uncomfortabe at night ( :p ), check out tarptents.

My survival/first aid/repair kit has some bandaids, about 5' of duct tape wrapped around a piece of cardboard, a few safety pins, neosporin, lighter, a baggie of dryer lint for firestarter, hand sanitizer (kept in a baggie with my tp), and not much more.

A 30' length of paracord is enough for bearbagging. If you want more, 20' should be PLENTY. If someone didn't bring enough to string up their own tarps, let them get wet so they'll know better next time! Or let them sleep on the ground under your hammock.

Just some thoughts from a not-yet-thru-hiker...

Seeker
08-15-2005, 15:20
schroomism - some more thoughts:

titanium spork? have you tried using it yet? do this... use it for every meal for the next two days. then decide if you want to use it, or a spoon. wonderful concept, but i hate that i can't (emphasis on "I", as your mileage may vary) drink soup/cocoa with it very well. very sloppy. i prefer a lexan tablespoon. cools down faster than metal, so i don't burn my tongue/lips, and you can use it in no-stick cookware. not a problem with a titanium pot. also, if you get rid of the steel mug and sub a 1-cup platic one, you'll be lighter and have something to measure with (though, admittedly, i have scratched 1 and 2 cup lines on my pot, so i don't need to measure anymore.)

first aid kit? i carry the following: a few bandaids with the neosporin already on them (gift from my kids. more expensive, but convenient). one army-issue triangle bandage (includes two large safety pins). one army-issue field dressing. one set of really pointy metal tweezers (can't do much with the swiss army ones). a small tube of tylenol (travel size). two 3 x 3 sterile gauze pads. anything else, i can't use. for first aid tape, use duct tape (see repair kit). for butterfly bandages, you can use duct tape, cut. sprains: triangle bandage. larger wounds: field dressing. large-area burns: triangle bandage. that's all i can remember. oh. if i'm stuffed up sinus-wise, or it's pollen season, i might add a handful of sinus medication/anti-hystemines. sometimes i bring sting-ease (ammonia pen).

repair kit? i carry the following, in a small plastic Sucrets cough drop box. six inches of #9/tie wire, two feet of really thin snare wire, about 16" of parachute cord (for the smaller strings inside, really), a golf/church pencil wrapped with 1'' wide duct tape (about 2'?), three different size needles taped to the inside lid (upholstery, large, and medium), a sewing/stick-pin (short), three small safety pins, three different size nails (one each #3, #4, and #6), a small square (6") of nylon fabric, a bread twist tie, three ass't buttons, and a long piece of thread wound around a piece of thick paper. if i'm carrying my MSR simmerlite vs an alcohol stove, and it's a longer trip, i carry a spare o ring and that little flat wrench/tool thingy (now there's a technical term!) that came with it. i don't carry a frame pack, so i need no repair parts like pins or rings. if a strap lets loose or the fabric gets torn, the inner strings from the paracord can be used to fix it. tears to clothing are easy to sew, as are buttons. duct tape takes care of rips to a down bag or mosquito netting. pencil is for writing notes (can tear paper out of my paperback book's flyleaf). pen will run when wet, if you can get it to work at all. pencil isn't effected by cold or wet at all.

magnesium block? why? you have a lighter and matches. i carry two lighters, one in my cook set (main one) and a smaller backup in my 'miscellaneous' pouch. like a previous poster stated, i've never had a damp lighter not be able to function with a little effort. i don't carry candles or matches either. if i did, for an 'emergency', it would just be 2 birthday candles, in my repair kit box. wax might be good to use on a sticky zipper sometime too, or to rub over a piece of paper after i've written a note on it, to damp-proof it better.

nalgene spice bottles? personally, i'm pretty 'plain', having no tolerance for spicy food and having been known to eat the same MRE two meals a day for weeks on end. (ham and eggs... love it. Dec/Jan 92/93.) olive oil is a good sub for butter, and full of needed calories. salt is ok, but most of your food has enough. i don't always carry it. beyond that, i don't carry anything. i cab also tolerate plain water for weeks, vs carrying something to put in it. nutrasweet koolaid, watered way down, is good for a treat. heard that too much will give you the runs, but i just don't like it too strong.

cosmetics? bug spray-i use this micro-can i found at walmart. suntan lotion-don't use it. but i tan very well, and always wear a wide-brimmed hat. some people don't have a dark complexion. also, i like a long lunch, and don't generally hike between 1-3 pm. too hot here. and in the smokies, where i used to live, it usually rained or you were under some really dense trees.

hygiene? i use a travel-size toothpaste tube and a brush that reverses itself into the handle/case. bought it at walmart for $1.50. your hand sanitizer and soap are good. i still carry a pack towel, for some reason... don't like using a bandanna to dry off...

light? you mention a headlamp. a good thing, just make sure it's light. no need to be over 4 oz. mine is a $10 garrity LED (again, from walmart) with 3 light settings (low, hi, and disco strobe). for $13, i could have had one that had 5 settings. weighs 2 oz. i also carry two keychain lights, one white, one blue. i like the photon better than the princeton tec, which comes on too easily. i have carried a micro-maglite (AAA batteries), but i just couldn't justify the weight vs a photon. as a 'luxury' item, i sometimes carry a CMG Campfire, which is great to read by, but throws no useful light to hike by. mostly, i take my headlamp and the keychain lights.

again, as mentioned by a previous poster, look at the ultralighters section. some things will work for you, others won't... but you'll start to get into the mindset of questioning every piece of gear and making it have multiple purposes.

i carry a mosquito headnet, use a big black plastic garbage bag for a pack liner (no cover), a rainjacket and pants, and usually use an alcohol stove with either a titan kettle or walmart grease-saver pot, but that, with the above discussed items, is pretty much all my gear (aside from the hammock/sleeping bag/pad discussed in an earlier post). total is about 13 lbs, without food, water, or fuel weight. i'm not 'anal' or anything, it just sort of happened. i kept looking at my gear after each trip, deleted what i didn't use, and lightened up what i could as i could afford it (pack, hammock, and sleeping bag mostly).

one thing no one's mentioned directly yet is looking first at your 'big three', or tent, backpack, and sleeping bag. you can save POUNDS there, whereas everything else you can pretty much only lighten by ounces. eg, 5 lb pack vs 20 oz pack. 4 lb bag vs 20 oz bag. 5 lb tent vs 32 oz hammock. 14 lbs vs 4.5 lbs. that's 10 lbs just on those three items. penny wise vs pound foolish. you get the picture.

finally, if you've not been there, go see Sgt Rock's "Hiking HQ" website. he's THE guru of lightweight alcohol stoves, and pretty close to it on a lot of other lightweight issues. check out his equipment list. ultralightwieght won't necessarily work for a brand newbie, but it gives you something to aim for, knowing that there are guys out there who can SAFELY substitute knowledge/experience for gear. also, though i don't buy all of his ideas, ray jardine's book 'beyond backpacking' is a must read.

well, this has gotten a little longer than i intended, but i hope you find something to think about in it.

and in the end, hike your own hike.

Seeker
08-15-2005, 15:23
Hike in swim trunks - light, dry faster, no need for underwear, reduces chafe (for me, anyway)

Nylon thermals for sleeping or colder weather.

If it's really cold, wear your shorts, thermals and rain pants. That's usually enough when you're hiking. If it's THAT cold, you'll be in your bag when you stop, anyway.

Aqua Mira + regular old water bottles. (Hard to leave the filter behind when you've already paid for it, huh? It'll save you almost a pound and a half...up to you.)

Check out hammocks. If you're committed to the ground because you like to be uncomfortabe at night ( :p ), check out tarptents.

My survival/first aid/repair kit has some bandaids, about 5' of duct tape wrapped around a piece of cardboard, a few safety pins, neosporin, lighter, a baggie of dryer lint for firestarter, hand sanitizer (kept in a baggie with my tp), and not much more.

A 30' length of paracord is enough for bearbagging. If you want more, 20' should be PLENTY. If someone didn't bring enough to string up their own tarps, let them get wet so they'll know better next time! Or let them sleep on the ground under your hammock.

Just some thoughts from a not-yet-thru-hiker...
yeah. what he said. especially the part about letting other people suffer (at least for a little while) for forgetting their own cord.

kyhipo
08-15-2005, 15:28
just do it man! :bse ky,gear looks fine want me to hike it too :dance

canoehead
08-15-2005, 16:10
"THINK LITE"
safe adventures
canoehead

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 16:57
It's a lexan spork, cut in half so it fits inside my pot with my olive oil and spices and teas and such. I gotta have my spices.

Repair kit - I am breaking it down and taking out the un-essentials.

Magnesium Block - gone

Headlamp - is a light, cheap one from walmart - $12. 2 AAs. I also have a backup mini mag light that uses 1 AA

Water Filter - Sorry can't give it up. Shelled out 80 bucks for it. Plus I've gotten really sick before drinking stream water, and I've seen what lives in stream water under a microscope. I have a lot more peace of mind filtering all those little swimmy things out. It's worth the extra weight for me (under 1 lb) I also have iodine as a backup.

First Aid kit - going out to the store right now to buy a smaller waterproof pouch, where I will put in all the essentials.

I burn really easy - pale complexion - so I absolutely need the suntan lotion. Maybe not on the Appalachian Trail.. but in other places (like Arizona..) I also have a waterproof wide brim boony/sun hat that has saved my face and neck from extreme burning on many occassions - my face and neck always burn first. It is also nice in the rain.

I'm pretty much broke right now so buying new things isn't really an option. I'm looking at mainly getting rid of things. The only things I am going to be buying is a new tent, and some clothes. Sorry I gotta have a tent. Not always camping between trees. What about these tarp-tents though.. are they bombproof?

Oh by the way my sleeping bag is rated to 15 degree (yes I know overkill.. but I cant afford another one) I just sleep with it fully unzipped, or on top of it when its warm. However on the plus side it is down, so it packs small, and it only weighs a pound. I wont give it up! :D

So basically.. clothes:
3 pairs of wool/synthetic socks
1 pair synthetic/convertible pants
1 synthetic shirt
Synthetic long johns for the cold
Fleece/Synthetic pullover
Rainpants, Rain/Wind Jacket

That sound about right?

Just Jeff
08-15-2005, 17:51
Headlamp - is a light, cheap one from walmart - $12. 2 AAs. I also have a backup mini mag light that uses 1 AAMini-mag...the ones made of steel? Drop the $3 on a photon as a backup.

Water Filter - Sorry can't give it up. Shelled out 80 bucks for it.Familiar with the idea of "sunk costs"? Many people hike without EVER treating their water and don't get sick. I bet if you looked at your sleeping bag under a microscope you'd never use it again, either.

But if it's what you're comfortable with, use it. Just make sure you're using it because you think it's best, and not because you've already dropped $$$ on it.

I also have iodine as a backup. Ick. Get the vitamin C to take out the iodine taste, or switch to AM.

What about these tarp-tents though.. are they bombproof?Why do you need bombproof? How about waterproof and wind resistant?

For a ground dweller, you probably won't find a lighter setup that offers bug protection. It's basically a tarp with bug netting attached...some with floors and some without. About 22oz for one person, 32oz for two person...roughly, depending on options. Start with www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com/) or the workshop at thru-hiker.com

...my sleeping bag is rated to 15 degree...and it only weighs a pound.You have a 15F bag for 16oz?! Do tell...

1 pair synthetic/convertible pants
Rainpants, Rain/Wind JacketIf you're already carrying pants for the rain, why carry another set (with two extra zippers weighing them down)? Some folks like to have them for town stops...like I said, I'm not a thru-hiker yet so I can't comment on that. I don't carry an extra pair of pants on my hikes, though.

But I'm telling ya...go for a hike in some comfy swim trunks and see if you like it. I was surprised at how much more comfortable I was, especially when it's hot enough to get swamp crotch. Not much swamp crotch in swim trunks...

Admitting the problem is the first step to weight loss...you're on the right track!

Dances with Mice
08-15-2005, 18:18
I gotta have my spices. So baggie'em and ditch the plastic bottles.

Repair kit - I am breaking it down and taking out the un-essentials. Ditch everything but a couple safety pins, one pre-threaded needle and a yard of duct tape. Throw'em in the first aid kit.

Water Filter - Sorry can't give it up. Shelled out 80 bucks for it. Using THAT logic I'd be carrying a 200 pound pack!

I also have iodine as a backup. So move it up to primary.

First Aid kit - going out to the store right now to buy a smaller waterproof pouch, where I will put in all the essentials. A smaller waterproof pouch is called a "ziplock bag". A couple band-aids, Ibuprofen, maybe a small roll of sports tape or a piece of moleskin.

I burn really easy - pale complexion - so I absolutely need the suntan lotion. Maybe not on the Appalachian Trail.. but in other places (like Arizona..) I also have a waterproof wide brim boony/sun hat that has saved my face and neck from extreme burning on many occassions - my face and neck always burn first. It is also nice in the rain. Suntan lotion is nice in the rain? :)

What about these tarp-tents though.. are they bombproof?These are: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/ So too is this, tho you'd need a groundcloth: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47881035&parent_category_rn=40003488

Oh by the way my sleeping bag is rated to 15 degree (yes I know overkill.. but I cant afford another one) I just sleep with it fully unzipped, or on top of it when its warm. However on the plus side it is down, so it packs small, and it only weighs a pound. I wont give it up! :D15 degrees at 16 ounces? Tell us more.

So basically.. clothes: ..... That sound about right? Warm hat? Gloves?

Skyline
08-15-2005, 19:26
If your tent is small enough, consider storing it outside the pack, in a pocket or lashed on. The advantage is not so much gaining space in the pack, but for when it rains. First, you won't be putting a wet tent inside your pack. Second, you can pack your backpack completely inside the tent on rainy mornings, put the pack cover on it, then strike the tent. When the tent is in its stuff sack, take the pack rain cover off, lash on the tent, and put the rain cover back on. It sounds complicated, but the benefits are immediately and intuitively obvious the first time you do it on a downpour morning.

Very good advice! I'd also say--if your tent has a rainfly, to use one stuffsack for the fly, and one for everything else having to do with the tent. That way, when you pack up in the morning, your main tent body stays (relatively) drier--not having to be stuffed in the same sack as the wetter rainfly. You'll appreciate that on those days when you don't get sunshine to dry out your gear and have to set back up wet.

Shroomism
08-15-2005, 20:05
Sorry actually I had the wrong weight.. I have the REI Mojave +15 bag.. it's 2lbs 12oz

And I should have been clearer - I don't have any rain gear yet. That's why I'm looking at what to get. Warm hat and gloves.. check.

And heh.. I didn't mean suntan lotion in the rain.. I meant my boonie hat.. is waterproof, has a wide brim... good for rain and sun protection.

Seeker
08-16-2005, 01:31
tell 'em to shut up whin they gits like dat... they wuz just givin' you a hard time, kiddo... i understood what you meant about the hat and sunscreen...

sleeping bag-1 lb, 2lbs-12 ozs... what a difference! thanks for straightening it out though... had a bunch of us wondering if we'd missed something!

dances with mice probably has a point about the repair kit... my dad was a carpenter, and i inherited this need to be able to fix anything. hence the variety of 'stuff'. still, the whole thing only weighs 3 oz. my first aid kit weighs 4 oz.

a knit hat's a good thing... first to come off when you get hot, quick to warm you up when cold. and they don't weigh much either. probably the same about gloves though i don't need them here in LA. mittens are warmer.

i think you gots the clothes thing figgered out now. (is there such a thing as too much good advice?) :D

good luck.

DLFrost
08-16-2005, 02:41
Well I'm hitting plenty of trails this summer and throughout the winter.. all over the place. And I'd like some advice on my gear.

So I haven't bothered weighing anything yet..
Bad dog! BAD DOG!

So how do you guys fit it all in? Do you use compression sacks?
It seems like I wont have enough room for food once I have all my clothes in there. I need some new clothes anyway.. to prepare for winter.. some fleece/wool pants and socks.. nylon/poly whatever shirts and pullover.. waterproof parka and pants? I was thinking of getting a compression sack for my clothes and one for my sleeping bag. Oh and I need a bear bag too.
Lots of good advice already posted. I'll just add one or two more...

WalMart has some cheap, lightweight feels-like-cotton synthetic shirts for under $8. Why pay more?

You didn't mention if you needed underwear, but Target sells some good poly stuff under their Champion label. Trunks in two lengths as well as briefs.

The bag you use to store your bearbag rope in should do double duty as a throwing bag--this also means it should be something you can afford to lose. (WalMart sells a cheap ditty bag set that's suitable.) I've always carried 20ft. of cord plus a 10 ft. extension.

The med. widemouth version of the Nalgene Canteen weighs half of the solid bottle, carries more water, and fits your filter. (You can put measuring marks on your soda drinking bottle if needed.)

The Whisperlite is a great winter stove, but definitely try an alky stove for summer. You can make and test them for just a few dollars, and they really do save weight. Make one that will simmer and carry a cozy and you can use all sorts of foods.

Doug Frost

billdnc
08-26-2005, 10:27
Do not feel like you have to have everything perfectly figured out before you begin the hike. My son is a third of the way coming down from Maine right now and he basically just threw some stuff in a pack and went. Since then, as he "learned the ropes" he has had me send some gear to him i.e. lighter pack, alky stove, but mainly he has sent stuff home that he was not using- which was just about everything that he originally took! His base pack weight is only about eight pounds right now. You will only need your warm sleeping bag or warm cloths for a small part of the trip. Later you can send them back and just use a liner or fleece blanket. It only takes three days to have someone mail something to almost anywhere on the trail from anywhere in the US. Even with all of the excellent advice that you are getting from these trail veterens, you will not really learn what you really need until you get on the trail. If you are a woman, you may want to consider a hiking skirt or kilt. My son is seeing a lot of these for beating the heat and chaffing problem on both men and women.

LIhikers
08-27-2005, 11:03
If you carry dental floss for your teeth then you can leave the sewing thread out of your repair kit. Just bring a needle that the floss can be threaded into and use that for sewing emergency repairs.

saimyoji
08-27-2005, 17:41
Instead of rain gear and a pack cover, consider the packa.

http://www.thepacka.com/

jackiebolen
08-27-2005, 19:33
How to fit it all in...take less.

The one glaring thing that stands out for me in your gear list is cotton. COTTON KILLS...always remember this happy rule of thumb. Never ever have any clothes that are cotton, except for a bandanna.

Get rid of the Whisperlite, go with pop-can stove.

Get rid of Nalgene, go with pop bottles.

You have way, way too much crap. Get rid of half and then come back for more advice.