PDA

View Full Version : Gov shutdown mean no hiking on AT in GSMNP?

Gambit McCrae
10-03-2013, 10:06
Gov shutdown mean no hiking on AT in GSMNP? or just no permits/ charge for hiking? Trailheads are closed but if you parked on the the northern boarder/ or southern. And hiking into the park can you do that?

Praha4
10-03-2013, 10:13
I was wondering the same thing. ATC issued an advisory that the AT thru all National Parks are closed to hikers during the shutdown. But in reality, if they are shutdown, they have bigger fish to fry than sending out essential Park Service personnel to chase down some AT hikers still on the trail. Park facilities are shut down though. I have no idea if the Smokies online permit website is affected. I would not let this so-called shutdown affect my hiking plans.

da fungo
10-03-2013, 10:18
There's already a thread on the impact of the Government shutdown on all the National Parks, here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?98667-What-happen-if-National-Parks-close/page8&highlight=close

Rain Man
10-03-2013, 10:26
Trailheads are closed but if you parked on the the northern boarder/ or southern. And hiking into the park can you do that?

4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts ... are forbidden.

Not saying you are breaking this rule, because it seems you'll accept a "no" answer if that's the correct one, but before anyone starts telling how to sneak around "Closed" signs and getting away with it, he or she should consider whether they are also breaking WB's own "law." WB isn't here to help people break laws, nor even to discuss how to break laws.

Rain Man

Alligator
10-03-2013, 11:07
Thread already running see da fungo's link.