PDA

View Full Version : Floorless Tents / Tarptents

Wick'dWarm'n'Dry
10-04-2013, 12:32
I'm a hammock sleeper, but am looking for a lightweight (preferably under 3 lbs and under $350) tent/tarp tent as an option for mild winter weather (15 to 40*F in the wet and humid eastern US). Obviously, many of the lighter weight options are the floorless tents which use trekking poles. I am imagining, though, setting up camp in the rain or damp snow and slopping around in a muddy mess. I most often hike with a small dog, and I'm imagining that would only compound the mess. I know I could carry a ground sheet to cover the entire floor area which might solve most of the problem, but that kind of defeats the purpose of trying to save weight by using a floorless tent, doesn't it?

Are there any techniques that I'm unaware of that you floorless dwellers use to keep the mess to a minimum? I guess site selection would be one, but that sounds like it could be hit or miss, especially if you needed to get set up in a hurry.

While you're at it, if you could suggest any tents, I'd appreciate that too. I've taken particular notice of the GoLite Shangri-La 2 (floorless) and Nemo Meta 2P (with floor).

Trebor66
10-04-2013, 13:04
I have the TarpTent Contrail and love it. It weighs less than 2lbs and would have space for you and your dog. I've heard some people refer to it as a one and a half person tent. The tent has a bathtub floor which is nice to keep you and your gear dry. As for the "mess" you can get a sheet of Tyvek and cut it to size. Instead of using it under the tent you can put it inside. Then in the morning simply gather the Tyvek up at the corners, pull it outside of the tent and shake the dirt and debris out. A few strips of seam sealer on the floor will help the two from sliding around. Your weight penalty would be minimal, probably 4 or 5 ounces.

Slo-go'en
10-04-2013, 13:05
If all you need to worry about is snow, a bivy sack isn't a bad way to go. If your camped in the snow, you don't have to pack down as big an area to set up as with a tent. Plus you don't have to stake it down in the snow or frozen ground. You don't want to ride out a blizzard in it, but a typical light snow storm is okay even without something over you.

Oh yea, you hike with a dog, so maybe a tent would be better. I don't think a floorless tent will save you anything as your still going to want something between you and the ground - a sheet of Tyvek at the least, or a bivy sack. Personally, I would have both so I would have something to lay gear down on without getting it overly wet or muddy as the case may be.

bigcranky
10-04-2013, 13:31
Most of the tarp tent shelters on the market have a floor, and the few that don't offer an optional floor (Zpacks, for example.) I'm thinking of Tarptent, Six Moons Designs, Lightheart, etc., but now when I reread your post you seem to be looking at offerings from larger companies. Not sure about those.

I'd get a Tarptent Moment for winter use. It sets up quickly with two stakes (though I'd use four in high wind), and has a shape that can handle some moderate snow. The current Moment is a double wall design, with a full floor and bug netting. It's large enough for a large hiker and all his or her gear and probably a large dog too. I've used mine in some bad weather and it holds up well. Considering the weight and the price, it's not a bad deal.

SipseyFreak
10-04-2013, 13:32
I have a Tarptent Rainbow which is lightweight, although a single-wall tent, so sometimes the moisture buildup inside is significant in the southeast mountains. I also use a Big Agnes UL2, which is fairly new. I've only used it on the PCT, so I haven't really used it in lots of wet, rainy weather. It is light weight and would be a good size for you and your dog. When I go in wet, messy weather, I usually take a piece of Tyvek cut for the tent to help with the mud that inevitably gets tracked in.

Starchild
10-04-2013, 14:04
I used a zpack heximid for my thru at 1lb 1oz this one person tent sheltered both me and Splash in a rain storm on day 2 of my thru. it was very close quarters but luckily Splash is a 'she' :). If 2 people can share such a tent, could a person and dog? It's a lot lighter then your 3 lb limit, and we had temps below freezing (in pre-thru training hikes in snow deep enough that it didn't matter how deep)

SteelCut
10-04-2013, 14:06
Take a look at the Mountain Laurel Designs Duomid ... it's floor-less, light (about 1.25 lbs for SilNylon model with trekking pole setup), handles moderate snow loading and would have plenty of room for your gear and your dog. The innernets are detachable and optional but you could add the Solo innernet to give yourself a floor and your dog can have half without the floor. This option would put you up to slightly over 1.5 lbs.

3_dogs
10-04-2013, 14:14
There's a Nemo Meta 2P on the Selling Used Gear forum.

garlic08
10-04-2013, 19:31
I went floorless for a few seasons. Since I carried a ground cloth with the tarp, there wasn't enough of a weight savings to make it worthwhile. I switched to a Tarptent Contrail, left the ground cloth home, and often appreciate the floor and bug netting. The Contrail is 'only' $200, is 1.5 pounds, well within your budgets.

Tuckahoe
10-04-2013, 19:45
The Mark III or Mark V tents from Appy Trails tents might be what you are looking for... http://appytrails.com/

Wick'dWarm'n'Dry
10-04-2013, 23:42
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I am aware of the tyvek ground sheet option, but I think I'd prefer a bathtub floor. I'm going to look around for optional bathtub floors without the bug netting or with removable bug netting to go along with some of the rigs that are suggested and see how the combined weight compares to regular lightweight tents. Thanks, again.

richmondhokie
10-05-2013, 07:41
I have a roll of Tyvek. If you need some PM me and I will sell you some at $1.60 a linear foot (9 feet wide)

Franco
10-05-2013, 19:32
" I'm going to look around for optional bathtub floors without the bug netting or with removable bug netting "

That reminds of a shot I had of one of the Tarptent prototypes (either the Moment DW or the Notch) where Henry Shires had just a bathtub floor inside the fly because he had not made the mesh inner at that stage.
Because of your dog you could look at the Tarptent SS1.
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html
You can buy that as a fly only but you might also like the bug inner and then just make a bathtub floor copying the existing one without the mesh if bugs are not about.
The SS1 requires trekking poles but you can also get "substitute" poles from TT.
There is a LW option, about 40z a pair and a sturdy CF version (12.4mm) for about 8oz.
franco@tarptent

Wick'dWarm'n'Dry
10-06-2013, 13:15
" I'm going to look around for optional bathtub floors without the bug netting or with removable bug netting "

That reminds of a shot I had of one of the Tarptent prototypes (either the Moment DW or the Notch) where Henry Shires had just a bathtub floor inside the fly because he had not made the mesh inner at that stage.
Because of your dog you could look at the Tarptent SS1.
http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire1.html
You can buy that as a fly only but you might also like the bug inner and then just make a bathtub floor copying the existing one without the mesh if bugs are not about.
The SS1 requires trekking poles but you can also get "substitute" poles from TT.
There is a LW option, about 40z a pair and a sturdy CF version (12.4mm) for about 8oz.
franco@tarptent

Thanks, Franco. I just spent over an hour looking at the SS1 and came back here to see if there were any more replies - and look what I found!

I have a few questions, if you don't mind ...

The Stratospires are spec'd as 3-4 season shelters. Do they achieve full-blown 4 season status by the addition of the "solid wall" inner compartment?

The inner compartment is spec'd as being 32"- 42" wide, achieved by lowering the attachment point / relaxing the sides of the bathtub floor. Can the width be adjusted anywhere between 32" and 42", or do you either get a 32" wide floor OR a 42" wide floor?

You already implied this, but would you say that there is enough floor space in the inner compartment of the Stratospire 1 for a 6' / 180 lb. person and a 22 pound dog to both sleep without being on top of each other? Also, is there enough floor space to sit along side of a 25" wide pad instead of having to sit on top of it when not sleeping?

Franco
10-06-2013, 20:58
1)The SS1/2 can take a few inches of snow but if your winter has snowfalls in feet then no it will not do it.
The solid inner has better wind protection so it will feel a bit warmer.
2)
It is flexible. To get the full 42" you need to have two mats side by side to keep the floor down .A bit like spreading the bottom of a hammock.
3)
If you let the inner down a bit that will do it.
this is the SS1 inner with two 20" mats inside

Ken.davidson
10-06-2013, 21:40
I fully agree with Tuckahoe 64 the Mark III has proven itself with me. At 1lb 3oz for a 3 man tent that is roomy and good quality and 41" high. The poles are 4oz. if you don't want to use your hiking poles.
http://www.appytrails.com/at_three_man.html
Sidewinder