PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Trekking pole tips

Praha4
10-04-2013, 17:17
Just wondering if anyone here has replaced the tips on their BD hiking poles..... I had a broken tip following the last hike on my BD Carbon-cork poles, ordered some "Flex-Tips", and just replaced the broken tip.... instructions said to soak the tip assembly in boiling water for 2 minutes, then remove the old tip, using pliers if necessary. Well I had a bit of a time getting the broken tip off the pole, used some channel lock pliers and it finally worked loose. Installed the new flex- tip fine. But I cannot get the 2nd tip replaced, the old tip just will not come off. I'm afraid to clamp down too hard with pliers on the carbon pole, maybe break it or gouge it bad. Just wondering if there's any tricks to doing this I'm not seeing..... tia

10-K
10-04-2013, 23:32
I've replaced mine a few times. You're not going to tear up the pole with the stuck tip if you use maximum effort to twist the tip off.

jeffmeh
10-05-2013, 11:28
I just replaced a pair about a month ago. On the one's I had, the removal technique was to remove any basket, put the pliers around the lower pole shaft, but not touching, and to "violently" yank the pole or slide the pliers to create a concussive force on the tip. You are more or less using pliers, a wrench, or the like as a hammer to bang off the tip.

Hope that helps.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2013, 11:49
I routinely break the titanium tips off my Black Diamond hiking poles and have used Leki tips for replacement. This involves hack sawing off an inch or more of the bare BK D pole to allow the Leki tip to fit better. Once seated these tips do not pull off. Just make sure you replace the little basket, otherwise your pole will sometimes sink deeply into the ground by the trail and possibly throwing you off balance.

dlwills
10-06-2013, 18:08
My husband replaced his BD tips with no problems. The problem is that the replacement tips were junk on the trails of NH/ME. The flex tips are the only replacement tips available. The flex tips bent usually within a day.

swjohnsey
10-07-2013, 10:48
Boiling water does not get hot enough. Put it in the oven and run it up a little higher, 250 - 300 or put in in cooking oil and heat it up on the stove top. I had problems with the long tips breaking, too.

Cookerhiker
10-07-2013, 13:47
I've replaced BD tips a few times and boiling water has always worked for me.

Phikes
10-07-2013, 15:05
Good tips. Need mine replaced too but bd website says out of stock. REI doesn't carry them, any ideas where to round some up?

Tipi Walter
10-07-2013, 15:06
Good tips. Need mine replaced too but bd website says out of stock. REI doesn't carry them, any ideas where to round some up?

Just get Leki tips and read my post.

jeffmeh
10-07-2013, 17:06
I got mine through Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Trekking-Pole-FlexTech/dp/B005FNCN98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381179967&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+flex+tips

Phikes
10-08-2013, 17:57
Thanks tipi but I don't think I wanna hack up my poles and in my experience Leki makes junk. ie three sets of tips on my AT thru compared to the one on my bds, that should be but dont need to be replaced after my PCT thru this past season. Ordered the ones from amazon. Thanks Jeffmeh.

dlwills
10-09-2013, 09:41
Just be aware that the flex tips from Amazon will FLEX and bend. They are better suited for soft ground and snow. You can get the OEM tips by ordering the lower shaft of the pole. I have conversed with BD and they do not offer the original tip replacement.

Statue
10-09-2013, 09:45
Just get Leki tips and read my post.

+1

I replaced my tips in Delaware Water Gap, all they had were Leki tips and they worked fine on my Black Diamond poles.

redseal
10-14-2013, 17:22
I replaced my tips using the boiling water method. It took a little effort with channel locks but they popped off. Don't worry about applying too much pressure you should not damage the poles.