PDA

View Full Version : Wanna hike the AT?? Check out this video!!

HikerMom58
10-05-2013, 08:47
This is video is a good snapshot of reasons for hiking the AT & a look at some of those who hike it.:sun

I had to share this one particularly because it features Special K and her dad. Special K was a newbie on WB earlier this year and new to backpacking as well. She learned a lot from this site .... I was excited to see her on this video!! WAY TO GO SPECIAL K & DAD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEnSKuMhwYM

Hope y'all like it!

atmilkman
10-05-2013, 09:24
Another good vid. I like it.

Sailing_Faith
10-05-2013, 12:34
What a great video! Thank you for taking the time to produce it and share it here!

Nice work.

lush242000
10-05-2013, 16:34
I stopped watching after 5 seconds. Why do people play music with their videos?

I'll go back to my cave now.

Sent from somewhere.

HikerMom58
10-05-2013, 18:03
What a great video! Thank you for taking the time to produce it and share it here!

Nice work.

Ahhh... Sailing Faith, I didn't produce the video... sorry to give that impression. I just happened to find it. I watched it and thought it would be a good one to share on WB.

I also saw that Special K was on it, like I said, she was on WB earlier this year asking a lot of questions about backpacking the trail with her Dad. It was such a surprise to see her on the Vid with her Dad out there hiking the trail.... putting a face to a username on WB is so cool, sometimes! :>)

Trillium
10-06-2013, 15:07
I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing the link.

dink
10-06-2013, 21:25
very nice, thanks for sharing! makes me miss the trail though, a week each summer is just not enough...just 4 more years till retirement then I can take a nice looooong hike!!!

Special K
10-06-2013, 23:20
This is video is a good snapshot of reasons for hiking the AT & a look at some of those who hike it.:sun

I had to share this one particularly because it features Special K and her dad. Special K was a newbie on WB earlier this year and new to backpacking as well. She learned a lot from this site .... I was excited to see her on this video!! WAY TO GO SPECIAL K & DAD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEnSKuMhwYM

Hope y'all like it!

Oh my goodness that is too funny!!!!! The gentleman who made this video works as a motivational speaker. He was out for a section hike with his best friend when he asked permission to video a few of us with questions about the trail. He said he would use our answers during one of his talks. Never in a million years did I imagine it would end up on youtube. I can't stop laughing because my father's mouth is full of food (awesome trail magic) during every question he was asked.

Train Wreck
10-06-2013, 23:27
I stopped watching after 5 seconds. Why do people play music with their videos?

I'll go back to my cave now.

Sent from somewhere.

Because the era of silent movies ended about, oh, 100 years ago?
The music didn't bother me, and the content was interesting.

Hi there Special K! I remember you! Glad you got to accomplish your goal of hiking with your dad! He's pretty awesome! Can I borrow him sometime? :)

atmilkman
10-07-2013, 00:20
Hi there Special K! I remember you! Glad you got to accomplish your goal of hiking with your dad!
+1 on that. Not only for you but that has got to be one of the greatest highlights of his life. TW - I can't believe you still remember the silent movies.

Special K
10-07-2013, 10:34
Hi Train Wreck! And yes, atmilkman....hiking the AT was one of the greatest highlights of both of our lives. I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer my questions before we left for the trail. Looking back I realize how silly some of them were. I learned a TON of information on Whiteblaze but soon realized that the best teacher of all came from getting out there and doing it. One of my biggest regrets was not getting to meet HikerMom in Daleville. We were due for a scheduled stop but due to the terrible storms (and boy did we have a ton of rain and fierce storms this year), we resupplied and left. We needed to make the miles. I also appreciate LoneWolf and HikerMom looking for and posting about my lost camera. I never did find it and had to buy a new one in VA and start the picture taking all over. My dad turned out to be a HIKING MACHINE!!! It was all I could do to keep up. We had some brutal days but we wouldn't of traded the experience for anything in the world (except for maybe a warm, dry bed once in a while). We truly had an epic adventure!!! About 200 miles south of Harpers Ferry my dad broke his fibula and tore his meniscus. We didn't know it at the time and continued to hobble to Harpers Ferry averaging about 18 miles per day. We registered at Harpers Ferry and went to the doctors. We are now home recovering. My dad's fibula is healing nicely but unfortunately they had to remove his meniscus. It was too far gone. So....our journey may continue this spring. We are talking about completing the second half. He will be 77 years old. Barring injury this year, I have no doubt we would have made it all the way! Sorry for the looong paragraph, but I cannot seem to add spaces between my sentences.

atmilkman
10-07-2013, 10:54
Great story K, best wishes for speedy and complete recovery for your dad and hoping the best for the both of you next year.

HikerMom58
10-07-2013, 11:54
Hi Train Wreck! And yes, atmilkman....hiking the AT was one of the greatest highlights of both of our lives. I appreciate everyone who took the time to answer my questions before we left for the trail. Looking back I realize how silly some of them were. I learned a TON of information on Whiteblaze but soon realized that the best teacher of all came from getting out there and doing it. One of my biggest regrets was not getting to meet HikerMom in Daleville. We were due for a scheduled stop but due to the terrible storms (and boy did we have a ton of rain and fierce storms this year), we resupplied and left. We needed to make the miles. I also appreciate LoneWolf and HikerMom looking for and posting about my lost camera. I never did find it and had to buy a new one in VA and start the picture taking all over. My dad turned out to be a HIKING MACHINE!!! It was all I could do to keep up. We had some brutal days but we wouldn't of traded the experience for anything in the world (except for maybe a warm, dry bed once in a while). We truly had an epic adventure!!! About 200 miles south of Harpers Ferry my dad broke his fibula and tore his meniscus. We didn't know it at the time and continued to hobble to Harpers Ferry averaging about 18 miles per day. We registered at Harpers Ferry and went to the doctors. We are now home recovering. My dad's fibula is healing nicely but unfortunately they had to remove his meniscus. It was too far gone. So....our journey may continue this spring. We are talking about completing the second half. He will be 77 years old. Barring injury this year, I have no doubt we would have made it all the way! Sorry for the looong paragraph, but I cannot seem to add spaces between my sentences.

Aww.... Special K so good to hear from you. I missed meeting you & your dad... I figured something had come up.

I changed my username to Shmaybix.. I'm Hikermom. :)

WHY??? I'll just put it out there.... Some people on this site post comments just to be mean & ugly.. I can't take my name and my posts off this site. (no one can) I have to really think about everything I type, now, hoping that no one will take what I "say" the wrong way ... trying to avoid being attacked. I can't be myself soo I'm not. It sucks!!
No one asks questions about comments... ie- you come across like this.. is this what you are sayin??? Then, when you try to defend/explain yourself, people, that don't even know you, tell you what you are trying to say & how you really feel.....Good gosh.. people will start sending you links about subjects they think you need to be informed about. They are soo clueless!!! #blowingoffsteam

Getting back to you Special K... when I saw you and your dad in the video, I couldn't believe my eyes/ears. SOOO COOL!!

I wondered if anyone ever found your camera. Lone Wolf was a sweetie to go look for it. Thanks again LW for doing that for Special K.

You and your dad are soo awesome in the vid. He looks like a perfect hiking partner ,and like you said, a HIKING MACHINE! So sorry he had an injury. I wish you both the best in the future. Let us know if/when you get back on the trail.

So good to hear from you Special K!! :D

PS. There are sooo many awesome people on this site!! I love you all... thanks for being such good friends!!

Special K
10-07-2013, 13:20
HikerMom!!!! Is it really you?! :sun I for one NEVER took anything you ever said out of context. I enjoyed your posts greatly! I remember well the night I called you from my tent, on top of a mountain, desperate about the loss of my camera and you were there to take my call. We didn't have cell service often so when you answered my call and immediately offered to help, I was relieved and grateful. You're a great lady! Dad and I had so many adventures during our +1,000 mile hike. Pictured below is a souvenir of one of them: Our first 22 mile day which included a little bit of everything; painful knees and feet, a bad fall for each of us, 2 lightening storms, wet rocks as far as the eye could see, big climbs, and rain to beat the band. Even after that....IT WAS ALL GOOD!!

HikerMom58
10-07-2013, 15:40
It is really me!! :sun I was glad I could be there for ya!! I felt so bad for u when you called.

Don't worry about other people sayin stuff... it's all over now. :cool: It was never you....

Even with the shiner Special K, you look AWESOME! It's funny that you fell & gave yourself that shiner. I did the same thing when I went out in May for our hike... too funny!! I fell the second day out... ha ha!!

Sounds like you had an truly epic adventure.... the memories will never be lost!! :>) It also sounds like you got the stuff it takes to be a thru-hiker.... you and your dad!!

Don't be a stranger girl.. chime in with some good advice/experience from ur own hike!! YOU ROCK!!

So cool that all the others remember you as well. TW is awesome too!!:>)

Train Wreck
10-07-2013, 15:57
HikerMom!!!! Is it really you?! :sun I for one NEVER took anything you ever said out of context. I enjoyed your posts greatly! I remember well the night I called you from my tent, on top of a mountain, desperate about the loss of my camera and you were there to take my call. We didn't have cell service often so when you answered my call and immediately offered to help, I was relieved and grateful. You're a great lady! Dad and I had so many adventures during our +1,000 mile hike. Pictured below is a souvenir of one of them: Our first 22 mile day which included a little bit of everything; painful knees and feet, a bad fall for each of us, 2 lightening storms, wet rocks as far as the eye could see, big climbs, and rain to beat the band. Even after that....IT WAS ALL GOOD!!

Nice shiner!
Wow, 1000 miles at one go. I'm truly impressed (and a little envious)! Hope you and your dad are back on the trail next year!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 19:45
That is a nice shiner, buy your nose doesn't look broken! There's the bright side!

Special K
10-08-2013, 18:03
That is a nice shiner, buy your nose doesn't look broken! There's the bright side!

Nope. No broken nose. Fell flat on my belly (my pack helped to speed the process along). I knew the rock was going to hit my eye so I turned my head and hit the top of my cheek instead. When my eye got really black a few days later, dad became fond of saying, "Yup! She wouldn't listen so I gave her a black eye...!" ;)

atmilkman
10-08-2013, 18:36
Good old dads. Did you have any come-back to that?

Special K
10-08-2013, 18:42
Good old dads. Did you have any come-back to that?

Sometimes I just smiled and let him have his moment, other times I said with a serious face, "He's not kidding!"

atmilkman
10-08-2013, 18:47
Sometimes I just smiled and let him have his moment, other times I said with a serious face, "He's not kidding!"

I'll bet some of the looks were priceless. Your a blessed woman as your dad is a blessed man. You have something together that is truly wonderful. I sincerely hope it continues next year.

Special K
10-08-2013, 18:51
I'll bet some of the looks were priceless. Your a blessed woman as your dad is a blessed man. You have something together that is truly wonderful. I sincerely hope it continues next year.

I agree! Thank you so much!!! :)

Deer Hunter
10-08-2013, 22:32

+1.................

Sheriff Cougar
10-08-2013, 22:57
Thanks for sharing the link. Got a good laugh from the lady with the John Deere hat. Either she has awesome eyelashes and a great color of eyelids or she is wearing full makeup! Hope I look that good when I am hiking. Hahaha.

Special K
10-09-2013, 10:18
Thanks for sharing the link. Got a good laugh from the lady with the John Deere hat. Either she has awesome eyelashes and a great color of eyelids or she is wearing full makeup! Hope I look that good when I am hiking. Hahaha.

HAAAA, HAAAA, HAAAAAA, HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p That is the SECOND time I belly-laughed during this thread (the first was watching my father talk with his mouth full of food). My "makeup" regime included a daily dose of Chapstick! Sometimes 2 or 3 times per day!! Haven't met a "thru" hiker yet who wore full makeup. Met one who wore earrings, met one who wore lipstick, and met one who painted her fingernails. None who wore makeup. Thanks though. P.S. My hat is not John Deere it's John 3:16. Given to me by a trail angel at Mount Rogers Outfitters when the hat my father gave me before the hike fell into Laurel Falls.