PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiker is home, NOW how to get the funk out of the sleeping bag, tent, cloths etc

10-05-2013, 11:00
Washed cloths 3 times aired out for days, tent and sleeping bag smell to bad to even go in the house. what to do? Down bag How long does it take for the funk to go away? I am filling with fallen leaves today to see if I can over ride the smell.

Zippy Morocco
10-05-2013, 11:41
I had good luck by washing my down bag according to Western Mountaineering's instructions. With the tent (cuben) I set it up wiped it down with a bleach/water mix then housed it down inside and out. It's like roses now.

Dogwood
10-05-2013, 11:58
Try 1/2 cp white vinegar, tea tree oil/soap, a mix of baking soda and borax, and/or enzyme based cleaner(these can work especially well on gear that has that mildew smell) in the washer making sure of compatability between cleaning products and individual pieces of gear. Tech Wash by NikWax or the Wash by Granger may help too. Don't despair. It's probably about finding the right combination of odor removers and detergents.

Pedaling Fool
10-05-2013, 16:10
Do you have a liner? Won't help with you now as you try and clean it, but it really does help keep the bag from getting super stinky, provided you wash it when you get to town.

lush242000
10-05-2013, 16:26
Washed cloths 3 times aired out for days, tent and sleeping bag smell to bad to even go in the house. what to do? Down bag How long does it take for the funk to go away? I am filling with fallen leaves today to see if I can over ride the smell.

Toss it and buy new gear.

Sent from somewhere.

HeartFire
10-05-2013, 16:30
put the sleeping bag in the washing machine - 'mild detergent' - do not use woolite. You can get stuff that is special for down at an outfitters. Put white vinegar in the 'fabric softener' compartment -

put it in the dryer on low temp, for short periods of time, take it out, fluff it a bit and put back in the dryer for another short, low temp cycle. Repeat that until it''s dry.

The Cleaner
10-05-2013, 23:06
After all these various ideas and not knowing which one may actually work, I'd donate it to a Goodwill store and let some smelly homeless person get a good deal. He may not notice the smell. I'd just buy a new one and use a liner to protect it. Just think how your mattress at home would smell if you went to bed in it for 4 or 5 months after sweating all day and no bath before bed. I'd just figure that in the expense of a thru hike....

stushica
10-05-2013, 23:22
Send it to me.

J/k .... unless you decide to give up ;) that being said all of the above are good ideas, but also make sure the bag it completely dried if you're going to let it sit AT ALL in between wash cycles, otherwise you'll just add to the bad smells.

Trailweaver
10-06-2013, 02:01
I kayak a lot along with camping. Smelly river wet items and camping gear. . . There is a product called Sink the Stink you can buy at boating outfitter stores or order online that comes in a small bottle. It is very concentrated, and when mixed as directed, it appears to be safe for fabrics of most kinds. I use it to clean stinky life jackets (river water, sweat, oily residue from sun screen, etc.) and it really works. It's the only detergent type thing I've found that really gets the odor the first time.

quasarr
10-06-2013, 04:15
The clothes are probably not worth saving. Might be a good idea to keep rain gear and/or winter gear. But your synthetic shirt that has had dirt and sweat ground in by your backpack straps for several months? TOSS IT!!

Like others have said, Western Mountaineering's website has instructions for washing down. You need to buy special down soap, which can be found online. And you must use a front-loading washing machine on gentle cycle. (or hand wash) Go to the laundromat if you have a top-loader. For drying, first feel around the dryer for any burrs or sharp things that could tear your bag. Throw in a few clean tennis balls to help break up the clumps, and dry on the LOWEST HEAT setting. This can take several hours! Be patient! If it's not completely dry, the down can get moldy!!

More details here. They say hand washing is best but it sounds like a lot of work!

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=product-tips-and-care