PDA

View Full Version : "Muzzleloader" Season?

WMR
10-06-2013, 19:05
We're considering doing the Standing Indian Loop next weekend (10/12-13). Someone suggested checking the NC hunting calendar, and sure enough, next weekend is the end of "muzzleloader" deer season. I have a vague sense of what a muzzleloader is; perhaps a dumb question, but should we treat it like regular (gun) season - wear blaze orange, etc.?

nastynate
10-06-2013, 19:12
Yes. A muzzleloader is a rifle loaded from the muzzle (business end of the barrel) instead of the breech like a conventional rifle. Blaze orange is a great idea any time you are in the woods during deer/turkey season.

PD230SOI
10-06-2013, 19:16
Wear blaze orange, but many muzzle loaders are shorter range and therefore the hunter will have a much better look at the target. I hunt with bow, black powder, and high power, but don't worry too much about hiking/backpacking if wearing blaze orange.

Last Call
10-06-2013, 19:18
I'm hiking next weekend, I believe gun deer season begins in Georgia the 10th, will my blaze-orange cap & shirt be enough? Really don't want a blaze-orange pack cover because I don't use them, although my pack is already bright yellow. Will I be visible enough?

moldy
10-06-2013, 20:15
Just go hiking. Muzzle loader hunters are few and far between,

MuddyWaters
10-06-2013, 20:55
Its ALWAYS a good idea to wear blaze orange in the woods in hunting season. Its not just a case of mistaking you for game, its so you are visible from a distance and a hunter will know you are there. You could be in the background with game in between you and the hunter.

Dont listent to anyone that tells you a muzzle loader is some kind of short range weapon. There is nothing primitive about them. The open-sight hawken rifle that shot round balls 20 yrs ago was a 50 yd gun on a good day.

Todays scoped inline muzzleloaders shooting pelletized propellent ( very accurate loads) and saboted conical bullets are high power rifles that are hunting accurate at 100 +yds, and capable of still killing YOU out at 500 yds or more from an errant shot. Not as accurate as a modern high power rifle, but just as deadly when a 295 grain expanding bullet hits you.

You probably wont see any hunters, but you would be stupid IMO not to wear some orange in hunting season. I only came near a few squirrel hunters last week in GA.

Theosus
10-06-2013, 23:42
muzzleloaders are reminiscent of old-fashioned rifles: think revolutionary war era. you know - dump the powder in the dangerous end, add wadding, ram down a big ass lead ball. fire once, take thirty seconds to a minute to reload.

Not as accurate as a 30.06, but just as dangerous to be caught on the wrong end of (and some of the muzzleloaders are around .50 caliber.)

They may be a dying breed, however. My uncle had one that used percussion caps (instead of flint and steel) and it was a beautiful gun. I fired it once, kicked like a mule and sounded like a cannon. Some like to use them to get an early start on deer season, but as you can imagine, you have to be a darn good shot. Always wear blaze orange during any hunting season... isn't the general advice two square feet? That's two orange bandanas, really.

atmilkman
10-06-2013, 23:57
Its ALWAYS a good idea to wear blaze orange in the woods in hunting season. Its not just a case of mistaking you for game, its so you are visible from a distance and a hunter will know you are there. You could be in the background with game in between you and the hunter.

Like a bow hunter, a muzzle loader hunter realistically has only one shot and more than likely is going to be very sure of his/her target and mistaking you for an animal is highly unlikely. As stated above you want to be visible in case you are in the background. Rifle season is a whole different story. Sad to say but there are some out there that just blast away and then go see what they might have hit.

TrippLite
10-07-2013, 00:38
Yep... inline muzzleloaders are a different creature than the old school ball shooters. Along with load combo, they have taken a 200-300 yard shots to another dimension... Normally hunting is forbidden within a certain distance of maintained trails. Be wise though, do your homework and confirm if hunting is allowed in the area you will be hiking..

Rule of thumb...
~never wear white clothing while hiking in the Georgia woods during deer season as you could easily be mistaken by an eager hunter as a white tailed deer, hence bushy white tail..
~same applies for black clothing during bear season...

I used to be an avid hunter and while I would not shoot unless I knew what I was harvesting, I can not speak for others.. So yeah, blaze orange clothing of some type is highly recommended as previous posters noted.. Also note prime hunting times are sunrise and a few hours afterwards and likewise before sunset.. If you are hiking with a partner, continuously talk to each other when in known areas where hunting is allowed.. If hiking alone, carry a whistle and use it every so often, let yourself be known..

Tri-Pod Bob
10-07-2013, 09:26
This is the law in Massachusetts....YMMV elsewhere: Hunter Orange: No person shall hunt during the pheasant or quail season on public shooting grounds or WMAs where pheasant or quail are stocked without wearing a “hunter orange” cap or hat except while night-hunting for raccoons or opossums, or while hunting waterfowl from a blind or boat. During the period when it is legal to hunt deer with a shotgun, all hunters, except waterfowl hunters hunting within a blind or from a boat, must wear, in a conspicuous manner on chest, back, and head, a minimum of 500 square inches of “hunter orange” clothing or material. During the muzzleloader season, all deer hunters must comply with the 500 sq. inch hunter orange requirement.

Pathfinder1
10-07-2013, 11:41
Hi...

Blaze Orange? YES, YES YES...!! Displaying White? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...not even your hanky...!!!

Sarcasm the elf
10-07-2013, 18:55
We're considering doing the Standing Indian Loop next weekend (10/12-13). Someone suggested checking the NC hunting calendar, and sure enough, next weekend is the end of "muzzleloader" deer season. I have a vague sense of what a muzzleloader is; perhaps a dumb question, but should we treat it like regular (gun) season - wear blaze orange, etc.?

To add to the other posts, yes, orange is always a good idea, it's not primarily about someone mistaking you for a deer, it's primarily to make you stand out in case you are anywhere in the vicinity/down range of the deer that the hunter is looking at.

Rasty
10-07-2013, 19:04
To add to the other posts, yes, orange is always a good idea, it's not primarily about someone mistaking you for a deer, it's primarily to make you stand out in case you are anywhere in the vicinity/down range of the deer that the hunter is looking at.

Very true. Always remember that most people are terrible marksman.

atmilkman
10-07-2013, 20:24
Heck when pulling maintenance even our mowers are orange. 24377

Alligator
10-07-2013, 20:48
This thread is in the SF section. All the OP ask was whether to equate a muzzleloader to a regular rifle in regard to hunting season. The OP was unfamiliar with muzzleloaders. That was it. If your post was deleted, it was because you didn't answer the question.

WingedMonkey
10-07-2013, 21:53
You may hear gunfire around nightfall from "muzzleloaders" (most hunting regs refer to them as black-powder) as they often need to be fired to "unload" them.