PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of REI thread

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 14:43
Hey everyone

I had an experience a couple of weeks ago that has sealed the deal that I will shop at REI for most all my backpacking gear from now on.

I bought a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II boots at an unnamed local outfitter, and I teetered between and 11 and 11 1/2, but ultimately got the 11 1/2. Right after leaving the store, I could tell the boots were a little too big, but they told me once I leave the store, I cannot exchange the boots. I ended up buying really thick socks, and learning some new knots to keep them a little tighter, and it worked pretty well. I went camping at Cave Mountain Lake in Va, and did 4 days hikes to break them in, but got no blisters, although they never felt quite right.

At the end of the camping trip, we stopped by REI in Richmond on the way home, where I planned to put some aftermarket arches that might be thicker, and help tighten the boots a tad. A gentlemen came up (I believe his name was Bob), and asked me why I was doing it. I said I did not buy my boots at REI, and that they are a bit loose, and he said "wait here." He came back with a shoebox with "Bob's Box" written on it, and proceeded to tell me he used to be a boot fitter. He took my insole and traced around it onto a thin insole pad, proceeded to cut it to fit, and put the little insole under mine in the boot. Voila!!!! Perfect fit now. I believe he used the term "5 Iron" for what he did..

I thanked him profusely, and swore my allegiance to REI forever! What a nice thing to do, especially for free.

Kerosene
10-07-2013, 14:49
The sum of all those little "moments of truth" ultimately determine a company's success. Unfortunately, no company can guarantee that every moment will be handled exceptionally, but the right type of culture and recruiting ups the odds.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 14:56
Not to diminish the efforts of Bob, who appears to be a really nice guy, but any reputable shoe store would likely do the same for you, or at least advised you how to do it yourself. I am a fan of REI myself (but not my local store, where they think its funny when a customer gets burned), and have made several purchases there for those items where reliability (or returnability) was a key factor. Word of advise - don't shop the garage sale.

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 14:59
I got it T&S, but why didn't the original place offer to do it? That's all I am saying.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 15:12
I got it T&S, but why didn't the original place offer to do it? That's all I am saying.

Not all outfitters are alike. Are we talking chain, mom & pop? Dicks and LL Bean are considered outfitters, but I would not expect this type of attention from either. Our local mom & pop shoestore regularly provides me with whatever "adjustments" my shoes and boots need, regardless of whether or not I purchased them there. REI, if you get the right employee, will help you out much like a smaller, local outfitter might.

I can't say why your local place didn't, but I would make mention of it the next time you stop in. Simply stating you were disappointed that they couldn't help you more may pave the way to much better service in the future, or at least an explanation.

Tuckahoe
10-07-2013, 15:33

Not all outfitters are alike. Are we talking chain, mom & pop? Dicks and LL Bean are considered outfitters, but I would not expect this type of attention from either. Our local mom & pop shoestore regularly provides me with whatever "adjustments" my shoes and boots need, regardless of whether or not I purchased them there. REI, if you get the right employee, will help you out much like a smaller, local outfitter might.

I can't say why your local place didn't, but I would make mention of it the next time you stop in. Simply stating you were disappointed that they couldn't help you more may pave the way to much better service in the future, or at least an explanation.

If its the outfitter I am thinking of, it may be part of the reason they have closed a number of their stores.

fredmugs
10-07-2013, 15:39

Nowhere in your original story do you claim to have gone back to the store after you purchased them. Based on your original story it would appear that you assumed they wouldn't do anything.

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 15:39
If its the outfitter I am thinking of, it may be part of the reason they have closed a number of their stores.

It is indeed that outfitter. I think they are down to two.

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 15:47
Nowhere in your original story do you claim to have gone back to the store after you purchased them. Based on your original story it would appear that you assumed they wouldn't do anything.

Fair enough, I based that assumption on the fact that they had a no return policy, but perhaps I was being a little harsh. And the REI was on the way home from the mountains, so I did not get the opportunity to go back to the other place as my boots were fit properly at REI

At the place I bought them, I did mention numerous times while trying the boots on that the 11 1/2's were a smidge loose and the 11's were a smidge tight, and they said to try thicker socks, and having them a little big would allow my feet to swell...nothing about doing a little adjustment to make them fit right.

I had assumed adding an extra layer would mess up the integrity of the boots somehow, or I might have done it myself.

Wise Old Owl
10-07-2013, 15:50
Great Story!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 15:57
I had assumed adding an extra layer would mess up the integrity of the boots somehow, or I might have done it myself.

I had the same thought when I first started looking for gear....learned quickly enough that NOTHING has any integral integrity (except perhaps the hikers/shoppers). Doesn't work quite right? Fix it....however you can. This went against the grain at first, but now I look at just about every new purchase with an eye to how I can customize or "improve" it. And my shoes? The FIRST thing to go are the insoles in favor of something more to my liking and cushion needs. It's a learning curve thing.

Odd Man Out
10-07-2013, 15:59
A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of New Balance Cross Trainers at Sears. They didn't have the size I normally get so I got a 1/2 size smaller, figuring they would be OK (they felt OK in the store). After about a month, I realize that they were a touch too snug for comfort, but with a month of daily wear, I couldn't return them so I figured I would just have to get by.

I was at our local NB Company Store buying running shoes for my daughter. When the clerk asked me how I liked my shoes, I said "They were fine, but were about a 1/2 size too small". She went in the back room and gave me the right size in exchange. I said "You do realize I bought these at Sears a month ago, don't you?". She said "That doesn't matter. NB wants all of its customers to be happy".

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 16:00

Also, I wasn't trying to bash the place I got the boots as they are in general a pretty decent place. I was more trying to say that this REI employee went above what he needed to do to make me a happy customer. I won't soon forget this!

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 16:01
I had the same thought when I first started looking for gear....learned quickly enough that NOTHING has any integral integrity (except perhaps the hikers/shoppers). Doesn't work quite right? Fix it....however you can. This went against the grain at first, but now I look at just about every new purchase with an eye to how I can customize or "improve" it. And my shoes? The FIRST thing to go are the insoles in favor of something more to my liking and cushion needs. It's a learning curve thing.

Yeah, we are often spoiled in the modern age...our parents and grandparents had to deal with this all the time when they got big brother's or sister's clothing, shoes, baseball mitts, etc handed down to them!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 16:01
A couple of years ago, I bought a pair of New Balance Cross Trainers at Sears. They didn't have the size I normally get so I got a 1/2 size smaller, figuring they would be OK (they felt OK in the store). After about a month, I realize that they were a touch too snug for comfort, but with a month of daily wear, I couldn't return them so I figured I would just have to get by.

I was at our local NB Company Store buying running shoes for my daughter. When the clerk asked me how I liked my shoes, I said "They were fine, but were about a 1/2 size too small". She went in the back room and gave me the right size in exchange. I said "You do realize I bought these at Sears a month ago, don't you?". She said "That doesn't matter. NB wants all of its customers to be happy".

At which point you smiled, said thank you (perhaps repeatedly) and accepted you new pair happily. Good customer service there....you'll be back.

Namtrag
10-07-2013, 16:03

That's a great story as well! There are some retailers that still have great discretion and allow the store employees to do things to keep up goodwill.

Driver8
10-07-2013, 20:39
I love REI and enjoy the garage sale, too. Good stuff - the OP's story echoes my experience with them.

Another Kevin
10-07-2013, 21:24
Word of advise - don't shop the garage sale.

Huh? I know the gear at the garage sale isn't guaranteed, but I've gotten some good stuff there. You have to know the merchandise and be able to spot the flaws, but sometimes the problem is obvious and either cosmetic or fixable.

Ileah7
10-07-2013, 21:48
I've had both good and bad REI experiences depending on the store. I was fit for my first pack in the store by a woman who didn't really care. I found they didn't have my size in stock, so ordered it from the outlet. After about 5 or so weekend trips I still couldn't get it adjusted correctly and started to worry it was the wrong size. We left home for a long summer trip out west, and eventually stopped into the REI in Boise. I brought my pack with all of my gear packed in it and asked for fitting help. The employee looked at the fit, then pulled the size up and had me transfer my gear into it. The difference was amazing! They sent me to customer service, looked up the purchase info since I didn't have it with me, and waived the price difference of about $70 because a REI employee had fit me incorrectly the first time! I was thrilled and so thankful for their help!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 22:12
Huh? I know the gear at the garage sale isn't guaranteed, but I've gotten some good stuff there. You have to know the merchandise and be able to spot the flaws, but sometimes the problem is obvious and either cosmetic or fixable.

I got pretty badly burned by the garage sale....mostly through my own naivety, I suppose. But I didn't appreciate being laughed at after the fact by REI employees for said naivety. I bought a product returned because of a mfg defect that was useless and could not be repaired and was surprised that REI would resell the item without either identifying the defect or culling it from usable items. (That's when they laughed) I was told in no uncertain terms that the returned mdse was never checked and it was foolish to buy anything from the sale. (again, the employee telling me this after the fact and shrugging over my significant financial loss).

After extensive effort....EXTENSIVE EFFORT...I managed to secure the return, and watched incredulously as the clerk put the defective, absolutely useless item right into the garage sale bin for the next shmuck.

Another Kevin
10-08-2013, 00:04
I got pretty badly burned by the garage sale....mostly through my own naivety, I suppose. But I didn't appreciate being laughed at after the fact by REI employees for said naivety. I bought a product returned because of a mfg defect that was useless and could not be repaired and was surprised that REI would resell the item without either identifying the defect or culling it from usable items. (That's when they laughed) I was told in no uncertain terms that the returned mdse was never checked and it was foolish to buy anything from the sale. (again, the employee telling me this after the fact and shrugging over my significant financial loss).

After extensive effort....EXTENSIVE EFFORT...I managed to secure the return, and watched incredulously as the clerk put the defective, absolutely useless item right into the garage sale bin for the next shmuck.

Wow. I've never had that sort of experience with them. I'm sorry that you got burnt, and laughing at you was inexcusable.

But a good rule of thumb at the garage sale is, "never buy anything until you've spotted what's wrong with it." Because nothing is guaranteed. Some of the stuff they have there is usable only for spare parts. (And some of that can be a decent deal for the spare parts - buckles and drawcords and zippers and whatnot are expensive if you get them at a place like JoAnn. I know some people who do gear repair that snatch up the stuff that would otherwise go in the trash at the end of the sale.)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-08-2013, 00:34
I can see the appeal of spare parts...like buying a junk car, etc.

FWIW...not everything I got at that garage sale was worthless....a bought a pack that my son used and have had no regrets at all (once I got the smell out!)

TheYoungOne
10-08-2013, 10:15
Most REI employees sort of remind me of Disneyworld employees from when I was a kid. They know what they are doing, are real helpful, and seem happy to be working there. EMS employees sometimes have a similar vibe. Everywhere else employees act like they don't care, and don't want to be there.

QHShowoman
10-08-2013, 10:31

That's odd. REI employees are supposed to tag all returns with an explanation of the reason for the return. Those tags remain on the item so that at an Attic/Garage sale, buyers know exactly what they're purchasing. It also covers REI's ass so that if someone tried to return an item purchased at the garage sale, we can deny the return with good reason. Sorry that wasn't the case at your REI. Sounds like they're a bunch of lazy asses.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-08-2013, 10:36
I just stay clear of our local REI and the garage sales now. I don't mind driving 50- miles or so to find another REI if I need too (love a road trip), or I can always shop online. The Cranston, RI store is just....well, I don't purchase there anymore.

Mags
10-08-2013, 10:45
I just stay clear of our local REI and the garage sales now. I don't mind driving 50- miles or so to find another REI if I need too (love a road trip), or I can always shop online. The Cranston, RI store is just....well, I don't purchase there anymore.

Without having been to that REI, I wonder if people are working there because it is a job. As opposed to working an REI in an outdoor area where people actively want to work at REI.

RI is not a mecca for the outdoors and maybe the one in Cranston attracts people who treat their time at REI as just another retail job.
And, being a RI native I can say this, people are a bit more a abrupt in the northeast on occasion! ;)

QHShowoman
10-08-2013, 11:18
And, being a RI native I can say this, people are a bit more a abrupt in the northeast on occasion! ;)

Born and raised in CT. College in NJ. Several years in NYC before moving south. "Abrupt" doesn't bother me

Teacher & Snacktime
10-08-2013, 12:39
Born and raised in CT. College in NJ. Several years in NYC before moving south. "Abrupt" doesn't bother me

MAGS is being tactful...he means rude. RI, and other parts of New England, has a certain reputation. The Cranston store is in Garden City, an uppercrust shopping area. It's true that our area is not a backcountry mecca, and that many of the customers here are those that would likely resemble....well, not the favored type of dayhiker. Still, the employees with whom I've dealt most have all claimed to be avid hikers/backpackers who have hiked either all or part of the AT as well as other LD trails.

I probably shouldn't malign an entire store because of one bad experience (and prolonged frustration), and ultimately everything did work out. I just have a personal reticence now about the location. I'll get over it....eventually.

FWIW....Robbie @ the Cranston store is the best, and I highly recommend him to anyone with questions about anything camping.

Mags
10-08-2013, 13:18
Always a jerkwad (or set of) in every bunch. You had the "good" fortune to get them that morning it seems. :)

(I bet Arcadia M.A. is really nice now. Maybe I'll take a hike there next week when I visit the family)

TheYoungOne
10-22-2013, 16:48
Always a jerkwad (or set of) in every bunch. You had the "good" fortune to get them that morning it seems. :)

(I bet Arcadia M.A. is really nice now. Maybe I'll take a hike there next week when I visit the family) + 1 even the best of stores with owners with the best of intentions could have a store with a bad managers that don't know how to supervise, and that hire bad employees and just suck the life out of the place. I have worked in places like that, and usually good employees don't stay long.