PDA

View Full Version : Copperheads on Blood Mtn - PIC

mgeiger
10-07-2013, 16:05
Almost stepped on this first one descending Blood mountain into Neels Gap yesterday right afternoon. These 2 were way up the hill - above 3500', it was 65 degrees and overcast. They were moving slow, and were easy to push aside with my hiking poles.

They were cool to see, but not comforting for this guy who was considering a tarp for my next section.

Train Wreck
10-07-2013, 16:52
Wow, two at one time, what are the odds of that?

Seatbelt
10-07-2013, 16:59
Wow, two at one time, what are the odds of that?
I saw two last summer just north of Overmountain shelter about 6 feet apart--no pics, sorry.

FatMan
10-07-2013, 17:53
All I read about here on WB in GA is about Bears. I rarely see one. And if I do they are always aware of me and moving away. But I see many copper heads and timber rattlers a year. Just let them move on or carefully step around them if they are sunning on the trail. They are not interested in messing with you as long as you don't step close to them or on them. Snakes are really quite cool.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 19:42
Yeah Snake Post! I get to post my poem again :)

I saw a snake,
for goodness sake,
when I was out a-hiking.
It rattled well,
and I could tell,
I wasn't to its liking.
"Dear snake" I asked,
"please let me pass;
I'll trouble you no longer."
But then it hissed,
it lunged and missed,
its anger getting stronger.
I broke my stride
and stepped aside
preparing next to run.
But in its wrath
he blocked my path;
our faceoff had begun.
"Please Mr. Snake,
just let me take
my leave of you and go
along my way.
What do you say?"
He hissed a strident "no".
While I did prattle
he shook his rattle
and bore a blatant grudge.
I stood there waiting
Anticipating
his strike should I dare budge.
Alas the cold
Made him less bold
And as the sun did set
Back to his den
He slithered then
(or we might be there yet).

MuddyWaters
10-07-2013, 19:53
A few weeks back Mountain Crossings removed one from the flower bed in front of the store.

July
10-07-2013, 20:42
Almost stepped on this first one descending Blood mountain into Neels Gap yesterday right afternoon. These 2 were way up the hill - above 3500', it was 65 degrees and overcast. They were moving slow, and were easy to push aside with my hiking poles.

They were cool to see, but not comforting for this guy who was considering a tarp for my next section.

First... why did you "push them" with your treking poles...

Hence your apprehension about tarping.

Paws60
10-07-2013, 22:41
I was on Blood Mountain last week 10/04/13 coming down north side missed stepping on a eastern dimond back by a foot. It was across a rock step. Going to hike with gators on now on!

Magic_Mack
10-07-2013, 22:50
Would the gaiters actually protect you?

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 23:47
A kevlar set might

mgeiger
10-08-2013, 06:48
Btw- my buddy an i walked around them. There was a day hiker w a dog behind us that requested I move them off the trail.

SipseyFreak
10-08-2013, 07:47
Oh, wait ... moving a snake off the trail is a problem? I've moved dozens of snakes off the trail in the Sipsey Wilderness in northern Alabama. I didn't realize I was violating some code of the woods ... and I've shooed (shewed? shuued?) a couple of feral pigs off the trail, too ... am I in trouble? And, to be totally honest, I've pushed numerous tree limbs out of the way on and off trails ... I must be a bad, bad person ...