PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything...

rntjones
10-07-2013, 16:06
I've sectioned hiked Georgia and North Carolina/Tennessee over the last 2.5 years. Seen a good bit of wildlife (mostly from a distance). On September 28th I finally talked my wife into a very short camping trip to let her see what the Hiking/Camping thing is all about. We hiked about a mile north of Woody Gap in GA. We ran up on a young deer which was really nice. We get settled in at our camp site and enjoy the evening. We hit the sack around 9-10. Around 3:30 in the morning she wakes me to let me know someone is outside our tent. I sat up with her and listened. Sure enough, a grunting sound. I unzip the tent and shine the flashlight but the animal was in a thicket below us. Then we hear another grunting sound in a different location and realize there are two of them. I decided to exit the tent and start a fire. We never heard the animals after that. In the morning we were approached by a camper that had slept about 100-150 yards away at a different camp site. He asked if we were bothered by the wild hogs last night? That is a first for me!! Didn't realize there were any wild hogs on the AT in Georgia. Just had to share.

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 16:08
Was he talking about his drinking buddies? :)

Trailweaver
10-07-2013, 18:22
Yes, Virginia, there are wild hogs on the AT in GA. If you look closely when you're hiking, you will notice areas where the rocks are "stirred up" - small to pretty sizeable stones disturbed and the trail kind of "wrecked," The hogs have been "rooting" around those rocks looking for whatever they root around for - bugs? I guess - but anyway you mostly don't see them, you see the damage they cause.

TrippLite
10-07-2013, 21:40
Just think... If your wife would not have been along to wake you, you would have never known...

rntjones
10-08-2013, 13:10
Yep... is that a good thing?