PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Mtn.

blisterbob
10-07-2013, 20:22
Mon.10/7/13, 10:00 AM mostly clear, 61 degrees, breezy, 603A TH

I started this hike with a heavier than needed pack as a trial for an upcoming hike on the BMT.
The trail conditions for the 11.2 miles vary with the areas that let in more or less sunlight.
In the first mile along the area of clear cut the seasonal growth is crowded over the trail
The seasonal streams were flowing well, maybe the 3 inches of rain over the weekend helped.
The briars at the top of the ridge before the microwave tower didn't seem quite as bad as they
were in May. The section between the 2 towers on the south side of the ridge could use some trail
maintenance. All the areas covered by thick tall trees were in good condition.
I noticed that the blue ribbons marking the way down the south slope to a water source were gone.
This is about 1.5 miles east of the active comm. tower at White gap in a low area with an old oak
tree across the trail with a section cut out through the trail and a smaller tree that is broken off
about 8' above ground. I have not confirmed this but 2 reliable hikers say that water can be found
about 300 yds. downhill to the South.
Wildlife-1 squirrel, 6 turkeys, about a gazillion spiders.
5:00 PM, partly cloudy, 63 degrees Bulls Gap

ednotmilkman
10-08-2013, 12:28
The trail maintenance crew will check this out this Saturday and I hope we can blaze this side trail so it is clear where it is. I don't even know what color side trails should be along the Pinhoti ? I originally found this water source when doing some scouting for the trail 4 or 5 years ago. The cane patch marks the wet spot where the spring rises unless it has been a dry year.

al_stargazer
10-08-2013, 15:07
Mark and I did a survey walk on Rebecca last weekend to see what needs to be done on Saturday's workday. We found several badly overgrown places and a few trees down. On Saturday, we will meet at 8 a.m. at the 603A parking lot to begin. We hope to have enough workers to split into groups. We need workers to bring what tools they can: weedeaters, loppers, gloves, etc. I have paint for touching up the blazes that have faded and will bring some white paint to mark the trail down to the water source. Don't forget to bring lunch, snacks and plenty of water, etc. Thanks......Barbara

blisterbob
03-02-2014, 16:53
UPDATE;
We did this 11.2 miles on Rebecca Mtn. different than previous hikes.
We started about 1:00 PM on Sat. At Bulls Gap hiked about half way ( near where the trail crosses the jeep rd. between the 2 comm. towers).
Made our camp for the night and hiked on to 603A Sun. AM.
Overall this section of the Pinhoti is in better shape than I have seen it before.
There were a couple dozen deadfalls, most small easy step overs and none that we had to leave the trail bed to get around.
I saw no green pines down like on Cheaha a couple weeks back.
I was impressed with the wide path through the 'brier ridge' area west of the micro tower.
Way to go stargazer and all who helped on this.:)
The seasonal water sources along FS 675 and between there and 603A TH were flowing clear.

The highlight this weekend was meeting Mark and Madalyn the Pinhoti/AT hikers.
Best wishes to both as they fulfill a dream.

al_stargazer
03-05-2014, 14:21
Blister Bob, Glad to hear that the trail (especially the briar patch) is good. We will see about getting up there to clear the deadfalls. I met Mark and Madalyn on Saturday. I saw them as they came to the Dollar General in Stewartville. I think I scared them as i followed them into the store. :-) I talked with them for a while about Rebecca Mt. I was excited to see thru hikers enjoying our trail. I can't remember the youtube they said they would be doing on their journey to Maine. Do you know the name of it? I thought he said AT Conquer, but I can't find anything on that. Thanks for helping them out with shuttles and water. :-)

marti038
03-05-2014, 15:12
Blister Bob, Glad to hear that the trail (especially the briar patch) is good. We will see about getting up there to clear the deadfalls. I met Mark and Madalyn on Saturday. I saw them as they came to the Dollar General in Stewartville. I think I scared them as i followed them into the store. :-) I talked with them for a while about Rebecca Mt. I was excited to see thru hikers enjoying our trail. I can't remember the youtube they said they would be doing on their journey to Maine. Do you know the name of it? I thought he said AT Conquer, but I can't find anything on that. Thanks for helping them out with shuttles and water. :-)

AT Conquered

blisterbob
03-05-2014, 16:02

If you can't find it by AT conquered,
try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvPWrbCl1g
This will give you their pre hike interview and hopefully their future entries.
I will meet them at Adams Gap this PM and they're taking a zero at our place tomorrow.

Matt65
03-06-2014, 06:13
If you can't find it by AT conquered,
try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QvPWrbCl1g

I will meet them at Adams Gap this PM and they're taking a zero at our place tomorrow.

Maybe on this Zero they can upload a video update to YTube.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ratherbclimbin
03-06-2014, 10:03
We are at blisterbob's house right now. We ate a big dinner last night yummmmmmm..... They have been more than generous and are truly one of the trail angels on the Pinhoti. We have done 67.8 miles over the past 5 days which is a little behind our pace but we are still getting our trail legs and are looking to pick our pace up after cheaha sp. We will also be posting a new youtube video soon.

marti038
03-06-2014, 17:41
We are at blisterbob's house right now. We ate a big dinner last night yummmmmmm..... They have been more than generous and are truly one of the trail angels on the Pinhoti. We have done 67.8 miles over the past 5 days which is a little behind our pace but we are still getting our trail legs and are looking to pick our pace up after cheaha sp. We will also be posting a new youtube video soon.

Thanks for the update. A lot of us are looking forward to your first video and following the rest of your journey to Maine.

ratherbclimbin
03-06-2014, 20:20
We have posted a new video to You Tube. It is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqKZqUhQWkk. Enjoy!!!