PDA

View Full Version : I just discovered I might not be able to do the A.T...I'm depressed! :(

jefals
10-07-2013, 23:06
Hiking the AT has been a "romantic dream" of mine ever since I heard of it, back in my 30s. Of course, I never had the time, then, and I figured "what's the rush -- the trail's not going anywhere!". So, here I am, retired, and 66 years old. And I've never really hiked anywhere, before, but always had this A.T. hike on my mind.
To stay in shape, I climb 60 flights of stairs and walk 40 minutes on an elliptical, Mon-Fri. ( I used to run 5 miles a day, but haven't been able to run for years).
Anyway, I figured climbing the stairs would help prepare me for the climbing involved in hiking. And, I finally decided to actually start doing some hiking.
Yesterday, I did my 3rd hike -- but the first one with any climbing. THis was a level 5 hike -- the highest level, and it really awakened me to at least some of what I have in store, if I do get to the A.T. I did not make it to the top. I got to a point where there had been a landslide, so you would have to climb up thru big rocks. Well, my right knee is one part of my body, that definitely knows it is not 30 years old anymore! And the stress when shifting my weight on to my right knee -- like when your left foot is a couple feet above your right, and you in essence jump and land that weight on the knee -- I know I won't be able to do a lot of that. Also, the other side of that -- trying to push up on my right foot is pretty painful also.
I was thinking, a hiking pole would probably help. I haven't used one of those yet. I think I'll try that though. Looking back, I'd like to say I was foolish not to have found a way to have done the A.T. when I was younger -- but that really was not a choice for me. I hope I can find a way to do it now....

hikerboy57
10-07-2013, 23:09
you can hike as far as you can. you dont have to finish.
hiking poles definitely will help both on uphills and downhills.
its not important whether you walk 2184 miles or one tenth of that. whats important is that you begin the adventure.

Just Bill
10-07-2013, 23:13
You can. Start with some poles, you can buy cheapies at many sporting goods stores or even wally world to see if you like them. Then go to REI where you can return an expensive mistake if you make one. After that- easy does it-scoot on your ass and don't jump. The big rocks you encountered are a very small percentage of the trail. And check out the various threads about starting in Harper's Ferry and heading south first. HF-GA, then HF-MA. Warm up in the easy stuff and build them trail legs in easy terrain. Next thing you know...you'll be a thru.

Just Bill
10-07-2013, 23:15
"Great minds think alike!" HikerMomKD
"Idiots post at the same time" Lone Wolf

Autummyst
10-07-2013, 23:32
Hi :) I think oftentimes knee stuff gets us at a variety of ages. I'm 31 and my right knee always killed on the downhills (always felt it since I was late teens and started hiking). I even got an MRI to make sure that nothing was wrong with my knee and was really worried it would mean I couldn't hike the trail in 2014. It turns out it is the pesky IT Band Syndrome. With hiking poles, stretches, exercises, an IT band strap and new methods of walking downhill, I can make it just fine! I walk downhill sidestepping instead of forward and I feel no pain that way. I might be a lot slower, but my knees last me on longer backpacking trips that way.

You have some time! I'd say if you can, maybe see if you can book a physical therapist who can figure out where you knee pain is coming from? Grab a knee band of some sort, do whatever exercises they give you and you'll be upping your chances of being more comfortable.

And like hikerboy says, just go as far as you can. My goal is to make it to Katahdin of course, but fear of not making it won't deter me from starting.

:)

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 23:45
Remember The Little Engine That Could ? Just take it slowly and keep repeating "I think I can, I think I can...."

Teacher & Snacktime
10-07-2013, 23:46
"Great minds think alike!" HikerMomKD
"Idiots post at the same time" Lone Wolf

Interesting comparison

Another Kevin
10-07-2013, 23:48
I'm within a decade of your age, and have had a knee problem for years. I started using poles - plural, using a pair makes a difference - a couple of years ago, and they really are knee savers for me. I can go downhill much, much easier with them. Also, don't be embarrassed to face the rock on a steep downhill, or to sit on a high step and slide off it. Rather than saying "what a wuss," your fellow hikers will say, "poor guy, isn't it great he's still managing to get out?"

I don't know what you mean by "Level 5" - is it a classification your local trail conference uses, or are you talking about Grade 5 on the Yosemite Decimal Scale? On that scale, Grade 5 means you need a rope! The A-T is seldom harder than Grade 3 by that scale: 3 means you use your hands for balance but don't need to support body weight with them. The hardest moves I've ever seen on a trail blazed for hiking are about a 5.4, and they're vanishingly rare. The trails that have them get included on people's top 10 lists of "toughest hiking trails." Anything with a long Grade 5 pitch is a technical climbing route, not a hiking trail!

You didn't mention where you're hiking, but scrambling a recent rockslide is probably harder than anything on the A-T with the possible exception of Beaver Brook on Moosilauke, a couple of spots in the Presidentials, Mahoosuc Notch/Mahoosuc Arm, and Katahdin. And a northbounder encountering those has had a few months to get into shape to tackle them. My guess is that you're starting off better than you think. (Disclaimer: I've not yet done the Mahoosucs or Katahdin. I'm a clueless weekender, and my weekends are more likely to be in upstate New York. But I have done Moosilauke several times, and the Presidential traverse once, and enjoyed them, bad knee and all.)

Second Half
10-08-2013, 00:23
Before you give up on hiking try these 2 things: Hiking poles and Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps.

I can't claim a large number of miles, but when I started hiking I had bad pain in the knees on both ups and downs. I first got the poles which solved about 30% of the problem, then the Cho-Pats which fixed the other 70%. My knees now hike pain-free.

No guarantees as your problems may well be different than mine, and again I don't have a lot of miles under my boots, but I'd have given up entirely after a few day hikes if I hadn't gotten these. It's worth a try.

Trailweaver
10-08-2013, 01:14
What you do in these circumstances is this: make adjustments. You get the hiking poles, you get the knee braces, you hike shorter distances, you take the anti-inflammatory meds, you crawl up the steep places, and you "butt scoot" down the steep places BUT you don't just decide you cannot do it without trying. I've been out there at times when I thought I simply couldn't "do it" (whatever "it" was), but I looked at the moment, thought about it, and made another plan. You can do it if you really, really want it bad enough to make an alternative plan.

futureatwalker
10-08-2013, 02:20
You can do it. Just take your time, and start with easier hikes. It doesn't matter how easy. As you trail fitness grows over the winter, you can try to go further. If your body is starting to rebel, you have to dial it back a bit for the day.

To put it in a different context, I regularly train for marathons. It's always hard. And I always have some bad training runs where I feel physically and psychologically spent. But now I know that this is just part of the cycle. You have to put the bad runs behind you, and keep going.

moytoy
10-08-2013, 04:11
I hope I can find a way to do it now....

I'm pretty much in the same position as you jefals. Except I'm not retired yet and I have been hiking on the AT since I was 12. But I still don't know that I can do the whole thing in one year. My first goal is to make it from Springer to Fontana. I'll continue on from there if all is going OK. Here is the way I figure it. I've got 6 months of good hiking weather. If it takes me 6 months to get to Fontana then I've had a nice 165 mile hike:)
We just won't know until we try. :)

daddytwosticks
10-08-2013, 07:11
I'm pretty much in the same position as you jefals. Except I'm not retired yet and I have been hiking on the AT since I was 12. But I still don't know that I can do the whole thing in one year. My first goal is to make it from Springer to Fontana. I'll continue on from there if all is going OK. Here is the way I figure it. I've got 6 months of good hiking weather. If it takes me 6 months to get to Fontana then I've had a nice 165 mile hike:)
We just won't know until we try. :)
I like the way you think. :)

MuddyWaters
10-08-2013, 07:39
Unless you have joint damage or degeneration such as arthritis, your problems can be overcome.

See a physical therapist, learn how to strengthen the muscles, and stretch the tendons, and take it easy and slow and you will be fine.

I have limped 40 miles+ before without bending a hurt knee. You can find ways not to stress areas that hurt.

Weather-man
10-08-2013, 08:21
I have similar issues with my lower extremities and hips due to decades of abuse and endurance events.

The key to being able to get out there is to #1 have a full understanding of what exactly is happening in your body. Many issues can be mitigated but some can't, such as bone-on-bone wear. You need to know what's going on, beyond just the anectdotal pains.

#2 Once you have a better understanding, with a physicians input, I'd suggest you speak with a PT to see if there are targeted exercises that might benefit you. e.g. targeted exercises within the Quadriceps groups, particularly vastus lateralis and medialis, to extend the attachment points and stabilize the patella...etc....
Beyond exercise there are newer COX inhibitors that are pretty effective for chronic inflammation of the joints. Also, you may consider cortico-steroid/ lidocaine injections to break the inflammatory cycle. If you do go this route get a good Doc that understands hiking and sports as it's easy to mask symptoms and cause further damage. Done properly and for the right reasons these injections can be a God-send.

#3 Pace yourself and go LIGHT...it's not a race in the purest sense, though I suppose a thru hike does have time frame it's pretty wide if you start early. There is also gear available now that was undreamt 10 years ago. It's very possible to carry a sub 20lb pack and be very comfortable. As mentioned....USE STICKs! They will benefit you on many levels.

Finally, don't give up the dream. It's the whipped cream on the Sundae of life!

mikec
10-08-2013, 09:01
Do it in sections, take your time and get a hiking buddy. I've been trying to knock out the AT for about 17 years now. Only have about 300 miles to go. Unfortunately, those 300 miles are in NH and ME, the most difficult parts, but I plan to take it slow, do small sections and eventually get her done.

slbirdnerd
10-08-2013, 09:20
[QUOTE=Second Half;1564248]Before you give up on hiking try these 2 things: Hiking poles and Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps.
/QUOTE]

Definitely the poles, and the knee brace. Mainebob on here and his daughter (who is 12) completed what, 1400+ miles? (Sassafras and Kaboose) He uses those Cho-Pat things I think. Plus, it's not a race and you don't have to fly up those mountains. There are strategies for hiking uphill without killing yourself so research and try some. Maybe start section hiking, long weekends first, get into the groove. Plan short days and stop when you planned to in the beginning, giving yourself and your knees time to rest. You can do it!

Pedaling Fool
10-08-2013, 09:33
Weather-man makes some good points. My basic answer is to start a robust and well-rounded exercise regimen. However, that does not work the same for people with "conditions", such as the already mentioned "bone-on-bone wear".

However, if that's not an issue, or some other serious malady, than I would suggest that your exercice regimen is not sufficient. It seems from your OP that you got stuck in a routine and given enough time in a given routine the body becomes very well adapt at that, but when you attempt to change it up the body revolts. That's why I say, there is no one exercise regimen to maintain a healthy body, you just have to throw different things at it, because any form of exercise may exercise certain parts very well, but it ignores other parts and over time you start to feel that.

Walking up a flight of stairs is a good thing, but if that's all you do you probably have good quads, and quads are a big part of hiking, but you need a lot more than just quads to hike the AT.

Why did you stop running? You say you use an eliptical, which is great for cardio, but again, hiking requires much more than good cardio and strong quads, especially at your age. However, the problem with elipticals is the same thing they use to promote them, which is low-impact. Sounds great, but the fact is, life is impact, you can not avoid it; as they say, if you can't beat them, then join them. In other words, you need to develop the body to deal with impact. Hiking is NOT a low-impact activity.

You may want to consider starting a well-rounded weightlifting program and some running.

Kerosene
10-08-2013, 10:10
You might want to have your knees checked out (both MRI and X-ray ideally) before you try much. As you age, it is not at all unusual for people to contend with prior meniscus and ligament tears. However, it is even more likely that you have some level of osteoarthritis which typically results in pain and inflammation. If that is the case, then the best you can do is wear a cumbersome knee brace and eventually get a knee replacement of some sort. Basically, I've been told I have to deal with the pain until such time as I can no longer bear it and get a knee replacement.

You might also ask your doctor to prescribe anti-inflammatories for your hike. I take up to 1000 mg of naproxum-sodium (Aleve) every morning and evening for a week before through a week after my section hikes. That's the only thing that allows me to keep going anymore, and even then I'm hiking half the distance that I used to.

Get those trekking poles; keep doing your cardio; and see if you can complement the cardio with some dynamic stretching, plyometrics, and varied movement to build up the smaller, stabilizing muscles around your knees.

TheYoungOne
10-08-2013, 10:30
Don't be discouraged. Get evaluated by your doctor to make sure everything is OK for you to exercise and hike. If you are obese, it would help to go on a diet and drop excess weight. Talk to a physical therapist or a exercise trainer about proper exercise to strengthen your knees. You definitely need poles, I'm in my 40's and I use poles. There are tons of retired guys/gals in their 60's that completed an AT thru hike.

jefals
10-08-2013, 10:39
I know that's true -- it's just, as I mentioned, I've been thinking of doing the whole trail for decades! I've always felt that doing part of it is kind of like playing 3 quarters, or 7 innings! But I could see that I might have to adjust my thinking, and set my goal so that "doing all of it" means, say, Springer to Maryland, maybe. Gonna try those hiking poles on that mountain I tried the other day first, tho! :)

fredmugs
10-08-2013, 10:53
When I blew out my knee the first time I hiked in Maine I rehabbed it riding an upright exercise bike. At first I could only do 20 minutes and then I slowly added 5 minutes over time until my current hour. I hate ellipticals and I don't think they are helping your knee issue and could possibly be hurting it. Try replacing the elliptical with something else.

jefals
10-08-2013, 11:02
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. First, I was going to try and respond individually to some of these posts...I thought that if I clicked the little "reply" arrow under a post, that my reply would show up under that particular person's post -- but I see that it just doesn't work that way. ( My prior post ..."I know that's true..." was in response to the first feedback re. not having to do the whole thing)....
Anyway, I really appreciate all the words of encouragement. I've had the knee looked at before -- and I've been to P.T. It's a "meniscus" issue -- which is the pad between the bones. There was a time when the pain was much worse than it is now, and that was during a period when I was going thru some depression and was in "couch potato" mode for a couple of years. Since I've been back working out, it's not as bad.
Thanks for the advice re. the cho-pat knee straps. I've never heard of those, and will check them out. I was wearing a knee brace (one of those ace bandage kind of things). I had mixed feelings on that. Yes it gave my knee additional support, but I think it cuts down on flexibility at the same time.
Also, thanks for the advice re. not giving up. Believe me, I won't do that! At least not yet. And, yes, if I do the whole 2184...(it's 2184? I thought it was 2175!...2184? OMG!!! :) ), well, if I can't make the whole 2184, then I'll just do it my way, and do what I can.
Since I live in California, hiking the AT is not something I want to do as a section hike. For me, it's going to be a one-time adventure.
Thanks again. I really do appreciate all the encouraging and helpful feedback. You guys are great, and I wish you all great success on your journeys thru life!

Pedaling Fool
10-08-2013, 12:24
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. First, I was going to try and respond individually to some of these posts...I thought that if I clicked the little "reply" arrow under a post, that my reply would show up under that particular person's post -- but I see that it just doesn't work that way. ( My prior post ..."I know that's true..." was in response to the first feedback re. not having to do the whole thing)....Hit the "Reply With Quote" button (directly to the right of the "Reply" button) that is directly under the post you want to have a person's post appear above your response.

I would just like to emphasis how important weightlifting is to building strong knees, which requires strengthening all the connective tissues in that area and of course bone mass in general; it's never too late to start. http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=19953 Good nutrition and sufficient calcium by themselves is not enough to fight off the effects of osteoporosis and other effects of ageing and injury.

It's not like you have to start with weights in the beginning, just doing calisthenics is a start. Squats without weight is a workout.

Doing specialized PT for your knee issues are a good thing, to a point. After you're rehabilitated to some point you must continue to build on that or you will only go backwards.

I do a lot of cycling and running and I'm always miffed when other cyclists and runner's rebuff weight training. Yet, when they become injured nearly all resort to some form of weight training to rehabilitate:rolleyes:

Here's a very good example for rehabilitating an injury to the achilles tendon, it's called a Calf Down exercise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EKuuZ7C2E

That area of my foot is so built up from years of weight training, it would take a significant event to cause injury to my achilles tendon as well as the rest of my body. So I ask, why be reactive when you can be proactive and prevent many injuries? It's especially important at our age.

Symba
10-08-2013, 19:55
I didn't see anyone, sorry if I missed it, mention insoles. Have your feet checked out too. Insoles have helped with stabilization in my legs equating to lessening lower back pain and increasing my ability to hike better. Get a set of hiking poles, a must. Just do it. At times I didn't need mine and simply carried them in one hand or collapsed them and stashed them on the side of my pack. They are worth their weight. But really, look into insoles and foot stabilization to help stabilize your knees. I'm going to look into the Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps for myself now. My right knee is bugging me on day hikes (grumble grumble).

jefals
10-08-2013, 20:44
I didn't see anyone, sorry if I missed it, mention insoles. Have your feet checked out too. Insoles have helped with stabilization in my legs equating to lessening lower back pain and increasing my ability to hike better. Get a set of hiking poles, a must. Just do it. At times I didn't need mine and simply carried them in one hand or collapsed them and stashed them on the side of my pack. They are worth their weight. But really, look into insoles and foot stabilization to help stabilize your knees. I'm going to look into the Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps for myself now. My right knee is bugging me on day hikes (grumble grumble).

insoles, ok, I'll look into that also. Thanks for the advice. I was checking out the cho-pats, and came across something called a "jumper's band", or something like that. Looks like a single band that goes under the knee. I don't know how much help something like that would be, but it SOUNDED good, because "jumping" -- or maybe "falling" is a better description -- where you're going from one foot two or three feet above the other, and you land with that weight on the knee -- that's one of my main kind of issues. My doc says there are deposits, like crystals, in the pad in the knee, so, when the top bone goes down on that pad, it's a little like walking barefoot on sharp rocks. I mentioned earlier, this was a lot worse a few years ago, when I wasn't exercising regularly. Now, it's barely noticeable in just day to day activity; I do feel it when working out, but it's manageable -- but not on a difficult hike! But, gonna follow the advice I've found here -- gonna start some squats like someone mentioned, and see if that helps also. That sounded like , if any type of exercise would help this problem, squats sounds like one that will help.

TrippLite
10-08-2013, 21:10
Include seated leg curls into your exercise program.. If not already, start taking glucosamine chondroitin, grape seed extract or similar products..
Search online... these supplements do work..

Abner
10-08-2013, 21:42
The other thing to work on is gathering the lightest equipment (that you can afford and are comfortable with) that will do the job for your hike. Lighter is better---and the choices these days for light equipment can reduce your pack load in a manner that we would have thought impossible and unbelievable several decades ago. You can also combine your light backpack with shuttle services that will carry your load ahead of you for the first sixty or seventy miles, so that you can get used to the walking on the AT and then add your pack. Check out Warren Doyle's offerings along these lines http://www.warrendoyle.com/ATI.html. He helps people greatly increase their odds of finishing, by offering excellent pre-hike coaching and instruction, and if you want him to, he'll provide shuttle and support services for you to get a gradual start with the "heavy lifting" after you have acclimated a bit to the trail. I don't know him personally, but certain folks on this site rave about the help they've been given by Warren Doyle. A google search just informed me that in his most recent group that he shepherded along the trail the average age was 56 years. Good luck, best wishes on your preparations for your hike. ---Abner

GreatDane
10-09-2013, 17:44
Love my cho-pats. I have the ones with the strap above and below the knee, and can't believe the difference between the days I use them and the days I don't. I have two bad knees (one from helping my son move heavy furniture out of a second story apartment and the other from a long downhill on my first AT test hike), and when I use the cho-pats, my knee caps are so stabilized that the pain never gets a chance to start. I would definitely check with a health care provider to make sure you're getting the correct support for your particular problem. That said, I also use hiking poles, make sure I exercise all the muscles in my legs and butt on machines and with free weights, walk as many hills as I can find here in Florida, stretch, never go out without my Superfeet insoles, and have reduced my winter pack weight (with five days of food) to 25 pounds. I'm really slow, but really, really determined to make it all the way in 2014. Don't give up, and keep training! If I can do it, so can you!!

jefals
10-09-2013, 23:05
Love my cho-pats. I have the ones with the strap above and below the knee, and can't believe the difference between the days I use them and the days I don't. I have two bad knees (one from helping my son move heavy furniture out of a second story apartment and the other from a long downhill on my first AT test hike), and when I use the cho-pats, my knee caps are so stabilized that the pain never gets a chance to start. I would definitely check with a health care provider to make sure you're getting the correct support for your particular problem. That said, I also use hiking poles, make sure I exercise all the muscles in my legs and butt on machines and with free weights, walk as many hills as I can find here in Florida, stretch, never go out without my Superfeet insoles, and have reduced my winter pack weight (with five days of food) to 25 pounds. I'm really slow, but really, really determined to make it all the way in 2014. Don't give up, and keep training! If I can do it, so can you!!

Thanks, GreatDane. Someone had mentioned insoles, but not a brand, so I'll check those "Superfeet" ones out.

jefals
10-09-2013, 23:19
I don't know what you mean by "Level 5" - is it a classification your local trail conference uses, or are you talking about Grade 5 on the Yosemite Decimal Scale? On that scale, Grade 5 means you need a rope! The A-T is seldom harder than Grade 3 by that scale: 3 means you use your hands for balance but don't need to support body weight with them. The hardest moves I've ever seen on a trail blazed for hiking are about a 5.4, and they're vanishingly rare. The trails that have them get included on people's top 10 lists of "toughest hiking trails." Anything with a long Grade 5 pitch is a technical climbing route, not a hiking trail!

You didn't mention where you're hiking, but scrambling a recent rockslide is probably harder than anything on the A-T with the possible exception of Beaver Brook on Moosilauke, a couple of spots in the Presidentials, Mahoosuc Notch/Mahoosuc Arm, and Katahdin. And a northbounder encountering those has had a few months to get into shape to tackle them. My guess is that you're starting off better than you think. (Disclaimer: I've not yet done the Mahoosucs or Katahdin. I'm a clueless weekender, and my weekends are more likely to be in upstate New York. But I have done Moosilauke several times, and the Presidential traverse once, and enjoyed them, bad knee and all.)
The "level 5" is how this book I bought classifies this particular trail, with 5 being the most difficult. The book contains descriptions of several hikes in my area, (around Sacramento, CA). Lots of these trails are in the Sierras, but this one wasn't. Yes, when I wrote my original post, I was thinking of some of these northern states you mentioned. Although I haven't hiked at all, especially on the A.T., I have been doing my research, and watching several "youtubes", reading other folks' experience -- so, I had read about the difficult and rocky areas in some of the northern areas. So I was thinking that my experience last weekend gave me a little taste of what some of that must be like!

jefals
10-09-2013, 23:21
I like the way you think. :)

me too! :)

jefals
10-09-2013, 23:28
Do it in sections, take your time and get a hiking buddy. I've been trying to knock out the AT for about 17 years now. Only have about 300 miles to go. Unfortunately, those 300 miles are in NH and ME, the most difficult parts, but I plan to take it slow, do small sections and eventually get her done.

Congratulations, Mike .. I know you'll finish that 300! For me, it's going to be a one-time adventure, so I'll do as much as I can. I now live in California, but grew up in the south, and for a time I worked downtown Atlanta. And there were many weekends back then where my buddy and I got on our Kawasakis (yeah, we couldn't afford Harleys), and left after work on Fridays, heading up into North Georgia, and up into Tennessee, and those mountains. That's beautiful country, and I look forward to however much of this adventure the fates have in store for me!

Ken.davidson
10-10-2013, 08:01
Pack light get some poles and take it slow and easy. I did 60 miles in Ga in March and yes Sassafras and Blood Mountain kicked my butt. I will be back on the AT within two weeks. At 65 it takes us a little longer to get our hiking legs. Don't give up on your dream.

Prime Time
10-10-2013, 09:24
I just finished my first thru hike a few weeks ago. I turned 60 on the trail and can tell you, without a doubt, that unless you have a serious injury or condition, you can do this. I met many people in their 60's and several in their 70's who hiked and finished. Based on my experience I would say that at our ages, it's all in the preparation. First, I would recommend hiking 2 or 3 times a week, with hills. I live in the White Mountains so every one of my hikes is with hills. They don't have to be rock scrambles, just good thousand foot or more climbs with about a 30 pound pack. I used to put a 40 pound bag of dry dog food in my pack. This is far more beneficial for your preparation than flat "walks" in the woods. These should be 8 to 10 mile hikes so you really work every hiking muscle in your body. Longer is better if you have the time. Next, consider cycling with a road bike a couple times a week. Try to work your way up to good 30 or 40 mile rides. This will build your cardio and your leg muscles without impact to your knees and joints. Sign up for spinning classes in the winter and use a Stair-master if you can get access to one. A year of this and you'll be more than ready for the AT. Good luck!

q-tip
10-10-2013, 10:10
In 2010 I had my third major psychiatric breakdown--went in for shock treatments and was dead on the table for 3 1/2 minutes and in a coma for 2 weeks. Several days out for the coma I decided I would do the AT. In March 2009-still sick, I started from Springer and by the time I got to Franklin NC I could barely walk. Left the trail, determined to come back. In Aug. 2010 I was healthy and went back to Franklin-determined to get to Harpers Ferry, I know I could not get the whole thing done. Three months later, On Nov. 3, I walked into Harper's. With slightly torn ligaments in my left ankle and partially torn cartilage in my left knee. But, I made my goal, the third hardest thing I have ever done behind getting sober and getting educated. Get Fit, Get the right equipment for you, and start walking... If I can do that much, anyone can.

flemdawg1
10-10-2013, 16:14
It's estimated that 50-80% don't finish a thru-hike, sometimes its a health issue like yours. Right now you have the advantage of knowing of a problem ahead of time, instead of finding out 4 days into the TH. And you have lots of time to heal/strengthen the areas that might bother you. Even though you might fail at a TH, it's the adventure of the journey that is real goal, not reaching Katahdin.

Don't pressure yourself about whether you can complete it. You could be a week into it and decide you hate it, get hit by a car, fall off a cliff..... or whatever.

mainebob
10-10-2013, 18:59
I started with knee braces, I have not been able to hike without them for ten years (sports and work injuries/over use) . BT the time we get to the smokies I had sent them both home. My knees got stronger and I never had significant pain for the rest of the hike. I would recommend the knee braces, hiking poles, starting slow, shorter miles, increasing as you feel able and have the lightest pack you can.

mainebob
10-10-2013, 19:03
I forgot to mention super feet insoles. I always thought they were a scam, bet got a pair in hot spring and were them every day. I would not hike without them and even were them at work because I am on my feet most of the day. They really help.

jefals
10-10-2013, 21:58
The other thing to work on is gathering the lightest equipment (that you can afford and are comfortable with) that will do the job for your hike. Lighter is better---and the choices these days for light equipment can reduce your pack load in a manner that we would have thought impossible and unbelievable several decades ago. You can also combine your light backpack with shuttle services that will carry your load ahead of you for the first sixty or seventy miles, so that you can get used to the walking on the AT and then add your pack. Check out Warren Doyle's offerings along these lines http://www.warrendoyle.com/ATI.html. He helps people greatly increase their odds of finishing, by offering excellent pre-hike coaching and instruction, and if you want him to, he'll provide shuttle and support services for you to get a gradual start with the "heavy lifting" after you have acclimated a bit to the trail. I don't know him personally, but certain folks on this site rave about the help they've been given by Warren Doyle. A google search just informed me that in his most recent group that he shepherded along the trail the average age was 56 years. Good luck, best wishes on your preparations for your hike. ---Abner
I haven't even begun to seriously research equipment yet, except I'm definitely with you re. lighter is better. I have watched a few youtubes on the subject -- different hikers with their different ideas of what to take. I mentioned before, I've never really done any hiking, and just getting into it now... Well, I've only camped a handful of times also, and those were all just one-night trips, mostly at KOAs, so they probably don't count for much! My most memorable experience camping, tho, was at Yosemite. The bathroom was all lit up, so you can easily see it from your tent, in the middle of the night. However, the way back to the tent --- well, that was a different story, and I got all turned around, and wound up traipsing around in the woods -- and at a certain point I heard something that sounded like very heavy breathing behind me.... (Haven't been back to Yosemite since!).

jefals
10-10-2013, 22:08
I just finished my first thru hike a few weeks ago. I turned 60 on the trail and can tell you, without a doubt, that unless you have a serious injury or condition, you can do this. I met many people in their 60's and several in their 70's who hiked and finished. Based on my experience I would say that at our ages, it's all in the preparation. First, I would recommend hiking 2 or 3 times a week, with hills. I live in the White Mountains so every one of my hikes is with hills. They don't have to be rock scrambles, just good thousand foot or more climbs with about a 30 pound pack. I used to put a 40 pound bag of dry dog food in my pack. This is far more beneficial for your preparation than flat "walks" in the woods. These should be 8 to 10 mile hikes so you really work every hiking muscle in your body. Longer is better if you have the time. Next, consider cycling with a road bike a couple times a week. Try to work your way up to good 30 or 40 mile rides. This will build your cardio and your leg muscles without impact to your knees and joints. Sign up for spinning classes in the winter and use a Stair-master if you can get access to one. A year of this and you'll be more than ready for the AT. Good luck!
That 's fantastic, PrimeTime -- Congratulations! That is awesome! You said this was your FIRST thru-hike.... Sounds like you're not done yet! That's great, and best of luck on all your remaining thru hikes!
And thanks much for the encouragement and the very specific advice! I'm in a valley, so for me to get to some serious uphills requires a bit of driving, but I can at least do it once a week. While I might be in perfect shape for hiking, I am generally pretty fit. And I know I can take it easy at first, to get used to the climbing. And the main thing that's worrying me is some of that "rock-climbing" I read about as you get farther north...
THis hike is probably going to start spring of 2015 for me.

jefals
10-10-2013, 22:18
[QUOTE=q-tip;1804385]In 2010 I had my third major psychiatric breakdown--went in for shock treatments and was dead on the table for 3 1/2 minutes and in a coma for 2 weeks. Several days out for the coma I decided I would do the AT. In March 2009-still sick, I started from Springer and by the time I got to Franklin NC I could barely walk. Left the trail, determined to come back. In Aug. 2010 I was healthy and went back to Franklin-determined to get to Harpers Ferry, I know I could not get the whole thing done. Three months later, On Nov. 3, I walked into Harper's. With slightly torn ligaments in my left ankle and partially torn cartilage in my left knee. But, I made my goal, the third hardest thing I have ever done behind getting sober and getting educated. Get Fit, Get the right equipment for you, and start walking... If I can do that much, anyone can.[/QUO
Thanks for sharing this. This is very inspiring - a remarkable achievement! When I get back on my "practice" mountain out here, I am going to try and recall this story when I get to that rockslide... Best of luck to you!

jefals
10-10-2013, 22:23
I started with knee braces, I have not been able to hike without them for ten years (sports and work injuries/over use) . BT the time we get to the smokies I had sent them both home. My knees got stronger and I never had significant pain for the rest of the hike. I would recommend the knee braces, hiking poles, starting slow, shorter miles, increasing as you feel able and have the lightest pack you can.
Thanks MaineBob. Lots of recommendations on the cho-pats, which I had never heard of, but I'm going to get some. Also the hiking poles. I hope my knees also get stronger, but I think I might have something different than you. In my case, I'm not sure it's a question of strength, so much as wear on the pad between the bones. Oh well -- Hey! At least I made it to the "Golden Years"! :)

jefals
10-10-2013, 22:24
I forgot to mention super feet insoles. I always thought they were a scam, bet got a pair in hot spring and were them every day. I would not hike without them and even were them at work because I am on my feet most of the day. They really help.

​Yeah, someone else mentioned those too...They're on my list!

Gonecampn
10-11-2013, 21:38
Never had any problems at all until 2012. Fortunately the weekend this began I had my hiking poles with me "which I don't usually carry" They did help a lot but the last mile and half I was in so much pain and near tears. I thought I was going to have go be carried off if the Pinhoti along with my pack. It was our last hike of the year. The beginning of 2013 I was very nervous about hiking any distance so I started out with day hikes or 8 -10 miles and little weight. I also started taking prescription Naproxen a day or two before hikes. I gradually added weight and distance to each hike. I believe and Dr. Agreed with me that the naproxen probably saved the day "or the hiking season". By the middle of the Summer I was able to hike many times with little or no meds. It seemed like when I went a length of time with out hiking that I would have pain for the first several trips. Maybe it's a muscle thing? MY knees give me trouble on the down hills only. I'm like a Mountain goat going uphill but sometimes have excruciating pain on the downhills. I too take the "side step" method on the down hills, it does help. I don't know how much longer the meds will help or if I will need surgery, etc.but I also had that sinking feeling of "I cant live life without the trail"! So far, so good for me. We just planned our next leg of the Benton MacKaye tonight! We had agreed to do the remainder in 2013 but our team was together tonight for a business meeting and decided to rent a cabin. In Blue Ridge Ga in a couple of weeks for some R&R. I noticed that the cabin bumps up to the BMT ..... I said Hey guys! I've got an idea ...... The team started talking about it and became stoked about the idea. So in Nov we will be completing Blue Ridge to Springer :) been about a month since I've been on the trail and I've got a month to prepare my knees and body for the trip. Now I have motivation and something I am looking forward to. Don't let your problem get you down see a doc and get some meds ...... And HIKE :) Happy trails ........

jefals
10-12-2013, 02:18
Never had any problems at all until 2012. Fortunately the weekend this began I had my hiking poles with me "which I don't usually carry" They did help a lot but the last mile and half I was in so much pain and near tears. I thought I was going to have go be carried off if the Pinhoti along with my pack. It was our last hike of the year. The beginning of 2013 I was very nervous about hiking any distance so I started out with day hikes or 8 -10 miles and little weight. I also started taking prescription Naproxen a day or two before hikes. I gradually added weight and distance to each hike. I believe and Dr. Agreed with me that the naproxen probably saved the day "or the hiking season". By the middle of the Summer I was able to hike many times with little or no meds. It seemed like when I went a length of time with out hiking that I would have pain for the first several trips. Maybe it's a muscle thing? MY knees give me trouble on the down hills only. I'm like a Mountain goat going uphill but sometimes have excruciating pain on the downhills. I too take the "side step" method on the down hills, it does help. I don't know how much longer the meds will help or if I will need surgery, etc.but I also had that sinking feeling of "I cant live life without the trail"! So far, so good for me. We just planned our next leg of the Benton MacKaye tonight! We had agreed to do the remainder in 2013 but our team was together tonight for a business meeting and decided to rent a cabin. In Blue Ridge Ga in a couple of weeks for some R&R. I noticed that the cabin bumps up to the BMT ..... I said Hey guys! I've got an idea ...... The team started talking about it and became stoked about the idea. So in Nov we will be completing Blue Ridge to Springer :) been about a month since I've been on the trail and I've got a month to prepare my knees and body for the trip. Now I have motivation and something I am looking forward to. Don't let your problem get you down see a doc and get some meds ...... And HIKE :) Happy trails ........
Thanks for sharing this, Gonecampn, and I see you're from Alabama, so all I can say is ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!! (or, if you're an Auburn fan, then, oopz! :( ).
I was born and grew up in Bama (Birmingham). That's great that you've been able to find a way to continue this activity, which obviously means so much to you, and really good that you didn't need as much meds later on, and let's hope that you will NOT need that surgery!
Funny, you mentioned "Blue Ridge".. that, coincidentally, happens to be the name of the trail I was climbing, that I was referring to in my original post. The Blue Ridge Trail in the Cache Creek Regional Park. (Of course, this one just happens to be in California!). Anyway, here's hoping that you have a great November hike!

tiptoe
10-12-2013, 11:41
jefals, as you can see from the posts here, there are lots of us of a certain age with compromised knees and ankles, and we continue to chug along on the trail. I'm just back from a section hike through CT and just into MASS, and it included several steep descents over granite slabs, which were covered with wet pine needles and fallen leaves. I couldn't have negotiated them without hiking poles (and occasional inelegant but effective sit-down slides). You deal with the tricky spots one at a time, not by contemplating them in the abstract. Just keep a positive attitude and continue to hike as you are able. I think you'll find that you'll gain strength, endurance, and agility.

jefals
10-12-2013, 13:08
jefals, as you can see from the posts here, there are lots of us of a certain age with compromised knees and ankles, and we continue to chug along on the trail. I'm just back from a section hike through CT and just into MASS, and it included several steep descents over granite slabs, which were covered with wet pine needles and fallen leaves. I couldn't have negotiated them without hiking poles (and occasional inelegant but effective sit-down slides). You deal with the tricky spots one at a time, not by contemplating them in the abstract. Just keep a positive attitude and continue to hike as you are able. I think you'll find that you'll gain strength, endurance, and agility.
You're right, tiptoe, and this sounds very encouraging. I'm real thankful for all the GREAT feedback here. The hiking poles are ordered and on their way, as well as other equipment some of the folks here have recommended. I look forward to "round 2" on my mountain next weekend!

Del Q
10-12-2013, 18:53
Absolutely YES on hiking poles, the AT is no trail.............a thru hiker said to me, "why not have 4 wheel drive"?

Good point.

There is no rule on how many miles you need to do each day.............I for one love section hiking. A thru hike is a massive challenge, I often tell people that the romantic notion of the Appalachian Trail disappears on like day 2, after the 10th big up and maybe some nice hard rain.

One solid option is start with some of the HOT spots, the southern balds would be a super option through the Grayson Highlands.

jefals
10-13-2013, 00:18
[QUOTE=Del Q;1804895]Absolutely YES on hiking poles, the AT is no trail.............a thru hiker said to me, "why not have 4 wheel drive"?

Good point.

There is no rule on how many miles you need to do each day.............I for one love section hiking. A thru hike is a massive challenge, I often tell people that the romantic notion of the Appalachian Trail disappears on like day 2, after the 10th big up and maybe some nice hard rain.

One solid option is start with some of the HOT spots, the southern balds would be a super option through the Grayson Highlands.[/QUOTE
Thanks Del. I'm with you on the section hiking, and I'd love to do a lot of that if I lived close by. Living in Calif, this dream I've had is going to be a one-shot (or maybe two-shots) deal. While I might, at some point, actually come back and do some section hiking, my goal -- the thing "simmering on the back-burner" all these years, was always from start to finish. And I totally understand and agree with your comment re. the romantic notion disappearing. If that happens to me, that's ok -- this isn't going to be a "forced" march or anything, so I'm just gonna get as prepared as I can beforehand, then, when I get there, I'll do what I feel like doing. Now I'm kinda thinking that maybe I should do a few weeks on the Pacific Coast Trail first -- I might do that. Of course the weather won't be the same (and it won't be anywhere NEAR as pretty!) , but it's bound to be excellent experience!

Del Q
10-13-2013, 07:35
Not sure I agree on the "pretty" comment on the PCT..............I have hiked from Erwin TN to Franconia Notch, NH ...............about 1475 miles I think.

Came off the trail in VA a few years ago with agonizing knee pain, meniscus tear, surgery, 6 months to rehab then back at it. This April (37 year back pain sufferer) my bulging disk gave out, excruciating 125 mile hike, still in pain today, had to cancel my NH/ME hike this fall which really bummed me out. Just now sleeping (mostly) through the night. Hope to be back in Erwin heading South in March/April for typical 10-12 day section hike.

From what I hear from Thru Hikers the AT from Georgia North does not have a lot of scenic views for quite some time, the "green tunnel" has you in the woods. The PCT from the pics I have seen is simply amazing. My hiking plan is to complete the AT, the the 173 miles left on the Long Trail then head out your way to Section hike the PCT.

Unless I get lucky and can retire in a year or two my math tells me that I will be in my 60's by the time I can get through all of these and then attempt the CDT.

Not sure if you take any over the counter meds for your knees, I will look up what a friend takes (Tri-Athlete), he swears by them.

Exercise - I am lucky and have a nice hill right outside of my house, before each hike I work up to a 35+ lb pack and go up and down a lot, AND sideways to strengthen my ankles. I have also had success using an elliptical and stair stepper WITH a fully loaded pack. Do not underestimate the rigor on your body of hiking for 8-10 hours per day, over rough terrain, in varied weather conditions, with a fully loaded pack.

It has cost me a good amount of money but backpacking is my hobby, with lighter gear my last hike I was right at 30lbs with food, water and scotch (1 lb). After a day or two of eating the heavy food 1st I was in the mid-20's which is super light for me. My Dr told me that on flat ground, the impact on your knees is a 4 or 5:1 relationship (= 150 lbs of additional pressure on each knee with a pack), on the ups and downs it is a 10:1 or more relationship, = 300 lbs or more of pressure on each knee with each step.

I estimated 25,000 - 30,000 steps per day, math is simple..............the knees take a real beating.

If you are dead set on a thru hike, just go for it, you probably won't die, start at Springer, shoot for 30-32 lbs all in, nothing extra makes it into your pack (I also do not cook anymore, TON of great no cook food, saves weight, can camp anywhere (don't need water to cook and clearn) and its simpler. Make it as far as you can, have a blast........take it slow.

Arnold Palmer once said that golf is 100% mental, besides the physical pain and difficulty of backpacking on the AT, it is the mental toughness that pulls you through.

It was accurately said on WhiteBlaze that nothing will get you ready for backpacking but backpacking. My best prep is going up and down the hill in front of my house an hour a day. And sideways. That has prepared me better than anything else, and a lighter pack!

Del Q
10-13-2013, 07:53
Instaflex - a close friend who completed an Ironman competition and does Triathlons on a regular basis swears by these pills. Worth a try, not cheap, I was able to buy them directly from the company and saved 50% (877) 869-3310

Again, you just don't know how your body is really going to react and hold up to consecutive days of backpacking 8-10 hours per day but getitng out there, and as Nike says...............Just Do It!

If you have the time and the money for a thru hike on the AT, go for it, not getting any younger. Light pack, leave everything extra at home, start slow (like 8 mile days) and see how it goes.

jefals
10-13-2013, 13:15
Not sure I agree on the "pretty" comment on the PCT..............I have hiked from Erwin TN to Franconia Notch, NH ...............about 1475 miles I think.

Came off the trail in VA a few years ago with agonizing knee pain, meniscus tear, surgery, 6 months to rehab then back at it. This April (37 year back pain sufferer) my bulging disk gave out, excruciating 125 mile hike, still in pain today, had to cancel my NH/ME hike this fall which really bummed me out. Just now sleeping (mostly) through the night. Hope to be back in Erwin heading South in March/April for typical 10-12 day section hike.

From what I hear from Thru Hikers the AT from Georgia North does not have a lot of scenic views for quite some time, the "green tunnel" has you in the woods. The PCT from the pics I have seen is simply amazing. My hiking plan is to complete the AT, the the 173 miles left on the Long Trail then head out your way to Section hike the PCT.

Unless I get lucky and can retire in a year or two my math tells me that I will be in my 60's by the time I can get through all of these and then attempt the CDT.

Not sure if you take any over the counter meds for your knees, I will look up what a friend takes (Tri-Athlete), he swears by them.

Exercise - I am lucky and have a nice hill right outside of my house, before each hike I work up to a 35+ lb pack and go up and down a lot, AND sideways to strengthen my ankles. I have also had success using an elliptical and stair stepper WITH a fully loaded pack. Do not underestimate the rigor on your body of hiking for 8-10 hours per day, over rough terrain, in varied weather conditions, with a fully loaded pack.

It has cost me a good amount of money but backpacking is my hobby, with lighter gear my last hike I was right at 30lbs with food, water and scotch (1 lb). After a day or two of eating the heavy food 1st I was in the mid-20's which is super light for me. My Dr told me that on flat ground, the impact on your knees is a 4 or 5:1 relationship (= 150 lbs of additional pressure on each knee with a pack), on the ups and downs it is a 10:1 or more relationship, = 300 lbs or more of pressure on each knee with each step.

I estimated 25,000 - 30,000 steps per day, math is simple..............the knees take a real beating.

If you are dead set on a thru hike, just go for it, you probably won't die, start at Springer, shoot for 30-32 lbs all in, nothing extra makes it into your pack (I also do not cook anymore, TON of great no cook food, saves weight, can camp anywhere (don't need water to cook and clearn) and its simpler. Make it as far as you can, have a blast........take it slow.

Arnold Palmer once said that golf is 100% mental, besides the physical pain and difficulty of backpacking on the AT, it is the mental toughness that pulls you through.

It was accurately said on WhiteBlaze that nothing will get you ready for backpacking but backpacking. My best prep is going up and down the hill in front of my house an hour a day. And sideways. That has prepared me better than anything else, and a lighter pack!
Thanks, Del for all this great info. I hope you continue to have successful hikes, rewarding and full of great challenges and memories!

Re the contrast I mentioned between the AT and PCT....First, I admit, so far, I haven't hiked at all on either!
However, I had commented earlier about back in the 70s, a friend and I used to bike up in to those N. GA mtns... To me, that was really beautiful country -- lush green hills, and into Tennessee and the Smokies. A lot of it was atmosphere also -- some of those towns up there where the women are selling their home-made jams and jellies and quilts, the blue-grass music...Nothin like it!
I also remember, back many years ago, driving between San Diego and Los Angeles, and I saw a sign that said "...National Forest" (Can't remember the actual name of the forest...), but I looked and all I saw was mainly barren brown hills -- NO TREES!!! maybe a little scrubby, patchy green here and there. It's mainly desert out here, and you'd have a tough time convincing me that the PCT is anywhere near as breathtaking as the AT. Of course, there's something to be said for that stark, desert type landscape -- but, to me, I think I'm gonna like the AT better!

Yeah, you are lucky to have that hill. I used to live in Phoenix for 3 years back in the early 80s, and there was a hill called "Squaw Peak" -- ( I know they've changed the name since then), but I used to climb that everyday after work. Of course, you'd see the same group, mostly, of folks everyday. I got to know one of them, who turned out to be a heart surgeon, and he told me that climbing was the best exercise for your heart. I don't have any hills close by now, but I do have a two-story house, so I do 20 minutes of stair-climbing as part of my daily routine...

Good advice on "not cooking"! -- thanks for that. I thought of that also. Seems like more of a hassle than I really want to deal with. But I was watching some youtubes on guys that made these alcohol stoves out of tin cans --- I thought that was kinda neat. I also saw one where this guy cooked bacon and eggs over a campfire in a paper bag! So, last time my son fired up the grill, I gave it a try, and sure enough it works! That of course, was just for fun, tho :)

Those ratios you mentioned -- really an eye-opener. I had never thought about that (and I hopefully will try NOT to think about it while hiking :) )) I agree -- that certainly is a lot of extra work on the knees.
Best wishes, Del -- happy hiking!

jefals
10-13-2013, 16:54
Uh, I was just realizing that some of the PCT goes thru the Tahoe area --- that part certainly will be spectacular, as will any of it that might go thru the redwoods... :)