PDA

View Full Version : Approach Trail

CeeJay
01-06-2003, 22:14
Is it better to do the approach trail or use the forest service road to get closer to Springer? We have someone who will drop us off.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2003, 22:23
Take the forest service road. No need to bust your ass before you actually start the AT. It's only .9 of a mile back south to the top of Springer from the parking lot. It's an easy hike so friends and/or family can see you off.

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 23:11
I felt guilty at first for skipping the approach trail. A week of hiking cured that. But the road up is rough, all the cabs were scraping their tailpipes on the way up.

PushingDaisies
01-06-2003, 23:32
Get a ride up to Springer, well as close as you can get. I wish I could have done this last year. I WILL get a ride up there this year.

smokymtnsteve
01-09-2003, 13:33
take the forest service road to the base of springer...after the short climb up springer then turning north it is a easy cruise to start your hike and get your trail legs. hawk mtn shelter is a great shelter!

Jumpstart
01-13-2003, 18:07
I disagree. DO the Approach trail. It mentally prepares you for your hike, gives you an extra day in the woods, is a beautiful walk, prepares you for the "trail in Georgia", gives you great "starting" pictures, and an amazing summit of SPringer Mountain. It is a relatively mild 8 miles, and we met a lot of people our first day on the trail this way. Felt like we were old friends by the time we reached the summit of SPringer. I'll probaably get slaughtered for this, but it's just my opinion, that if you start you hike looking for ways to skip out on miles, it doesn't set a positive tone for the remainder of your hike. The Approach trail was a great part of the trip for us. We were so anxious to get to Springer the miles seemed to fly by, and the anticipation built to the point that I cried with excitement on the summit. Don't miss it if you can help it.

Team GAK
01-13-2003, 20:50
Hey JumpStart -

I agree 100%. Don't start your adventure by taking short cuts. Those 8 miles were a good introduction to the trip. Our only disappointment was not seeing the trail littered with gear. After reading Bill Byrson, I don't know what I was expecting to see. Actually there were 5 of us in the shelter in the park at the beginning of the approach trail and we all finished.

smokymtnsteve
01-13-2003, 20:52
I'll admit that I'm blue blazing hiker trash...I like to have a good time...I solo hike and meet plenty of folks..took me 9days to get from standing indian to fontana but I spent two nights at NOC and then Two nights at fontana Inn..and then I walked up to Iceh20 shelter and spent TWO WEEKS at ice h2o shelter and then to mtn mommas for a night and then took me 4 days to get to Hot springs where I spent 3 nights at elmers..then on to damascus with 1 night in Newland NC with mu aunt sharon and uncle frank and good cooking and then to laurel creek fot the night and even spent a night in the CASTLE in hampton ...well I finally made it to damascus for "the beaver dam jam " the july the 4th celebration... It was KICKING not as crowded as trail days...

but I have walked to traildays from springer in other years ..this year I hope to walk to trail fest In Hot Springs and then hang out on a friends organic farm for a couple weeks and then maybe skip up to Mass and head north...yep I'm blue-blazing hiker trash...no purist here! I'm the kinda guy that might hang on Max Patch for two days or take a week to go from roan high top ...to grassy ridge ,,and then overmtn..and even a night on hump...i'm a charter member of the Henry david Thoreau strolling society!

Youngblood
01-13-2003, 21:12
I think that most first-timers should do the approach trail. It gives you a chance to see what it is like hiking in the mountains of north Georgia and a chance to see how your gear (shoes and pack mainly) is performing before you get too far in to turn back. If you start at Amicalola State Park and things go really bad, you only have to turn around and hike/hobble back to Amicalola SP. If you start at Springer Mountain and have really bad problems, you have to retrace your steps back to Springer Mountain and THEN DO what may be a very difficult 8.5 mile hike to Amicalola SP before you can get a ride out. In years past I have day hiked the approach trail and seen would-be thru-hikers that decided to turn back before they reached Springer Mountain (not a whole lot, just a few). Sometime the mountains are more difficult than people are physically prepared for, sometimes people are just packing more weight than they can haul up them hills, and sometimes they have shoe problems when going up and/or down the hills.

Also, it is a nice section of trail and gives you the option of spending a night on Springer Mountain and using the privy with the great view... and that my friends is a pretty good way to start your hike. I live in Georgia and had hiked all of Georgia before my thru-hike. I started at Amicalola SP on my thru-hike-- wouldn't have had it any other way. Shucks, you get to sign-in the thru-hikers register, weigh your pack and declare to the world that you're a THRU-HIKING FOOL! It's a big day, take the time to enjoy/relish it and maybe even get to know some of the other thru-hikers. Maybe you will be lucky enough to see some of these same faces on Katahdin in a few months.

Youngblood

PushingDaisies
01-13-2003, 21:28
Originally posted by Jumpstart
I'll probaably get slaughtered for this, but it's just my opinion, that if you start you hike looking for ways to skip out on miles, it doesn't set a positive tone for the remainder of your hike.

The miles on the approach trail are not included in the "total mileage" of the trail, so it really isn't looking for a way to skip out on miles.

I didn't think the approach trail was as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I also don't think it is as important an issue that everyone seems to make it out to be.

If you feel you need to do it, do it. If not, then don't. YOU are the one that sets the tone of your hike, whether it be positive or negitive and weather you do the approach trail or not.

Jumpstart
01-14-2003, 08:20
Told ya I'd get slaughtered. I understand that the Approach trail doesn't count for "official" miles. However, I was under the impression that most people undertaking the AT were there because they enjoyed hiking. If so, then why skip a great day of hiking, a beautiful trail, and a chance to take a "short cut" to the summit, when you could have an extra day in the woods? The more the better, if you ask me....:D

Peaks
01-14-2003, 08:38
My vote is do the approach trail. To me, it was a good dose of the reality of what the AT is all about. If you "blue blaze" the approach trail by going directly up the trail along side the falls, you get in a good climb that gets your heart pumping and your legs aching.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2003, 09:16
The reality is 9 out of 10 folks attempting a thru-hike won't make it to Maine. Most of them haven't done any long distance backpacking. I have seen plenty of people arrive on Springer after taking 2 days to do the approach trail and they are physically and mentally whipped. Then they START the AT blistered, sore and already feeling doubtful and defeated. There are dozens of beautiful side trails off the AT for exploration that thru-hikers never see. The approach trail is the only blue-blaze they do.

Waterbuffalo
01-14-2003, 09:45
My 2 cents is that I hate the approach trail always have and always will. I have hiked it 2 times just out with friends and I really didn't care for it. But if your going to thru-hike you should do it it's great training to the big hike.

Jeff
01-14-2003, 09:46
News Flash: Forest Service to build road to top of Katahdin:D :D

Now the debate can start for SOBO's too!!!!

Redbeard
01-14-2003, 10:02
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. Except maybe WaterBuffalo.(just kidding:cool:)

max patch
01-14-2003, 10:12
A few comments about starting at USFS 42 versus the approach trail at Amicalola State Park.

Folks who state that they won't be tied to the white blazes and will blue blaze to interesting spots should hike the approach trail. Starting at Amicalola State Park will allow you to hike from the bottom to the top of the falls. These are the highest waterfalls east of the Mississippi with a drop in excess of 700 feet.

Amicalola State Park is more "user friendly" to any non-hiking friends who may see you off. The park has picnic tables and restrooms which may be more comfortable for your goodbye sendoff. Your friends can see you off at the ranger station and then drive to the top of the falls and meet you again. From there it is an easy hike should they want to hike a bit with you.

The approach trail has an undeserved reputation as being tough. Several relocations in recent years have made this section no more difficult than any other section in Georgia.

USFS 42 is a well-maintained forest service road. A normal passenger car can safely travel on this road.

If you are looking for an "easy" first day the 8 mile hike from Springer to Hawk Mountain shelter is one of the easiest stretches in Georgia. I had planned to stay there my first night; instead I arrived there for lunch and hiked on to the Gooch Gap shelter my first day.

Neither way is more "right" than the other; depends on what you are looking for.

SGT Rock
01-14-2003, 12:05
The approach Trail isn't any harder or different than the AT in Georgia, in fact I think it was the original AT before Springer was changed to the terminus. I think it's reputation probably comes from the fact that it is the first uphill hike for a lot of people setting out on a thru-hike. Most likely those people without their trail legs, overloaded packs, ill fitting boots, and maybe not a lot of experience feel like they are getting their balls busted getting up the mountain, but I found it a nice little walk.

My personal reccomendation is hike it if you want to, but in know way do you have to do it. If you want to use it to get in shape for the trail, then you are probably already in bad shape and should have done more hiking prior to getting to Springer, but then again I haven't Thru-Hiked yet. I guess there is a benifit to doing the approach and then deciding if you could really do it at the top, or you could get to the top via FS 42, walk a couple of days and bail at Suches if you aren't ready yet just about as easy.

I guess though in the end, if you plan to walk 2160+ miles that worrying about 8 miles seems a little silly.

Waterbuffalo
01-14-2003, 16:27
Welcome back Rock hope you had a good time in the field! I agree w/ ya 8 miles is kinda hokey to worry about. In addition the Orginal trail Started on Mt Oglethorpe with I think is to the west of Springer.

WB

Peaks
01-14-2003, 18:03
Originally posted by Waterbuffalo
Welcome back Rock hope you had a good time in the field! I agree w/ ya 8 miles is kinda hokey to worry about. In addition the Orginal trail Started on Mt Oglethorpe with I think is to the west of Springer.
WB

Did the original AT come past Amicola Falls? Or is there another blue blaze that closely follows the original AT?

max patch
01-14-2003, 19:25
The original AT started at Mt Ogelthorpe, about 20 miles south of Springer. The terminus was changed to Springer in 1958 because of chicken farms and other development in the Mt Ogelthorpe area. Mt Ogelthorpe is in private hands and you can not (legally) go to the old summit anymore. The trail went from Mt Ogelthorpe to Amicalola State Park and on to Springer. The original trail went past the falls; Earl Schaffer made mention of this in his book. Except for relocations (the trail now skirts a couple mountains instead of going over them) the current approach trail is the original trail from Amicalola State Park to Springer.

Mike Drinkuth
01-21-2004, 17:41
I read somewhere that originally, the earliest design for the A.T. had it starting way down at Stone Mountain (about 65 miles south of springer)
Can you imagine that? Hiking over Kennesaw Mtn thru the civil war battlefields there past all the old cannons and historical markers.
That would be kinda cool!

BiteBlaze
01-21-2004, 18:21
I DON'T WANNA do the approach trail. It's TOO HARD.

Grampie
01-21-2004, 18:47
Do the approach trail. I did and I never regretted doing it. It was a great feeling to hike to the start of the AT. You can than spend your first night at Springer Shelter.
Grampie-N->2001

BiteBlaze
01-21-2004, 18:53

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2004, 19:54
Obviously, people can do whatever they choose, and as several folks have pointed out, the Approach Trail is not part of the official A.T.; by skipping it, you're not in any way "cheating" or dodging anything.

That being said, I think that first-timers should probably do the approach trail, for any number of reasons:

1. Springer is your first mountain, one of many hundreds that will follow. It'll mean more to you if you actually climb it, rather than drive around to the backside, and merely "tag" the summit.

2. Most folks who hike the Approach Trail finish their first day in the woods by camping on top of the mountain, usually at the Springer shelter or immediately adjacent to it. It's a great place to spend your first night, to watch the sun go down as you think about what lies ahead of you, and that way, you can start your trip early the next day from the summit.

3. As Wolf quite rightly pointed out, regrettably, most folks who start a thru-hike are not fated to complete it. What you've set out to do is tough, and the mental and physical obstacles are many; they also start right away. By hiking the Approach Trail, even if you technically don't have to, you're acknowledging how challenging your trip will actually be----to seek out "short cuts" or ways to cut corners (even legitimately) this early in the game sets a bad precedent. By setting out on a thru-hike, you're undertaking a pretty daunting challenge, and it's NOT going to be easy; if you start looking for the easy way out from day one, I think this hurts, rather than helps your chances; folks whose mindset involves looking for ways to "take the easy way out" are more likely, in my opinion, to eventually take the big easy way out, i.e., hanging it up and going home.

Happy
01-25-2004, 02:04
No it is not part of the trail...the general rule is if you have not hiked it before you should!

flyfisher
01-25-2004, 20:33
I hiked the approach trail on new year's eve a few weeks ago. It is a nice trail with interesting climbs. I enjoyed stopping in at the Hike Inn (1 mile off trail) for coffee.

Having never been to the summit before, it was an emotional few minutes to reach a spot which I had read of, dreamed of, and thought a lot about.

When I do my thru hike, I will start from ASP - despite the over-regulation. It is that nice a hike. It is also significantly easier to drive to the visitor center than Springer.

Straydog
01-26-2004, 13:33
I couldn't have said it better! I hiked it this past Saturday. Started at the visitor's center and ended at USFS 42. I stopped at the Springer Mtn. Shelter and left a note just to say hello. Nice shelter, by the way.

Being a novice hiker, this was a tough hike for me. My pack weight started out at 35 pounds, but gradually increased to 395 pounds by the end of the hike. ;)

Would I recommend it to another novice hiker? Yes, but take along some Tylenol PM to help you sleep. Your aching legs will keep you up all night if you don't!

Happy
02-01-2004, 01:18
The approach trail is VERY hard but should be used by any thruhiker who has not done it before...just part of it!! Helps weed out people who should NOT be hiking the trail to begin with.

I love to visit the hiker boxes for the first 4 days of the trail !!!

Zzzzdyd
02-01-2004, 02:43
I agree with Lone Wolf and smoky. If you have someone dropping you off do the USFS 42 early in the AM has you can manage, and let your drop off person(s) hike back to Springer with you. I let my almost ex-wife go with me once to Springer and it healed some stuff for us. I don't think any of the old time A.T hikers would ever give a hoot one way or the other about a approach trail. If they could have got to USFS 42 I am sure they either did or would have.

To thy ownself be true.

I will only do the approach trail if USFS 42 is closed and it will not make 2 cents difference one way or the other if I make it to Katahdin.

If you think you will feel somehow inferior because you don't do the approach trail then hike it. I am like smoky I might wonder all over the darn place. Hiking is nothing more than a extended walk for pleasure or exercise. I think I will get all I need of both in the 2,174.1 miles from Springer Mtn. to Katahdin. I plan on doing lots more than just white blazes along the way. I sure ani't going to worry about some approach trail. After all "approach" pretty much defines its self does it not ? it's not the trail, it's the approach to the trail...

Probably take almost ex-wife to Amicalola Park and buy her a cool shirt or something. Do the weigh the pack thing so I can brag to the newbies about how light it is... :jump Then go to USFS and the AT and start "my" hike.

good luck and have some "pleasure" on your journey

oyvay
02-01-2004, 17:02
I did the approach in 2000 and drove a friend to 42 the next year. We both "tagged" the top of Springer before heading back down, to collect her pack and head North. I liked the excitement of the other hikers(& my) attitudes on the approach, the anticipation of getting to Springer helped carry me up the trail (at least mentally). Of course it was a jaw-dropping moment when I was told about the parking lot .9 miles north of Springer :confused: The road to the parking lot is not easy, a camry can get through but you have to watch the road there are a few places that cut it close. Any vehicle lower won't make it and conditions can change depending on the winter/spring.

Newb
10-15-2005, 16:11
In one week I"m going to stop at Springer on my way to home from Florida to Virginia. I will hike the approach trail and spend the night then hike back to my car. This way, when I finally do my thru in a couple of years, I won't have to hike it again :)

Oracle
10-15-2005, 17:07
I may see you there, Newb. Next Saturday myself and a couple of friends are doing the Approach Trail spending the night on Springer or maybe further on down, depending on how far we get, then backtracking the next day by way of the trail that goes by the Hike Inn (making a partial loop). Should make a nice hike for the weekend. I've already done the "hike up and tag Springer, then hike back down and hit the rest of the trail" thing, but I haven't done the Approach Trail, so that's why we're doing it.

DMA, 2000
10-15-2005, 17:19
It meant a lot to me to spend a moment on Springer and hike the first mile with my parents, sister, and niece. A much better goodbye than Amicolola would have been

alanthealan
10-15-2005, 21:21
Hiking up the approach stopping for B-fast at the lodge is a great way to start a hike.

neighbor dave
10-15-2005, 22:05
we took the benton mckaye trail up to springer from the east! i felt like we should at least climb the first mountain on the trail.it was 1 1/2 to 2 miles of really nice quiet hiking. it drops you on the trail about .2 north of the start of the A.T. plus we payed our respects to benton mckaye for all that he did for the trail.

as for the approach trail,do what you feel you have to do to start off on track,we didn't hike it cause we didn't feel the need to climb over the mountains before springer,and didn't want to get into the crowds any earlier than we had to!:jump :banana :clap

Frosty
10-15-2005, 23:31
Hiking up the approach stopping for B-fast at the lodge is a great way to start a hike.Do you know off-hand when breakfastis erved there? In a couple weeks I'll be in GA and may do the approach trail, at least from lodge to summit. Woukld like to start as early as possible.

Rain Man
10-16-2005, 10:44
Do you know off-hand when breakfastis erved there? In a couple weeks I'll be in GA and may do the approach trail, at least from lodge to summit. Woukld like to start as early as possible.

Frosty, my family and I spent the night there at the Amicalola lodge and had the breakfast before Grass and and my Azerbajanii exchange student son hiked the Approach Trail. But I'd be afraid to guess what the breakfast hours were exactly.... seemed pretty standard hours to me.

However, as I recall, the Georgia State Parks systems has a good web site, and Amicalola is prominently on it. You might find the hours there, or at least an 800 number or email address. Just an idea.

Rain:sunMan

Youngblood
10-16-2005, 11:21
Hiking up the approach stopping for B-fast at the lodge is a great way to start a hike.
There isn't a regular type resturaunt there. Can you just stop by for breakfast? I would have thought that the meals were for the lodge guests and maybe for a few drop-ins on the occassions when they had enough food.

Grampie
10-16-2005, 11:30
If you are planing to do a thru-hike, definately do the approach trail. Amicalola Falls Park is such a nice spot to start. The approach trail starts with a beautiful stone arch to have your picture taken under.
2000 miles is a long way to walk. Do a few extra at the begining, you will be glad you did. Do the 9 miles to Springer shelter and spend the night. I did and was never sorry that I didn't take the "short cut". :)

Almost There
10-16-2005, 11:46
If you have never hiked in the Mountains along the AT, you might want to try the approach trail. Personally, once you have done Springer to Blood, the attitude is sort of what is the point. Being a section hiker, I just drive up 42 when I hike in the area. When I eventually do a thru, it won't be via the Approach. As for Camaraderie, etc., you will develop that the first couple nights on the trail anyways, or if you stop at Neel's Gap for a stay at the cabins or the hostel. I would use the first day to get used to your weight, and it's better to do this going downhill from the top of Springer to Hawk, than up eight miles IMHO. Blood isn't as tough as it seems, Sassafras is much tougher. People should be able to make it to Walasi-Yi. If you're looking for torture before you start your thru, hike the approach, you'll torture yourself enough over your 2100+ miles, why start on the first day?

Dances with Mice
10-16-2005, 12:14
There isn't a regular type resturaunt there. Can you just stop by for breakfast? I would have thought that the meals were for the lodge guests and maybe for a few drop-ins on the occassions when they had enough food.The Lodge (at the top of the Falls) has a regular restaurant http://www.amicalolafalls.com/net/content/item.aspx?s=5815.0.10.5646

The Len Foote Hike Inn serves meals to guests. Drop-ins can get a cup of coffee, but don't show up without reservations and expect more.

Youngblood
10-16-2005, 20:45
The Lodge (at the top of the Falls) has a regular restaurant http://www.amicalolafalls.com/net/content/item.aspx?s=5815.0.10.5646

The Len Foote Hike Inn serves meals to guests. Drop-ins can get a cup of coffee, but don't show up without reservations and expect more.
My mistake... as you surmised I was thinking of the Inn when the subject was the Lodge.

Frosty
10-17-2005, 07:16
The Lodge (at the top of the Falls) has a regular restaurant http://www.amicalolafalls.com/net/content/item.aspx?s=5815.0.10.5646.Thanks, don't know why I didn't find it. (B-fast hours are 7-10, btw)

shrimp
10-18-2005, 21:49
I went for a week hike (actually started monday, but only made it to tuesday night... guess not a week ;) ) and started at ASP. I made it past the Springer shelter and spent the night by the river. I then tried to get to Gooch the next night, but only made it to Cooper Gap, as I had not planned properly and ran out of water, while carrying 17lbs of food. (I overprepared a bit) Total pack weight was about 33lbs. I will definitely do the Approach when I attempt my thru in '06. Next time, I'm carrying 1/3 the food, and 1.5-2x the water.

MoBeach42
10-18-2005, 23:43
"I DON'T WANNA...IT'S TOO HARD" I couldn't have said it better! Climbing Katahdin, or Webster Cliffs is hard. The Approach Trail is not - it's a lovely set of rolling hills, and the glimpses of Springer through the trees (especially if there are snow flurries in the air) really gets your excitement level up. And at least the day I started, the two staff people atthe ASP visitors center were SUPER friendly, and gave me the best send off anyone could have ever asked for. It's like they were trained to be the most encouraging and smiley people on the planet. I found that ASP to Stover Creek was a really nice first day. Highly reccomended.

mobileman
08-08-2007, 04:05
If you start your hike at Amicacola state park and walk the .9 mile up to the restrooms before reaching the top of the falls, do you then walk past the falls? Then where do you find the continuation of the hiking path?

DavidNH
08-08-2007, 09:21
Frankly it escapes me why this subject should start such a discussion.

If you are gonna hike 2100+ miles over God knows how many mountains, what's the big deal about 7-8 miles and a 2000 some foot climb?

Regarding Lone Wolfs comment, how can one possibly spend two full days on tihs 7 mile approach trail and be wiped out? I hiked it at a very relaxed pace and got to Springer in 6 hours or so. I found that much of the AT in Georgia was way harder than the approach trail. I was a little tired yes but not extra oridnarily so. That was nothing compared to the next day when I packed up in freezing temps with a full gale blowing then hiked 13 miles in 60+ degree March heat with no water for 3-4 hours of the hike--- because I wasnt smart enough to get water at Hawk Mtn!.

The only reason I can think of to start at Forest serivce lot is if a non hiker is giving you a ride to the trail head (an aging parent who doesn't hike much for example) and would like to walk the easy .9 miles to the plaque and then back to car.

David

Mags
08-08-2007, 10:47
Frankly it escapes me why this subject should start such a discussion.

If you are gonna hike 2100+ miles over God knows how many mountains, what's the big deal about 7-8 miles and a 2000 some foot climb?

Exactly! Both ways I may add...

If you want to do it..GREAT!

If you DON'T..that's fine, too!

I never did the approach trail because of where my ride dropped me off.

And after hiking XXXX amount of miles and God knows how many mountains since that time, I really don't see the big deal about the 7-8 miles and a 2000 some foot climb.

If my ride dropped me off at Amicola Falls I'd still feel the same way.

Do it...or not. It really doesn't matter. :)

mobileman
08-08-2007, 11:18
Post #48 on this thread asks a current question THAT QUESTION IS AS FOLLOWS; After leaving the lodge at amoiacola falls thru the rear door , going thru the welcoming to the trail gate, hiking up the first .9 mile, arriving at the restrooms, turning left and walking 100 yards to view the top of the falls, which way, straight ahead in the direction you were going? OR turn around and go back to the restrooms? OR WHAT do you do to go to Springer mountain?

thestin
08-08-2007, 11:59
You can turn around and go back to the restrooms. You can also walk up the road toward the campground and cabins, and then take a right on the road that runs past the first of the cabins (You're going uphill...don't take the paved road that runs downhill out of the parking lot. That goes back to the lodge).

Follow that road...it quickly turns to dirt. The approach trail crosses the road.
Hang a left on walk to Springer.

bulldog49
08-08-2007, 13:47
There is nothing at all remarkable about the approach trail except that it is boring. If you want to take your picture at the arch behind he ASP visitor's center, stop off and then drive up to Springer.

max patch
08-08-2007, 14:27
There is nothing at all remarkable about the Appalachian Trail except that it is boring. If you want to take your picture at the arch behind he ASP visitor's center, stop off and then drive up I-95 to Katahdin.

Admittedly, I changed the quote a bit to make a point.

Just off the top of my head the Approach Trail:

1. Used to be part of the Appalachian Trail.
2. Takes you past the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi.
3. Has the traditional "hikers scale" at the visitor center.
4. Has the first shelter you'll come to.
5. Take a blue blaze to the Len Foote Hike Inn for a quick snack and to check out this unique facility. Maybe even spend the night.
6. You'll pass a spot where you used to see the wreckage of a small airplane. Gone now, but read the sign and imagine what happened.
7. The Black Mtn. Shelter "used" to be the Springer Mtn Shelter. Lots of the original thru hikers stayed there before it was helicoptered to its present location.
8. BTW, its not any tougher than anything else in GA. Several relos have made it a tamer version than in years gone by.

Dances with Mice
08-08-2007, 15:44
Post #48 on this thread asks a current question THAT QUESTION IS AS FOLLOWS; After leaving the lodge at amoiacola falls thru the rear door , going thru the welcoming to the trail gate, hiking up the first .9 mile, arriving at the restrooms, turning left and walking 100 yards to view the top of the falls, which way, straight ahead in the direction you were going? OR turn around and go back to the restrooms? OR WHAT do you do to go to Springer mountain?You mean as you leave thru the rear door of the Visitor's Center, the Lodge is up by the Falls. If you're a, uh, purist blue blazer you'd return to the restrooms. The northbound trail takes a right near there, leaving the old gravel road and heads over towards the Lodge's parking lot. You'll cross the paved road to the Lodge just below the parking lot and will see a large sign beside the road warning the unwary that they're headed towards Springer Mtn on a 'strenuous' trail. Can't miss it.

There may be other paths leading from the Falls up to the Lodge, any of them will get you to the same location.

Pedaling Fool
08-08-2007, 15:52
If you start your hike at Amicacola state park and walk the .9 mile up to the restrooms before reaching the top of the falls, do you then walk past the falls? Then where do you find the continuation of the hiking path?
There's a map(pdf format) on the Georgia State Parks website, here's a direct link:
http://gastateparks.org/content/georgia/parks/maps/Amicalola-sitemap.pdf

Midway Sam
08-08-2007, 16:06
Might be useful...

http://www.georgiahikes.com/maps/redir.asp?link=69

Dances with Mice
08-08-2007, 16:23
Might be useful...

http://www.georgiahikes.com/maps/redir.asp?link=69 Be aware that Amicalola Lake, shown on the map, was drained about 30 years ago.

weary
08-08-2007, 21:36
The approach trail is a great trail as trails go. At least better than most, including much of the Appalachian Trail.

Those who worry about doing it should ask themseves why they are planning a thru hike. If it is to enjoy six months in the woods, than do the approach trail. Those eight miles are as enjoyable as any.

But if your goal is to simply "conquer" the AT, whether you do the approach trail probably makes no difference. Some manage to reach Katahdin, while hating the trail the whole way. But that is rare, Most will find an excuse to quit long before reaching Maine.

Does it really matter if the miles before quitting include eight miles before you reached Springer?

Weary

Skidsteer
08-08-2007, 21:48
Does it really matter if the miles before quitting include eight miles before you reached Springer?
Weary

No...

It really doesn't matter either way.

whitefoot_hp
08-10-2007, 12:27
The approach trail is a great workout and a great trail. It is much easier to reach than the 'real' southern terminus, which involves some forest roads which may not accomodate all cars. amicolola state park is beautiful, i cant see why anyone would want to miss this part of GA.

And if you just go by initials, the AT and the AT are the exact same trail!

Mags
08-10-2007, 12:37
No...

It really doesn't matter either way.

Exactly.

The only important thing (as I think Weary is implying) is to enjoy your hike. Life is too short to do thing merely to put a notch on your belt.

royalusa
12-26-2007, 14:05
That the approach trail was being considered to become part of the AT??

max patch
12-26-2007, 14:22
Much of the current approach trail used to be part of the AT when the southern terminus was at Mt Oglethorpe.

Someone told you the annual rumor that the approach trail will once again be part of the AT. Not true.

Mrs Baggins
12-26-2007, 15:31
We stayed at the Hiker Hostel and had them take us up the forest road. The approach trail does not count in the actual miles of the trail. It's just not necessary. The trail starts at the top of Springer Mt and however you can get up there is just fine. We had to end our hike at Dicks Creek Gap and when we go to the trail we'll start there. We have absolutely no reason and no need to reclimb Sassafras, Blood Mt, and Kelly's Knob again - been there, done that. Plenty more mountains along the way!

ChinMusic
12-26-2007, 15:35
I plan on doing the Approach Trail when I attempt the AT. The way I look at it, it is there and I'm not in a hurry. 9ish miles means nothing compared to 2000.

weary
12-26-2007, 16:26
We stayed at the Hiker Hostel and had them take us up the forest road. The approach trail does not count in the actual miles of the trail. It's just not necessary. ...!
Hmmm. I always thought that none of the trail was "necessary," just a fun thing to do.

Route Step
12-26-2007, 22:09
My ride wanted to see the waterfalls so I got dropped off about a mile into the approach trail. We checked in at the state park and took a happy snap at the arch, then drove up to the falls. From there my hiking partner and I started the business of hiking the rest of the approach trail and the AT.
So, a slightly different version of the previous comments.

Tinker
12-26-2007, 23:27
For me, the Approach Trail was the hardest part of Georgia (or maybe I just got stronger that week - NAH!)

If you feel as though you'll miss a part of the Trail mistique, do it. If not, not.
I did it on my section hike. If I get a chance to do a thru and decide to go NOBO, I think I'd skip it.

BitBucket
12-27-2007, 00:02
My buddy and I hiked the approach trail back in mid September.. We were doing a short hike up to Neals Gap to shake down some:sun new gear and had left our car at the Visitor Center at Amicalola. We had thought about bypassing the approach trail, but decided that if we were worried about hiking that easy 8 miles, then we didn't need to be out there at all.

It certainly wasn't any harder than any of the other parts of the trail we walked on and it poured rain on us from the minute we stepped under the arch at Amicalola until we got to Black Gap Shelter. We spent the next three days enjoying really nice hiking weather.

Just think, if we hadn't taken the approach trail, we'd have missed all that fun of walking in the cold rain that first day. I say take the approach trail...it's just an afternoon stroll through the woods and gets you pumped up for a great start on Springer!

SunnyWalker
12-27-2007, 00:57
I did start at Amicolola Falls and felt that that approach trail was harder then the actual AT trail. I knew one did not have to as it was not the actual AT but it seems a good tradition. And there is a lot of stuff there at Amicolola Falls (store has maps and etc), to look at and all. Kid of the fun starting right away. I liked starting there, thats my opinion. A friend of mine hiked ahead of me and he saw a bear during the first 3 miles! -SunnyWalker

Skits
12-27-2007, 05:00
I didn't do the approach trail on my 2004 thru-hike. I am doing it this year. Not because I feel guilty about skipping it last time, I'm just curious to see what it is like.

rafe
12-27-2007, 09:39
If you're thru-hiking for the love of walking and being in the outdoors, do the approach trail. If you're doing it for the certificate, the rocker, and the bragging rights, skip it. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-27-2007, 11:38
If you're doing it for the certificate, the rocker, and the bragging rights, skip it. :rolleyes:

that would be the majority of hikers

Kirby
01-01-2008, 19:06
I plan on enjoying the Approach Trail, don't plan on going that fast. I think I will cover the trail in 4-6 hours.

Then I will march down the trail on the 1st of March.

Kirby

Smile
01-01-2008, 19:08
Save your feet, skip the approach trail if you're new out there :)

You can always drive up and hike into see the pretty waterfalls another time.

Grampie
01-01-2008, 20:27
I plan on enjoying the Approach Trail, don't plan on going that fast. I think I will cover the trail in 4-6 hours.

Then I will march down the trail on the 1st of March.

Kirby

Kirby, Do the approach trail. You will enjoy doing it and you won't be sorry. What's another 10 miles when you have 2170 to go. Happy trails on your hike. Enjoy each new day and new experience. I did.:sun

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2008, 20:28
Save your feet, skip the approach trail if you're new out there :)

You can always drive up and hike into see the pretty waterfalls another time.
I've hiked the approach trail twice and have yet to see the falls, maybe this year I'll check it out. How far is it from that parking lot (the one for the falls - on the approach trail)?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:29
Kirby, Do the approach trail. You will enjoy doing it and you won't be sorry. What's another 10 miles when you have 2170 to go. Happy trails on your hike. Enjoy each new day and new experience. I did.:sun

and do all the other side trails too all the way to maine. what's another 1000 miles or so

Skidsteer
01-01-2008, 20:35
I just did it again up and back this weekend.

Nice views in Winter.

If you enjoy hiking, by all means hike the Approach.

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:38
and do all the other side trails too all the way to maine. what's another 1000 miles or so

Kirby, don't listen to L Wolf, ....he is just being a pain for fun, not trying to actually help anyone.
My dogs have done more trail, and spent more hours volunteering than him!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487174&postcount=60

And don't forget to put me on your list, if you have time to come and visit on your hike.
Good luck, and Have A Safe Hike

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:41
Kirby, don't listen to L Wolf, ....he is just being a pain for fun, not trying to actually help anyone.
My dogs have done more trail, and spent more hours volunteering than him!

i've helped more people, done more trail and done more volunteering by accident than you and your mutt will EVER do on purpose, packsniffer :)

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:43
i've helped more people, done more trail and done more volunteering by accident than you and your mutt will EVER do on purpose, packsniffer :)

And you lied, when you said TRUCE a few days ago too!
Are you going to put in some positive feedback anytime soon?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:44
go to bed

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:47
go to bed

I came here to help folks, what is your intent?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:52
I came here to brag about myself

obviously

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 20:56
obviously

Not helpful, or even true, I did not post that

You are just being yourself, I will consider the source once again.
Now what about that Truce?

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 20:57
put me on IGNORE

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 21:00
put me on IGNORE

You gave your word and broke it, you have no honor!

I like you more than Ward Leanord though, so don't feel bad.

HeHe

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 21:01
go away

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 21:03
go away

I will go play with my son till he goes to bed.
You on the other hand, can go play with yourself until I return.

HeHeHe :banana

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 21:07
I will go play with myself. It's what I do best.

whatever floats thy boat :)

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2008, 21:07
:::buzzard nukes another bag of popcorn:::

Kirby
01-01-2008, 21:37
Mechanical Man:
I know full well at this point when Wolf is just pulling strings, but in this thread he made the valid point that thru hikers are willing to do a 8-8 mile side trip to start their hike, but not a .25 mile in the heart of their thru, he just did it his own humerous way, but the point came across.

Kirby

Lone Wolf
01-01-2008, 21:38
Mechanical Man:
I know full well at this point when Wolf is just pulling strings, but in this thread he made the valid point that thru hikers are willing to do a 8-8 mile side trip to start their hike, but not a .25 mile in the heart of their thru, he just did it his own humerous way, but the point came across.

Kirby

you "get" me. MM don't :)

Montego
01-01-2008, 21:42
Mechanical Man:

Kirby

Pretty bright lad. (OK, tell the SAR guys to stand down, no need here) :D

SGT Rock
01-01-2008, 21:59
Yes, Kirby is petty in-tune to the surroundings.

Kirby
01-01-2008, 22:15
Pretty bright lad. (OK, tell the SAR guys to stand down, no need here) :D

What about when I loose the white blazes?:eek: :D

Kirby

Montego
01-01-2008, 22:29
What about when I loose the white blazes?:eek: :D

Kirby

Were sure to cross on the trail somewhere. I'll just gather 'em up and hand them back to 'ya :D

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 22:39
Kirby, I would not be talking to you if I though you someone I wouldn't mind helping-meeting on their hike.

So are you coming down or what?:welcome
I don't even care if I disinvited Wolf a while back, ...............you can bring him too! Or are you going to make a point to NOT visit? No problem either way.

I understand his ways, he just starts busting me every time I try to help someone here at this website, he would probably be more thankful and polite at my place.

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 22:49
My wife and I used the service road for our Springer Mtn. approach.
Linda "The Crayon Lady" hiked the entire Northern 1,200 miles, and climbed Katahdin 3 times.

Kirby
01-01-2008, 22:50
Kirby, I would not be talking to you if I though you someone I wouldn't mind helping-meeting on their hike.

So are you coming down or what?:welcome
I don't even care if I disinvited Wolf a while back, ...............you can bring him too! Or are you going to make a point to NOT visit? No problem either way.

I understand his ways, he just starts busting me every time I try to help someone here at this website, he would probably be more thankful and polite at my place.

I don't own a thru hikers handbook, I am waiting for 2008 to be published, so I have no idea what services you provide. Since you are personally inviting me to stop by for a visit, I will be sure to note that in the handbook next to your listing, and do my best to be a patron, no promises though.:)

Kirby

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 23:13
I don't own a thru hikers handbook, I am waiting for 2008 to be published, so I have no idea what services you provide. Since you are personally inviting me to stop by for a visit, I will be sure to note that in the handbook next to your listing, and do my best to be a patron, no promises though.:)

Kirby

We live at Smith Gap road, approx 24 miles South of Delaware Water Gap Pa., and it ain't gonna cost you a thing. Hope to see you. :welcome

Here you go.............

One mile west to Blue Mountain Dome home of John "Mechanical Man", and Linda the "Crayon Lady" Stempa, and their son "The Blur".
Eponym of the spring .7 mile south. The Stempa's welcome you to get water at the spigot in rear of the house, to camp in the yard, and to use the outside shower. Water turned OFF in winter. If they are home they will be even more accomodating. This is a safe place to park your car. Ask about homemade alcohol stoves and "HEET" fuel, call 610-381-4606 for shuttle info.

The Mechanical Man
01-01-2008, 23:38
Oh what the heck, .......You're ALL invited!
And I do mean EVERBODY!

walkin' wally
01-02-2008, 19:35
And I do mean EVERBODY!

Is that Caveman Of Ohio on the right?

Kirby
01-02-2008, 20:03
MM:
There are those of us no in tune with the "famous" hikers. I know who the middle two are, but could you name everyone in the photos shown?

Thanks,
Kirby

Blissful
01-02-2008, 20:45
And I do mean EVERBODY!

We missed you this year. I had to make some miles in PA after getting sidetracked by a hospital visit in Carlisle. Hopefully see you in 2011 maybe if things are still going (?)

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2008, 21:18
MM:
There are those of us no in tune with the "famous" hikers. I know who the middle two are, but could you name everyone in the photos shown?

Thanks,
Kirby
Put your cursor on the image and the name(s) will appear.

rafe
01-02-2008, 21:20
Put your cursor on the image and the name(s) will appear.

That's gotta be a really early Wingfoot. Like early-mid 1980s.

The Mechanical Man
01-03-2008, 02:44
That's gotta be a really early Wingfoot. Like early-mid 1980s.

We moved here in 1989, so I guess it's 1990, or just after.

How about it Dan, can you verify the date?
I know you are watching over us all.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2008, 02:47
it's 91. his last thru-hike. the year he started at Springer drinking Slim Fast

The Mechanical Man
01-03-2008, 02:52
it's 91. his last thru-hike. the year he started at Springer drinking Slim Fast

YES....
The same year he took a 8 mile ride to Wind Gap so he didn't have to walk it.

Marta
01-03-2008, 08:04
I've hiked the approach trail twice and have yet to see the falls, maybe this year I'll check it out. How far is it from that parking lot (the one for the falls - on the approach trail)?

A hundred feet? My husband and I detoured to the falls overlook on our way back from Springer on 1/1. As you cross the road/parking lot area, look to the side away from the bathroom building. There's a little wooden bridge that goes over the top of the falls.

My $.02 on the whole Approach Trail issue...if you aren't from the area and probably won't get back there for a long time, if ever, by all means hike it. Otherwise you'll always wonder what you missed.

If you are brand new to hiking, with untested feet and gear, by all means hike it. It's a safe section that offers you good options for help/rethinking your approach ;) before you get into the areas where bailout is more difficult. It'll be a good shakedown hike, of the sort that would have been beneficial for you to have done lots of already.

If you've already done lots of hiking and have your gear and your body and mind in order, the Approach Trail is a nice prelude to the main body of the work. And it won't take very long at all--it's not even nine miles.

Besides, you really ought to go through the ritual of signing the book in the Visitor Center, and weighing your pack, and all that fun stuff.

I didn't hike the Approach Trail when I reached Springer last January, but met Josh at the summit parking lot. (I had already hiked the Approach Trail as part of a section hike so I knew it was just more of the same.) When I was at the Park a couple of days ago, I signed the SOBO register belatedly. It was fun.

valleyfire
08-25-2009, 23:05
to each their own!